Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Correct on all points!  There are a couple of channels that might sort of come in with an antenna, but today it's really windy here in the back of beyond, so probably not.  

Well that sucks. I hope they at least give you a decent credit for the outage. I can’t imagine a cable company getting away with a multi day outage due to faulty equipment!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well that sucks. I hope they at least give you a decent credit for the outage. I can’t imagine a cable company getting away with a multi day outage due to faulty equipment!

It's actually Dish, and all of the things for Saturday are "free", but of course my monthly bill will increase a tad because reasons.  I'm really not sure why, since my programming will stay the same.  Oh well.  I'm almost more bummed that I lost some saved things that I hadn't quite finished with yet, and I'll have to try to remember what I had on timers to record regularly.  Jeopardy, of course, but there were some others that are more sporadic.

As for today's show, since I looked at the archive, I got a couple of TS and missed DD, including fog, nor'easter, aluminum, and Texas Rangers.

And, good for me, I got FJ, too.  Possibly because I'm headed there next December if all goes well, and have been looking at maps.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, rubaco said:

"Quadrophenia" is a masterpiece and the fact that it was a TS is unacceptable. 

What a lousy game after we've all been so spoiled by the GOAT matches.

Almost as bad as the "Rhoda" miss last week. 😕

• Love 1

If I had read the entire clue before blurting out my response, I would have gotten Quadrophenia.  I got as far as The Who, and said Tommy while I clicked on the clue, thus revealing my error.  Oooops!  At least I didn't say Bohemian Rhapsody!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Even without the GOAT matches comparisons, today was a truly lousy game. I almost had to stop watching because I was starting to get secondhand anxiety attacks just watching the girl on the right.

• Love 18
15 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I briefly thought we were going to see what happens when only one person isn't in the negative at the end of the Double Jeopardy round.

They compete in FJ solo and have to win more than $0 to be the champ.

And there's an article about Stephanie from this game in the media thread.

Edited by dcalley
better video link
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, SHD said:

Even without the GOAT matches comparisons, today was a truly lousy game. I almost had to stop watching because I was starting to get secondhand anxiety attacks just watching the girl on the right.

Ugh, that was awful. Certainly my worst nightmare if I were to ever be on Jeopardy.

I failed at FJ because I thought that the Caribbean island nations counted as part of "Central America". Apparently not.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, rubaco said:

"Quadrophenia" is a masterpiece and the fact that it was a TS is unacceptable. 

I can't watch the regular matches after that, these people seem so....not smart.  I think Alex seemed really frustrated with so many wrong answers today. 

• Love 3

Due to an extreme case of second hand embarrassment for Shanu and Priscilla, I could only half watch tonight's show. I still managed to get Balboa, nor'easter, mango, Johnson, and Texas Rangers.

No clue for FJ. Didn't help that I initially started thinking of South American countries, instead of Central American.

I wasn't paying much attention to the beginning of the game, but ended up with fog, nor'easter, aluminum, New Mexico and Texas Rangers. For FJ I said Belmopan. I'll have to look to see if maybe it's the second farthest east.

Probably not.

I felt so badly for Priscilla. Just know, if you are reading here, that you made it onto the show and I never will. So, you are a winner in my book. And on a shallow note, you have beautiful hair.

• Love 9

I had a similar reaction about Priscilla.  It was painful to watch and I felt awful for her but she should be proud she actually made it on the show.  I have signed up for the test and Detroit was even listed as an audition option but I will not be putting money on my chances of getting anywhere near the show.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I had a similar reaction about Priscilla.  It was painful to watch and I felt awful for her but she should be proud she actually made it on the show.  I have signed up for the test and Detroit was even listed as an audition option but I will not be putting money on my chances of getting anywhere near the show.

I've taken the test 3 times and I do stupid panic just in the comfort of my own living room.  I'm actually hoping NOT to ever pass the test at this point.  

