Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

18 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Interesting, earlier this week I told my therapist that I was going to find a trivia group and write in to Jeopardy to take the tests. Today they announced the new Jeopardy tests! 

The universe heard me! 

I'm glad you found this thread. Some of the posters here are past Jeopardy contestants. I hope you become one as well!

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm glad you found this thread. Some of the posters here are past Jeopardy contestants. I hope you become one as well!

I started watching consistently again because I noticed that I was forgetting proper names....I'm only 65. I can see the person/celebrity in my mind but the name frequently evades me . 

So far so good.

I was very happy to get FJ today and a week or so ago...Martin van Buren, and a month ago when no one got it:  I even texted my son on that answer: Plastics and Rosebud. 

I find I warm up and get better as the game goes on. 

Except on  chemistry questions. 

It's still fun.  Surprising to find out how much arcane knowledge I remember. 

• Love 6

I got Nobel Peace Prize, The Saint, proscenium, hobgoblin, retrorockets, King James Bible, and FJ, so pretty good overall. I was close on two others, but Hampton Heath is not Hampstead Heath, and I think I would have gotten thumbs down on polio melitus, since I forgot to pronounce the y.

25 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

Sheen should have been a full name. I knew Nobel Peace Prize and hobgoblin. Double Jeopardy was easy once they mentioned Cuba.

Yes, they should have required MARTIN Sheen....I guess everyone forgot about his 'crazy" son, Charlie Sheen 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Tonight, I got Nobel Peace Prize, The Saint, and FJ.

If the past several weeks are any indication, I won't be getting another FJ correct until Friday. Lately, I haven't had a clue for FJ during the middle of the week. Craziness!

On 12/27/2019 at 4:22 PM, Clanstarling said:

Rules do change over time...but I was only half (maybe a quarter) serious. However, I'm right on board with hating the "her and I, and me and him" constructions. They do make me cringe.

So ( 😉 ), I'm a big believer in the value of both colloquial language and formal language. Each has its place. Some grammar errors bug me even in colloquial speech (see above), others do not. However, when it comes to writing professionals (being one myself), I have little patience. (except for fiction - where language can be formal, informal, and artistically weird)

Considering the forum and your general stance, you might want to capitalize "except".

• LOL 5

I got Nobel Peace Prize, The Saint, proscenium, and hobgoblin.

It took a moment for me to get Hemingway, but I got it in plenty of time. When the first two contestants got it wrong, I was hoping for an asterisk. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I just read the archive, and add me to the list of those surprised only one contestant got FJ.  (And to the list of those sad hobgoblin was a TS, since that's a great word.)

I got all the TS other than King James Bible, and did pretty well overall, but had two big mistakes:  I said "Timberlake" instead of "Timberlands" and, incredibly, drew a total blank on "commandment".  I mean, I know I don't know much about religious texts, but come on.  For some reason covenant wouldn't get out of my head to make room for the "-ment" word to come forth.  That is pretty much go see a neurologist just in case level of brain fart.

• Love 1

Cuba and Paris did it for me. Hemingway is one of the names I mention when people ask me who inspired my writing (Stephen King and Rosemary Rogers are 2 others <g>).

However, I'm right on board with hating the "her and I, and me and him" constructions.

Me, too.

Mr. Author likes to watch shows like 48 Hours and Dateline, where the cops (and practically everybody else) say lay for lie. "She was laying there."

I picture a hen!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I got all the TS other than King James Bible, and did pretty well overall, but had two big mistakes:  I said "Timberlake" instead of "Timberlands" 

I said Timberlake too, then realized I must've been thinking of the artist, Timberlake (although I know he doesn't create shoes!) 

Edited by annzeepark914
10 hours ago, Brookside said:

Considering the forum and your general stance, you might want to capitalize "except".

Got me! That will teach me to do last minute editing w/o reviewing. 😄

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Cuba/ Paris - of course it’s Hemingway. How did 2 of them miss it? 

It was the trifecta for me, those two and western states got me to it immediately. The mister, not so much (my encouraging, "come on, you know this" was not encouraging enough...and maybe not appreciated. LOL.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

The TSs I got were Nobel Peace Prize and the King James Bible.  Both seemed really easy to me to be TS, but OK.  I got the entire categories of edible pop culture and famous women.

I was surprised that no one at least took a stab at "the Bible," and then the BMS question would have guided them to the version. I mean, that bit of Ruth is well known outside of religious circles.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I love the word "hobgoblin".

Me too, and that quote in particular.

13 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Here it is again! His name is pronounced Pow-a-tan! She(and Alex) came no where near saying it correctly!!!! I wasn't even sure what they said so I looked at J!Archive. It is spelled Powhatan and she said, Powhatoa....don't know where that came from.

I managed to muddle a semi correct pronunciation. It seems like she combined Powhatan with Krakatoa.

11 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Sheen should have been a full name.

Agreed.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Cuba/ Paris - of course it’s Hemingway. How did 2 of them miss it? 

I got Hemingway, but I did hesitate briefly based on the category "1950s People."  I associate Hemingway more with the 20s and 30s, when most of his major novels were published.  The Old Man and the Sea, in 1952, was something of a comeback for him after several years of publishing very little.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Don't you mean "Book larnin' ain't all that anyways"? (Cringing at anyways!)

