Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I liked Karen - and realized she must never have participated in track and field. So sad.

The new champ - Lisa? - loved her interview about her marriage proposal! I was not expecting that punch line to her story.

My FJ response tonight was 'not Beckham but the other guy!' His name just would not come to me.

My response for "Chariots of Fire" was also "the one where they run on a beach with the music".

My brain is fried. It's making work quite a challenge, never mind Jeopardy!

• LOL 3
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Karen lost my respect when she, as a political consultant, didn't know "lobbyist." 

Maybe she did and got beat on the buzzer both times?  Although, she didn't know the nonpartisan DD.  She still has my respect, but I bet that was embarrassing for her.

Sad for Karen to lose in the episode Alex started by talking about all the annoying men who’ve had good runs and contrasting her as just a normal woman who played the game.  Of course, that’s not how he phrased it, and not how he meant it, but I like the Karens of the world a lot better than the Austins, Buzzys, and Jameses of the world, so that’s how I feel about it.

But I’m not certainly not mad at someone like Lisa taking over after playing a great game, so I was just glad to finally see a game after missing several altogether and relying on the archive for quite a few before that.

And I got a good laugh out of her "Who is that soccer guy?" answer for FJ.  I knew it had to be a male soccer player, and after quickly figuring Beckham - who first sprang to mind - was well past his popularity prime, came up with "That guy in his underwear.  Christian Something.  No, Cristiano."  I didn't get to his last name in time. 

I’m surprised Longfellow was a TS after Karen just screwed up the first name.  And that Dubai was a TS when "Emirates" was shown in the photo (meaning it pretty much had to be Dubai or Abu Dhabi, and was most likely Dubai, yet the only guess was Singapore instead of even a city in the UAE).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I spent most of this episode holding the antenna over my head and trying to find a place in the door jam where the station would come in. And stay in. I don't have a clue if there were any TSs. But ...

for all you deprived people who have never heard of Cristiano Ronaldo, behold:

1768055934_cristianoronaldo.jpg.21defc6c0fefae3b4df03c3a60b61534.jpg

The rest of him is just as nice.

He's arguably the best soccer player of all time, and is the third richest athlete in the world ($108 million per year), On the down side, he's been sued for tax evasion in Spain, and a rape charge was filed against him here last January. That was big news in the U.S. At least I heard about it. At that same time, a friend was breeding her dog, named Kate Spade, to a male named Cristiano Renaldo, and I told her the pups would be doomed, having a suicide mom and a rapist dad. (The pups ended up being just fine.)

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Bliss said:

I liked Karen - and realized she must never have participated in track and field. So sad.

The new champ - Lisa? - loved her interview about her marriage proposal! I was not expecting that punch line to her story.

I've never participated in track and field, but I have watched it in the Olympics. So I got it.

Whereas I, crab that I am, was "so, he risked your lives and other driver's lives on that icy road?"

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got NAACP and Dubai.

For FJ I said Usain Bolt. No clue.

I said Abu Dhabi. I was thrilled to find out that at least it's in the same country (given that I'm crap at geography), and it's the capital of the UAE. So, good for me to at least be in the neighborhood!

• Love 3

I knew it was Cristiano Ronaldo and I suck at sports categories. One of my students in the fall did a short assignment about him, but I also remember seeing something a couple of years ago about Cristiano being a popular baby name because of him and looked him up.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was surprised by that but also noticed she wasn't playing so well tonight. 

Yeah, she might have hit the point where players who have won a lot of games get really tired. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Yeah, she might have hit the point where players who have won a lot of games get really tired. 

I think this is it! Karen's surprisingly poor efforts kept reminding me of previous multiple-day champs. Being unable to answer clues that should've been easy for them is, IMO, the sign that they're worn out.  You find yourself thinking, "What's wrong with the champ tonight?"

• Love 3
Just now, annzeepark914 said:

Being unable to answer clues that should've been easy for them is, IMO, the sign that they're worn out. 

Which is one of the reasons why I think Ken's record of games won will never be broken.  At a point, they just get exhausted.  And if they live on the East Coast, eventually you have to add in all those cross country flights. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I've never participated in track and field, but I have watched it in the Olympics. So I got it.