• Love 2

Tonight's game was unusually sad.  I think almost any game would be sad after watching Ken and James. I couldn't believe two New Yorkers had no idea where Prospect Park is located.  It was all downhill for Priscilla from there.  Plus, Shanu didn't know the name of the storms that are called nor'easters (they hit the northeast usually in autumn & they're really tough storms) which was a DD. 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

For FJ I said Belmopan. I'll have to look to see if maybe it's the second farthest east.

That's the second capital I've googled in the last couple of minutes -- first Tegucigalpa, now Belmopan.

I got Satchel Paige, Balboa Park, fog, Nor'easters, mango, Johnson, and Texas Rangers, but I didn't get FJ. I said San Salvador. 

I felt so bad for Priscilla, though I did wonder if she was going to break Stephanie's record.

• Love 1

Oh, boy.  That was increasingly difficult to watch.  The Satchel Paige TS made me a bit sad, the Bill Gates TS surprised me a bit, and then came the fog TS (and the wrong answer of tornado), missed DD of Nor'easter, and aluminum TS, and I started to wonder if this was going to be a bad game.  Boy howdy.

Priscilla was having obvious buzzer difficulties, and one time she, despite her usual frenzied pushing, didn't even get called on when she - and she alone - was trying to buzz in again after Veronica gave an incorrect answer, so I'm not sure what was going on there.  Shortly after that, she got befuddled with that "city" answer for "Smith" when she finally was able to ring in after so many unsuccessful attempts.  Then came Arizona and New Mexico instead of California and Texas (I cannot believe Veronica got that one wrong, too), and between the wrong answer and the stammering delivery, she was clearly in a meltdown.  After that, she tried to ring in on far fewer clues, and didn't do very well when she succeeded.  That was the worst attack of nerves I've seen in some time, and I hope - like the contestant with the dubious distinction of having the worst score ever at the end of DJ ($-6700 or something like that) whose interview was posted in the Media thread today - there wind up being some real positives to this experience to balance that out for her, especially as time passes.  That's not how anyone wants their long-awaited J! appearance to go.

Shanu had better buzzer luck and composure, but he had some pretty bad answers (FJ and quite a few others, probably even more than Priscilla), and Veronica didn't perform quite as well as she had been, either.  Rough game. 

I can't believe that Van Gogh clue was in DJ.  The Picasso one belonged in the first round, too, but especially that one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I couldn't believe two New Yorkers had no idea where Prospect Park is located.

I was all pumped since Prospect Park is in my hometown of Moline, Illinois. Then they had to ruin it by putting New York in the clue.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

As for today's show, since I looked at the archive, I got a couple of TS and missed DD, including fog.

I wonder if they would have accepted "smog", which is what I said.

I missed tonight's show. My brother & SIL were helping me clean up after having new flooring put in and it took all 3 of us 4 hours to put together my new desk, made in Denmark, with only pictures for instructions.  Sounds like I might have had a better time than those of you who actually watched the show!

• LOL 6

I felt bad for that one contestant. She did seem to be having a panic attack, especially when of her answers didn't even make sense. It was nice that Alex wasn't rude to her.  It was apparently almost like that other game but the guy got out of the red at the last minute. Of course at that point it was already a run away. I actually got the FJ right.

• Love 1

I, too, felt really bad for Priscilla.  I almost thought that I had jinxed her by posting that link to the Stephanie Hull interview in the Media thread.  For a time it looked like Priscilla might break Stephanie's record of -$6,800.  I think Priscilla was down to -$6,600 at one point, although she did manage to climb a little bit higher.  She really did look like she was having a miserable time up there, whether it was nerves or being upset that she was doing so poorly, or a combination of both.  Imagine finally realizing your dream of being on Jeopardy!, and having it turn out like that.

Edited to add:  I really appreciate what Andy Saunders said at thejeopardyfan.com:  "There are situations where I'm sure Priscilla could have been a champion.  It just didn't work out for her today...If you disagree?  Contestant tests start January 28.  I await hearing your score."

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Love 11
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Apologies for my OTT hate for mac and cheese, especially Kraft. But it also sends me down Memory Lane, and those memories aren't so great. Hence, the hate. It's strictly personal.

