Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E03: Sleigh the Runway

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, morakot said:

Designers took their own stockings to the studio -- apparently they had candy or other treats in them. Sergio asked the designers to let him have the bells that were on each stocking.

Thank you!  Please excuse my prior post questioning this!  🙂

• Love 2

What I was curious about was if anyone won 2 challenges in a row in Season 17.  The answer is no.  My theory is the judges don't want to allow it.  We'll see what happens this season.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Dr. No Help  (somebody much more clever than me said)

Delvin

I don't mind Delvin's personality and I don't mind Sergio's either.  I don't know.  Everyone's different.  Maybe having most of my immediate family as artists influences my feelings on this.  I don't mind Sergio thinking he's the shit.  Who cares?  It's not meant to be offensive to the others.  I bet Christian was kind of the same in S4, but it's been awhile.

I don’t mind Delvin or Sergio one bit, either.  But then, Christian was my favorite from Day One of his season, and I didn’t mind his “cockiness”, either.

Additionally, I think that while Sergio boasts of his abilities, he hasn’t been shown to be an asshole to the other designers.  He offered advice to Brittany and told her if he had time, he would help her string cranberries.  He hugs the other designers; congratulating or comforting them.  

Delvin likewise has offered some good advice to other designers (in fact, there seems to be quite a bit of that this season, and it’s really nice), and even though it has seemed unsolicited at times, he also hasn’t actually been wrong.

In fact, no one this season sticks out to me in a Hester Sunshine visceral dislike kinda way.  The closest anyone comes to annoying me is Victoria, but that’s really only because I haven’t liked even one thing she’s made yet.  I can almost promise you that she’ll be in the Finale, though.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It also seemed like Sergio didn't help Brittany though (LOL) but I could be wrong.

Delvin did try to verbally help Alan with his design, and he definitely turned out to be right.

Oh, Alan.

She didn't end up doing the cranberry hem.  Probably a good thing.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

Ugh, after a promising start last season I feel like we’re 100% back to the bad old days of PR.  The judging is clearly once again now often  based on things other than merit, the editing is now once again “look how incredibly much time we’re spending on this one contestant, here’s their family backstory, won’t you be surprised when they lose” and worst of all they’re slowly slipping back into the “show a contestant’s look then immediately cut to a snippy competitor saying something mean about them” habit.

I still like Christian’s energy but when we’re having to pretend that that red puffy flower dress is worthy of all those ooos and ahhhs (one of the judges said it’s couture and my husband shot back “couture 80s prom night maybe”) or pretend that Alan’s so-so look was worse than those two other absolute abominations... yeah, this is the version of PR I came to despise.

Co-signed.  I'm not finding any of these contestants worthy of note, either as reality TV personalities or as designers.  I'll stick it out, in case it gets better, but, so far, for the Bravo reboot, this is a real sophomore slump.  It's really disappointing as last season had really reinvigorated my interest in PR.

• Love 2

I'm watching this now. Sergio says the judges are going to gag when they see his dress. Although it looks like he has a good start, I couldn't help think "Don't you mean retch?"

Edited by Lamb18
Because I was right the first time and his name is Sergio.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I'm watching this now. Sergio says the judges are going to gag when they see his dress. Although it looks like he has a good start, I couldn't help think "Don't you mean retch?"

No, he doesn't mean "retch." Gagging in the drag world is a good thing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, stormy weather said:

Victoria, I really don't understand how she was in the top AGAIN. I also don't think she should've been allowed to use fabric from the pillows, that's part of the house decor, not material for the challenge. If she can use that, then everyone should've been allowed to grab curtains, tablecloths, towels, rugs and so on from the loft! Last and least, Brittany. Wow. I understand they gave her a pass because she was clearly going through a crisis and she did win the first challenge, but honestly it would've been better if she had explained her breakdown and sent nothing on the runway rather than that thing. I honestly made better paper clothes for my Barbies when Iwas 5. I felt sorry for the model and no, Nina, that "underarm cranberry" was NOT pretty.