Whereas I, crab that I am, was "so, he risked your lives and other driver's lives on that icy road?"

As soon as Karen guessed long jump (the clue mentioned a distance of 5' 6" or something like that), I knew she was toast. Anyone with any knowledge of t&f, esp long jump, would know this was a ridiculous guess. e.g., when I was a teen competing, my distance was in the 20 feet range. At this point in the game, I wondered if Karen was severely overtired or otherwise "done". She also missed a couple of political clues which I found easy (the nonpartisan and lobbyist ones) and I think if she was in normal mode, she'd have gotten those. JMO. I felt badly for her.

Re Lisa's story, I was right there with you in crab mode! I was just starting to think, "what a boring story to tell... this is worse than soda-pop-whateveryouwanttocallit woman... " and I too, had thoughts about road safety - and then she blew me out of the park with her proposal punch line.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I have never heard of the FJ person from tonight's regular game.  I said Beckham.  

I was pretty sure the answer would be a soccer star, but the only two I know by name are Pele (yes, I'm old!) and David Beckham, so I went with the latter. Oh! I also know Megan Rapinoe but figured it wouldn't be a female.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Never heard of the person who was the FJ! answer.  

Cristiano Ronaldo is probably the most well-known current soccer player in the world.  He also is a model and something of a media celebrity.  He was an instaget for me.  But he's someone that, if you'd never heard of him, the clue wasn't going to help you.

Hopefully with the new champ, they'll clear the board on a regular basis.  But visually she reminds me of a former coworker who made my life miserable, so while she seems nice, I hope she doesn't stick around too long.  (It's me, not her.)

• Love 2
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got NAACP and Dubai.

So did I.  I thought NAACP was easy, but maybe they thought it was too obvious?

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

And that Dubai was a TS when "Emirates" visible in the photo meant it simply asked for the capital of the UAE.  I know even J! contestants are bad with geography in general these days, but I really thought at least one would know something like Dubai.

I'd like to think I'd have known it anyway, but I really only knew Dubai because a) it's been on the Amazing Race several times, and b) the English soccer club I support has Emirates Airlines as their major corporate sponsor; their stadium is even named "Emirates".

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I spent most of this episode holding the antenna over my head and trying to find a place in the door jam where the station would come in. And stay in. I don't have a clue if there were any TSs. But ...

for all you deprived people who have never heard of Cristiano Ronaldo, behold:

1768055934_cristianoronaldo.jpg.21defc6c0fefae3b4df03c3a60b61534.jpg

The rest of him is just as nice.

He's arguably the best soccer player of all time, and is the third richest athlete in the world ($108 million per year), On the down side, he's been sued for tax evasion in Spain, and a rape charge was filed against him here last January. That was big news in the U.S. At least I heard about it. At that same time, a friend was breeding her dog, named Kate Spade, to a male named Cristiano Renaldo, and I told her the pups would be doomed, having a suicide mom and a rapist dad. (The pups ended up being just fine.)

He's very fine to look at, but my god is he an arrogant asshole.  Shame that he's so damned talented.

• LOL 2
On 1/5/2020 at 3:42 PM, illdoc said:

The clue: "The calendar I just got doesn't say it's using the "new style" created by the 13th pope of this name, but it's a good guess" (my bolding)

So they were obviously looking for the name of the pope, so "Gregorian" is wrong. The pope is Gregory (XIII).

I read the clue when it aired. I think they've been lenient about that sort of thing before. They could have been here.

I'm not sorry to see the end of Karen's reign, but I wish her no ill. I wonder if there'll be any difference in her play by the time of the next TOC.

I was proud of myself for pulling martinet out of the air on Lisa's DD. I'm also giving myself credit for FJ because I waffled between Cristian Ronaldo and [first name unknown] Messi without ever having seen a soccer game or really knowing how soccer works.

9 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I read the clue when it aired. I think they've been lenient about that sort of thing before. They could have been here.

I'm not sorry to see the end of Karen's reign, but I wish her no ill. I wonder if there'll be any difference in her play by the time of the next TOC.

I was proud of myself for pulling martinet out of the air on Lisa's DD. I'm also giving myself credit for FJ because I waffled between Cristian Ronaldo and [first name unknown] Messi without ever having seen a soccer game or really knowing how soccer works.

