Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

1565833927_valeriecopy.jpg.ec5de8164585f968198a7fe6f7411e12.jpg

Thanks saber. (You picked a photo from the getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony, a momentous day in history).

Happy Holidays to you too.

And to everyone who posts here and makes this thread so fun.

• Love 10

Popping in here to wish all you brilliant people Happy Holidays! It's going to be a mighty quiet Christmas for me this year - I'll be missing my kids and grandkids big time (they all live far away and this is the abysmal year when we're all in different locations). I have to keep reminding me how grateful I am that they're all healthy, happy and living their dream lives. We'll all get together next Christmas.

I don't post much and yet I appreciate everyone here who does... and look forward to the banter which will accompany the 2020 episodes. Bring it on!

• Love 9

I got JD Salinger, volleyball, Thebes, geese, ectomorphs, but drew a complete blank on Dahl. I was with a few others in Mary Poppins land. 

🎄  Happy Holidays to All 🎄

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Volleyball as a TS did surprise mea bit, given the category.  Same with intellectually in that category. 

I said mentally.  Do you think that would have been accepted?

17 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I thought Valerie was Rachel Ray. Oops! 

I thought I was the only one who made that mistake!

7 hours ago, Trey said:

For FJ I said Lewis Carroll.  I didn't really think it was right but Roald Dahl never occurred to me.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to everyone!

I said Lewis Carroll, but I was 100% sure I was right.  British author with made up words?  Who else could it be?  (I've never read the books or seen any of the movies made from his books, and when my friend and I tried to see the musical of Matilda, we had a medical emergency at intermission and never saw the end of it--maybe I'm not the Dahl target audience?)

• Love 1

Another trip to the archives for me tonight.  Christmas Eve is for opening presents at my house!  So I didn’t look at all the clues, just FJ, which I waffled on. I didn’t remember that Hurricane Matthew hit St. Augustine, and Jamestown crossed my mind briefly before I focused on 430 years.  That brought me to St. Augustine, since it’s the only place I could think of that has been around that long, would have colonists, and possibly be hit by a hurricane.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I didn’t remember that Hurricane Matthew hit St. Augustine, and Jamestown crossed my mind briefly before I focused on 430 years.  That brought me to St. Augustine, since it’s the only place I could think of that has been around that long, would have colonists, and possibly be hit by a hurricane.  

I'm embarrassed by how little I remember about American history. I said Jamestown. I would think that was older than St Augustine, but then, I would be, and am, wrong.

I got the DD of Primary Colors. For another one of the DDs, I thought London but wasn't sure.

I couldn't remember dewlap.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Another trip to the archives for me tonight.  Christmas Eve is for opening presents at my house!  So I didn’t look at all the clues, just FJ, which I waffled on. I didn’t remember that Hurricane Matthew hit St. Augustine, and Jamestown crossed my mind briefly before I focused on 430 years.  That brought me to St. Augustine, since it’s the only place I could think of that has been around that long, would have colonists, and possibly be hit by a hurricane.  

I went with Savannah - which was wrong, and I knew it, but at least had a smidge (just a smidge) of logic to it. The mister got it right (and has heard enough about the forum to say "I got a triple stumper!"

My Christmas gift to the forum is my answer to "The hawk owl is unusual for producing almost perfectly spherical ones" was an immediate and supremely confident "poops!" Once the (logical) answer was revealed, we literally cried with laughter and had to pause the recording for 5 minutes until we calmed down enough to watch.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 16
  • Love 4

Dad was released from the hospital at 6 last night—woot!!

Since we’re in Chicagoland, we caught Jeopardy at the usual 3:30. I did get LEGO Movie and dewlap, but was trying to connect a city with the Roanoke colony and ended up with Charleston, knowing that was wrong. 

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My Christmas gift to the forum is my answer to "The hawk owl is unusual for producing almost perfectly spherical ones" was an immediate and supremely confident "poops!" Once the (logical) answer was revealed, we literally cried with laughter and had to pause the recording for 5 minutes until we calmed down enough to watch.

My husband yelled “poop!” From the other room. 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I got FJ right

And, I got the following TSs: Standard Oil, House, Little Big Man, quatrain, Uganda, and Carmel.

And I got the entire category of Face the Author.  I had a very good night.  Merry Christmas to me:)  And to all of you also.