Nice catch! Yes, I thought of that after I posted, but was too lazy to go back and fix it up more better.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

So anyways... (just thinking 'bout the grammar police LOL)... Mr Bliss commented that I should "get on that show". I think he said something about making some serious money... yeah, right.

(Tonight's show, overall, seemed ridiculously easy to me. I doubt I'm the only one.)

Not going to happen. I know I'm way smarter in my living room than I'll ever be anywhere else.

Happy New Year to everyone and may 2020 be your BEST year EVER!

• Love 9

First of all- I echo Bliss with Happy New Year wishes to all.  

But my Jeopardy year ends on a sad note since my City (Dearborn) was a TS.  I am going to sit quietly sobbing in a dark, sad corner. 🤣

Seriously everyone be safe and healthy in the New Year.  We can fake the rest. 🥳🥂🎊

• Love 8

I didn't get FJ.  I, of course, knew they were talking about TV dinners, but with 700,000 different companies putting them out now, I didn't know who started them and said Stouffer's.

I got Brinks, moose, and yellow.

I did fairly well in the first round, but the second killed me.  And getting FJ wrong on top of it just sent me into ridiculous amounts of debt.

I also took ridiculously long figuring out the his-tory category (not that it made a difference). But I thought it was about male history, not Tories.  Face palm.

I guess it helped being old in getting FJ. My husband was born in 1949, me in 1950. Swanson's was the only thing out there in 1954 (I think). I don't think my mother ever bought a TV dinner, but I remember them, probably from TV commercials.

• Love 4

I missed the first part of the episode while I was standing in a doorway holding the antenna over my head so that station would come in.

Once it did (after the interviews), this was the best.episode.EVAH. I got TSs of Brinks, Charlie Puth (He was on Songland, guys), moose (because this show loves calling them the largest elk), @Grundoon59's hometown of Dearborn (which I said before the clue was even finished being read), Cleveland (again, before the clue was finished. I show at the Western Reserve Kennel Club dog shows.)

Then FJ put a HUGE smile on my face. I couldn't believe this year ended with the best FJ EVAH. It was a total shout out to me, me, me. Because when I'm introduced to people, I like to say that I'm the frozen-food heiress. BAM! Typically, that's met with a blank stare, the same look I'd get from everyone here who did not answer FJ correctly today.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Oy vey...Swanson's never dawned on me.  I kept thinking Butterball (but sensed that's not what they were looking for but...what the hey were they looking for???)  Dang. I said Butterball.  But at least Karen is still the champ and IMO, that's very good! 😊

• Love 3

I immediately thought Swanson, briefly considered Birdseye, but came back to Swanson in plenty of time to write it down.  Happy New Year!

I also got the TS/missed DD of Operation, Brinks, Cal Tech, moose, Pablo Neruda, Kansas, and Loyalists.  Loyalists being a TS surprised me, given the clue.  I admit that Pablo Neruda was a guess.  Neruda is the only Chilean poet I've ever heard of, so it seemed logical.

• Love 2

I read the archive during breaks in football play, so it was a choppy game for me, but I still did better than the contestants - with at least a dozen TS and two missed DD, this wasn't a very good game to end the year.

FJ was an instaget (I've never had one, but TV dinner = Swanson).  I guess Karen got distracted by turkey.

I'm not surprised Cleveland was a TS in the sense of being surprised none of them knew it (and I didn't, either), but I am a little surprised only one of them made a stab at it, knowing it had to be a Midwest city.  Even more so with the Dearborn TS; I'm not really surprised no one knew it, just that no one even guessed when it was narrowed down to a city near Detroit.

Quite a few of the numerous other TS did surprise me to some degree, though:  Loyalists (given the category and wording of the clue) and Brink's the most, but also Public Enemy, moose, Cal Tech, Operation, Kansas, Robert Galbraithe (I didn't know that one, either, but with so many Rowling fans in the world, I thought at least one of them would).

I didn't even think of TV dinners. I'll have to look at the clue again to see what I missed. I said Butterball. I thought the aluminum trays were those big roasting pans. Oh well.

I only got Brinks and moose. There were a couple, like Deerborn, that I "knew" but couldn't quite recall.

Tonight Alex said to Karen, "You're going to lose some money, but not much, I fear." 😄 He did that at least once before. 

Well, I'm glad someone else got the Little Apple in Kansas.  Kansas is my home state, so it makes me sad it was a ts.

Like some of the rest of us, I knew Swanson's right away.  My mom worked and didn't like to cook, so the TV dinners were a staple in our house growing up.  I liked both the turkey and the fried chicken, and the mashed potatoes cooked in the foil trays.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I managed to muddle a semi correct pronunciation. It seems like she combined Powhatan with Krakatoa.

I thought of the Lost Colony and the "Croatoa" left behind.   Wait. That was "Croatoan," so never mind.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
15 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Well, I'm glad someone else got the Little Apple in Kansas.  Kansas is my home state, so it makes me sad it was a ts.

