Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Damn!  I was really rooting for Traci.  Not a fan of Dennis.  

Twinsies! ;-)  I was really disappointed she didn't win.

I also got the Secretary of State part of FJ. My only other thought was Secretary of Education, but I was pretty sure George didn't have one of those. lol

I did get Claire Foy, Zen and the Art..., Folies Bergere, Alan Alda, and screenplays.

• Love 5

FJ was close to an instaget, with so few to choose from and then think whether the position existed back in Washington's administration - and I agree, @Bliss, seeing those figures is a punch to the emotions.

I was like Traci - rocking the Best Actress category, and then coming to a "Claire F-something" halt when they switched from older shows to The Crown.  But I got all the other TS in the first round - yep, even Ash Wednesday.  I was surprised, with "mid-week" in the clue, no one got that one. 

Groundhog was a tentative guess, just based on knowing the timing of bears coming out of hibernation is also used to predict spring weather, so I was excited to be right.  I also got a good chuckle out of Traci's Easter Bunny answer.

In DJ, the Victor Hugo and Folies Bergére TS surprised me a bit.  The Alan Alda TS surprised me full stop.  I got Univac and scripts, too, but the contestants still did better than me overall in that round; there were several I just didn't know, and several more I couldn't spit out.  It was frustrating.  I loved the Hidden Gems category, though.

I want to go to that library in Rio de Janeiro!

• Love 2

That TS about MASH was easy. Alan Alda really changed that show once he began directing (and getting involved in story lines). It went from hilarious to maudlin, IMO. Ash Wednesday's big clue was that it was a mid-week happening (and what else happens mid week anyway?)  I did not get any of the hidden gems ;>(

• Love 2
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Alan Alda really changed that show once he began directing (and getting involved in story lines). It went from hilarious to maudlin

So true! I came to hate that show because of that.

But I did get the ts of Alan Alda, plus Folies Bergere, but just those two.

I was so dismayed when I saw the FJ category.  But I did manage to pull it out somehow which surprised me no end.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, ABay said:

It still annoys the hell out of me that I have to show ID crossing at the Falls because I remember so well what it was like pre-2001.

The terrorists have won.

Although, on my Road Trip to Maine this past summer, I went into New Brunswick twice with my passport card and didn't find it especially odious. Both sides certainly are concerned with pot, liquor, and cigarettes, though. The only part that really annoyed me was when the American dude asked me if I liked "Werewolves Of London" *that* much.  (My license plate is "Zevon") as if Warren Zevon never wrote any other of the 146 songs in his catalog. I suppose I should be grateful he even knew WZ/WOL.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I didn't know Alda was in the Second City troupe, so I was trying to think who else on M*A*S*H was in Second City.  On the other hand, Catherine O'Hara was an instaget for me.  

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I loved the Hidden Gems category, though.

The show would have to be twice as long to give me enough time to suss them out!  

Like others, I knew Secretary of State, but thought of Treasury and couldn't get past that to figure out Attorney General.  And Edmund Randall was a member of the famous Randall family from Williamsburg!

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I didn't know Alda was in the Second City troupe, so I was trying to think who else on M*A*S*H was in Second City.  On the other hand, Catherine O'Hara was an instaget for me.  

I didn't know either, it was really the directing thing that ensured it was AA for me.

• Love 1

As did others, I got Clare Foy, Follies Bergere, Alan Alda and scripts.

Got a laugh out of the answer of Ontario, a Canada shout out, after my weekend study of Canadian provinces and territories.

I could have until the end of time and I wouldn't be able to get any of those Hidden Gems. I'd fall asleep before even figuring out the first one. And those players got them all easily. Go figure.

I love it when there is a TS and Trebek gives the answer as "The FAMOUS Univax." No, Alex, if Univax were THAT famous, it wouldn't be a TS there. And here, too, it seems.

For FJ I instantly said Secretary of State, then said whatever Condoleesa Rice was. Turns out she was Secretary of State too. Eh.

When I crossed into Canada at Niagra, it was before 2001 so no ids needed. But the guard made sure he felt me up as he reached though my car window to the bag in the passenger seat, to see what was in it.

• Love 1

I, too, was hoping Janelle Mona´e would beat out young Don Rickles - but it was not to be.😯

At least Dennis gave his first category choice of NIAGARA FALLS!!! the correct, stoogian emphasis.

Edited by Gimmick Genius
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 1/19/2020 at 2:01 PM, Bliss said:

So happy to hear you're becoming Canada-smart! LOL

If we get Canada smart, will they let us live there for more than 6 months at a time 🙂

4 hours ago, Trey said:
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Alan Alda really changed that show once he began directing (and getting involved in story lines). It went from hilarious to maudlin

I refer to those episodes as the "Saint Hawkeye" ones

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

No Jeopardy in Chicagoland today. Stupid impeachment. 
(Stupid only for interrupting Jeopardy...not for its purpose)

Edited by helpmerhonda
Realized I didn't want people to think that I thought the impeachment itself was stupid
  • Love 3

Really, Steve?  Gone With the Wind?  Really?

