Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 1/3/2020 at 7:37 PM, ClareWalks said:

I may be the only one but I don't like Karen. She seems to be benefiting from mediocre opponents because she makes lots of small errors in spelling/pronunciation. She pronounced it "Puerto Rica" today, for example. It's just annoying.

I don't dislike Karen, but I am ready for her to go. I agree it feels like she's coasting because she hasn't had to face anyone really challenging.  She makes mistakes like Puerta Rica in each game, and she's had her share of boneheaded guesses that never work against her because her opponents can't capitalize.  I know winning Jeopardy has a lot to do with luck in general, but for me, she's had enough and yeah she can go now.

But in other unpopular opinions, I came here to say that not accepting Gregorian was the wrong thing. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not sure she was Before My Time, but she was definitely Not On My Shows. I don't think I watched anything in her credits - except for Beverly Hillbillies, and I was a wee one at that time.

Ditto!

I say pop - don't touch the stuff - since soda means 'fizzy water' to me; e.g., scotch and soda, although I prefer mine over shaved ice, thank you very much. Haven't had one of those in several years.

Learned the Michigan hand from my eldest daughter who did her PhD in Ann Arbor - quite a feat as she was still nursing her first baby and commuting to/from Toronto, not always mutually exclusive actions... just a plug for women in academia.

Anyone else excited about this week's GOAT tournament? Will there be a separate thread for that? I'm a Primetimer newbee when it comes to knowing how this site works.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I came here to say that not accepting Gregorian was the wrong thing

The clue: "The calendar I just got doesn't say it's using the "new style" created by the 13th pope of this name, but it's a good guess" (my bolding)

So they were obviously looking for the name of the pope, so "Gregorian" is wrong. The pope is Gregory (XIII).

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, illdoc said:

The clue: "The calendar I just got doesn't say it's using the "new style" created by the 13th pope of this name, but it's a good guess" (my bolding)

So they were obviously looking for the name of the pope, so "Gregorian" is wrong. The pope is Gregory (XIII).

Yeah, Gregory is the right answer, and Gregorian is wrong, so I'm glad she didn't get credit.  It's annoying that they're not terribly consistent, and it really bugs me the times they accept things like that - paying proper attention to the clue's wording is part of the game.

• Love 5

Oh Grundoon, I was dismayed by the TS Michigan category as well! Too bad it didn't come up when Jennifer from Dowagiac (somewhere on the bottom of the hand, near the wrist and under the little finger!) was on. 

EVERYONE I know in this state (lower peninsula people, anyway) uses the hand to indicate location. 

Edited by bad things are bad
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I had to refresh my memory about Gayle Hunnicutt. She guested in several TV series in the 70's as well as appearing in a few miniseries, plus movies. A couple of miniseries I remember watching were The Golden Bowl (1972) and Fall of Eagles (1974) where she played Tsarina Alexandra. And a show she guested on that I haven't thought about since it aired originally was Switch, which starred Robert Wagner, Eddie Albert, Charlie Callas, and Sharon Gless.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Oh Grundoon, I was dismayed by the TS Michigan category as well! Too bad it didn't come up when Jennifer from Dowagiac (somewhere on the bottom of the hand, near the wrist and under the little finger!) was on. 

EVERYONE I know in this state (lower peninsula people, anyway) uses the hand to indicate location. 

I don't think I got a single answer right in that category.  I don't know much about Michigan, apparently.

I'm getting really annoyed at how many clues are being left on the board.  Hurry it up, people!

• Love 5
On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 2:17 AM, biakbiak said:

I just don’t understand how you get to a place in life where you find telling people that you have had a soda once in your life is an important fact about yourself! 

And it was a cream soda at that - no wonder she's never wanted another one.

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 9:32 AM, Clanstarling said:

eventually got Birmingham but only after first guessing Manchester,

Yeah, me too.  But at least I was damn sure it wasn't Liverpool.

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 1:03 AM, SHD said:

I nearly cried when no one got the Roxy Music question.

I shouted "What the hell is wrong with you people?!?" at the tv when no one answered.  Because, what the hell was wrong with those people?!?

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 9:36 AM, Katy M said:

I have the most boring life ever and I honestly do NOT know how I would fill  a card with 5 "interesting" facts for Alex to ask me about.   The more interesting stuff is stuff I'm embarrassed about.