I don't think ARchie should have been accepted.  The name of the show was Archie Bunker's Place.  Not Archie's Place.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 7
On 12/24/2019 at 2:18 PM, Bliss said:

Popping in here to wish all you brilliant people Happy Holidays! It's going to be a mighty quiet Christmas for me this year - I'll be missing my kids and grandkids big time (they all live far away and this is the abysmal year when we're all in different locations). I have to keep reminding me how grateful I am that they're all healthy, happy and living their dream lives. We'll all get together next Christmas.

I don't post much and yet I appreciate everyone here who does... and look forward to the banter which will accompany the 2020 episodes. Bring it on!

I know the feeling...our kids & Grandkids all live thousands of miles away...we miss them but will traveling to see them during the coming year.   Merry Christmas to you & to all the posters on this board that make it fun to be Jeopardy fans!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ right

And, I got the following TSs: Standard Oil, House, Little Big Man, quatrain, Uganda, and Carmel.

And I got the entire category of Face the Author.  I had a very good night.  Merry Christmas to me:)  And to all of you also.

I don't think ARchie should have been accepted.  The name of the show was Archie Bunker's Place.  Not Archie's Place.

I agree with you. He also should have said Geraldine Ferraro instead of just using the last name.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:02 PM, Ailianna said:

I said Lewis Carroll, but I was 100% sure I was right.  British author with made up words?  Who else could it be?

That was my answer as well, although I was pretty sure it was wrong based on the date in the clue.

• Love 2

Because of basketball, the show aired at 9:00 last night. I recorded it, but the show started at the contestant interviews. 

As for what I saw, the only TS I got was TWA. I couldn't pull Little Big Man from the recesses of my brain.

And I didn't get FJ. I didn't even know that the clue was asking for a fraternity. I suppose Phi Beta Kappa is known for having started at William & Mary.

I like the new champ. He reminds me of Bill Shorts.

It's going to take me a while to recover, I just finished watching today's episode in real time, something I haven't been able to do for more than three months. It made me a bit dizzy, keeping track of TSs and other odds and ends. I will have to readjust my schedule as I quit paying attention to time or when I HAD to be home during those "lost months." It actually was sort of freeing, not being able to watch.

Happy Boxing Day everyone!

• Love 9

Boo, hiss.  I was doing so well with FJ this week until today!  Mexico seems obvious in hindsight, but I had no clue at all.  Oh well!

And on top of that, I only got three TS -- parboil, roll bar, and lisp.  I'm a little surprised Alex didn't read the lisp clue with a lisp.  

Happy Boxing Day! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I stayed home alone tonight. It was nice to watch Jeopardy in the peace and quiet with the kitties. I had a fair night. I got parboil, Barbara Bush (was surprised nobody got that one), and  roll bar (thanks NASCAR). It wasn't a TS, but I got a chuckle out of Etruscans, I also got lisp, millibar and didn’t get FJ. I thought French Guiana was too easy and then tried to remember off of what coast that prison Papillon was in and drew a blank. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
To close the parentheses and alter my grammar.
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And I didn't get FJ. I didn't even know that the clue was asking for a fraternity. I suppose Phi Beta Kappa is known for having started at William & Mary.

Phi Beta Kappa is an academic honor society.  Yes, it was founded at William & Mary.  At a Phi Beta Kappa dinner, Dr. Goodwin met Mr. Rockefeller, and the plan for restoring Colonial Williamsburg started to form.

The Shakespeare category used one of my “pet peeve” phrases - “only used once” instead of “used only once.”

Mr. Zoey & I both knew FJ.  Good for us!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I got the TSs of parboil, varnish/vanish and rollbar (which is a ROPS in the equipment world).

Karen got a GFY. Those are rare these days.

I thought the clue for “lisp” was a poor one. I don’t know anyone who lisps when he/she is tired, regardless of age.

Bummer that a Horse clue was left, but I got a kick from the shout out to Lil Nas X. He was part of a clue in one of the old eps I watched online, the answer was a TS for players, Lil Wayne, which I easily answered. I do know my lil rappers.

Etruscans made me laugh.

• Love 2

I chuckled at the end when Alex said that being Emperor didn't work out so well for Maximillian because he was assassinated then corrected himself to say he was executed. My husband said, well, the result is the same. True, but the person assassinated usually doesn't know it's coming, while, if you're standing in front of a firing squad, you're fairly certain of your fate.

