Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Andy at TheJeopardyFan.com always has info about the FJ answer. What he posted about Wyoming's women allowed to vote is interesting since it also includes "the rest of the story." (TM Paul Harvey)

"In 1869, Wyoming Territory passed the Wyoming Suffrage Act, giving women the right to vote. On September 6, 1870, the polls opened in the first election since the passing of the act; Louisa Swain of Laramie gained the distinction of being the first woman voter (as Laramie’s polls opened 30 minutes prior to Cheyenne’s).

"According to the Wyoming State Historical Society, though, Wyoming’s reason behind giving women voting rights weren’t entirely magnanimous; many in the territory felt that it was necessary to counteract the fact that nonwhite men had been granted voting rights by the 14th and 15th Amendments. Another consideration was the thought that because men outnumbered women 6 to 1 in the territory at that point, that suffrage might attract more women to come to Wyoming."

ETA: Wyoming became the 44th state in July 1890.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Trey said:

A whole category about "ack" and not a single question about Bill the Cat?

Instaget FJ.  I know it is The Equality State and why it is called that.

😃

Doesn't work with "ack" in quotation marks though 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, opus said:

Jeopardy impeached out here (NYC). How’s it going where you are?

Same here.  The local station didn't even give us a hint if or when it might be re-run, so  I just went to thejeopardyfan.com to see what FJ was.  I got it fairly easily.

8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Both the House of York and the House of Lancaster were descended from the Plantagenets (from different sons of Edward III), so the House of Plantagenet was the winner of that battle as well.  You should've gotten a BMS with that answer, but who knows with Jeopardy's judges?

Actually, Bosworth Field was between Richard III of the House of York, and overall, Plantagenet, and Henry Tudor, who was only connected to the royal family through his grandmother’s line. She was Henry V’s widow and remarried a very minor Welsh nobleman with the last name of Tudor. Their children were Henry VI’s half-siblings, and Henry Tudor was named after his regal uncle. But since his was a line of descent through a female, he couldn’t claim a spot in with the House of Lancaster or Plantagenet and had to start a new line when he became king, thus ending the 300+ year old Plantagenet line.

(BTW, Henry VII’s mom, Margaret Beaufort, was an amazing woman who deserves a movie biography. A child bride, she had Henry at age 13, and then never had another child in all four of her marriages. She devoted her life to her son and making sure he got everything that he was heir to, while negotiating the constant upheaval that was the Wars of the Roses, and even coordinated the only thing that would ensure his survival, the overthrow of Richard III and Henry’s win at Bosworth Field, which only happened when Margaret’s husband finally threw his support behind his wife’s son and not the king he had sworn allegiance to. Margaret ended up not only attending her son’s coronation, but also her grandson’s.)

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Same here.  The local station didn't even give us a hint if or when it might be re-run, so  I just went to thejeopardyfan.com to see what FJ was.  I got it fairly easily.

Just looked. I said poinsettia  ☹️

Yeah, like Hillary Clinton would be caught dead judging a Miss Universe pageant; I laughed so hard I snorted at that guess.  If Alicia Machado watches J!, her reaction would be something to behold, I'm sure.

The chocolate chip TS was quite surprising, and they deserved Alex's reaction.  (He can miss me making fun of Christine's wagers, though, when he doesn't do it to his buddy James.)

There were a few other TS I'd have thought someone would get, but no other real surprises.  I am a little surprised FJ stumped two of them, though - I feel like the clue was designed to make you think of mistletoe, think, wait that's way too easy, realize, yep, it's not a tree, and then either come up with holly or not.  I predicted 2 of 3 would get it right, and one would fall for the mistletoe trap.  Fir I did not see coming.

Another 50 Cent clue, and another contestant who didn't nail it - although at least Dave gave it a shot and came close (at least to my ears; it sounded like a hybrid of "fifty" and "fiddy"/"fitty").

I've never known what DC Comics stands for (I'm not a fan of comic books/movies), so I hope that bit of trivia sticks in my head.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

The Holly and the Ivy is one of my favorite carols, so I said holly right away.

The Holly and the Ivy is just about my favorite, too, but I started out thinking of Christmas-type trees, then suddenly thought of the song, and then decided that holly fit, even though I wasn't sure it was a tree.

I wonder what Christine's odd wagers were about. I guess we'll never know. Boo. Hoo.

