Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

But this is my current pet peeve, I hear it everywhere, on the radio, tv, even on newscasts from people who are supposes to be professionals: "Where are you at," "Where did you get that from," and so on. Makes me want to stab my ears out. Ha ha.

This reminds me of a rant mid-70s Steve Martin went on when he was the opening act for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. He absolutely hated that Diana Ross "Theme From Mahogany" ... "do you know where you're going to?"  I think I may have fallen a little bit in love with him at that point.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Eh, I think it's time to lose the preposition rule. Language evolves (or devolves, depending on your perspective).

I disagree. There are rules for grammar, which do not seem to be taught in schools or at home any more. Besides being irked by people saying "Where are you at," I also don't like people who say "Her and I's relationship" (TM The Bachelor) or "Me and him went to the mall." (TM Everyone) All contribute to the further dumbing down of America.

YMMV.

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I disagree. There are rules for grammar, which do not seem to be taught in schools or at home any more. Besides being irked by people saying "Where are you at," I also don't like people who say "Her and I's relationship" (TM The Bachelor) or "Me and him went to the mall." (TM Everyone) All contribute to the further dumbing down of America.

YMMV.

Hmmm... topic close to my heart.

I agree with both of you!

My Dad taught me grammar at a young age - the proper stuff! And yet, I now start sentences with "and" AND I do all sorts of other naughty things 😉

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Bliss said:

AND I do all sorts of other naughty things

It's because of posters here that I am now aware of every Jeopardy contestant beginning his/her interview with "So ..."

So ... thanks a lot you guys.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

YMMV.

Rules do change over time...but I was only half (maybe a quarter) serious. However, I'm right on board with hating the "her and I, and me and him" constructions. They do make me cringe.

1 hour ago, Bliss said:

Hmmm... topic close to my heart.

I agree with both of you!

My Dad taught me grammar at a young age - the proper stuff! And yet, I now start sentences with "and" AND I do all sorts of other naughty things 😉

So ( 😉 ), I'm a big believer in the value of both colloquial language and formal language. Each has its place. Some grammar errors bug me even in colloquial speech (see above), others do not. However, when it comes to writing professionals (being one myself), I have little patience. (except for fiction - where language can be formal, informal, and artistically weird)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8

Even in fiction, I'm going to hate the "her and I" or "me and him" construction.

<ahem>  

FJ was not an instaget for me tonight.  It took me a second to figure out what the question meant, but I did come up with Impressionist in time to write it down.  Good for me.

And, like last night, I only wrote down three TS -- a free lunch, dribble glass, and tennis.  There may have been more, but it is possible that I didn't give the game my undivided attention.  My New Year's resolution is to pay attention to Jeopardy!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was not an instaget for me tonight.  It took me a second to figure out what the question meant, but I did come up with Impressionist in time to write it down.  Good for me.

It was an instaget for me because of the year and museum, but then then I wondered, what do they mean by "type"?  Surely Alex wouldn't pass up the  opportunity to say "genre"?  And anyway, type is a weird categorization.

I'm thinking of retiring from J! because I cleared the entire Sports category.  I can rarely answer even one clue, two would be a miracle, so five beggars belief!

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2

Me watching the show: "Matt! Stand! Up! Straight!"

Me after FJ: "Haha! You lost."

I got dribble glass, tennis, and FJ on a lucky guess.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I also don't like people who say "Her and I's relationship" (TM The Bachelor).....

Cringeworthy.

I hate grammar. lol

• Love 7

Another archive night, as I was watching football.

The free lunch and ten TS surprised me.  So did dribble glass, tennis, and garbage in, garbage out to a lesser extent.

The wrong answers in the category where you had to figure out the element just from its consonants amused me, especially "oxygen" for RGN.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The wrong answers in the category where you had to figure out the element just from its consonants amused me, especially "oxygen" for RGN.

Haha!  My gut reaction was also oxygen.  I realized quickly I was wrong, but, if I'd been playing I'm sure I would have buzzed in straight away.  I assume that's what happened with the champ.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Me watching the show: "Matt! Stand! Up! Straight!"

Me after FJ: "Haha! You lost."

I hate grammar. lol

... re Matt... Me also 😉

Do you hate grammar to the same extent as you hate J!James? LOL

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

It was an instaget for me because of the year and museum, but then then I wondered, what do they mean by "type"?  Surely Alex wouldn't pass up the  opportunity to say "genre"?  And anyway, type is a weird categorization.

I got it but the “type” made me think on it more than I would have because it made me briefly think about things like frescos.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wonder how much it would change our enjoyment of the show if the contestants *could* actually hear us yelling at them.  What prompted this thought is all the yelling of "POTEMKIN!!!" I was doing.

We missed it, then slapped our heads - when in doubt, go with the only Russian ship you know.

I would have gotten FJ - I thought first of impressionist, then decided cubist, but when I realized cubist was really the wrong time period (I think), it was too late. Darn my second guessing mind!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wonder how much it would change our enjoyment of the show if the contestants *could* actually hear us yelling at them. 

I don't think some players would like what some viewers are yelling at them, so there's that to consider.