Maybe the pillows were new to the set and just for the Christmas "party" ?  Did the print have anything to do with Kwanza?

9 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Lordy, I would not wear that nor put it on a curvy friend. All that extra volume? Skinny girls might want to wear it to round out their figures, but no full-figured woman in her right mind would! Oh, hell no! I was shocked it was on top.

Liked the plaid top, but not the shiny fringe skirt.  Also liked Victoria's dress as an over-the-top creation. Hey, it's unconventional materials!

He designed this for a thin model but fit the curvy model.  I thought it would be sublime on the runway with a tall skinny model.  I can see showing your design and esthetic by fitting a lager curvy model with the same design that you wanted to make.  if it wouldn't look great in the smaller sizes then you are going to be in the bottom and the designer would probably be eliminated.

8 hours ago, dleighg said:

I saw Nina nodding appreciatively and couldn't believe it. He took a gal who wears a D-cup bra and gave her a quadruple K!

See above.  He fit her well.  At lease he didn't complain about her breasts or curves and he really fit her.

6 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

That makes no sense.  The show should WANT the best designers to do their best work.  Otherwise, an annoyed designer would do just what Santino (Season 2) suggested: "I'd send the girl naked down the runway or the worst design EVER."  And besides, more than one designer over the years has won two in a row.  

Whenever you have immunity is the time to swing for the fences.  Try something you think is radical or risky.  You just might win back-to-back.  

BTW, where do you go to see the clothes on Bravo?  Anyone have a link?  Did Nancy use anything that broke or crushed?

Edited by Kira53
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

Maybe the pillows were new to the set and just for the Christmas "party" ?  Did the print have anything to do with Kwanza?

[...]

BTW, where do you go to see the clothes on Bravo?  Anyone have a link?  Did Nancy use anything that broke or crushed?

Hmmm I honestly can't remember whether the pillows were there from the beginning or they were added for this challenge, but I went back and rewatched the scene and there were quite a few pillows scattered on several couches in the loft, so I assume they were all there from before? I might be wrong, though. Plus, Christian mentions they can use "tree skirts, ornaments, ribbons, corn husks", which are all decorations, and nobody else used large stretches of fabric for their outfits. For sure the pillows have an African print that could be associated with Kwanzaa, but I think it's unfair that she could use real fabric for her dress when everyone else had to come up with creative ideas. Fabric is not an unconventional material! 

As for the link, here you go! 

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-18/season-18/blogs/project-runway-season-18-episode-3-recap

(scroll down for runway pictures)

• Love 11
6 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Hester Sunshine purposely sent horrendous, avant garde crap down the runway the week she had immunity last season.

She ALWAYS sent horrendous, avant garde crap down the runway.😀

• LOL 7
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Leia1021 said:

She ALWAYS sent horrendous, avant garde crap down the runway.😀

I was thinking the same thing!   How would you know that she did it because she had immunity.   To me, doing your best when you actually had immunity is a wonderful trait.  Shows character and also you never know who might be watching and loves your talent. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, dleighg said:

I saw Nina nodding appreciatively and couldn't believe it. He took a gal who wears a D-cup bra and gave her a quadruple K!

On a different yet related note, it's so nice to see how the presence of "curvy girls" is not talked about and just accepted/not discussed by the contestants.

• Love 23
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Has it ever happened with this new incarnation of the show with Karlie and Christian?

It's my personal theory, and I don't personally think it's nonsensical.  It's a theory.

Well, one could, were one so inclined and I am not, review every episode of every K & C season in order to find out if the actual results support the assertion. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, morakot said:

We saw at least one designer with his stocking in the studio -- the bald man emptied it out to see what treats there were. I would assume the other designers were encouraged to bring them with them anyway. It was not about going back to the apartment - it was about using what they had already brought.

Not to beat a dead reindeer, but wouldn’t that still be outside of the “you have only 10 minutes to gather all your materials” rule?  I don’t really care, though. I thought the dress was lovely and very deserving of the win. I can’t believe they even considered giving the nod to that puffy red abomination instead.

