Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was surprised they missed the 7 Hills of Rome and he didn't know the Pieta'.

I guessed Danielle Steele because my sister loves these books. A few times I bought her one for Xmas and was shocked at how many books there are!  I also come across tons of them when browsing in the Goodwill- which I only noticed because of my sister. I did read 2 of her books and it's always this beautiful family with some big tragedy and everything goes wrong but all winds up well.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks for saving me typing time. I got all of these except the last two. I am not THAT smart.

For FJ my first thought was Jessica Fletcher. She's old and uses a typewriter. Then I decided to go for real with Barbara Cartland. Hey, it could have been her if not for the small detail that she died 20 years ago and is buried in Britain.

Mrs. Fletcher eventually converted to a computer when she got that teaching gig in NYC and moved there part-time.  On the other hand, Nora Ephron's been dead since 2012, but he might have meant Delia, but I don't think she's a "best selling author."

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't believe Danielle Steel is that young; she's lying

Her Wikipedia page says she was born August 14, 1947 in NYC. Are you saying this is not correct or that she looks older? Seems to me birth certificates from that time would be easy enough to track down. Just curious.

21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Her Wikipedia page says she was born August 14, 1947 in NYC. Are you saying this is not correct or that she looks older? Seems to me birth certificates from that time would be easy enough to track down. Just curious.

It just seems like she's been around forEVER. Did she start publishing when she was 13?

For FJ I said Collins (Jackie). I couldn't remember her first name but knew her sister was Joan. Of course I didn't remember (or know?) that she had died a few years ago. Details, details.

I got balloon, Pieta, and Gauguin. I strained but couldn't remember Neil Sedaka's name.

I'm so sorry to see John leave. 

• Love 4

I’ve never read her books but she supports a non-profit my friend founded so I have been fortunate to go to a fundraising dinner she threw for him at her absolutely insanely ginormous stunning home in SF and she was very lovely so it was an IG. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

I guessed Margaret Atwood for FJ, which is barely better than the person who guessed a dead writer. I knew she was Canadian but figured she could be living anywhere now. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I guessed Joyce Carol Oates for no other reason than she seemed like she would be someone who went to Paris half the year, and I thought she was in the ballpark for age (she's older, as it turns out). At first I thought Barbara Kingsolver, but remembered she lived in Spain (at least at one point). Steele did flicker across my mind, the way she flickered across my years of voluminous reading - with a whisper and little attention. I read a couple of her books and that was sufficient.

• Love 2

My name is Bliss and I'm a bookaholic. I literally never go anywhere without a book.  (Last good book I read: "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens.)

FJ was an instaget for me as I'd just picked up her book, "Child's Play" from the library earlier in the day - it's been decades since I've read Danielle Steel - and my sister probably won't speak to me for months if I tell her I'm reading what she considers 'trash'. So I simply won't tell her!

I have mixed feelings about DS's writing. The first time I read one of her books - I think I was in my early 20's - I stayed up the whole night because I HAD TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED.

It didn't take many more of her books for me to realize she had a formula, a book-writing recipe. That recipe loses me as a reader; however, it's worked for her, and I have the utmost respect for her success and her philanthropic work on mental illness, esp with kids after her son's death (overdose).

Through the years, her family life intrigued me as I've always appreciated huge families. Her having 9 kids (2 were her second husband's; however she had 5 kids in 5 years with one of her husbands) impressed me somewhat, since she was simultaneously so successful as an author... just checked her Wiki page and she has an impressive list of published works plus a net worth exceeding $300 million. She also has not one but TWO ex-con ex-husbands! Seems she's attracted to the bad boys 😉

I put her in the same category as Nora Roberts. Quick, easy, beach reads.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I’ve never read her books but she supports a non-profit my friend founded so I have been fortunate to go to a fundraising dinner she threw for him at her absolutely insanely ginormous stunning home in SF and she was very lovely so it was an IG. 

Just curious if it was The Star Ball?

From Wiki: "To gain more recognition for children's mental illnesses, Steel has lobbied for legislation in Washington, and previously held a fundraiser every two years (known as The Star Ball) in San Francisco."

7 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Just curious if it was The Star Ball?