I got 14 Points, Lady Gaga, and Voyager.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I've never known what DC Comics stands for (I'm not a fan of comic books/movies), so I hope that bit of trivia sticks in my head.

Oh man, I would have nailed that one. Do you remember the category and value?

6 minutes ago, opus said:

The D.C. Comics clue was the $1200 clue in Acronyms and Abbreviations* and read: The "D" in DC Comics refers to this profession.  (Here's the page for this game on the J! Archive if you're interested.) 

*They drive me a little batty with this occasionally.  An acronym is a type of abbreviation.  So just call the damn category Abbreviations.  Or Acronyms and Initialisms (maybe that would teach more people the difference between the two).

• Love 2

Got 3 in a row FJ!  I guessed the holly tree because mistletoe is not a tree.  Also knew TS Lady Gaga and Voyager.

I was trying to remember the documentary where I saw the origin story of MacDonald's and it was "The Food that Built America".  Hershey's and Mars story is in it too. Fascinating stuff.

I still miss Jennifer too.  

Edited by solarfire
add info
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, solarfire said:

I was trying to remember the documentary where I saw the origin story of MacDonald's and it was "The Food that Built America".  Hershey's and Mars story is in it too. Fascinating stuff.

I caught a few eps of that -- the cereal and chocolate ones. I agree -- It was so interesting. I've got to see if the rest is online.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

(He can miss me making fun of Christine's wagers, though, when he doesn't do it to his buddy James.)

11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I wonder what Christine's odd wagers were about. I guess we'll never know. Boo. Hoo.

The thing about Christine's wagers was that they were so small! And I am not sure even she knew what she was betting! The last DD that she missed, she looked all around before coming  up with $624? Along with her strange betting I could not stand her voice and voices don't usually both me! I miss Jennifer and wish she was back. ( I miss James also but he will be back soon). I mentioned this for @lb60....sorry I couldn't resist!

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Driad said:

Might Jennifer be eligible to return in a tournament?

She def qualified for Tournament of Champions, which asks for five wins.

I was irritated by yesterday's FJ since holly grows on the farm and it's considered a bush or shrub, and looks nothing like a tree, and nothing like the sculpted trees I looked up online after the show. My holly looks like this, although now I suspect it might have been sculpted by Hereford cattle. Face it, this ain't no tree:

carnival_holly.jpg.026403cbb31b587877cde06cb6d01d84.jpg

Mistletoe was not a bad guess, although it's a parasite and grows high up in other trees. You can see it in winter when deciduous trees have dropped their leaves, it grows in sort of a ball. I used to sell a ton of it at craft shows in the fall.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, opus said:

Last night the radio show out of Chicago had a discussion about newspaper comics, and gave a special nod to Opus, then had a great deal to say about Bill the Cat. I thought it a nice "cowinkydence."

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Actually, Bosworth Field was between Richard III of the House of York, and overall, Plantagenet, and Henry Tudor, who was only connected to the royal family through his grandmother’s line. She was Henry V’s widow and remarried a very minor Welsh nobleman with the last name of Tudor. Their children were Henry VI’s half-siblings, and Henry Tudor was named after his regal uncle. But since his was a line of descent through a female, he couldn’t claim a spot in with the House of Lancaster or Plantagenet and had to start a new line when he became king, thus ending the 300+ year old Plantagenet line.

(BTW, Henry VII’s mom, Margaret Beaufort, was an amazing woman who deserves a movie biography. A child bride, she had Henry at age 13, and then never had another child in all four of her marriages. She devoted her life to her son and making sure he got everything that he was heir to, while negotiating the constant upheaval that was the Wars of the Roses, and even coordinated the only thing that would ensure his survival, the overthrow of Richard III and Henry’s win at Bosworth Field, which only happened when Margaret’s husband finally threw his support behind his wife’s son and not the king he had sworn allegiance to. Margaret ended up not only attending her son’s coronation, but also her grandson’s.)