16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I like Christian, but he sure gave a lot of side eyes and snarky looks tonight. 

To me, that’s the best part of the show!

• Love 17

Too hard to go back and quote and having trouble with pop-ups this morning but a quick question for those of you who watched the show not falling asleep like I do. Has a curvier model ever been the winning design the past two seasons? 

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Not to beat a dead reindeer, but wouldn’t that still be outside of the “you have only 10 minutes to gather all your materials” rule?  I don’t really care, though. I thought the dress was lovely and very deserving of the win. I can’t believe they even considered giving the nod to that puffy red abomination instead.

I don't think that's considered outside the rules- it's equivalent to them having X minutes at Mood, and then later trading or giving each other fabric or notions, which has definitely happened before.

• Love 6

I concur with those that miss the up-close garment inspection from previous seasons.  I feel that it has been sacrificed to allow more time for workroom shenanigans, which honestly don't really interest me.  Bravo may have research info to buttress those editing decisions, I wouldn't know.  I don't really mind Delvin's (Devlin?) attitude, (seems smart to wear the lab coat - can you imagine all of the thread bits, lint, etc. one could accumulate while creating these garments?) but Sergio is a bit too too.  I am probably too skeptical of editors, but this show often reeks of producer heavy handedness; for example Sergio's obvious vanity, the constant smashing of the materials by that designer (without really showing how all of those bits were used), etc.

That red flower dress was horrid, forgiven by me only because of the unconventional aspect.  Any time a designer has sent a look that added bulk to a model's frame, they have been excoriated for it.  But not here?  Hmm.  Using the pillow covers should have been strongly criticized, not rewarded imo.  

I've said before that if I never saw another unconventional challenge, it would be too soon.  I haven't changed my mind.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Well, one could, were one so inclined and I am not, review every episode of every K & C season in order to find out if the actual results support the assertion. 

There's only one and I checked on Wikipedia, and they do

3 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Too hard to go back and quote and having trouble with pop-ups this morning but a quick question for those of you who watched the show not falling asleep like I do. Has a curvier model ever been the winning design the past two seasons? 

Good question, not sure

36 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Do better, editors. The show is 90 minutes long for crying out loud. Let us see some of the other designers, not just the top and bottom three. 

Oh yes.  I would prefer loooooooong, slow, lingering looks on every design on the final runway.  They definitely have the time for it.

• Love 6

I couldn't understand how that red petal dress got so much praise. The dye didn't look good from what I could see, and the bulk was overwhelming. I'm glad the basket hoop dress won. It looked beautiful. 

The closeup inspection of the garments is interesting. It would be a good feature to put back in. 

I like that this season is giving longer challenges and spending time showing the designers working. I like to see cutting and sewing. That's what brought me to the original PR. I hate the fake drama and back biting, so I hope we don't get too much of that. I'd rather this show be The Great British Bake Off (with fabric) than Dance Moms or whatever. 

• Love 21
44 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I couldn't understand how that red petal dress got so much praise. The dye didn't look good from what I could see, and the bulk was overwhelming. I'm glad the basket hoop dress won. It looked beautiful. oms or whatever. 

Agreed!  All that bulk! I was shocked it was in the top because it added so much weight to his model. And I also agree Sergio's basket dress was beautiful. I just wish the dress part incorporated some other materials rather than being all wrapping paper (but I gotta admit it definitely was tailored to perfection).

• Love 4

I think Sergio had better luck with his wrapping paper because it was kind of a "flocked" paper. It had more body than the plain paper Brittany was using. Other than the basket/bells, though, it was seriously boring. My sister used to be addicted to Say Yes to the Dress, and his was reminiscent of all those boring strapless dresses you'd see there. His model worked it though.

Does Victoria do anything other than dreck from Hoochie Mamas R Us??? I was totally calling foul on the cushion fabric. What the what? Her glued on crap looked like glued on crap.