I'd heard of Manhattan, KS prior to it being mentioned in an episode of The West Wing, and after that it was firmly stuck in my head, so I got it.  I didn't know it was called The Little Apple and thus dropped an apple at midnight.  In fact, while I got all those "ball" drop ones right based on the clues in their entirety, I didn't specifically know the New Year's Eve fact about any of them; I'm not much of a NYE person, but I found myself wishing the remaining clue in that category had been revealed so I could learn another little bit of such trivia -- should I ever actually host another NYE party, I could regale my guests with these tidbits.  (Quite a shindig that would be, I know.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
On 12/30/2019 at 10:36 PM, lb60 said:

If the past several weeks are any indication, I won't be getting another FJ correct until Friday. Lately, I haven't had a clue for FJ during the middle of the week. Craziness!

Quoting myself, because in what must be a New Year's Eve miracle, FJ was an instaget. Go figure.

Happy New Year to you all!!

Edited by lb60
  • Love 7

Happy New Year, everyone!!

I got Brinks, moose, Cleveland, Galbraith, Loyalists, and FJ, so not too bad. I was waffling between Cleveland and Cincinnati until settling on the first — I knew Case Western from a book about hominid discoveries I read back in high school and have reread lots since (the author, Donald Johanson, taught there when he found Lucy). 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I would like to know who assigns clue values. Charlie Chaplin was a 1000 dollar clue and Rachel Platen was a 200 dollar clue? He's more famous than she is.

I wondered too.

I started keeping track of how many correct answers I get.... got half right there first game and 1/3 right on the second round, plus FJ. 

Next I'll start keeping $ values of qs...just out of curiosity. 

I plan to take the tests later in January, even though I know I'm past my Jeopardy prime.  

It's not a blood sport for me.....yet.  

Lol. 

• Love 2

TS's for me were Brinks, Cal Tech, Dearborn and Brian Mulroney.

I went with Bird's Eye instead of Swanson for FJ.

Happy New Year to everyone!

and as a good Canadian I also got Loyalists

I was so embarrassed that I missed this one.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I didn't get FJ.  I, of course, knew they were talking about TV dinners, but with 700,000 different companies putting them out now, I didn't know who started them and said Stouffer's.

I grew up on Swanson's (they were a treat in our house), and thought briefly about Stouffer's - but I know Stouffer's meals are fancier, so figured they were probably later.

12 hours ago, GrannySmith said:

Swanson’s was an instaget. I’m old, and I loved those turkey dinners. The fried chicken dinner was good too. 

Fried chicken and meatloaf were my faves. I always enjoyed the little desserts. But I hated the ham dinner with that nasty sweet "gravy" and raisins.

11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Like some of the rest of us, I knew Swanson's right away.  My mom worked and didn't like to cook, so the TV dinners were a staple in our house growing up.  I liked both the turkey and the fried chicken, and the mashed potatoes cooked in the foil trays.

I didn't know about the Little Apple, but the primary vendor I work with is in Manhattan, so it was an easy leap to make.

8 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I would like to know who assigns clue values. Charlie Chaplin was a 1000 dollar clue and Rachel Platen was a 200 dollar clue? He's more famous than she is.

I had absolutely no idea about Rachel Platen . Her face and name mean nothing - though the lyrics to the song are a wee bit familiar.

15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I guess it helped being old in getting FJ. My husband was born in 1949, me in 1950. Swanson's was the only thing out there in 1954 (I think). I don't think my mother ever bought a TV dinner, but I remember them, probably from TV commercials.

Here is an interesting article about the history of TV dinners. Not surprisingly, the first frozen meals were manufactured during WWII. I grew up eating lots of Swanson and Banquet meals. I remember the experience of eating my first fried chicken dinner in a Southern restaurant--I was both pleased and disappointed that it tasted just like Swanson's.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

We ate a lot of pot pies once Mother saw something in a women's magazine. Wash the aluminum foil pans, cut a hole in the center of the bottom of the pan. When you hang your outdoor Xmas lights, slide the pan over each light socket and then screw the bulb in. Ooooohh...it's a HALO around the light!

(The fifties were not known for their class & taste.)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 12
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I had absolutely no idea about Rachel Platen . Her face and name mean nothing - though the lyrics to the song are a wee bit familiar.

Like Bill, I was thinking Sara Bareilles -- at least that's who I thought he was going for. Maybe I don't know how to pronounce her name.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Fried chicken and meatloaf were my faves. I always enjoyed the little desserts.

Yes, I think I remember the little desserts.  It'd be like baked apples or something.  

11 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Maybe not in décor, but probably  moreso then than now in decorum.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

We ate a lot of pot pies once Mother saw something in a women's magazine. Wash the aluminum foil pans, cut a hole in the center of the bottom of the pan. When you hang your outdoor Xmas lights, slide the pan over each light socket and then screw the bulb in. Ooooohh...it's a HALO around the light!

Not a bastion of taste, myself, I "won" a giant Christmas ball with lights, made from a bunch of clear plastic cups in one of those work gift exchanges where you can steal someone's gift. It looks bad in the daylight - but very pretty at night. So we use it every year we put up lights. I bet those halos looked kind of nice at night.

• Love 6