Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Yes, I think I remember the little desserts.  It'd be like baked apples or something.  

Pretty sure there were baked apples but what I remember are the brownies!! Even a tv dinner meal can't hurt a brownie!!!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

Pretty sure there were baked apples but what I remember are the brownies!! Even a tv dinner meal can't hurt a brownie!!!

I think I might remember brownies, too.  We only had TV dinners a couple of times a year.  When my parents went out on their two annual outings.

• Love 4

Sometimes the spouse and I find a lot of nostalgia watching the contestants too young to remember disco let alone the Kennedy assassination. We yell a lot at the screen. 

TV dinners.....my mother had cancer and when she was in the hospital that’s what we got. They were great to my kid brain. 

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

The apples were my least favorite - I liked the brownies the best. I'm not sure I've ever met a brownie I didn't like (except in Girl Scouts).

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Bliss said:

The exception being those of us born in the 50s. 😉

Well, I've already come out as not being a model of class and taste. So no exception for this 50's baby. 😞

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 5

I went to play with a girl about a mile away and was so jealous. Her Mom served TV dinners on a TV tray in front of their tv. I was in my teens before I ever got to taste one and loved the fried chicken ones. My mother used the excuse that they weren’t nutritious and real food. Interesting how we all seem to have a memory or story about them. 

• Love 8

@Quickbeam, I’m so sorry to hear about your mother’s illness. TV dinners must be happy and sad memories for you.

The original dinners we made were turkey and gravy, stuffing, peas and mashed sweet potatoes. I remember the turkey and gravy coming with mashed potatoes and corn. They were a special treat, one dinner cost 98 cents, a big expense when one could get a McDonald’s burger and fries for a quarter. But what a treat they were. We would set up the tv trays in the living room (everyone had a set of those) to watch Ed Sullivan or Bonanza while we ate our meal. Those were good days.

When we added desert to the tray in 1960, I was skeptical at best. How on earth could THAT work. I remember apple cobbler being in the center of the back row, and it passed muster. In fact, all the frozen dinners passed muster back then, they were actually good, real food, not the small, overly processed stuff found in today’s frozen dinners.

And yes that our tv dinner fried chicken tasted just like restaurant southern fried. So good!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I bet those halos looked kind of nice at night.

The closest pic I could find is the one below. Ours, of course, were in a line, hanging off the gutters/eaves and wrapped around the wrought iron railings on the porch.

91395f948d9b506f2222faced311d823.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Then FJ put a HUGE smile on my face. I couldn't believe this year ended with the best FJ EVAH. It was a total shout out to me, me, me. Because when I'm introduced to people, I like to say that I'm the frozen-food heiress. BAM! Typically, that's met with a blank stare, the same look I'd get from everyone here who did not answer FJ correctly today.

Are you really of THE Swanson family?

• Love 1

I had a horrible night.  I didn't have a ghost of a clue for FJ.

The only TSs I got were George Elliot and grizzly. I was so close on Nick Hornby.  I said NIck and my mind went blank.  Aaargh.  And not that this was a TS, but I got Patrick Leahy because I'm from VT and it would have been mega-embarrassing not to have gotten that.

Man, I could picture Monique, but could not for the life of me remember her name.  Although, like the end guy, I pre-guessed Cher when the category was revealed.  And, while it didn't matter in the end, the end guy should have bet nothing in FJ.

I've already broken my resolution to pay more attention to the games!  I got distracted by something shiny, and only wrote down one TS -- Bridget Jones.  

• Love 2

Another easy FJ, but good thing they mentioned the movie. I didn't see it but Monique got so much publicity, both before and after, that I knew her name. The only thing I got in the Egypt category was the asp. Could not remember Jenner's new name so I said Bruce (so glad I wasn't a contestant!!)

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I'm embarrassed when they asked for longest serving Senator from VT, I said "Bernie Sanders"! 🙂  He IS an old guy 🙂  

As did I, and I'm not embarrassed about it. (You can see me standing right behind Bernie in an online video of one of his Iowa speeches.) I actually was surprised to learn someone had served longer.

• Love 2

FJ=instaget.

Well, after I realized Gabourey Sidibe and Mariah Carey didn't fit the clue.

53 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've already broken my resolution to pay more attention to the games!  I got distracted by something shiny.....