From Wiki: "To gain more recognition for children's mental illnesses, Steel has lobbied for legislation in Washington, and previously held a fundraiser every two years (known as The Star Ball) in San Francisco."

No that doesn’t happen at her home. She is actually extremely private and doesn’t do much entertaining at home so this was unusual and a small dinner party to get him some connections. The Star Ball is for her foundation to honor her son. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

My name is Bliss and I'm a bookaholic. I literally never go anywhere without a book.  (Last good book I read: "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens.)

FJ was an instaget for me as I'd just picked up her book, "Child's Play" from the library earlier in the day - it's been decades since I've read Danielle Steel - and my sister probably won't speak to me for months if I tell her I'm reading what she considers 'trash'. So I simply won't tell her!

I have mixed feelings about DS's writing. The first time I read one of her books - I think I was in my early 20's - I stayed up the whole night because I HAD TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED.

It didn't take many more of her books for me to realize she had a formula, a book-writing recipe. That recipe loses me as a reader; however, it's worked for her, and I have the utmost respect for her success and her philanthropic work on mental illness, esp with kids after her son's death (overdose).

Through the years, her family life intrigued me as I've always appreciated huge families. Her having 9 kids (2 were her second husband's; however she had 5 kids in 5 years with one of her husbands) impressed me somewhat, since she was simultaneously so successful as an author... just checked her Wiki page and she has an impressive list of published works plus a net worth exceeding $300 million. She also has not one but TWO ex-con ex-husbands! Seems she's attracted to the bad boys 😉

I put her in the same category as Nora Roberts. Quick, easy, beach reads.

Knowing all of this now (from your post) I do also respect her a lot. She has accomplished so much. Her books are hard to put down even though they are all mostly the same. She has rabid fans.

"She is the bestselling author alive and the fourth bestselling fiction author of all time, with over 800 million copies sold[ She has written 179 books, including over 146 novels."

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Bliss said:

The first time I read one of her books - I think I was in my early 20's - I stayed up the whole night because I HAD TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED.

You are me! The moment I started her first book, Going Home(1972), I could not put it down! I sat out in the living room and read, and read, and cried and cried! I started reading her books then until I realized that I knew what was going to happen, and weened myself off!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mertensia said:

Alex, they're pronounced Wau-Pack-uh and Wau-Share-uh. The wau syllable rhymes with jaw. Or raw. 

What clue was that? I obviously wasn't paying close attention as I don't remember this.

Speaking of pronunciation, there was a discussion on the radio this morning of how to properly say Newfoundland. I've always said it like the dog breed (NEW-fun-land), but now I need someone with first-hand knowledge to set me straight. At least I know where it is on a map.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Speaking of pronunciation, there was a discussion on the radio this morning of how to properly say Newfoundland. I've always said it like the dog breed (NEW-fun-land), but now I need someone with first-hand knowledge to set me straight. At least I know where it is on a map.

That is pretty much the correct pronunciation with the minor nitpick that I would say it is more like NEW-fnd-land. Never, ever New-FOUND-land.

I'm sure others will have their own ideas - I hope they post them.

eta: apparently the first d is not pronounced - I have always pronounced it, although just barely.  In my defense, I am not from Newfoundland, nor have I ever visited it.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Trey said:

That is pretty much the correct pronunciation with the minor nitpick that I would say it is more like NEW-fnd-land. Never, ever New-FOUND-land.

I'm sure others will have their own ideas - I hope they post them.

I'll back you up 100%, Trey! My Nfld friends will refer to themselves as Newfies sometimes - we only call them that when they're not within earshot. 😉

We say, "NEW-fn-land, eh?" LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Trey said:

Thanks @Trey and @Bliss. I run the "fund" together too, sort of like Kentucky natives run "Louisville" together. One of the radio guys insisted it was New-FOUND-land. And a third had something so whack I don't even remember it.

We call the dogs Newfies, or Newfs, for short. They don't seem to mind at all!

ETA: The radio discussion was about the 30+ inches of snow those Newfies got, with 15- to 20-ft. drifts. EH!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, suebee12 said:

You are me! The moment I started her first book, Going Home(1972), I could not put it down! I sat out in the living room and read, and read, and cried and cried! I started reading her books then until I realized that I knew what was going to happen, and weened myself off!

