Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Patrick Stewart is magic, then combine him with Gervais. It was excellent.  I loved the Kate Winslet episode, myself.

Yes, I was going to put the Kate Winslow one too.  It's epic, especially since, being the first episode, you have no idea what's coming.  (Do you know the British series "Coupling"?  It's also hilarious.  The American remake was dreadful.)

Back on topic (!), did anyone else think the champ seemed tired last night.  I was sad she didn't make it further.

• Love 2

36 minutes ago, Brookside said:

did anyone else think the champ seemed tired last night.  I was sad she didn't make it further.

I thought she seemed tired too.

Lots of ts's last night.  I got troth, skoal, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Dutch door, and South Africa - in that category the contestants couldn't remember that there had to be a direction in the answer - and the missed DD of barrel.

For FJ  Prince Philip crossed my mind but I went with Prince Charles. I had expected the question to be about Richard III so I was kind of tossed off by it being about the Romanovs.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

(Oh, and Alex?  Mexico is part of North American, not Central America.)

I noticed this too... and I think Alex said something like, "... Mexico and the rest of Central America" which implied that Mexico was in fact part of Central America. I wish I had perfect memory recall for things like this.

It reminded me of grade school geography. In my mind, I can still see the maps of N. America (Canada and USA), S. America, and stuck in the middle: Central America (which I think included Mexico). Alex probably had similar schooling even though he is MUCH older than I am. LOL. I distinctly remember wondering why Central America wasn't its own continent, and drilled it into my head that apparently everything north of S. Am. is considered North America, including the Caribbean islands.

There was another geography clue this week that bothered me. If I'd been the person answering, "What is Newfoundland?" when Alex wanted Labrador, I'd have made a fuss since Labrador is part of Nfld. (All Canadians would have answered Labrador; that's beside the point.)

Those poor Newfoundlanders are digging their way out of a massive blizzard as I write this!

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Bliss said:

There was another geography clue this week that bothered me. If I'd been the person answering, "What is Newfoundland?" when Alex wanted Labrador, I'd have made a fuss since Labrador is part of Nfld. (All Canadians would have answered Labrador; that's beside the point.)

Those poor Newfoundlanders are digging their way out of a massive blizzard as I write this!

No, the province is called "Newfoundland and Labrador" - Labrador being the mainland part and Newfoundland the island part.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, secnarf said:

No, the province is called "Newfoundland and Labrador" - Labrador being the mainland part and Newfoundland the island part.

Yes, I know the province is called Nfld and Lab. That is why the abbreviation is NL.

However, if you asked a gazillion Cdns what the 10 provinces are, I bet the majority would simply say, "BC, Alberta.... Nfld". Maybe it's my laziness speaking!

My point was that it was a perfect BMS (be more specific) - to give her an opportunity to say Labrador. I'm probably too kind.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I wouldn't have gotten it right anyway, but I had a boneheaded moment during FJ.  I knew that Alexandra was descended from Victoria (her great-granddaughter), but I did not know that Philip was her nephew. 

Heck, I thought they were all related, and I figured any one of the royal family would have sufficed, so it came down to who wanted to do it. I said Prince Charles because I thought he was a science-y guy.

I got troth, Extras, whorl, the barrel, and South Africa.

Saying "Bob Loblaw" cracks me up every time, but I did not like the way Alex said it.

I don't see Dennis lasting long. I'll miss Veronica. Triple V!

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Yes, I know the province is called Nfld and Lab. That is why the abbreviation is NL.

However, if you asked a gazillion Cdns what the 10 provinces are, I bet the majority would simply say, "BC, Alberta.... Nfld". Maybe it's my laziness speaking!

My point was that it was a perfect BMS (be more specific) - to give her an opportunity to say Labrador. I'm probably too kind.

My memory is not the best but I thought the picture showed only Labrador, not Newfoundland.

27 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Heck, I thought they were all related, and I figured any one of the royal family would have sufficed, so it came down to who wanted to do it. I said Prince Charles because I thought he was a science-y guy.

Ditto!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Trey said:

My memory is not the best but I thought the picture showed only Labrador, not Newfoundland.

Your memory is perfect 😉 It was just Labrador.