FJ seemed fairly obvious, which is why I got it right. Even though it was before my time. ;-)

I also got hermaphrodite, echidna, John Wilkes Booth, The Orville, dissidents, and agitation/propaganda.

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I love it when there is a TS and Trebek gives the answer as "The FAMOUS Univax." No, Alex, if Univax were THAT famous, it wouldn't be a TS there. And here, too, it seems.

My response when he does that is, "Apparently not that famous, Alex!" Or when he says, "You know it as...." Nope, then they would have answered.

6 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

At least Dennis gave his first category choice of NIAGARA FALLS!!! the correct, stoogian emphasis.

Slowly I turned......

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Boy howdy, this group made me feel smart. I lost track of all the TSs I got.

I can't believe Dennis has won 3 games. His DD answer of Lincoln made no sense, when the clue had the word assassin in it. 

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was the only classic film I could remember that had to do with federal politics.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 6

It seems when we get a bartender contestant like Dennis or Austin, we either love them or hate them. I was slightly annoyed by him tonight for no particular reason. 

Had a fair night. I got hermaphrodite, John Wilkes Booth (can’t bel that was such an easy DD that he didn’t get it), dissidents, utter, agitation and propaganda, and the FJ of Mr Smith Goes to Washington. Frankly that FJ was a guess, but correct nonetheless. I really thought for awhile that Samantha was going to win the game, but she seemed to have lost steam. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, lb60 said:

The only two movies from 1939 I could come up with were that and The Wizard of Oz. But I don’t know I would have had the nerve to write down one of those when it was obviously wrong. This might have been a ”we love you Alex“ for me. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Aww...well, I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't do so hot tonight--esp after reading that you all did so well. For FJ, I wrote "Mr Somebody Goes To Washington". I could *not* remember his name (altho' I know Jimmy Stewart was the main character). Never saw this movie. Hope that gives me a major excuse 😎

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, lb60 said:

This is another example of is it better to take a wild guess and maybe be correct, or write down an answer that turns out to be wrong and be ridiculed online. Samantha thought her answer was wrong, but gee whiz, it was correct. I'm taking the wild stab if I'm ever on this show.

I have no problem with Dennis, and congratulations on being a three-day champ. He's been walking a lucky tightrope for FJ though. That has to goof your thinking.

Which might be why he replied Lincoln for Booth. He heard penny and forgot assassin. I don't blame him, he's been playing Jeopardy for 1-1/2 hours straight while we get nights off to sleep in between shows.

@Good Queen Jane got a shout out with the ice-skating clue, and AT's announcement that the championships are going on this week. Hope you are having fun, Your Majesty.

I said echidna as soon as I saw the pic. I also got J.W. Booth, The Orville (it's been a clue/answer a couple times before), dissidents, utter/mutter and umber. To even it out, I thought the lemur was a flying fox. Eh.

Shout out to @Mystery Author with the Sue Grafton clue.

AT's new interview words are, "Okay, good." I miss the GFYs. I blame Alex Jacob.

Finally, a FJ category that's up my alley and parked in my garage. I got it instantly, even though it's one film I've never seen. I award myself a big, fat GFM.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Which might be why he replied Lincoln for Booth. He heard penny and forgot assassin. I don't blame him, he's been playing Jeopardy for 1-1/2 hours straight while we get nights off to sleep in between shows.

My answer was “you know! The guy who assassinated Lincoln!”  Even though under any other circumstances I would have had no trouble coming up with John Wilkes Booth. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

The only two movies from 1939 I could come up with were that and The Wizard of Oz. But I don’t know I would have had the nerve to write down one of those when it was obviously wrong. This might have been a ”we love you Alex“ for me. 

This was me as well. I had never heard of the movie that was the FJ answer today, so I had no hope of ever getting it. Jeopardy has, however, burned into my brain that 1939 = Gone With The Wind, so that was the first thing I thought of. Of course, I immediately ruled it out as wrong, and then was wondering if The Wizard of Oz was also 1939...then decided it didn't matter as it also didn't fit the rest of the clue.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, secnarf said:

This was me as well. I had never heard of the movie that was the FJ answer today, so I had no hope of ever getting it. Jeopardy has, however, burned into my brain that 1939 = Gone With The Wind, so that was the first thing I thought of. Of course, I immediately ruled it out as wrong, and then was wondering if The Wizard of Oz was also 1939...then decided it didn't matter as it also didn't fit the rest of the clue.

I have definitely heard of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, maybe even saw it at some point, but it wasn’t connected in my memory to 1939 like the other two are. 