I had the exact same thought while the intros were playing. I lasted about a minute before that darn shiny object distracted me.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

As did I, and I'm not embarrassed about it. (You can see me standing right behind Bernie in an online video of one of his Iowa speeches.) I actually was surprised to learn someone had served longer.

I'm not sure, Bernie MAY have served longer. But, the question was specifically for longest-serving SEnator.  Bernie was a Representative until 10 years ago.  

Edit: Holy cow. I just looked it up. This is no contest in the Leahy/Sanders arena.  Patrick Leahy has been Senator since 1974.  Literally since I was 1 year old.  Bernie Sanders has first elected to the House of Reps in 1991.  He's a baby compared to PL.  (Although I could have sworn he was first elected in 1988.  Maybe he lost his first bid and I just remember him running.  Must do more research.)

Second edit:  OK, I'm only sort of misremembering.  Yes, he did run in '88, he just lost.  

Edited by Katy M
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I got George Eliot, San Jose, and Columbo, the latter specifically because of "Just one more thing" in the clue.

When a contestant answered, "What is an asp?' Alex said, "We'll accept that." What do you think the expected answer was?

One answer was grouse, but I thought  prairie quail. Maybe I was thinking prairie chicken. Would that have been accepted?

I couldn't remember Monique for FJ. I actually paused my recording, went thru the alphabet, and came up with Monique, but I can't honestly count that.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I got George 

When a contestant answered, "What is an asp?' Alex said, "We'll accept that." What do you think the expected answer was?

I said cobra, because the snake looks like the ones on the crown. Maybe that? ( she says hopefully)

It was a struggle, but I finally came up with Mo'Nique.

• Love 1

I just read through the archive during halftime, and while there weren't as many TS as last night, there were still more than seems typical (although that may be completely off; I'd have to look up the average if that's calculated somewhere).  No huge surprises among them, but I'd have thought George Eliot, Nick Hornby, San Jose, Clark, few, and grizzly bear would have been known/guessed by at least one contestant.

FJ came to me quickly, and I was surprised by that as I haven't seen the film and don't pay much attention to entertainment media anymore. 

17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Cobra.

• Love 3

One answer was grouse, but I thought  prairie quail. Maybe I was thinking prairie chicken. Would that have been accepted?

I doubt it since the clue had the word...complain?...in it (someone please correct me if that's wrong).

Obviously, my 2 musicals are over (Mamma Mia and GRINCHED) and I've returned to the fold, whatever that means. Something with sheep?

• Love 4

I really liked Val’s attitude. She was enjoying herself as well as playing a good game. I had hoped that she would have won. Oh well. I got Bridget Jones (and added 6 cigarettes to her description of what she’d had that day) and since I hadn’t seen the movie I guessed Oprah for FJ. 

• Love 4

Darn it, I could not remember Mo'Nique's name but I knew who they meant.

It made me sad that no one knew George Elliot and Middlemarch.  And maybe Alex was being nice but I don't think that Nick Hornby should have been considered a tough question.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I doubt it since the clue had the word...complain?...in it (someone please correct me if that's wrong).

It did, but it wouldn't be the first time that they accepted something that didn't quite meet the clue. Which was:

Don't complain. Just name the sage type of this bird that Lewis & Clark called the heath cock

18 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

It made me sad that no one knew George Elliot and Middlemarch.  And maybe Alex was being nice but I don't think that Nick Hornby should have been considered a tough question.  

Whereas I was glad that I even got Eliot (sad for a former lit major, I know). I didn't get Hornby because I haven't read any of his books, much less the two mentioned. So for me it was tough, as any question I don't have a clue about is tough. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

t did, but it wouldn't be the first time that they accepted something that didn't quite meet the clue. Which was:

Don't complain. Just name the sage type of this bird that Lewis & Clark called the heath cock

And technically complain wasn't part of the clue. It was just an extra hint.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

The only answer is grouse because the pictured bird was a SAGE grouse. While I am a lenient Jeopardy judge, grouse is the only answer accepted.

Side note: I work with sporting dogs that hunt (point and retrieve) sage grouse. Sage grouse population is dwindling and they are endangered due to habitat loss.

Because she spells her name Mo’Nique, could that be considered two words?

@opus, how did you do in the Comic and Graphic Novel category?

2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Part of my job here is to make other posters feel sad. And smart.

You're welcome.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Because she spells her name Mo’Nique, could that be considered two words?