Lionel Messi (also known as Leo), but I impressed at your knowing both last names without any soccer experience.  Bravo.

I don't think they should've been lenient with Gregorian.  It was not the right answer.  I also don't think they should be lenient at all.

• LOL 1
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't think they should've been lenient with Gregorian.  It was not the right answer.  I also don't think they should be lenient at all.

Same here -- my problem with the inconsistency is that they sometimes do let incorrect answers of that nature slide, not that they didn't do it this time. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Bliss said:

As soon as Karen guessed long jump (the clue mentioned a distance of 5' 6" or something like that), I knew she was toast. Anyone with any knowledge of t&f, esp long jump, would know this was a ridiculous guess. e.g., when I was a teen competing, my distance was in the 20 feet range.

Yeah, I don't know that much, but just enough to know that 5'6" is too short for a long jump, and in the neighborhood for a high jump, at least back in the day.

• Love 1

I got fJ, but it took some brain wracking.  I knew it, but I couldn't think.  Had I actually been on the show, I' pretty sure that panic would have gotten the best of me.  I got the entire "b"east category correct.  I also got the TSs of endorse, "Do not go gentle in that good night" (before all the close answers), Tchaikovsky, and My Little Pony

• Love 1

Congratulations, Shaun. You win the award for most annoying contestant in recent memory. What an ass!!*

I only managed to get GLOW and My Little Pony. I had to tune out the show, because Shaun!!*

No clue for FJ, because Shaun!!*

Ugh!!*

*Apologies for the overuse of !!. Again, Shaun!! ;-)

Also, Lisa needs to stop saying okay after every answer.

<rant over>

I feel much better.

Edited by lb60
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Congratulations, Shaun. You win the award for most annoying contestant in recent memory. What an ass!!*

I was gone so didn't see today's show. For which, after reading here, I'm grateful.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

Maybe she did and got beat on the buzzer both times?  Although, she didn't know the nonpartisan DD.  She still has my respect, but I bet that was embarrassing for her.

Sad for Karen to lose in the episode Alex started by talking about all the annoying men who’ve had good runs and contrasting her as just a normal woman who played the game.  Of course, that’s not how he phrased it, and not how he meant it, but I like the Karens of the world a lot better than the Austins, Buzzys, and Jameses of the world, so that’s how I feel about it.

But I’m not certainly not mad at someone like Lisa taking over after playing a great game, so I was just glad to finally see a game after missing several altogether and relying on the archive for quite a few before that.

And I got a good laugh out of her "Who is that soccer guy?" answer for FJ.  I knew it had to be a male soccer player, and after quickly figuring Beckham - who first sprang to mind - was well past his popularity prime, came up with "That guy in his underwear.  Christian Something.  No, Cristiano."  I didn't get to his last name in time. 

I’m surprised Longfellow was a TS after Karen just screwed up the first name.  And that Dubai was a TS when "Emirates" was shown in the photo (meaning it pretty much had to be Dubai or Abu Dhabi, and was most likely Dubai, yet the only guess was Singapore instead of even a city in the UAE).

Though I wouldn’t lump James in with Buzzy and Austin!  James was not a showboat-y douche

• Love 8

All it took was watching Shaun's intro routine to think "oh, the forum will be reacting to him".  Mother Grundoon was more gracious at first but he even got on her nerves.  I was reduced to rooting for anyone but him even though I tried to admire the fact that he actually got on the show which is more than I have done. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

All it took was watching Shaun's intro routine to think "oh, the forum will be reacting to him". 

Okay, now I'm hoping President Eisenhower will post this episode. I really want to meet Shaun.

From y'all's comments, I'm not so sad that I didn't get to see the game tonight.  I am sad, though, that I couldn't come up with anything for FJ.  Again.  I'm wrecking my great 4/5 from last week!

Funny; we were just discussing things they let slide that irritate me, and tonight Lisa saying "groat" instead of "groats" was accepted.  "Groat" is not two letters longer than "oats".

There were over a dozen TS tonight, and several more clues for which there was at least one incorrect guess before someone got it.  Yikes.

