Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I may have to rethink my stance, allow my humiliation to be shown and start posting on there. 

Too late to join this season, we are on Week 18. But if everyone wants to continue, we will have a Season 37 contest. Prizes are awarded in several categories, the highest score is only one. There will be several other winners who will receive one of the swell prizes. That could be you!

Edited by saber5055
18, not 15!
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

Too late to join this season, we are on Week 15. But if everyone wants to continue, we will have a Season 37 contest. Prizes are awarded in several categories, the highest score is only one. There will be several other winners who will receive one of the swell prizes. That could be you!

Ok. Next year it is. Heck, I’ll even donate a prize to anyone who can catch the most mistakes made by the judges lol. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I learned during James’ first run that I have to either watch Jeopardy the day of broadcast or resign myself to the possibility of spoilage. One of my work tasks is to look for news stories for my company’s products to cover, including the Chicago Tribune’s site, and they love tracking his progress in articles posted at the top of the page. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

they love tracking his progress in articles posted at the top of the page. 

And WGN Chicago radio loves to talk about it on early morning shows. I was spoiled the day James' streak came to an end by having the radio on at freaking 6 a.m. when the show wasn't going to air for at least 10 more hours. Because he's originally from Naperville, Chicago media considers him a Home Town Boy.

7 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I'd like to ask everyone here, please don't mention anything about the GOAT Tournament in the daily show thread. It's hard enough to fit in viewing the half-hour show every night (am working when it's on and have to DVR it), there's no way I could watch another whole hour. So I plan to slam through the entire week's GOAT shows this weekend. Looking forward to it!

I didn't find Shaun as annoying as many of you did, but I'm still glad he didn't win!

Good luck avoiding any spoilers!  It’s hard to avoid on pretty much any kind of news site! (After the fact, I mean. I haven’t run across any spoilers for future games, knock on wood.)

Edited by SoMuchTV
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Feel free to point your Finger of Shame at me since the only Dreyfus I know is Richard. However, I do know several lines and plots from The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Jula Louis-Dreyfus is from the same branch of the family as Alfred, although not a direct descendant. Richard Dreffuss may or may not be related, that's never been determined. Then there's Julie Dreyfus (who I never heard of before today) who IS a direct descendant of Alfred.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Jula Louis-Dreyfus is from the same branch of the family as Alfred, although not a direct descendant. Richard Dreffuss may or may not be related, that's never been determined. Then

I forgot about Julia Louis-Dreyfus, one of my favorite actors, so thanks for that. However, I don't give a care to whom they are related, unless Richard is Julia's brother in law or some such. Alfred is nowhere on my radar.

I got FJ right after dismissing several different answers.  No, Katy, it's not DNA in the 1890s.  No, it's not eyewitness or circumstantial.  use your head.

I got diesel, Kansas City, Supreme Court and Angela Merkel.  I also got the entire category of organizations right.

Well, I got Merkel right.

I said circumstantial, because I'm an idiot.

10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Had no clue about FJ. Hence why I don’t play the FJ contest. 

Hasn't stopped me from playing. I always hold out hope for winning the booby prize.

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

However, I do know several lines and plots from The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Rosebud?

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I had many adventures being stranded in wintertime around the Midwest in my DIESEL Volkswagen, so I easily got that TS. I also got ESPN (magazine). I know ... woo hoo.

And yes @M. Darcy: Shout out to KIT CARSON! That totally rocked.

I was so irritated at Katie for betting only $3,000 on that DD. She was lucky it worked out for her in the end.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Enjoying all these long Jeopardy nights although my brain is fried when I’m done. Also no wine because I want to stand a chance of doing well. So tonight I got the TSs of ESPN (I have girl crazy grandsons), Merkel and got all the DDs and wow of wows, I got FJ! 

Edited to add: I like the new champ and on a shallow note she is pretty. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 4

Wow, Alex managed not to comment on all three contestants being women. 

This was much better game than last night's -- far fewer TS.  Angela Merkel was the only one that surprised me, although I thought someone would at least guess Supreme Court.  The missed DD of Kansas City was something else I didn't see coming.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Well he did say “ladies” at least a couple of times but I’m trying to tell myself he would have said “gentlemen” if the genders were reversed. 

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well he did say “ladies” at least a couple of times but I’m trying to tell myself he would have said “gentlemen” if the genders were reversed. 

Yeah, he has said "gentlemen" or "you/these guys" rather than "contestants" or the like when addressing or talking about one of the many all-male panels as a group, although perhaps not with the same frequency, so I was just content that he didn't point it out like he used to. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Driad said:

For FJ it helped to be a bit of a Sherlock Holmes geek.  SH mentioned "finger marks" a few times in the stories set in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Me, too! Also the book The Alienist, set in 1896, with two detectives who embrace newfangled notions such as fingerprint evidence.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Driad said:

[rushing to library site] Thank you!

The miniseries isn’t bad, but I think the book is one of the best mysteries written in the past 30 years. The author, Caleb Carr, is an historian who knows how to set the scene in 1896 New York City in all of its excess and squalor. I really wanted to go back in time and eat dinner at Delmonico’s after reading it!

• Love 6

I think the book is one of the best mysteries written in the past 30 years.