Poor Thijin. She really tried. Sweet woman.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
On 12/20/2019 at 6:19 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Nancy should have gone outside if she needed to hammer all that stuff. It would be one thing if she had one thing to hammer for 30 seconds, but she was hammering a lot of stuff so she should have taken everything she needed to hammer out onto the patio or the hallway and done it there. It's really rude to make everyone else listen to your incessant noise. Be considerate!

On one hand, I agree. On the other, I feel like if these people went to art school (and I am aware that not all of them did), that kind of shit is almost a given.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Shocked they loved that dress so much. I am an overweight gal (I refuse to use the word curvy, let’s just call it what it is) and I don’t need my already big boobs showing up at a cocktail party 15 minutes before the rest of me because there’s 5 inches of faux (not fox) flowers jutting out. I would take some scissors and snip back that extra heft around the boobs and hips. 

It was not so long ago that there were comments from the judges like "no woman wants extra bulk...." or "that extra fabric does not flatter her." I wonder if they are going all in on the whole not-mentioning-when-a-model-is-larger-than-size-4 and refusing to even mention when it is less than flattering, and even complementing it. Maybe it really is a trend that I'm just not in on. 

• Love 9
On 12/20/2019 at 12:31 PM, Marmiarmo said:

Additionally, I think that while Sergio boasts of his abilities, he hasn’t been shown to be an asshole to the other designers.  He offered advice to Brittany and told her if he had time, he would help her string cranberries.  He hugs the other designers; congratulating or comforting them.  

I noticed that in this episode in particular, too. The cockiness can be really off-putting, but from what we've seen, he's not rude or dismissive of the other contestants; he seems to get along quite well with them, so I guess can deal with the boasting. Plus I'll give him points for actively picking a difficult material like the wrapping paper and basket, unlike most of the other contestants who used more traditional materials.

Overall, I didn't love this episode. Too many of the contestants simply used ribbon or some other type of fabric for the majority of their garment. My favorite Unconventional Materials challenges are the ones where the contestants are more or less *forced* to use non-fabric materials. I've loved the candy episodes in the past, and also the flower versions of the UM challenge.

In those challenges, everyone's forced to use more or less the same materials, and there's less of an issue of one person using things like pillowcases and bedsheets vs. someone who's using less malleable materials like lampshades and mirrors.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, hookedontv said:

Shocked they loved that dress so much. I am an overweight gal (I refuse to use the word curvy, let’s just call it what it is) and I don’t need my already big boobs showing up at a cocktail party 15 minutes before the rest of me because there’s 5 inches of faux (not fox) flowers jutting out. I would take some scissors and snip back that extra heft around the boobs and hips. 

I didn't think the woven ribbons even looked good on her. I did not say that part cinching in her waist the way the judges kept saying it did. It looked bulky to me as well, although less bulky than the flowers, so perhaps it looked cinched in by comparison.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, hookedontv said:

Maybe I’m a bitch, but this is why I really like Christian. 

I think Christian won fan fav his year and looking at his digs last year, he's doing fine. I do like this version much better than Ferocia Cotoura

• Love 1

Sergio’s dress...was that JUST wrapping paper? Or was it a muslin base with wrapping paper covering it? Because I’m with whoever upthread said they can’t even wrap a present without ripping wrapping paper.

• Love 2

Sergio deserved the win.  It was elegant, gorgeous.

Victoria annoys the fuck out of me.  Last week's was ugly.  This week it was even uglier.  she basically took berry wreaths to make sleeves.  It looked tacky.  I feel like she's getting the beautiful designer benefit edit.   

• Love 8

I didn't get the top three at all. OK for Sergio's dress which looked really good for a dress made of wrapping paper, that was serious craftsmanship (I say that in a good way). But Shavi's dress was so unflatering to the model. The top was terrible, and the mid-section looked like a kindergarden's project. Ugh. And come on, Victoria's dress was pretty much all made of fabric! And just as Christian warned her, her model did look like she was wearing a wreath around her neck. I did like Dayoung's dress and her model looked so whimsical with the head piece.