I should have known better than to discuss my nit-picky BMS concern. I think I was feeling sorry the person who answered Nfld. So close to being right!

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Trey said:

I believe so, and I know the clue asked for "this mainland region", so I agree with not giving her a BMS prompt.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I got troth, Extras, whorl, the barrel, and South Africa.

Saying "Bob Loblaw" cracks me up every time, but I did not like the way Alex said it.

I don't see Dennis lasting long. I'll miss Veronica. Triple V!

Hope not!!!! Blowhard (Dennis, I mean)

1 hour ago, Bliss said:

I should have known better than to discuss my nit-picky BMS concern.

Nonsense. All viewpoints are welcome for discussion as far as I'm concerned. The N/L controversy caused me to look up a map of Canada and give it some study. (I am always switching Alberta and Saskatchewan.) I also checked out that Devon island, although it wasn't marked on the map I had.

ETA: Does anyone know why the official name is Newfoundland AND Labrador? Why they don't stand alone? Very odd IMO.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I know next to nothing about the royal family, but I guessed Prince Philip because he would be the oldest member who is not a blood relative of the Queen (except perhaps distantly); so he seemed the logical choice.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don’t watch that show, but I assumed it was pronounced LOB-law, like the old hardware store chain.

Oh, & good thing they came back & allowed plum pudding! I knew they were going for “figgy” based on the song lyrics, but plum was perfectly correct for he clue.

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

50 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I don’t watch that show, but I assumed it was pronounced LOB-law, like the old hardware store chain.

I think the joke on Arrested Development is that the name sounds like bahblahblah but it seemed like Alex leaned a little too heavily into it.  I guess I can give him that though.

12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I think the joke on Arrested Development is that the name sounds like bahblahblah but it seemed like Alex leaned a little too heavily into it. 

Yes, it's "bahblahblah," but Alex said it like, "bababa," I believe. Anyway, it's such a hilarious name. Also, it makes me think of the movie referenced on 30 Rock, "The Rural Juror."

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

I know next to nothing about the royal family, but I guessed Prince Philip because he would be the oldest member who is not a blood relative of the Queen (except perhaps distantly); so he seemed the logical choice.

They're second cousins once removed both being descendants of Christians IX of Denmark (Elizabeth being descended from his granddaughter Maud who was married to her grandfather George V), and they are also third cousins both being descended from Queen Victoria.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Whenever I hear Loblaw, I hear William Shatner saying "But by gosh, the price is right!" It added a dimension to Arrested Development. For Bob Loblaw fans, one of the people featured in the podcast Surviving Y2K is called Bob Loblaw. In the wrap up/addendum he talks about how odd it is because no one calls him that in real life so it was probably used in Y2K because of Arrested Development.

ETA: If you're old enough to remember the Y2K hysteria, the podcast is worth a listen.

Edited by ABay
3 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

So old, that he was born  3 years too late to have been alive at the same time. That kind of boggles my mind.

• Love 1

Whoops! Posted that map before adding my comment... for you, Saber5055 - thought you could use it to bone up on all the provinces. Even if they labeled NL as if it's one entity (the way I learned it in school, many, many, many moons ago).

By the way, you're not the only one out in the cold today. My car wouldn't start. Had to call CAA. Had to cart wood in through an effing blizzard, etc. Pardon my language. All snugly and warm by the fire now 🙂

• Love 4

Great map, @Bliss, thanks. I didn't know Nunavut existed until it was on Jeopardy one time, it was separated from the NW Territories long after I got out of high school AND college. Guess it didn't make the local newspaper either. Heh. I always wanted to go to the Yukon and Whitehorse, Maybe some day.

Sympathies on your car. And blizzard. Our high tomorrow will be minus single digits with high winds. Wind today got up to 60 mph, not a good fit for my old farm house. Color me jealous of your cozy fire. Stay toasty, eh!

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I remember the southern, non-maritime provinces, west-to-east as BASMOQ.  I wish it would make an actual word, but that's the best I can do. Alberta, THEN Saskatchewan.