• Love 1

I didn't come home until the game was almost over and haven't yet checked the archive, but I doubt anything will surprise me a much as that Gone With the Wind guess in FJ.  I was pretty blown away by none of them knowing what the CBO is, and then that happened.

I changed my mind; Dennis doesn't look so much like a young Don Rickles as a young Michael Chiklis back in his "Commish" days when he was still doing the combover thing.

Mr. Smith had a remake in the '70s; "Billy Jack Goes to Washington" with Tom Laughlin as the kung fu kicking, halfbreed Viet Nam vet!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

I had to google The Three Stooges+Niagara Falls to see what you were talking about. I wondered why Dennis said that so strangely.

I didn't pay close attention tonight. The only TS I got was dissident.

FJ came quickly to me. I used to have a book about several movies from 1939, a big year for great movies.

• Love 1

Neither board was cleared. I'm so frustrated by the slo-o-o-w play!  Take lessons from James, pokey people. Don't say, "Ummm ... let's do 'Greatest Twitter comebacks of all time' for twelve hundred dollars, Alex." Just say, "Twits twelve."

James may have seemed abrupt, but the guy could play with two snails and still clear a board.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Loved the ice skating clue! Nationals starts tomorrow (won't be on TV until Thursday...NBCSN). The axel (named after a Norwegian skater) is the only jump in which the skater is going forward. The great Dick Button taught me that😉

I have been watching figure skating for decades and every single jump looks exactly alike to me. I can tell how many revolutions they do but couldn't distinguish a lutz, an axel, a toe loop or a flip if you held a gun to my head, I will try to remember if they are skating forward it's an axel.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I have been watching figure skating for decades and every single jump looks exactly alike to me. I can tell how many revolutions they do but couldn't distinguish a lutz, an axel, a toe loop or a flip if you held a gun to my head, I will try to remember if they are skating forward it's an axel.

When a skater is going to do a lutz, his/her left (?) leg kicks waaaay back and then crashes down onto the ice to power the skater into the air. So, these are the only jumps I recognize--axel & lutz ☺

• Love 3
12 hours ago, lb60 said:

FJ seemed fairly obvious, which is why I got it right. Even though it was before my time. 😉

I also got hermaphrodite, echidna, John Wilkes Booth, The Orville, dissidents, and agitation/propaganda.

My response when he does that is, "Apparently not that famous, Alex!" Or when he says, "You know it as...." Nope, then they would have answered.

Slowly I turned......

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This is another example of is it better to take a wild guess and maybe be correct, or write down an answer that turns out to be wrong and be ridiculed online. Samantha thought her answer was wrong, but gee whiz, it was correct. I'm taking the wild stab if I'm ever on this show.

I have no problem with Dennis, and congratulations on being a three-day champ. He's been walking a lucky tightrope for FJ though. That has to goof your thinking.

@Good Queen Jane got a shout out with the ice-skating clue, and AT's announcement that the championships are going on this week. Hope you are having fun, Your Majesty.

I said echidna as soon as I saw the pic. I also got J.W. Booth, The Orville (it's been a clue/answer a couple times before), dissidents, utter/mutter and umber. To even it out, I thought the lemur was a flying fox. Eh.

Shout out to @Mystery Author with the Sue Grafton clue.

AT's new interview words are, "Okay, good." I miss the GFYs. I blame Alex Jacob.

Finally, a FJ category that's up my alley and parked in my garage. I got it instantly, even though it's one film I've never seen. I award myself a big, fat GFM.

I thought of @Good Queen Jane too. 🙂 It always makes me sad that Sue Grafton wasn't able to finish her series.

I got so many clues - I almost got echidna, that is I recognized it, but mangled the name so badly I would have been ruled incorrect.

9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Loved the ice skating clue! Nationals starts tomorrow (won't be on TV until Thursday...NBCSN). The axel (named after a Norwegian skater) is the only jump in which the skater is going forward. The great Dick Button taught me that😉

I only know two moves, so I got it.

I thought I'd only missed one Jeopardy (antenna went out), but I guess I missed two, because I didn't recognize the champ at all.

10 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Neither board was cleared. I'm so frustrated by the slo-o-o-w play!  Take lessons from James, pokey people. Don't say, "Ummm ... let's do 'Greatest Twitter comebacks of all time' for twelve hundred dollars, Alex." Just say, "Twits twelve."

"Twits twelve." 😂

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, NoReally said:

I wonder if bartenders do well on Jeopardy because they hold trivia nights at bars. The staff must hear hundreds of Q&As during their shifts.

I've had the same wonderment.

Also, there's usually tvs on all over, with current events being broadcast, so keeping up with sports, politics and world events is a no-brainer. It probably seeps in by osmosis.