The bottom three were the right ones (I may have put Shavi's dress in there, but not sure which other one to take out) but I wished Tyler had been auf'ed (is that still a thing?) rather than Alan. Not so much because Alan's dress was better (they were both just as bad) but because Alan is more fun to have around.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Sarnia said:

I wished Tyler had been auf'ed (is that still a thing?) rather than Alan. Not so much because Alan's dress was better (they were both just as bad) but because Alan is more fun to have around.

I actually think that Tyler's dress was worse than Alan's-- it was poorly made, too short, and looked vaguely like a cheerleader's outfit. They way he clipped the bottom looked like just a mistake. But unlike you, I like Tyler way better than Alan, so am happy to have him stay. He seems like a thoughtful adult, which I'm always happy to have around. Alan was just too extra for me.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, dleighg said:

I actually think that Tyler's dress was worse than Alan's-- it was poorly made, too short, and looked vaguely like a cheerleader's outfit. They way he clipped the bottom looked like just a mistake. But unlike you, I like Tyler way better than Alan, so am happy to have him stay. He seems like a thoughtful adult, which I'm always happy to have around. Alan was just too extra for me.

Agree completely. I've liked Tyler's insights. He is thoughtful, and I appreciate that more than a lot of...antics.

• Love 8
On 12/21/2019 at 11:08 PM, sasha206 said:

Victoria annoys the fuck out of me.  Last week's was ugly.  This week it was even uglier.  she basically took berry wreaths to make sleeves.  It looked tacky.  I feel like she's getting the beautiful designer benefit edit.   

Did anyone notice that when they flashed through pictures of her work they showed a black (faux leather?) strappy dress that looked almost exactly like the white dress that was at the top (last challenge? challenge before?) First of all I don't think it's cute and I don't really find it all that creative or original. Just messy. 

• Love 4
On 12/22/2019 at 1:21 AM, Sarnia said:

I didn't get the top three at all. OK for Sergio's dress which looked really good for a dress made of wrapping paper, that was serious craftsmanship (I say that in a good way). But Shavi's dress was so unflatering to the model. The top was terrible, and the mid-section looked like a kindergarden's project. Ugh. And come on, Victoria's dress was pretty much all made of fabric! And just as Christian warned her, her model did look like she was wearing a wreath around her neck. I did like Dayoung's dress and her model looked so whimsical with the head piece.

The bottom three were the right ones (I may have put Shavi's dress in there, but not sure which other one to take out) but I wished Tyler had been auf'ed (is that still a thing?) rather than Alan. Not so much because Alan's dress was better (they were both just as bad) but because Alan is more fun to have around.

I think Alans dress was better. At least it was finished. Executed and as skimpy as it was it was a complete look. I actually thought it was pretty cute to be honest. And I thought it was MUCH better that Tyler's dress. Even if he didn't have the issue he had with running out of material I wasn't at all impressed with his design. That dress was terrible all around. 

• Love 5
On 12/20/2019 at 9:39 PM, stormy weather said:

I think it's unfair that she could use real fabric for her dress when everyone else had to come up with creative ideas. Fabric is not an unconventional material! 

I believe Delvin & Nancy used tree fabric as well (from tree skirts).

I thought Marquise deserved to be in the top 3 over Shavi. Shavi's was unflattering. I thought the ribbon he used to weave to waist of the dress was too thick & bulky. And Victoria's was so busy too.

• Love 1

On 12/20/2019 at 11:03 PM, nb360 said:

On a different yet related note, it's so nice to see how the presence of "curvy girls" is not talked about and just accepted/not discussed by the contestants.

A million times YES! I've noticed this as well and appreciate the shift.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, BradandJanet said:

I couldn't understand how that red petal dress got so much praise. The dye didn't look good from what I could see, and the bulk was overwhelming. I'm glad the basket hoop dress won. It looked beautiful. 