Well, there's no space between the letters and characters, but I'll leave the decision to the better grammarians on the forum. Since I'm clearly not trustworthy. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

So is "Mo'Nique" a contraction of the oxymoronic More Unique???

That's a great point, so I looked it up. Her real name: "Monique Angela Hicks is known professionally as Mo'Nique." So, maybe yes, maybe no!

As someone else posted, she was all the talk before and after she won the Oscar, she was everywhere. Then she dropped out of sight. So I read more and discovered she says Hollywood "blackballed" her because she refused to do PR for the film because she wanted to get paid to do promotions. Then she refused to do a Netflix comedy special because she was only going to be paid $500,000 and that wasn't enough. Because of all that, she fell right out of favor with Oprah, Tyler Perry and others behind her being cast in Precious.

If you had asked me who Monique is, I would have said that I'd never heard of her. If you told me she was in Precious, I would have still had no idea.

And yet, somehow I answered Monique for FJ. It seems the only ones I am getting right lately are the ones like this where I magically pull the correct answer out of thin air.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, secnarf said:

And yet, somehow I answered Monique for FJ. It seems the only ones I am getting right lately are the ones like this where I magically pull the correct answer out of thin air.

You are no doubt possessed by demons. Smart demons, but still ...

• LOL 5

I almost said Linnaeus, but I said Mendel instead.  

I got Saudi Arabia, Jerusalem and Eleanor Oliphant.

I did fairly well in the first round, and not too bad in the second.  If had gotten Final I would have ended up in the black the way I keep score.  Oh well.  It's not real money. Thank goodness.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I got 10/30 on the first round and 11/30 on the second.  

Very surprised the two competitors didn't get Linnaeus. 

Liked the guy... he was more animated than usual.  

• Love 1

I back asswarded myself to FJ tonight. I said Linnaeus, but I was thinking of Mendel.

I'm just happy Mr. Finger Guns Shouty McShouty lost. Sorry, Kevin. You were annoying.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Not a bad night for me. I got all the DD’s. I had to laugh when Billy Bob Thornton came up for a TS. I’ve been trying to get a friend to watch season 1 and 3 (IMO season 2 wasn’t so good) so now that he came up on Jeopardy, he may watch lol. I also got whale. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I'm just happy Mr. Finger Guns Shouty McShouty lost. Sorry, Kevin. You were annoying.

NOOOOoooooo! I made a note that Kevin did the double finger guns as a shout out to us here since that was a special request we (well, I) made of @teebax when she appeared on the show. She did sneak a very small one in while in the back of a group shot, so Kevin "took one for the team," so to speak. Thanks, Kevin!

I understand Linnaeus was a FJ in 2017, for anyone keeping track.

4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had to laugh when Billy Bob Thornton came up for a TS.

Just last night a TV critic was on the radio discussing the best and worst TV shows of the year. Goliath he talked about as being one of if not the best of 2019. A nice coinkydence!

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

NOOOOoooooo! I made a note that Kevin did the double finger guns as a shout out to us here since that was a special request we (well, I) made of @teebax when she appeared on the show. She did sneak a very small one in while in the back of a group shot, so Kevin "took one for the team," so to speak. Thanks, Kevin!

Nope!

teebax=adorable.

Kevin=annoying.

IMO and all that good stuff.

:-)

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

The only TS I got was Goliath. I don't even watch the show.

For FJ I thought it might be Linnaeus, but I couldn't remember his name, only that he was the guy who came up with the system of taxonomy. I swore last time that I would remember his name. Maybe if I read more about his life his name would stick with me.

I have one nit to pick: In the Change One Letter category, Karen gave the answer of creased and greased. But it should have been crease and grease, no d's, because the second word was described as a lubricant. There have been other times where a contestant was penalized because they inserted an extra letter.

I got Saudi Arabia and Jerusalem, and eventually got Birmingham but only after first guessing Manchester, and then I did get Linneaus, although I appreciated that the guy’s guess of Lamarck was at least time- and profession-appropriate, if ultimately wrong. 

• Love 1

Rats! The "submit reply" is playing silly buggers with me tonight. For one thing, it won't let me quote.

I agree that Teebax was adorable and Shouty McShouty annoying.

I had a good first round, okay second round, and as soon as I saw the FJ category I bet nothing, zero, stood pat (whatever that means).

Even standing pat (whatever that means) with every cent of my imaginary money, I wouldn't have outscored Karen.

I think Karen looks like a young Valerie Bertinelli.

• Love 4