Get that. I have a few paths down memory lane that do the same. 

14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It'd be worth a trip to Best Buy or Walmart to get a strong antenna just in case. Because ... nothing ventured. Wish I could loan you one of mine, I have five of them. If you even brought in one channel -- the one showing Jeopardy -- it would be a win! I'm 40-50 miles from a big city/broadcast tower; you must be closer to civilization than I am.

Of course, there is always online teevee watching.

When we cut the cord, we first determined whether we could get the Jeopardy channel by antenna - it was the only thing that important to both of us. After unearthing our old Tivo we were able to record it. That Tivo was from before our local cable offered DVRs. I didn't expect the "lifetime contract" to still work, but it did. Surprised cynical me. Anyway, during bad weather (like last night) we still get pixilation and occasionally the recording is worthless.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Brookside said:

I wonder if they would have accepted "smog", which is what I said.

My guess would be no. Smog is specific to pollutants being involved while fog is weather related. But I've seen the judges OK plenty of things that I didn't agree with, so what do I know? LOL

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

it took all 3 of us 4 hours to put together my new desk, made in Denmark, with only pictures for instructions. 

I could have helped with that. I'm a visual person. When going someplace new, instead of writing down directions, I will draw a map. If I see it in my head, I can see it IRL. Plus, being Swedish, Danish drawings would make even more sense!

4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I almost thought that I had jinxed her by posting that link to the Stephanie Hull interview in the Media thread. 

I totally thought the same thing, jinx. What bad timing on my part as well, to have read that link before watching that episode.

I saw Andy's comments before watching the show, and agree wholeheartedly with what he wrote. Anyone who can do it better, let us know which day your episode will air. My day is the Twelfth of Never. (Johnny Mathis shout out.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

That was so painfully uncomfortable to watch....  I felt so badly for her.  I noticed the cameras pulled off of her very quickly, but there were several times where they caught her looking off to the side in apparent great distress.   I'll give her one thing, she didn't completely shut down, she did keep trying....but unfortunately she was already so deep in her panic attack that the answers that came out of her mouth probably weren't the answers that popped in her head when she won the buzzer.

Which....because there seemed to be some camera cuts, did they stop play to give her a chance to calm down, then restart?  What happens when someone has a breakdown, or hell, a sneezing attack?

• Love 4

Poor Priscilla.  That had to be tough.  I feel for her.

On the plus side, some former champs (Alex Jacob and Buzzy Cohen), have tweeted or retweeted encouraging messages.

Alex said " In this house we respect all Jeopardy contestants, even if they finish in the red."

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I got a couple of TS and missed DD, including fog, nor'easter, aluminum, and Texas Rangers.

I got all of those.  I also got Quadrophenia, but I'll admit to saying Tommy first.  <hangs head in shame>

18 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the TSs of Satchell Paige, fog, Noreaster, aluminum, Johnson, West Point, New Mexico and Texas Rangers.

I didn't get Satchell Paige, although I should have.  I don't know that I've ever seen a picture of him before.  And West Point didn't dawn on me.  I got the rest, but I did waffle between NM & Arizona at first.

For FJ, I decided it was the capital of Belize (Belize City or Belmopan, I used to know this, damn it!), because I couldn't picture how much to the east South America is, and thus couldn't picture Panama being the farthest east of Central America.

So after one of the worst games in ages, and particularly bad after the glory of the GOAT games, I'm still stuck with Veronica.  Well, poop.

17 hours ago, lb60 said:

Due to an extreme case of second hand embarrassment for Shanu and Priscilla, I could only half watch tonight's show. I still managed to get Balboa, nor'easter, mango, Johnson, and Texas Rangers.

No clue for FJ. Didn't help that I initially started thinking of South American countries, instead of Central American.

I got mango, but instead of Balboa, I said DeSoto but with the "no, that other guy" added on.

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

For FJ I said Belmopan. I'll have to look to see if maybe it's the second farthest east.