I was shocked it got as much love as it did. It was pretty but I'd have much preferred Daeyoung's crystally snowflake princess icy dress. I loved that. So far, she's my favorite and I'm rooting for her as my dark horse.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:48 PM, hookedontv said:

Maybe I’m a bitch, but this is why I really like Christian. 

Nah, I'm not especially bitchy and I adore Christian. He just says what he thinks and he's got skills so I'm good with his remarks.

Not liking pompous attitude Sergio but the dress was exquisitely made compared to the other gift paper dress by Brittany.

• Love 4
On 12/21/2019 at 8:08 PM, sasha206 said:

Yes to all of this. I think Sergio was able to make the wrapping paper work because of how he used it, and all of the underneath construction. It was a beautiful elegant work of art. I am starting to thaw on him a bit. He is definitely cocky, but he is nice to the other designers.

Victoria is this season's Hester Sunshine. Completely tacky and convinced of their own genius, and for some reason the judges love it. No clue why. It's going to get old fast. Those cranberry shoulders looked exactly like they did when Christian hung the entire wreath on the model in the work room. It's not a dress, it's a weapon!

My favorites were Sergio, Dayoung, and Nancy. Ok, rant time. Why has Nancy not been in the top 3 yet? My guess is producer driven shenanigans because she is "old". My guess is she will languish in the safe zone mid-pack until she sends out something that lands her in the bottom and then she will be sent packing.

I thought Shavi's dress looked absolutely horrible. The model looked like a giant blob with all of those petals despite the "cinched waist". And I don't think it would have looked any better on a thinner model either - it would still look like a red shower loofah. The silhouette behind the screen looked nightmarish and I didn't think it looked much better when she came out. Yes, giant red blob.

I am sad Alan and his 'tude are gone. His clothes were kind of atrocious but he added some good commentary. I do think he was the right one though over Tyler because I don't think Tyler deserved to be in the bottom last week, and I do think he has better technical skills than Alan. Hopefully he can turn it around. Also, if you haven't seen Alan's post-elim conversation with Christian, you should find it on SM because it's pretty funny, especially the "special guest"......

• Love 5
On 12/20/2019 at 10:03 PM, nb360 said:

I feel differently about that.  I think they should mention it, because dressing someone larger than a size 0-4 is not just a case of making the same design bigger.  Anything that isn't a stick figure takes work because actual curves like breasts and hips - whether they are large or small - exist and need to be flattered not just covered. 

Tyler, is your dress so short because you thought it would hang on her body like it would on a size 0?  But it clung to her curves so it was too short?  And the chevrons totally didn't work because you didn't design for an actual waist and hips?  Maybe you should learn how to design for hourglass shapes that include a slim waist with larger hips and booty, not to mention breasts. 

Oh, wait, we DO want to mention breasts because women have them and they don't want to expose them all the time, especially when exposing their bare stomach and legs in a too short dress!  Right Alan???

Speaking of breasts, hips and waist, Shavi's red blob is an example of a dress that would look ok on a slim, non-curves model, but looks like a red blob because he did not take her actual shape into account when designing.  Bigger doesn't mean it's good as a plus size design, Shavi.  All that volume would be great for a slim girl who wants some curves - we've seen it all the time on this show...huge volumes in bust and exaggerated hips.  You can't just make that in a bigger size and call it design.  Here, her body needed a sleeker look.  Glue or sew those feathers so they lie flat instead of creating extra volume!

I think the designers should get called out when they make a crap design for a larger model because they don't know what they're doing.  They should all get called out when they don't know how to design for BREASTS and HIPS, becasue women are the market for their clothes.  Don't get me started on all the strapless, backless, split down to the waist dresses where a woman can't wear a bra. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, izabella said:

Tyler, is your dress so short because you thought it would hang on her body like it would on a size 0?  But it clung to her curves so it was too short?  And the chevrons totally didn't work because you didn't design for an actual waist and hips?  Maybe you should learn how to design for hourglass shapes that include a slim waist with larger hips and booty, not to mention breasts. 

Tyler’s dress was too short because he had to recut the chevrons which ended up making the pieces shorter. 

• Love 2