16 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Grammar pet peeve: it’s/its (damnit, autocorrect just tried to change the second one!!!).

Plus every plural word must be a possessive. Its mistake's like that what drive me nut's!

I got free lunch (don't I wish), dribble glass (those are so hilarious), tennis and TEN. And Jamison got two GFYs, making him a very special player.

I waffled on FJ. Impressionist was too early for the date, cubism too late. So I waffled back to impressionism. Depressing I had five years of art history and stumbled into the answer while I'm suspecting others here have had not a single AH class and got it easily. Book larnin' isn't all that sometimes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I got it but the “type” made me think on it more than I would have because it made me briefly think about things like frescos.

"Type" momentarily tripped me up, too, making me wonder if I should be thinking about techniques/mediums rather than movements/styles.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Bliss said:

Do you hate grammar to the same extent as you hate J!James? LOL

Grammar=hate.

James=I can't stand.

I'm sure I did say I hated him at some point, but I tend to not like using that word when referring to actual human beings. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

"Type" momentarily tripped me up, too, making me wonder if I should be thinking about techniques/mediums rather than movements/styles.

It confused me a bit too, so I put down Impressionistic. And I say that would have been accepted. So there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I started watching a BBC doc series on The Impressionists this morning. I don’t know why it popped up on my Amazon recommended list, but I am enjoying it so far. The host also did a miniseries on Dark Ages art I saw on YT and loved.

I watched some of the Nat Geo miniseries on Picasso, so I knew that FJ wasn’t Cubism.

43 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I don’t know why it popped up on my Amazon recommended list,

Simple. It's reading your thoughts, of course. Like "they" say, be careful what you wish for. Or think about! I wish I could think me up some Kevin Costner on a horse.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Simple. It's reading your thoughts, of course. Like "they" say, be careful what you wish for. Or think about! I wish I could think me up some Kevin Costner on a horse.

1306241234_kevinCostner.thumb.jpg.a4b8c45edcfa98580db43cedc2fae94d.jpg

You're welcome.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Oh.My.Gosh. You made my day year. Appreciated and downloaded. I haven't seen anything that perfect since ... well, maybe never.

XOXOXO, even if that's not appropriate.

Ah, we're friends. So it's appropriate. 🙂 Glad you liked it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:54 PM, zoey1996 said:

Is that because you dislike Toby Keith?

I loathe Toby Keith, which is why I liked Bastet's comment.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:12 PM, Browncoat said:

And, like last night, I only wrote down three TS -- a free lunch, dribble glass, and tennis.

I got all of those, maybe some others but I don't remember now.  (Oh, I got garbage in, garbage out because I had a computer instructor at college who loved to say that.)  I did get FJ, although I started to second guess myself and almost changed it to Cubism.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:39 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I wonder how much it would change our enjoyment of the show if the contestants *could* actually hear us yelling at them.  What prompted this thought is all the yelling of "POTEMKIN!!!" I was doing.

I was yelling it, too.  I had to sit through the interminable Eisenstein film for a History of Film course once; the much-imitated Odessa Steps sequence is rightfully famous, but the rest was so boring it put me to sleep more than once.  Quite an accomplishment for a movie about a failed revolution.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, saber5055 said:

I don't think some players would like what some viewers are yelling at them, so there's that to consider.

Yeah, I think Ryan and Austin really wouldn't have liked the names I was calling them.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:42 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Caspian Sea

I continued my tradition of getting the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea mixed up.  It's the price I pay for finally getting Sinclair Lewis and Upton Sinclair straight.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, saber5055 said:

I waffled on FJ. Impressionist was too early for the date, cubism too late. So I waffled back to impressionism.

The date is why I almost changed to Cubism.  I'd forgotten how long it had taken for French art critic and museums to accept impressionism.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'd forgotten how long it had taken for French art critic and museums to accept impressionism.

This is when it would be awesome to have the Timeless Flying Eyeball to trip back to France and buy all the Renoir, Monet and Cézanne paintings for some 10 bucks total and bring them back to modern times and sell for trillions.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

This is when it would be awesome to have the Timeless Flying Eyeball to trip back to France and buy all the Renoir, Monet and Cézanne paintings for some 10 bucks total and bring them back to modern times and sell for trillions.

Just think what we could've made off all those unsold Van Goghs.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Just think what we could've made off all those unsold Van Goghs.

Sold them? I would have kept one or two for my walls as I love French Impressionism. Well, maybe sold one so the grandkids all had college funds to become whatever they want debt free. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I continued my tradition of getting the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea mixed up.  It's the price I pay for finally getting Sinclair Lewis and Upton Sinclair straight.

As long as the clue is about The Jungle, I get the right one. Though when I see it written down like this...I waffle. But I always get Caspian and Black Sea mixed up.

The wind is blowing here like a banshee so no Jeopardy for me today, seven stations have been blown off my tv reception, including the one that carries Jeopardy. I did get FJ online earlier, so will be back to brag comment on getting one correct for a change.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well, maybe sold one so the grandkids all had college funds to become whatever they want debt free. 