Nope, it's only east of Guatemala City & San Salvador.  (Oh, and Alex?  Mexico is part of North American, not Central America.)

Regarding Priscilla, I had so much sympathy for her.  I nearly burst into tears when I came in third after FJ, so I can only imagine how much worse she must've felt.  Someday she'll be able to look back at it and say "Hey, I was good enough to get on Jeopardy, damn it", but that will take awhile.  It can't help to know that her game will be out there on the internet forever.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Nope, it's only east of Guatemala City & San Salvador.

Thanks, you saved me from looking it up. In my mind it was the most easterly, but i guess I was laying down when I pictured it.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I nearly burst into tears when I came in third after FJ, so I can only imagine how much worse she must've felt.

I would burst into tears at my first wrong answer. Or first right answer. Or just being on the show at all. Gah.

• Love 2
On 1/16/2020 at 1:16 PM, Good Queen Jane said:

Your dad was absolutely right. I used Skin So Soft to keep the mosquitoes away all summer long.

It has been tested repeatedly and it absolutely does not work. Wishful thinking on the part of those who believe the myth.

1 hour ago, Tabasco Cat said:

It has been tested repeatedly and it absolutely does not work. Wishful thinking on the part of those who believe the myth.

I beg to differ. I'm in the country, on a farm, with water and woods everywhere, and so many mosquitoes you cannot be outside for more than a minute. Bump some greenery and a zillion mosquitoes will swarm out -- and onto you. I mix Skin So Soft with some water in a spray bottle, spritz myself (arms, legs, face, neck) and then I can stay outside for hours, groom dogs outside, clean the yard, work with my horses, with nary a skeeter near me. It also works to keep gnats away, which can be horrible in the spring here, swarming your face so that you can barely keep your eyes open or breathe without sucking in a horde. I also spray the underside of my ball-cap visor, which helps keep gnats and skeeters away from the eyes.

So to that someone somewhere who "tested repeatedly and it absolutely does not work:" I invite that person/people to my house this coming spring and summer to sit on my deck and swat gnats and skeeters while I watch, bug free thanks to my Skin So Soft repellent. Call it a myth? I call it a fact.

SSS also smells great IMO. I like to use the spray after taking a bath/shower to combat dry skin. I don't use it for dry hands though. Jergens is my choice for that. (A favorite of another poster here.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Posting based on the archives again, since I still don't have TV.  The guy's supposed to be here sometime between 8 and 12 tomorrow morning.  Which means I have to be up, awake, dressed, and fed by 8 am.  On a Saturday!  Ahem.

I forced myself to read each clue in its entirety before I answered to avoid the Tommy/Quadrophenia blooper of yesterday, and still got quite a few of the TS.  The ones I got include troth, skoal, Bruce, barrelhead, whorl, Dutch door, and Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.

I also got FJ, but I had to think about it for a few seconds. 

• Love 1

I wouldn't have gotten it right anyway, but I had a boneheaded moment during FJ.  I knew that Alexandra was descended from Victoria (her great-granddaughter), but I did not know that Philip was her nephew.  But, I was thinking stupidly anyway, so it didn't matter

I got the entire categories of burnt food and clean and unclean food right.  And I got the TSs of troth, whorl, Bruce, barrel* and South Africa.

*Her response of layaway really flummoxed me.  I missed a couple of gimmes in the game because I just couldn't think, but layaway doesn't make any sense for immediate payment and she said it so quickly and confidently.

• Love 1

Woohoo! Got my first FJ of the week. I thought Veronica's answer of Prince Albert was odd. Did she think they exhumed his body to get a sample?

Alex's pronunciation of troth sent me to dictionary. com When we got married the minister pronounced it troth, not trawth. Both pronunciations are listed.

I got the TSs of troth, skoll, Extras (I have the complete DVD set!), barrel, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Yeay Maggie the Cat!

I learned a plum pudding is the same as a figgy pudding. Both get set on fire.

Dennis is a bartender. "Remind you of anyone?" -TM Craig Ferguson

Players should have had to identify the lingonberries with those Swedish pancakes.