And it became a bestseller through word-of-mouth, not reviews, etc.

However, Carr was a one and done. His second book. . .how to put this politely. . . sucked.

Fingerprints, not DNA, is the reason I prefer to write history-mysteries.

• Love 7

As per Dreyfuss, there was also Dreyfuss the dog on Empty Nest. Always wondered how he got that name.

Still unspoiled for the GOAT Tournament, which amazes me. Usually by this time I'll have seen something online by mistake, but nothing yet. Hope that continues!

Yaay, Kit Carson!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

This was much better game than last night's -- far fewer TS.  Angela Merkel was the only one that surprised me, although I thought someone would at least guess Supreme Court.  The missed DD of Kansas City was something else I didn't see coming.

I was pretty surprised that no one guessed Merkel. I don't know anything about her life, but the clue screamed "Angela!" to me.

I really liked Katie's story. I don't remember when I last laughed a lot at one of the stories.

I also laughed out loud when Alex mentioned Kit Carson after the Carson City clue. I didn't tell my husband why. We all need  a little mystery in our lives.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Merkel was an instaget for me. I’ve had a bit of an interest in her ever since I got a big thumbs up from a young German couple back in 2012 for knowing how to pronounce her name properly. We were in Orkney at the B&B’s breakfast table chatting and after the usual talk about the presidential race, I started discussing Merkel’s policy re: the Greek loans and the EU. Their mouths were hanging open that a Yank had been following the topic that closely, but I’m a newshound. My mom had asked me before we went to Britain not to get into politics when chatting with other tourists, but they always started the conversation, not me!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

My mom had asked me before we went to Britain not to get into politics when chatting with other tourists, but they always started the conversation, not me!

Oh, that would be part of the fun for me, as long as the "other tourists" were not Americans.

• Love 4

I got the entire history category right and I got the TSs of Flux, paycheck (assuming that's what Alex said, it kind of sounded like big check), 99, William Jennings Bryan and Knights of Labor (total guess).  

I didn't get FJ.  I said Afghanistan, I don't know why.  

25 minutes ago, opus said:

I always thought it was fogey, not fogy (i.e. 5 letters, not 4)

I said "fudd" because all I could think of was fuddy duddy.  LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Well, that was a perfect week... of missing FJ!  I completely forgot about the Shah, and said Pakistan.  

Some of those $2000 clues were hard!  Especially the ones in Instruments and Toys.  I did manage to get flux, paycheck, Agent 99, The Martian, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Nighttime.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, opus said:

It can be spelled either way (I think fogy is the original spelling, and fogey [to which this site's spellcheck objects] an accepted variation, but haven't checked to confirm).

I'm not going to be home tonight, so I just read the clues on the archive.  Since that means I can't see any of the pictures, I didn't get glockenspiel.  (I'm a little surprised that one was a TS since they had a picture to look at.)  I didn't get guiro, either, but I don't think a picture would have helped me any more than it did them.

I can't believe paycheck was a TS.  What else was the punchline going to be?

Flux was a very surprising TS, too. 

Fogy surprised me at first, but then I thought about how you almost always hear it as "old fogy" rather than just "fogy" and changed my mind.  And maybe some of them spell it with five letters, like @opus.  

I knew Agent 99 was going to stump them.  Sometimes I have a strange certainty a clue is going to be a TS, and this was one of them.  (I got it, although I never knew until now whether the character was a man or woman, because I never watched Get Smart -- it's just one of those random things I picked up via cultural osmosis.)

FJ was an instaget, so I can go out on a high note since there's no GOAT game tonight (I don't do anywhere near as well in those as I do regular games).

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But there wasn't a picture of the glockenspiel.

Oh, it must have been an audio clip then.  That would definitely make it harder to identify than if there was a picture.

• Love 1

I really hate when the answer to FJ is revealed, and it's something I should have known. Makes me feel extra stupid. heh

I did get flux, fogy, penalty minutes, and The Martian

16 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And I said chimes, out of respect to @teebax.

As did I!

Edited by lb60
  • Love 3

I got Flux, Austria, penalty minutes, Agent 99, Knights of Labor, The Martian, but guessed Cambodia for FJ. 

Neat bit of trivia: the Chicago Fire Department’s Fire Academy is at 558 W. De Koven Street, the site of the O’Leary house/barn.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, opus said:

This was another poor clue/answer because it can be spelled both ways. As I've posted before, how do these cr*p clues get into play when there are so many sets of eyes (and brains I assume) checking them.

While I got the TS of flux, Katie got a GFY, which is increasing rare and valuable these days.

I also got Agent 99 and The Martian. I love me some Matt Damon.

I had a kendama when I was a kid, but we called it a ball-and-cup, which is how I answered that clue. Never heard it called anything else. I was quite good with it.

What was up with three crew members clustered around Alek in that shot before break?

Speaking of Alek Van Houghton, when he was introduced all I could wonder was if he were related to Milhouse Van Houten.

19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I said guira instead of guiro.

Yours was obviously female.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

...and The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Nighttime.

I didn’t dare guess at that one. “The curious case of the dog at night”? “The curious incident of the dog at nighttime”?  And I’m pretty sure it’s sitting a few feet away on a shelf. 

• Love 2