Ha ha... here's my way of memorizing the US states:

DFGHLPRU...2xKSTV...3xCO...4xAIW...8xMN

(my Jetpunk quizzes made me do it)

Speaking of geographic memory helpers ... for the Great Lakes, some people use HOMES.  But if you say "Super Man Helps Every One," you get them in order from west to east.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I remember the southern, non-maritime provinces, west-to-east as BASMOQ. 

Remembering BASMOQ is more difficult than remembering Alberta is west of Saskatchewan. Although after today and all my Canada map lookin', I think I'm cured.

I have no problem with remembering the Great Lakes, having dipped my toes in almost all of them at one time or another. Being there helps with geography!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

ETA: Does anyone know why the official name is Newfoundland AND Labrador? Why they don't stand alone? Very odd IMO.

Newfoundland became the 10th province in 1949.  The name was officially changed to Newfoundland and Labrador in 2001. A lot of people don't realize that Labrador is part of Newfoundland, and the general consensus is that name change was to remind everyone (especially those pesky Quebecois) of that fact.

Labrador has been part of Newfoundland since 1809, but there was always some dispute about the inland borders with Quebec.  That was apparently solved in 1927, but Quebec claims they never formally agreed to the boundaries.  If they ever achieve sovereignty it may pose a problem. Given the richness of its natural resources, Quebec would love to have it.  The possibility that if enough Quebecois moved over eventually they could become the majority and force a referendum to join Quebec was a source of concern to Newfoundland and the name change is a polite Canadian reminder that Newfoundland will not give it up.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Sorry to see Veronica go.  I was hoping she would get 5 wins and get to the TOC.  

Dennis had an impressive comeback.  

I have often wondered if Alex has a hand in the fact that clues (and whole categories) about Canada are fairly common on Jeopardy. No complaints from me- I always get them right!

• Love 4

Thanks @3 is enough for the info. I've spent the morning reading about Canada's history. It's curious that American students aren't taught, basically, anything about Canada, it's just "there" to the north, and "of no interest." At least that's how it was when I was in school. Maybe geography/world history classes cover it now.

That also might be why Canada Jeopardy! clues are becoming more popular. Not only to honor AT but because they can be TSs! I need to go back and reread that Labrador/Newfoundland clue, now that I can understand it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Newfoundland became the 10th province in 1949.  The name was officially changed to Newfoundland and Labrador in 2001. A lot of people don't realize that Labrador is part of Newfoundland, and the general consensus is that name change was to remind everyone (especially those pesky Quebecois) of that fact.

Labrador has been part of Newfoundland since 1809, but there was always some dispute about the inland borders with Quebec.  That was apparently solved in 1927, but Quebec claims they never formally agreed to the boundaries.  If they ever achieve sovereignty it may pose a problem. Given the richness of its natural resources, Quebec would love to have it.  The possibility that if enough Quebecois moved over eventually they could become the majority and force a referendum to join Quebec was a source of concern to Newfoundland and the name change is a polite Canadian reminder that Newfoundland will not give it up.  

Great explanation, @3 is enough!

One of my daughters lives in QC, so for purely selfish reasons I hope Canada stays unified. (Another daughter lives in Alberta... so I'm hoping the Wexit threats never come to reality either.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks @3 is enough for the info. I've spent the morning reading about Canada's history. It's curious that American students aren't taught, basically, anything about Canada, it's just "there" to the north, and "of no interest." At least that's how it was when I was in school. Maybe geography/world history classes cover it now.

That also might be why Canada Jeopardy! clues are becoming more popular. Not only to honor AT but because they can be TSs! I need to go back and reread that Labrador/Newfoundland clue, now that I can understand it.

So happy to hear you're becoming Canada-smart! LOL

I've always wondered why Canadians are taught US geography/history in grade school (we used to be and I'm assuming it is still part of the curriculum) and yet the US doesn't do the same. Afterall, we are your penthouse suite AND we send you all those great hockey players.

I was probably half asleep when the Labrador clue was being read. I only remember seeing the photo of Labrador, shouting "Labrador" before Alex was finished (we have no buzzer rules here) and then feeling sorry for the woman who said Nfld. As I explained earlier, what I learned in school was that Labrador was part of Nfld. @3 IS ENOUGH gave a great explanation of the name change.