East Lansing was a correct answer. Shout out to @Grundoon59!

I had Prince Phillip for FJ, then switched and went with "the other one."

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I enjoyed tonight's game.  Broadway characters would be one of my dream categories (unless it turned into a nightmare).  There were a couple of Michigan related clues that got answered correctly.  And finally I was sort of rooting for Dennis because I learned to swim in the ocean as a kid in Old Orchard Beach (and for years believed salt water was always cold).  My dad's mom and sister lived there for years and both his sisters moved back there at the end of their lives - a nice place to visit and eat lobster.

• Love 3

I've never heard of troth before - only betrothed - so I was just as stumped as the contestants on that one.  I didn't know the sitcom (the name of which I've already forgotten), either, but I got the rest of the TS.  I know next to nothing about the British royal family, but I figured it was a man, so picked Philip just because; I had no actual knowledge of him being related to Russian royalty.

I liked Alex's demonstration of a Dutch door, and join him in being a bit surprised that was a TS.  South Africa also surprised me.

The atheism clue belonged in the first round - of the Toddler Tournament - not DJ.  The Broadway category would have been better suited to the first round, too.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I liked Alex's demonstration of a Dutch door, and join him in being a bit surprised that was a TS. 

I totally know what a Dutch door is, but that didn’t occur to me as the answer. I’m going to have to go back and see how the clue was worded. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I got the TSs of troth, skoll, Extras (I have the complete DVD set!), barrel, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Yeay Maggie the Cat!

I learned a plum pudding is the same as a figgy pudding. Both get set on fire.

Extras is brilliant, though not for the faint of heart!  The episode with Patrick Stewart is magic.  (Apparently it took loads of takes because Ricky Gervais couldn't keep a straight face.)

I'm pretty sure the new champ is going to irritate me with the "ughs"/hesitations.

I wouldn't have accepted plum pudding because the clue made a direct reference to the Christmas ditty about figgy pudding  Since no-one liked my smog answer yesterday, I'm taking this one!

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I wouldn't have accepted plum pudding because the clue made a direct reference to the Christmas ditty about figgy pudding  Since no-one liked my smog answer yesterday, I'm taking this one!

I was with you on the plum-pudding thing, which is why I had to look it up, and discovered a figgy can also be called a plum. So, technically correct although it did not fit the ditty. For the record, it was another poor clue/answer.

I agree that the Extras episode with Patrick Stewart was the best. Although I think every episode is the best in that series. Some are rather, let's say, not quite PC, which makes them all the more hilarious. And yes, not for the easily shocked. Heh.

Dutch door. I wasn't paying that much attention and will have to look up the wording on the clue, the same as @SoMuchTV. But I'm sitting here right now looking at a Dutch door. That I made. It's not like I don't know what one is.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I agree that the Extras episode with Patrick Stewart was the best. Although I think every episode is the best in that series. Some are rather, let's say, not quite PC, which makes them all the more hilarious. And yes, not for the easily shocked. Heh.

The Daniel Radcliffe and David Bowie episodes always top my list. And the finale Xmas special might be the best series ending program ever. I was so sad when no one knew the answer to that question.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I could have helped with that. I'm a visual person. When going someplace new, instead of writing down directions, I will draw a map. If I see it in my head, I can see it IRL. Plus, being Swedish, Danish drawings would make even more sense!

I'm the exact opposite - once I see it live, I can see it on a map. Google Maps Street View was made for people like me!

11 hours ago, Brookside said:

Extras is brilliant, though not for the faint of heart!  The episode with Patrick Stewart is magic.  (Apparently it took loads of takes because Ricky Gervais couldn't keep a straight face.)

Patrick Stewart is magic, then combine him with Gervais. It was excellent.  I loved the Kate Winslet episode, myself.

I got Phillip because of The Crown - though not because I absorbed anything from the show or the forum. I got it becaue the show  let us know that his family had a messed up history and  came from (waving vaguely right when looking at a map of Europe) a number of places not in England.

• Love 2