Oops, you're correct, that particular battle was primarily Henry Tudor even though the wars of the Roses were majority Plantagenet until nearer the end.  I know all about Henry Tudor's lineage; I studied that period in college (Medieval & Renaissance major - will opine for hours about dead white European guys for money, lol).  It was just a brain-farty day for me yesterday.  Although I did get voting for FJ, and most of the TS clues.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, saber5055 said:

"According to the Wyoming State Historical Society, though, Wyoming’s reason behind giving women voting rights weren’t entirely magnanimous; many in the territory felt that it was necessary to counteract the fact that nonwhite men had been granted voting rights by the 14th and 15th Amendments. Another consideration was the thought that because men outnumbered women 6 to 1 in the territory at that point, that suffrage might attract more women to come to Wyoming."

Proof that sometimes people do the right things for not particularly good reasons.

16 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

The Holly and the Ivy is one of my favorite carols, so I said holly right away.

If I'd been in a Christmassy mood this year and was listening to my holiday cds, I probably would've gotten FJ since that carol is on several of them.  But holly didn't even occur to me.

I'm very glad the woman in the middle didn't win.  I could not have listened to that voice again, and would've had to check out until y'all here told me she was gone.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Another 50 Cent clue, and another contestant who didn't nail it - although at least Dave gave it a shot and came close (at least to my ears; it sounded like a hybrid of "fifty" and "fiddy"/"fitty").

Fiddy!  He was very funny in Spy.  Which is an absolutely hysterical movie.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got 14 Points, Lady Gaga, and Voyager.

I was surprised no one got Lady Gaga.  I surprised myself by somehow getting 14 points.  I've read a little about Wilson but why I pulled that out of my brain, I'll never know.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I was irritated by yesterday's FJ since holly grows on the farm and it's considered a bush or shrub, and looks nothing like a tree, and nothing like the sculpted trees I looked up online after the show. My holly looks like this, although now I suspect it might have been sculpted by Hereford cattle. Face it, this ain't no tree:

My parents' neighbor had several full-sized holly trees in their front yard when I was growing up.  (Still do, actually.)  They can get big if you let them, although I don't know whether or not you have to trim them a certain way to get a more tree-like shape.

• Love 1

Almost instaget FJ tonight for me.  I (for once) focused on the right thing in the clue -- the location -- and had a vague recollection that 3M was in St. Paul.  I wasn't confident in my answer, but it was the only thing I could think of.

I also got the TS of Cape Horn -- I've seen that albatross sculpture!  We weren't really in a good position for me to get a decent photo, unfortunately, but people with serious cameras did.  I could see it well with my binoculars.  I also got dog in the fight, and The Last Tycoon.

• Love 3

Eric's kinda cute, bouncing up & down. How did Dave(?) get to be champion last night? I wasn't home so I don't know how they all played. He seemed to be out of place on this show. Glad Eric did so well (but he didn't have tough competition). Will be interesting to see how he fares tomorrow. I must say it's interesting to see that people here still miss Jennifer. For FJ, I wrote MMM.  Wasn't that one of the original names of that company? Could I have gotten away with that? Looking for a kind Jeopardy show judge (one of those faceless folks who let competitors get away with weird pronunciations!) 😉

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Eric looks like and dressed like PeeWee Herman.

Thank you! I couldn't figure out who he reminded me of and you hit it on the nose!!

When I was growing up we had a huge holly tree in the front yard. It was a beautiful shape and full of those beautiful, shiny red berries! My first thought was mistletoe but I quickly remembered it was not a tree but a parasite!

We go to Trivia Night at Chick-fil-A and boy Jeopardy sure helped tonight! They had a question about Eric Clapton and Cream, which I would have known and the Montgomery Wards and Rudolph, which I learned last week from Jeopardy! They also had a question about the original filling flavor of Twinkies (banana which I learned from Jeopardy!) My son thought I was crazy but he believed me so we got that one. We took first place for the third time in a row so we have loads of Chick-fil-A goodies!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

The Saint Martin and Cape Horn TS would have surprised me several years ago, but I've come to expect that even J! contestants are bad at geography, especially outside of the United States.

The Scientific American TS did surprise me a bit, with two others ruled out.  Same with killer whale, once they knew it had to be a whale.  As did none of them knowing "no dog in this fight".  The Dakota Access Pipeline TS made me sad.

The culture war clue had no business as a DD in DJ (nor did "culture shock" - with culture spotted - belong in DJ).

I was bummed not to get to the last clue in the first round; 1999 is a time when I still watched a lot of TV and paid attention to entertainment media, so I was doing well, even though Judging Amy was the only show I watched.  (I had no idea Spongebob Squarepants had [has?] been on that long.)