• Love 2
On ‎01‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 2:04 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Not sure why we don't learn more world geography in US school.  I never did, outside the US and some of Europe, and even that was limited.  And half the countries in Europe have all changed since I was a kid. 

When I was in elementary school, many moons ago, we learned about North, Central and South America in Social Studies.  I did projects on Belize and Bolivia, and was one of the few people in the class to put Baja California on my map of Mexico.  In middle school we moved on to Europe.  We had to write to two embassies and request information about their countries; everyone wanted to do France, the UK or Germany, but I chose Norway and Ireland - much cooler countries.  Then we had to make a map-based board game.  It was a lot of fun.

I was glad to see the back of Veronica, and have no particular feelings about Dennis one way or the other.

On ‎01‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 8:02 PM, Browncoat said:

Damn!  I was really rooting for Traci.  Not a fan of Dennis.  But I'm off to a great start for FJ this week -- I got half of it right (Secretary of State).  Part of my problem was that I had no idea which four cabinet positions George Washington had.

I did get almost all the TS, though, including Claire Foy, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, groundhog, Ash Wednesday, folies bergere (though I never would have been able to spell it), Alan Alda, and Univac.  I was sad and surprised that Alan Alda was a TS.

I mis-read the clue and thought they only needed one answer.  I said Attorney General, then changed it to Secretary of State, but didn't put them both together.

I couldn't remember Claire Foy's last name and had no idea about Univac, but I did get the rest.  I was also surprised that no one said Alan Alda.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't come home until the game was almost over and haven't yet checked the archive, but I doubt anything will surprise me a much as that Gone With the Wind guess in FJ.  I was pretty blown away by none of them knowing what the CBO is, and then that happened.

Now that I've had a chance to read the archive, I can add hermaphrodite, agitation and propaganda, dissidents, and showroom to my list of surprising TS.  (I figured someone would get utter, but it doesn't rise to the level of surprise that no one did.)  With showroom, though, I suspect they didn't get that it was a dealership, and were reading Ed Mullinax Ford as a person, thus thinking of spaces in which an individual would store a personal collection of cars.

The only TS that also stumped me were The Orville (I only knew a couple in that category) and echidna (in fairness, I couldn't see the picture, but I'm not sure it would have helped). 

But nemesis was so slow to come to me that if I'd been playing in real time I wouldn't have been able to spit it out, I'd never heard of unboxing videos, and, most embarrassingly, I could not come up with "Little Bo Peep Has Lost Her Sheep"!  And wouldn't have been able to do it in reverse, either -- if they'd given the first line and asked for the next, I wouldn't have known it.  Apparently, the first line is all I know of that nursery rhyme.

I got FJ right.  Whoo-Hoo!  First time in a while I think.

I got the TSs of Bob Dole, cowl, henchman, printing and Le Figaro.

I can't remember what it was now, but I gave the stupidest answer to one clue (seriously) and laughed my head off about it when the correct answer was given.  sometimes being stupid is funny:)  And, I was surprised how horribly I did in the spin-offs category, considering the fact that I've always watched way too much TV.

• Love 1

Well, I guess Lau got to continue on to Hawai'i for her honeymoon.  

FJ was an instaget for me.  I visited there many years ago, and rented a car.  It was a regular American car with the steering wheel on the left, so it was a little odd driving it on the left side of the tiny roads.

I have often said, "Make like a tree and leaf."  

I only got the TS of begone.  

• Love 3
On 1/17/2020 at 6:42 PM, saber5055 said:

I beg to differ.

It's a myth and it has been scientifically shown to be not true. Mass hysteria is probably the reason so many otherwise smart people believe it. Anecdotes are not data.

I had to go to the official J! site to see what John's livlihood was. Someone else in the room heard "soft porn" while I heard "slop floor" something, maybe a euphimism for a janitor I thought. It appears he works in a casino! Ah, now it makes sense. He played well. Hope he puts together a few wins. As for the one with the exclamation point after her name.... meh. Bye bye.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Was it my imagination or did he say "Make like a tree and LEAF"?????

You know, even though leave makes much more sense, the only version I can remember hearing is “leaf”. 

• Love 3

Bye, Dennis. I won't miss you.

Lau, I hope you enjoyed your honeymoon. I won't miss you, either.

<is cranky tonight>

The kids in my class are dropping like flies and contaminating every inch of the classroom before they drop.

I got Bob Dole, The Goldbergs, and FJ. Yay!!

• Love 3

Wow, I stunk up the joint on the spin-offs category.  I had gotten everything right in the first round, was off to a good start with the Earth History clues in DJ, and then they switched to spin-offs and that was the end of my perfect score.  I wasn't very good in the royalty category at first, either, but then I got back in the swing of things and got most of the rest of DJ, and knew FJ, so it was a very good game for me other than that category.

Henchman was the only TS that surprised me tonight.