• Love 4
Just now, Bliss said:

So happy to hear you're becoming Canada-smart! LOL

I've always wondered why Canadians are taught US geography/history in grade school (we used to be and I'm assuming it is still part of the curriculum) and yet the US doesn't do the same. Afterall, we are your penthouse suite AND we send you all those great hockey players.

I was probably half asleep when the Labrador clue was being read. I only remember seeing the photo of Labrador, shouting "Labrador" before Alex was finished (we have no buzzer rules here) and then feeling sorry for the woman who said Nfld. As I explained earlier, what I learned in school was that Labrador was part of Nfld. @3 IS ENOUGH gave a great explanation of the name change.

Heck we are lucky if Americans kids know US geography, let alone a foreign country or countries. 

Not sure why we don't learn more world geography in US school.  I never did, outside the US and some of Europe, and even that was limited.  And half the countries in Europe have all changed since I was a kid. 

16 hours ago, Bliss said:

Ha ha... here's my way of memorizing the US states:

DFGHLPRU...2xKSTV...3xCO...4xAIW...8xMN

(my Jetpunk quizzes made me do it)

Know idea what that means but I learned the US States from the song Fifty Nifty United States back in grade school.  Still remember it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Heck we are lucky if Americans kids know US geography, let alone a foreign country or countries. 

Not sure why we don't learn more world geography in US school.  I never did, outside the US and some of Europe, and even that was limited.  And half the countries in Europe have all changed since I was a kid. 

Know idea what that means but I learned the US States from the song Fifty Nifty United States back in grade school.  Still remember it. 

There are times when I'm surprised how much J! contestants know about Canada's geography or politics (e.g., Ken Jennings recognizing Lester Pearson was the most recent example as the photo was from way-back-when) and other times I'm shocked when there's a TS for a USA clue that seems so obvious to me (e.g., Adam Schiff... and yes, I know that show was taped prior to the impeachment proceedings... but still!!! I mean, how can anyone not recognize those eyes?!).

I agree about the Europe - and Asia! It seemed to take me forever to learn whatever happened to Yugoslavia... and even longer to learn the spelling of all the "-stans" when USSR became Russia.

My acronym for the states - DFGHLPRU...2xKSTV...3xCO...4xAIW...8xMN - is simply the first letter of each state... starting with Delaware and ending with 8 "N" states.

• Love 1

Back in the dark ages when I was in high school, the college-track kids took World History, and the non-college track kids took World Geography.  World History centered on European History, of course, while World Geography really was the whole world.  I'm not a history fan, so I bucked the system and took World Geography.  And then the USSR broke up, and all the UK-centric names of countries in Africa rightly changed, and I know nothing of Geography any more.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

It's curious that American students aren't taught, basically, anything about Canada, it's just "there" to the north, and "of no interest."

I was brought up in NYC and thought Canada was a suburb of New York :-)

Flash forward: I met a fellow author through an on-line writers org. We collaborated on a book, fell in love, and he asked me to marry him. I said I should meet him first.

Born in Canada, he lived in Tasmania. I, by now a Coloradan, spent a month in Oz. We sold our houses, Mr. Author bought a house on Vancouver Island, and the day he closed on the house was the very first time I stepped foot in Canada.

We got married at a writers conference (in Vancouver) 27 days later, and recently celebrated our 19th anniversary.

• Love 15

I was also never taught anything about Canada in school. But I'd guess we Detroiters, by virtue of our proximity as well as our hockey mania (thanks for all those players, by the way!), probably tend to know more about Canada than most people.

Before the latest border regulations, it was nothing to hop across the river for lunch or to go shopping. A lot of us still make the short drive to Toronto for an enjoyable weekend.

• Love 6

I went to a lot of different schools (military brat) but the only things I can remember learning about Canada were the Mounties, and that westward expansion was duller than ours (from the perspective as a child, mind you, no disrespect for our Canadian neighbors.)

I'm still really bad at any clues about Canada- except for those on Nunevit (which my brain has grasped enthusiastically for some reason) and possibly Quebec.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, NoReally said:

I was also never taught anything about Canada in school. But I'd guess we Detroiters, by virtue of our proximity as well as our hockey mania (thanks for all those players, by the way!), probably tend to know more about Canada than most people.