I managed to come up with 5 (at least one of them quite embarrassing) and yet Alex went with the singing to my cats thing.  Which was at least the 3rd least interesting choice.  To be fair, I only remember 2 of the others since it's been 11 years.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I had to refresh my memory about Gayle Hunnicutt. She guested in several TV series in the 70's as well as appearing in a few miniseries, plus movies. A couple of miniseries I remember watching were The Golden Bowl (1972) and Fall of Eagles (1974) where she played Tsarina Alexandra. And a show she guested on that I haven't thought about since it aired originally was Switch, which starred Robert Wagner, Eddie Albert, Charlie Callas, and Sharon Gless.

All Before My Time! since I have no memory of any of the above. The longer I'm in this thread, the younger I keep getting.

• LOL 8
37 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

All Before My Time! since I have no memory of any of the above. The longer I'm in this thread, the younger I keep getting.

Agreed!

I either feel younger or in some cases, borderline parental. It's obvious - sometimes - that a poster is similar in age to one of my kids. Or, given the nature of their opinion, they're somehow related to me! 6 degrees of separation and all that.

• LOL 2

Aargh.  I read Catch-22 about a year and a half ago. And did I get FJ?  No, I did not.  I said Deliverance even though that made no sense because I had nothing.

I did get St Petersburg and Moscow (I have no idea why she just didn't say Moscow as she was out of time, but whatever, she's obviously smarter than I am in general), ostrich, mining, Champlain and Thailand.  I was very impressed with myself that I got Ice Cube.  It was a guess based on cold, but still. The only other one I got in that category was LL Cool J.  I didn't even get Eminem.  Hip hop and Rap are so not my things.  

• Love 3

One of these days, I might actually have to read Catch-22.  It might help me with Jeopardy!'s FJs.  I may or may not have thought it was written before the 60s, too -- not much, mind you, but before.  

I was astonished that none of them could come up with Champlain or Thailand.  Less surprised that they missed hen, ostrich, and Shaw.

I have events tomorrow and Wednesday night -- I don't know how I'm going to stay unspoiled for the prime time tournament!  I guess I'll have to stay up past my bedtime...

• Love 1

Got the DD (St Petersburg & Moscow, and yeah...why didn't she throw  Moscow out there just for fun?) and TS (Champlain) but otherwise, I wasn't so hot tonight. I guess they wouldn't have accepted Fat Boy instead of Fat Joe 😑 I never would've guessed FJ in a million years (but then, I've never read it).

• Love 2

I got Moscow, mining, Samuel de Champlain (I think AT forgot the "de") and hen. FJ was one of my favorite books, if not my very favorite. I've never forgotten Yossarian in a tree, and Major Major Major Major, plus I've lived through many Catch 22s in my life.

• Love 3

I’ve not read the novel; it came to me but then I was thinking it may have been ‘50s instead of ‘60s. I have seen the movie or parts of it several times.  That and Dr. Strangelove.

@Bliss look for “go to topic listing” at the bottom of this page to see the Jeopardy! related topics, and you should find the one for GOAT Jeopardy!

• Love 1

I knew Catch 22.  Read the beginning 2 or 3 times never all of it.  Do need to finish it sometime

How can you just put NOTHING own though.  Just guess, put down something, name a book

I've see the movie Straight Outa Compton and still get Ice cube and Ice T mixed up. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Got the DD (St Petersburg & Moscow, and yeah...why didn't she throw  Moscow out there just for fun?) and TS (Champlain) but otherwise, I wasn't so hot tonight. I guess they wouldn't have accepted Fat Boy instead of Fat Joe 😑 I never would've guessed FJ in a million years (but then, I've never read it).

I said Fat Boi (I think that’s how he spells it) too. Not a great night for me either. Got a few, but it was better than last night. I’m blaming that on after dinner cognac. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

FJ was one of my favorite books, if not my very favorite. I've never forgotten Yossarian in a tree, and Major Major Major Major, plus I've lived through many Catch 22s in my life.

Mine too, and I missed it. I fixated on Ayn Rand's books because of the references to self-preservation and rationality, though neither of her major novels fit the clue.

• Love 3

I got Champlain and Erasmus. Was I the only one who thought the category after Shut Up would be and Dance as a nod to the song title? Alexander Graham Bell should not have been a 2000 dollar clue.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I said Fat Boi (I think that’s how he spells it) too. Not a great night for me either. Got a few, but it was better than last night. I’m blaming that on after dinner cognac. 