OMG... there's two of us? God help the world 🙂

I honestly don't remember which book I read of DS's... all I know is that I HAD to know how it ended, and I specifically remember someone dying and I was devastated. I cried as if it was a true story - it felt real to me.

• Love 2
On 1/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, MrAtoz said:

For the cow picture, I very confidently said "Black Aberdeen!"  Never mind that there's no such breed, Aberdeen is a place in Scotland!

Sorry for laughing at that, but I used to live in Aberdeen and couldn’t help myself. Although Angus isn’t a city per se it is a region. I still have relatives in Kerriemuir (JM Barrie’s home author of Peter Pan) and Forfar. It’s really a lovely area. 

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks @Trey and @Bliss. I run the "fund" together too, sort of like Kentucky natives run "Louisville" together. One of the radio guys insisted it was New-FOUND-land. And a third had something so whack I don't even remember it.

We call the dogs Newfies, or Newfs, for short. They don't seem to mind at all!

ETA: The radio discussion was about the 30+ inches of snow those Newfies got, with 15- to 20-ft. drifts. EH!

I couldn't even begin to approximate how Louisville is said by natives (I have family there), but I can say it just fine. 🙂 Same with New Orleans.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

That was me when I read Bridges of Madison County. I was wiped out for days afterward.

I love it when a book or movie affects me like that.

When I saw Castaway, it was the middle of winter, and afterwards, I walked through the woods for days (yes, like Forest Gump) thinking about what it would have been like - on an island, all alone, with nobody to talk to except Wilson. A huge part of me would love it; the other part would go (more) insane. I'd miss my family (grandkids especially) and books most of all.

I'd also miss J!

• Love 1
On 1/24/2020 at 9:36 PM, Bastet said:

FJ stumped me, too; the cities didn't mean anything to me, and I didn't even think to go down the romance novel road in scrolling through my mental list of prolific female authors.  If there had been anything in the clue to indicate the romance genre, I'd have guessed correctly, though; I've never been interested in reading that genre, so she's pretty much the only name I know.  (Maybe best-selling in the category title should have sent me in that direction?  I was just happy it wasn't Bestselling Women Authors.)

I guessed correctly because Paris made me think romance, and bestselling romance made me think Danielle Steel.  I think my first assumption was kind of a stretch, but it worked!

I read one of her books at some point, and it wasn't my cup of tea. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I only know her from Frankie and Grace. 

Grace and Frankie (I sometimes flip it, too - I think because of Frankie and Johnny), and that's all I know her from, too.  I did learn somewhere along the way that she's married to Andy Roddick, but I only kept in my mind that it was a tennis star.  So if the clue had asked for Brooklyn Decker's husband, I could have guessed Andy Roddick.  Alas, it asked for Andy Roddick's wife, and I didn't get it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
On 1/25/2020 at 10:26 AM, Bliss said:

she had 5 kids in 5 years with one of her husbands)

Holy cats, her Wikipedia entry is a quite a story! During the same years she was bearing 5 children, she also published 17 novels. That is incredible. If she writes for whole days at a time and has published that many books, she must be absolutely DRIVEN to write. Like, she can't not write.

I was pulling for the guy on the right to take it in an upset. If the winner had bet bigger, it could have fallen into his lap! Not that I had any particular affinity for him, I just love when that happens. 🙂

• Love 2
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

What clue was that? I obviously wasn't paying close attention as I don't remember this.

States by County category. The right response was "What is Winnebago".

19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That was me when I read Bridges of Madison County. I was wiped out for days afterward.

I didn't like Bridges of Madison County at all!  I still have no idea why it appealed to anyone.  Now, The Art of Racing in the Rain, I sat on my couch and just sobbed.  I still feel that sense of loss and sadness when I think about the book. It's why I won't see the movie.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I didn't like Bridges of Madison County at all!  I still have no idea why it appealed to anyone.  Now, The Art of Racing in the Rain, I sat on my couch and just sobbed.  I still feel that sense of loss and sadness when I think about the book. It's why I won't see the movie.