I said Mexico, but wasn't sure it was correct.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

No show for me last night, which is rather annoying. Stations know they'll be broadcasting basketball, so they should make arrangements. Like, say, not repeating a repeat of Kimmel or Tamron Hall late night. Bunch of Scrooges, those network people.

I had no clue for FJ.

Tonight, I got Barbara Bush and lisp. I was screaming Phila for that one DD that seemed to be taking forever to answer. Luckily, this time I was heard. ;-)

No clue for FJ.

Sensing a pattern, I am!

.....I just finished watching today's episode in real time, something I haven't been able to do for more than three months.

A Boxing Day miracle?

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I'm a little surprised Alex didn't read the lisp clue with a lisp.  

Oh, my and haha (I'm a bad person). He could have read it like Cindy Brady.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I remembered from Cinco de Mayo that it celebrated Mexico's victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla, FJ was pretty easy for me.

I have awful memories of my retainer for my braces causing me to have a lisp as if a seventh'grader didn't have enough to be self-conscious and embarrassed about. Orthodontia was torture both physically and emotionally. Thanks for dredging that up, Jeopardy! 

• LOL 2

I thought the clue for “lisp” was a poor one. I don’t know anyone who lisps when he/she is tired, regardless of age.

Just the writers being cute, including lots of words that are noticeably "lisped." 

I got parboil, varnish/vanish, and lisping.

For FJ I guessed Haiti.

Sorry to see that Alex didn't last long. He had some bad guesses though.

3 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Can the clue writers please tell me what "a popular food fish" is and give me an example of anyone who has ever used it in a sentence?

Salmon is a popular food fish in our house. And it truly is. 😁

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I love salmon and knew what they were going for, but the wording was bizarre.  "Popular fish for cooking/eating" would have worked just fine.

Edited by Brookside
20 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

Yes, specifically "second story so she can sleep."

This reminds me of an example of ending a sentence with a preposition:  "What did you bring the book I don't want to be read to out of up for?"

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

This was a special kind of challenge: With another drink or two than usual under my belt tonight since it's vacation, I - not home the previous two nights and late to night's game - just read the archive for the previous three games.  It was a bit of a strange run from that perspective:  tonight's episode seemed to have more clues left on the board than average, and the previous two more TS/missed DD, but none of them came across "on paper" as particularly bad games. 

Varnish and vanish was a little surprising as a TS tonight, given the category (and that it was the third clue uncovered in that category, so they weren't ignorant as to what it sought), and Euripides, roll bar, and parboil were also clues I'd have predicted at least one would know.  Cobblestone taking three guesses only true surprise of the game, though.

The "tongue thrust" portion of the "lisp" clue led me to the answer, but the part about wanting a second story in order to sleep had me utterly confused and second-guessing myself; I don't know what I'd have done under game conditions.

Toby Keith being a TS made me happy, though, I know that.

In the earlier games, I'm a little surprised house was a TS in the astrological terms category -- no one immediately got the "when the moon is in the seventh house ..." lyric in their head and took it from there?

TWA was my "huh, really, no one?" surprise (I accounted for it being my long-time favorite airline, but still think at least one should have come up with it based on the AA takeover date) and Carmel took me aback before I remembered all the contestants were from the midwest/East coast and was only mildly surprised.

So, again, no real doozys, which means good games.

• Love 2
On 12/25/2019 at 5:00 PM, Katy M said:

I knew them all, I just didn't get them out of my mouth. I have a different excuse for Little Big Man, though. The name actually did go through my mind, and then I was entranced by the picture, and didn't say it.

On 12/25/2019 at 6:05 PM, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight!  I’d have to return my degree from W&M if I’d missed that one.

Have my own Phi Beta Kappa on the couch next to me, so it would have been bad if I missed it. I had no idea it was W&M, but figured I would have noticed if only W&M graduates held all those positions.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Boo, hiss.  I was doing so well with FJ this week until today!  Mexico seems obvious in hindsight, but I had no clue at all.  Oh well!

My problem was that I'm familiar with Maximilian and Mexico, but the nugget I remember most is that he was the brother of Austrian Emperor Franz Joseph 1. I'd forgotten the French Connection. 😉

11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

There is never a popular fish food in our house.

10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, Alex, the one and done champ, beat the tall woman? She was pretty darn good so I'm surprised. Cause he wasn't all that sharp tonight. Geez...no one knew Barbara Pierce Bush?