Great minds think alike, right?  Love that we both thought Fat Boi/Boy!

• Love 2

Like others here, I don't know why Karen didn't offer up Moscow. Too obvious, I suppose. But still, better than nothing.

I got George Bernard Shaw, Champlain, and a hen.

I took a wild guess for FJ with A Clockwork Orange.

1 hour ago, kathyk2 said:

I got Champlain and Erasmus. 

Erasmus makes me think of Car Talk, with one of their "staff" being 'Erasmus Bedragin.'

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Got the DD (St Petersburg & Moscow, and yeah...why didn't she throw  Moscow out there just for fun?) 

That was so strange!

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got Moscow, mining, Samuel de Champlain (I think AT forgot the "de") and hen. FJ was one of my favorite books, if not my very favorite. I've never forgotten Yossarian in a tree, and Major Major Major Major, plus I've lived through many Catch 22s in my life.

I laughed so much reading that book. Loved it. 

I thought Catch-22 was so obvious that everyone would get it. Boy was I wrong! Now that I'm reading posters guesses, I can see how they'd be reasonable possible answers.

• Love 3

I was surprised that George Bernard Shaw was a TS, although I think a lot of people forget he's an Irish writer.  Thanks to many lovely summer visits to the Shaw Festival in Niagara on the Lake, that was an instaget for me.  I also got Champlain and Erasmus.  

I know I am late to the pop vs. soda conversation but I grew up on pop (in my Michigan Mitten) and learned about soda at school in Virginia.  By the way, I know it's not good for me but I still drink Tab (child of the 70s).

Edited by Grundoon59
  • Love 4

Like others here, I don't know why Karen didn't offer up Moscow. Too obvious, I suppose. But still, better than nothing.

I got George Bernard Shaw, Champlain, and a hen.

I took a wild guess for FJ with A Clockwork Orange.

I was having trouble thinking of another Russian city besides Moscow and St. Petersburg and 400 miles seemed about right between the two as it looks about the same distance between Boston and Washington, DC, but maps (especially Mercator projections) do distort distances. 

I also got Shaw, Champlain, and a hen. I also thought of A Clockwork Orange and Atlas Shrugged popped into my head too. Catch-22 never crossed my mind. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

By the way, I know it's not good for me but I still drink Tab (child of the 70s).

I didn't even know they still made that.  Or did you stockpilie it?

9 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Was I the only one who thought the category after Shut Up would be and Dance

I thought it was going to be  and sit down.

The current champ's dullness is destroying my will to live.  

Okay, that's being dramatic because she seems very nice, but she's boring the stuffing out of me.  I don't need a contestant to be all jazz-handsy like annoying Austin, but I like to see at least a wee bit of pep.

Also, sad to say I was clueless on FJ.  I just couldn't make the question make sense in my brain.

• Love 3

I am so sick of Karen. Gotta stop watching until she's gone. It's painful seeing a mediocre contestant rack up wins against truly lousy contestants. At least with Matt Jackson, Austin Rogers, and Jeopardy James, nobody could deny their talent for the game and they truly earned their wins.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I've see the movie Straight Outa Compton and still get Ice cube and Ice T mixed up. 

Since I picked the right one for the first clue, I was able to get the second one. But yeah, I have to concentrate really hard to remember which is which.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I think he did say it - because I being fairly ignorant when it comes to Champlain was surprised by the full name, and I don't think Samuel would have surprised me.

8 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I know I am late to the pop vs. soda conversation but I grew up on pop (in my Michigan Mitten) and learned about soda at school in Virginia.  By the way, I know it's not good for me but I still drink Tab (child of the 70s).

Did you drink it while eating a candy bar? That was our combo of choice in school. Made sense to us - we limited our sugar. LOL

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I think he did say it - because I being fairly ignorant when it comes to Champlain was surprised by the full name, and I don't think Samuel would have surprised me.

Why would the de surprise you?  Samuel doesn't sound very French.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Did you drink it while eating a candy bar? That was our combo of choice in school. Made sense to us - we limited our sugar. LOL

Maybe a Tab with an Ayds candy? Remember those?

9 hours ago, DrScottie said:
I also got Shaw, Champlain, and a hen. I also thought of A Clockwork Orange and Atlas Shrugged popped into my head too. Catch-22 never crossed my mind. 