They could all get doctorates and then never use them, they would be set for life (if they didn't go crazy spending  the leftover cash.) Or put all Gram's "old paintings" in a yard sale after you pass on, knock wood and heaven forbid.

• LOL 2
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

They could all get doctorates and then never use them, they would be set for life (if they didn't go crazy spending  the leftover cash.) Or put all Gram's "old paintings" in a yard sale after you pass on, knock wood and heaven forbid.

Taking my response to Small Talk   

1 minute ago, M. Darcy said:

Cuba/ Paris - of course it’s Hemingway. How did 2 of them miss it? 

I got FJ, but to answer your question I think the western states threw them off.

The TSs I got were Nobel Peace Prize and the King James Bible.  Both seemed really easy to me to be TS, but OK.  I got the entire categories of edible pop culture and famous women.

I had another good night.  Maybe I'm defying nature and getting smarter in my old age:)

• Love 2

The western states were distracting for FJ, but Cuba/Paris pointed me towards Hemingway.  I was sure I was wrong -- I have no idea what the connection is with Hemingway and Montana, etc., but wild-ass guess or not, I'll take it!

Too many TS this game!  I got The Saint, Hampstead Heath, Powhatan (shame on the woman from Virginia for missing that one!), proscenium, Polio myelitis, hobgoblin, retro rockets, and King James Bible.

I love the word "hobgoblin".

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I didn’t find the game too hard. For the first round I got Crazy Rich Asians, Nobel Peace Prize, and The Saint. I got Julia Child in the second round, but I swear the contestant (Ilene) said Childs. I also got Polio myelitis, retro rockets, Jupiter (DD), The King James Bible and FJ was an instaget. I’m surprised two of them missed it. I like the winner Karen. She keeps her hands calm in front of her with no jerky motions, and is a pretty lady. I even like the way her hair curls up reminiscent of a 1960’s flip. Well, I don’t like her that much (JK...don’t want to jinx her). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Powhatan (shame on the woman from Virginia for missing that one!)

Here it is again! His name is pronounced Pow-a-tan! She(and Alex) came no where near saying it correctly!!!! I wasn't even sure what they said so I looked at J!Archive. It is spelled Powhatan and she said, Powhatoa....don't know where that came from.

• Love 2

My first thought for FJ was Teddy Roosevelt, but then I didn’t think he was giving many interviews in 1950. So Ronald Reagan went through my mind, but he was more California. Plus wouldn’t the category be U.S. Presidents? So I ended up with Ernest Hemingway, even though the category should have been American Authors. Those writers, always trying to trick us.

Anyway, it was a good start to the week, even though I couldn’t watch the episode.

• Love 3
On 12/27/2019 at 3:24 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

This reminds me of a rant mid-70s Steve Martin went on when he was the opening act for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. He absolutely hated that Diana Ross "Theme From Mahogany" ... "do you know where you're going to?"  I think I may have fallen a little bit in love with him at that point.

OMG I love Steve Martin and Nitty Gritty! 

I saw Steve on tour back in the 70's at the height of his fame, particularly SNL skits....wild and crazy guys,  king tut, dancing with Gilda...good times. 

Nitty Gritty also. I  saw John McEuen in concert last year and read his book, The Life I Picked. He was instrumental (lol) in getting NGDB together with bluegrass founding mother and fathers....Maybelle Carter, Flatt and Scruggs, the Dillards, etc....

John and Steve are still friends as fellow banjo pickers. John has great stories about the old days. 

6 degrees...my aqua zumba teacher starred in the title role  in Bright Star at a local community theater. 

Interesting, earlier this week I told my therapist that I was going to find a trivia group and write in to Jeopardy to take the tests. Today they announced the new Jeopardy tests! 

The universe heard me! 

• Love 5

I was sad hobgoblin was a TS.  It is one of my favorite and most frequently used quotes.  I also got The Saint and Hampstead Heath.  

FJ was an instaget since I knew Hemingway had connections to western states (partly from knowing where he killed himself).  I thought all three would get it but the result at least followed my wish that if only one person gets FJ, she/he should win.

• Love 5

I was amazed that only Karen got FJ.  Western States throwing them off?  He lived in Idaho and that's where his family lived (and grandchildren--remember Margaux and her little sister, Marielle, the model/actress?) I think he killed himself at his home in Idaho. Didn't do all that well in double jeopardy.  I like Karen and hope she qualifies to eventually take on Ken and James some day.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm kind of sorry I read it. I sort of knew Hanna was a jerk, but this book solidified that for me.

Yes, I look at Hanna differently also.

I was kind if surprised that Hanna was on the Country Music historical doc..... when John was the impetus behind NGDB's connection to the roots of blue grass, and should have been on more. Still like their music. 

Have you heard The New Basement Tapes with Marcus Mumford, Rhiannon Giddens, and others?  Awesome! As she was also singing Crazy on the after-special with Country Music stars. I just got her earlier music so Merry Christmas to me.

Edited by Tosia
26 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

My first thought for FJ was Teddy Roosevelt, but then I didn’t think he was giving many interviews in 1950.

The New Yorker will go to great lengths to get an interview. The afterlife is no bar to them.

• LOL 11