With some exceptions, I pay little attention to first ladies' maiden names, or their husbands' nicknames. The exceptions are not because I pay more attention, but because it's more widely known. Jackie Kennedy, Hilary (since she used her maiden name as well as Clinton), and Michelle, because her brother was Oregon State's basketball coach. 

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Varnish and vanish was a little surprising as a TS tonight, given the category (and that it was the third clue uncovered in that category, so they weren't ignorant as to what it sought),

In the earlier games, I'm a little surprised house was a TS in the astrological terms category -- no one immediately got the "when the moon is in the seventh house ..." lyric in their head and took it from there?

I did well on the remove a letter category (which I never do) but varnish and vanish stumped me. Spoiled my sweep. 😞

Never even thought of the lyric, but the mister did.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Driad said:

This reminds me of an example of ending a sentence with a preposition:  "What did you bring the book I don't want to be read to out of up for?"

And that reminds me of the quote (Churchill?) making fun of not ending a sentence with a preposition, "That is something up with which I will not put."

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I knew them all, I just didn't get them out of my mouth.

They didn't even make their way to my mouth.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Brookside said:

Can the clue writers please tell me what "a popular food fish" is and give me an example of anyone who has ever used it in a sentence?

Goldfish are the most popular food fish for people who raise cichlids. I kept a tank of feeder fish (goldfish) that survived after my last Jack Dempsey died. One lived to nearly 20 years, it would spit gravel at the glass tank wall when it wanted to be fed. It ate goldfish flakes, not other food fish!

I agree that this clue was poorly worded.

13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Geez...no one knew Barbara Pierce Bush?

Continue to be amazed. I make this a QS, a quadruple stumper. Didn't have any idea. And I've even seen/heard her speak when she was keynote at a convention.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I've read more than one historical novel which references Emperor Maximillian, so I got it right away.  But Mexico wouldn't necessarily be obvious if you didn't have at least a hint of it.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And on top of that, I only got three TS -- parboil, roll bar, and lisp.

I got lisp, but not the others.  I started with boil but couldn't get the par, and completely missed the category for roll bar.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't think the clue meant that it happened when someone was tired, necessarily, I think it was all the s sounds in "second", "story" and "sleep".  At least that was how I took it, but I do agree that the clue was poorly written.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Etruscans made me laugh.

Me, too.  Those Darn Etruscans is still my favorite category title ever.

13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Geez...no one knew Barbara Pierce Bush

I didn't.  I had no idea what her maiden name was, and completely forgot that Bush Sr. was referred to in the family as "Poppy".

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Varnish and vanish was a little surprising as a TS tonight,

I was surprised that none of the contestants got it, but I have to confess: I couldn't come up with varnish so I had no chance of getting it right.

Toby Keith being a TS made me happy, though, I know that.

Me, too.

Euripides

I said Sophocles, then realized he was Antigone.  When I worked at Borders, Antigone was frequently on local high school reading lists;  we had more than one teenager come in and ask for Antie Gone by Sophie Keys.  (I also had someone ask for Waiting for Go Dot, to which I could not resisting replying "Is that anything like waiting for DelDot?".  Yeah, I was a smart ass to teenagers.)

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

There is never a popular fish food in our house.

Not in mine, either.

I completely forgot about Jeopardy on Wednesday.  I thought it was Sunday, probably because I'd had Christmas Eve off and having 2 days off in a row meant it must be a weekend.  D'oh!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Driad said:

My mom taught me this when I was young: "Never use a preposition to end a sentence with." I said that to my editor one day, making a joke, and he replied, "Yes you can." No sense of humor.

But this is my current pet peeve, I hear it everywhere, on the radio, tv, even on newscasts from people who are supposes to be professionals: "Where are you at," "Where did you get that from," and so on. Makes me want to stab my ears out. Ha ha.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

My mom taught me this when I was young: "Never use a preposition to end a sentence with." I said that to my editor one day, making a joke, and he replied, "Yes you can." No sense of humor.

But this is my current pet peeve, I hear it everywhere, on the radio, tv, even on newscasts from people who are supposes to be professionals: "Where are you at," "Where did you get that from," and so on. Makes me want to stab my ears out. Ha ha.

Eh, I think it's time to lose the preposition rule. Language evolves (or devolves, depending on your perspective).

That being said, there are many things that annoy the hell  out of me when it comes to grammar. So, it's not like I'm all that chill about everything. 🙂 Though I do save my real ire for professional writers (not professional talking heads, who I don't tend to respect anyway).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3