I can't believe "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" was one of the TS.  (By which I guess I mean I can't believe Rachel didn't ring in and finally say it correctly.)  The endorse TS really surprised me, too.  I want to be surprised Serbia and Croatia was a TS, since it was one of those "identify the countries highlighted on this map" clues, but I just can't be surprised by geography TS anymore.

Lisa's FJ answer made me laugh again.

• Love 1

I missed the very beginning of the show, so I guess I have to use my DVR to see what pleasures I missed.

I got endorse, Glow, My Little Pony, Cole Porter, and Beethoven.

I wasn't positive about FJ, but I said Dreyfuss anyway. Still counts. 🙂

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lb60 said:

<rant over>

I feel much better.

I'm trying to be charitable but I hope he sees himself on television and stays out of public until he's fixed all of his unfortunate problems - voice, bodily twitches, buzzer tics, etc.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3

I'm generally pretty chill about contestants (I actually liked Buzzy, Austin, and Matt), but man, even I have my limits. My husband laughed at my reactions - I was pretty vocal throughout.

FJ was an instaget for me, but I wasn't great on the board in general. That's okay, it's the FJ Contest I care about.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Dreyfus was mentioned on the Dick Van Dyke show, IIRC.  Something like "But he's innocent."  "So was Dreyfus."  This was the 1960s.  Apparently the writers expected that many viewers knew about the Dreyfus case.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Okay, now I'm hoping President Eisenhower will post this episode. 

Uh oh. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think he died in 1969.

• LOL 8
5 hours ago, Driad said:

Dreyfus was mentioned on the Dick Van Dyke show, IIRC.  Something like "But he's innocent."  "So was Dreyfus."  This was the 1960s.  Apparently the writers expected that many viewers knew about the Dreyfus case.

The Dreyfus Affair was a huge deal, nationally and internationally.  It's a shame it's no longer a point of reference.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Driad said:

For comparison's sake,  it was only a little over 60's years in the past then. The 1960's are in the past for us for roughly the same time period (too early to do the math accurately, sorry), and I think we expect people to know the pivotal events of the 1960's.

• Love 1

I think it was Ken on the GOAT game that mentioned how it’s different/difficult to play two games in a row. Whew. Try watching 3 in a row. That’s exhausting. 

I had a good night. Much better than the night prior. I got Bison, Endorse, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Sequoia. Had no clue about FJ. Hence why I don’t play the FJ contest. Well I could if everyone needs someone they can always do better than lol. 

• Love 4

Shaun looked like he had just come straight from the set of A Night at the Roxbury in 1998.

Also, I meant to mention this the other day but forgot - there was a clue the other night that asked for an occupation and I am 99.9% sure Lisa (I think it was Lisa, the current champ) said "choreography."  But wouldn't the actual occupation be choreographer?  Or are both acceptable?  Or did I just mishear her?  I just thought they would come back and ding her for it after the commercial, but they didn't.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

For comparison's sake,  it was only a little over 60's years in the past then. The 1960's are in the past for us for roughly the same time period (too early to do the math accurately, sorry), and I think we expect people to know the pivotal events of the 1960's.

Like lines from The Dick Van Dyke Show!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

The Jeopardy! writers sure do love Dreyfus. Questions regarding the Dreyfus Affair, in some variation or another, turn up fairly often.

Lots of ts's.  I got bison, endorse, Do not go gentle into that good night, Tchaikovsky, and the missed DD of Montreal.

• Love 3

I'd like to ask everyone here, please don't mention anything about the GOAT Tournament in the daily show thread. It's hard enough to fit in viewing the half-hour show every night (am working when it's on and have to DVR it), there's no way I could watch another whole hour. So I plan to slam through the entire week's GOAT shows this weekend. Looking forward to it!

I didn't find Shaun as annoying as many of you did, but I'm still glad he didn't win!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

The Dreyfus Affair was a huge deal, nationally and internationally.  It's a shame it's no longer a point of reference.

Feel free to point your Finger of Shame at me since the only Dreyfus I know is Richard. However, I do know several lines and plots from The Dick Van Dyke Show.

12 hours ago, opus said:

Uh oh. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think he died in 1969.

Oh, but Opus, he lives in cyberspace!

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Had no clue about FJ. Hence why I don’t play the FJ contest. Well I could if everyone needs someone they can always do better than lol. 

There are prizes awarded for that!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1