You and me, Zoey. I was baffled by the love for it. Just goes to show we all respond to different things.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Fex said:

I guessed correctly because Paris made me think romance, and bestselling romance made me think Danielle Steel.  I think my first assumption was kind of a stretch, but it worked!

I read one of her books at some point, and it wasn't my cup of tea. 

If you've read one of her books, you've read them all.  I had no idea for FJ.  I thought of Anne Rice, but didn't think she'd split her time between Paris and SF.  Paris and New Orleans, sure.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Kerriemuir

Kirriemuir.  Sorry to nitpick, but that's close to home turf for me (born & raised in Dundee, formerly capital of the county of Angus, though since changed to Tayside). When I was growing up, the best ice cream shop in the county was in Kirriemuir.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

...Now, The Art of Racing in the Rain, I sat on my couch and just sobbed.  I still feel that sense of loss and sadness when I think about the book. It's why I won't see the movie.

My sister said the same thing, and since we're both total sucks when it comes to our fur babies, especially our dogs, I thought I wouldn't be able to handle the movie.

I not only handled it; I absolutely loved it! There's a joy in the sadness that is difficult to express - and all I can say is that the ending is perfection. JMO. It didn't hurt matters that Milo Ventimiglia is easy on the eyes 😉

• Love 3
3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I didn't like Bridges of Madison County at all!  I still have no idea why it appealed to anyone.  Now, The Art of Racing in the Rain, I sat on my couch and just sobbed.

Well, OUCH. I'd never suggest someone has bad taste in books just because they like something different than I do. Books are a personal and private journey for the reader. I would never denigrate someone for having a better trip than someone else.

I was reminded when driving home yesterday that the farm just before mine raises black Angus. They can be quite vocal when being worked. They do show up in the snow though.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, mertensia said:

States by County category. The right response was "What is Winnebago".

On 1/26/2020 at 11:38 AM, saber5055 said:
On 1/26/2020 at 7:09 AM, mertensia said:

Alex, they're pronounced Wau-Pack-uh and Wau-Share-uh. The wau syllable rhymes with jaw. Or raw. 

What does Winnebago County, Wisconsin, have to do with Wau-Pack-Uh and Wau-Share-uh? I still don't get the connection. Oshkosh is the major city in that county. I don't know of any cities in Winnebago that match those pronunciations. I'm stumped.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm stumped.

Granted ... and I'm confused. There should be a WTFrig emoji for times when I think I must be in the wrong thread because I don't know WTFrig is going on. Usually, I move on, muttering "it's just small stuff, and in 10 seconds years it won't matter" to ease my confusion. Sometimes it works.

• LOL 2

This was the $400 clue on Thursday, Jan. 23 in the category The County Line:

Rev up your big ol' RV & go to this Wisconsin county south of Waupaca & east of Waushara

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, surreysmum said:

Kirriemuir.  Sorry to nitpick, but that's close to home turf for me (born & raised in Dundee, formerly capital of the county of Angus, though since changed to Tayside). When I was growing up, the best ice cream shop in the county was in Kirriemuir.

Oops. Thank you. Aye. I should have proofread as I suspect the spellcheck monster got me. 

For ice cream I love Mackies. Their Honeycomb is heaven. Also Irn Bru...finally found that I could order that from Amazon. My mouth is watering as I think of all the wonderful things I miss. 

• Love 2

Mackie's ice cream is delicious!  I can do without Irn Bru, though.  I am headed to Scotland in June, and I'll have a scoop of ice cream for you.  🙂  And lots of Galaxy chocolate, which I love, though I usually avoid milk chocolate.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

His dad shortened it to "Vendi."

No doubt confusing when the barista asks for his name to write on the venti cup.

@Mindthinkr, I've found Irn Bru at Celtic games in my area. There are always vendors selling it ... and haggis, too! Or meat pasties, if you prefer one of those. If there is caber tossing where I live, there has to be some near you!

• Love 1

I actually had no idea for FJ, but picked Frost just because Jeopardy! loves Frost.  Imagine my surprise (and glee!) to find out I was right!

I also managed to get the Everglades, a good man*, A Tale of Two Cities, Bodhi tree, and maladroit.  

*Not IRL, just on this game 🙂

• LOL 9
  • Love 1