FJ came to me quickly because I'd read an interview with Sherman earlier this year.  If I hadn't, maybe I would have made the St. Paul-3M connection in time, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Bastet

I thought he looked like a cross betw Jon Cryer and Colin Hanks.

I admit I was a bit surprised when he did that sign at the beginning of the show. He said it stood for Wildcats, but I'd be careful about flashing anything that looks similar to the "OK" sign.

I got Scientific American. I couldn't come up with The Last Tycoon in time.]

I did get 3M, though really that was just a guess.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

was bummed not to get to the last clue in the first round; 1999 is a time when I still watched a lot of TV and paid attention to entertainment media, so I was doing well, even though Judging Amy was the only show I watched.  (I had no idea Spongebob Squarepants had [has?] been on that long.)

I called “freaks and geeks “ when I saw that category. That’s my answer and I’m sticking to it. 

Agree that there’s no way sponge bob is that old!

On 12/18/2019 at 10:32 PM, Bastet said:

I am a little surprised FJ stumped two of them, though - I feel like the clue was designed to make you think of mistletoe, think, wait that's way too easy, realize, yep, it's not a tree, and then either come up with holly or not.  I predicted 2 of 3 would get it right, and one would fall for the mistletoe trap.  Fir I did not see coming.

I guessed fir. I was 95% sure it was wrong, but it was all I could come up with. I was thinking it was a tree, and I don't think of holly as being a tree. I was thinking of Christmas trees, and those can be fir trees.

I got dog in the fight, the last tycoon and Scientific American.  OTOH, I had no idea about FJ so my streak is over. That Native category was beyond sad. Hard to watch.

All 3 contestants were sooo annoying in their own way, hoping for a new champ tomorrow.

I should have got FJ - they use 3M fairly often on the show and I think I know it's in Minnesota but it just wasn't coming to me.

I had to use my goto company for Minnesota - Minneapolis-Moline.

My only ts that I remember is dog in the fight.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Eric looks like and dressed like PeeWee Herman.

I know you are, but what am I.

13 hours ago, secnarf said:

I was thinking it was a tree, and I don't think of holly as being a tree. I was thinking of Christmas trees, and those can be fir trees.

Which is why I said "yew."

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I had to use my goto company for Minnesota - Minneapolis-Moline.

One of those came with this farm, and I sold it for a pittance, before learning that antique tractors can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

When I read the FJ clue, the image of an M crossed my brain, followed by an ampersand and another cap M. I shook those out of my head, then correctly answered 3M.

I believe MMM would have been ruled correct. Well, it would be if I had been judging.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I called “freaks and geeks “ when I saw that category. That’s my answer and I’m sticking to it.

39 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I pre-called "The West Wing".

Well, there was one clue left, so we can both assume we were right!

• Love 1

I'm not an Eric fan.  I had high hopes he'd lose tonight.  Oh well.  At least he made it a close game by wagering a lot on a DD in a category he was less than knowledgeable about.  Unfortunately, he made up for it in FJ.  Which wasn't quite an instaget for me, but I did get it.  Jeopardy loves that book.

Rhoda as a TS made me very sad.  I know nothing about boxing, but was still yelling "light heavyweight!" at my TV.  And I guess Medflies aren't in the news so much anymore, but I got that, too, as well as the other TS of liquid propane gas, and Rachmaninoff.  Which I'm glad I didn't have to spell (I'm not sure I spelled it right even now!).

• Love 2

I remember the Mediterranean Fruit Fly from the 50s.  There was a massive spraying program going on and it had gotten to a certain point southward in Florida. Our family was on a road trip, coming up from Miami with a giant basket of peaches. They stopped us and made us either eat or throw out the peaches, since they couldn't be assured they weren't carrying larva.  We ate as many as we could before letting them destroy the rest. Nobody wanted dinner that evening.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Yes it was. And considering the clue contained "Rach 3" made it more surprising. I was very sad about Rhoda. ☹️

58 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Yes it was. And considering the clue contained "Rach 3" made it more surprising. I was very sad about Rhoda. ☹️

See, this is where I must not be playing the game correctly. It bugged me that I missed Rhoda cause I watched that show from beginning to end.  I keep forgetting the category topics. Is there a trick to remembering the topics?

• Love 1