Twinsies! 🙌

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

My guess for FJ was Fear of Flying.  

Another really good book!

Oh, yes. They sort of disappeared when HIV happened. But I remember them being so tasty, I would eat them in multiples which totally ruined what they were suppose to do.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I read Catch-22 about a year and a half ago. And did I get FJ?  No, I did not. 

I got it only because I accidentally read the clue/answer on a different board earlier in the day.

I did get St Petersburg and Moscow (I have no idea why she just didn't say Moscow as she was out of time,

Me, too.  I mean, the book is set in Russia.  Even if you're not sure, why not guess the two biggest cities in Russia?  It was a DD so no one else could answer, and not guessing wasn't going to help her.

ostrich, mining, Champlain and Thailand. 

For some idiotic reason I said "agriculture" even though I know the Atacama region is more desert and mountains than anything remotely farm-like.  D'oh!  I did get the others, though.

16 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Alexander Graham Bell should not have been a 2000 dollar clue.

I missed it, although in my defense, I have something of a mental block about him ever since he was part of the FJ I got wrong in my game.

14 hours ago, Fex said:

I thought Catch-22 was so obvious that everyone would get it. Boy was I wrong! Now that I'm reading posters guesses, I can see how they'd be reasonable possible answers.

If I hadn't been spoiled, I'd never have gotten Catch-22.  Nothing about that clue would've helped me.  I probably would've ended up writing "Hi Mom!" as my answer.

13 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I was surprised that George Bernard Shaw was a TS, although I think a lot of people forget he's an Irish writer.

I said William Butler Yeats.  The clue didn't scream Shaw to me, so I guessed.

I don't object to Karen's personality, or lack thereof, but I do object strenuously to not clearing the board.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My mom used to use Tab when she made ice cream sodas. The rest of us got fully-sugared soda, but she stuck with her Tab.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My mom used to use Tab when she made ice cream sodas.

Tab reminds me of Back To The Future, when Marty McFly asks the soda jerk to give him a Tab, and the guy replies, "But you haven't ordered anything yet."

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Why would the de surprise you?  Samuel doesn't sound very French.

Because I didn't know there was a "de" in his name. Samuel's a good ol' biblical name, so I don't think I would be surprised if it came up in a Western European name.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

For some idiotic reason I said "agriculture" even though I know the Atacama region is more desert and mountains than anything remotely farm-like.  D'oh!  I did get the others, though.

I got mining. I'm not sure why. I'm crap at geography.

Edited by Clanstarling
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Oh, god.  Ayds "candy." ick.  I remember their taste, and what they looked like. My mom used them when she was dieting, since they were appetite suppressants. If I used them, I have suppressed my memory of doing so. LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Jeopardy was on a half hour early tonight and I didn't realize so I missed it.  I did see the FJ question and didn't know it, for whatever that's worth.  at least I have the special to look forward to.

The less said about last night's game the better.

Tonight I got NAACP and FJ.

I say soda, because that's the correct answer. lol

My first job as a teen was working at a hot dog/hamburger stand on the beach, where people would order a triple cheeseburger, fries, and a Tab. Always cracked me up.

Anyone care to debate subs vs heroes vs grinders vs hoagies (correct answer)?*

*I don't really want to start a debate on this subject. lol

• Love 5

I started watching the special but can't stand James. Didn't do well tonight...but not badly either  I got the TS (Henry W Longfellow) and the DD that the new champ missed--NAACP. I'm sorry Karen lost, but thankfully the new champ is nice.

12 minutes ago, lb60 said:

The less said about last night's game the better.

Tonight I got NAACP and FJ.

I say soda, because that's the correct answer. lol

My first job as a teen was working at a hot dog/hamburger stand on the beach, where people would order a triple cheeseburger, fries, and a Tab. Always cracked me up.

Anyone care to debate subs vs heroes vs grinders vs hoagies (correct answer)?*

*I don't really want to start a debate on this subject. lol

Funny! Where I grew up they're subs.

• Love 2

We got FJ preempted by an NBC update on the missile attacks but it wasn't looking good for Karen.  

Loving everyone's Tab memories and for whoever asked, no I haven't been storing cartons since the 70s.  In Michigan at least Kroger, Meijer and some specialty markets stock it pretty regularly.

• Love 1