Before the latest border regulations, it was nothing to hop across the river for lunch or to go shopping. A lot of us still make the short drive to Toronto for an enjoyable weekend.

It still annoys the hell out of me that I have to show ID crossing at the Falls because I remember so well what it was like pre-2001.

Growing up on the border, I got a little bit of Canadian history in school, mostly things about the French & Indian War and War of 1812 because battles were fought in the area. But I learned a lot more on my own as an offshoot of deep hockey-mania in my teens.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, NoReally said:

You're welcome for those hockey players 🙂 and I won't comment on border policies as I'd be banned from ever posting here again.

My claim to hockey fame is that I went to university with some famous ones ('70s) and babysat Chris and Sean Pronger when they were in diapers.

If you ever want to expand your travels and explore Muskoka (an hour north of Toronto), pm me and I'll give you helpful info - I live on a lake just north of Barrie, in what I call my lil piece of heaven here on earth.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I went to a lot of different schools (military brat) but the only things I can remember learning about Canada were the Mounties, and that westward expansion was duller than ours (from the perspective as a child, mind you, no disrespect for our Canadian neighbors.)

I'm still really bad at any clues about Canada- except for those on Nunevit (which my brain has grasped enthusiastically for some reason) and possibly Quebec.

I was always amazed when I traveled to the USA, how rare it was to meet Americans who actually knew Canadian geography (because we had USA geography throughout school and I thought the reverse would be true also). Mind you, a lot of the people I met were blackjack players - a lot of my trips were long weekends to Vegas - so perhaps I wasn't meeting the most school-educated people. I have some wonderful memories playing next to famous people who'd ask me to cut the cards because apparently I was a lucky charm. Oh, the good ol daze.

Someone would say, "I know so-and-so from Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal/etc. Do you know them?" Yeah, right... I know all the many millions who live in those cities! LOL. Funny thing was, every once in a while, we'd discover through the 6 degrees of separation that in fact there was 'someone' we had in common.

I had so much fun with my Canuck jokes; e.g., Q: How did Canada get its name?

A: We put all the letters in a hat and pulled out a C, eh? Then an N, eh? Then a D, eh?

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

Feeling responsible for taking this thread off-track... so back on the rails!

I saw today's FJ and felt an immediate emotional response... mostly about the lack of respect for women in general, especially their intellect, historically. I love men... don't misunderstand what I'm saying here... but they have (in general) really screwed up a lot. MrAtoz comes to mind as one who doesn't fit that niche; however, IN GENERAL, most disasters can be traced back to men. Probably men who are afraid of the power of women.

Perhaps I'm thinking aloud too much?

• Love 3

The Secretary of State part was easy, but I had no idea what the second half was.  I guessed Treasury because I couldn't think of what the fourth position was, and call me sexist but I didn't think there would be a female Secretary of War.

I got the TSs of Ash Wednesday, Victor Hugo and Alan Alda (talk about overcomplicating that one).

• Love 1

Damn!  I was really rooting for Traci.  Not a fan of Dennis.  But I'm off to a great start for FJ this week -- I got half of it right (Secretary of State).  Part of my problem was that I had no idea which four cabinet positions George Washington had.

I did get almost all the TS, though, including Claire Foy, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, groundhog, Ash Wednesday, folies bergere (though I never would have been able to spell it), Alan Alda, and Univac.  I was sad and surprised that Alan Alda was a TS.

• Love 3

Was Matthew the guy in the middle?  I liked him and hoped he'd win.  So Dennis the Menace is back with us again tomorrow.  Just when you think he's done for...he climbs out of the pit and starts moving on up until he wins.  I too could only think of Sec of State.  I knew there were few cabinet positions in GW's day but never thought of Atty Gen.  It's funny...this afternoon I was thinking of 30 Something (probably because I heard She Drives Me Crazy on the car radio) and remembering that there was so much written about it being a show filled with whiners.  When I finally decided to watch it, I thought, "They're not whining. They're discussing their lives". 😊

• Love 3