Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I really liked Lau and loved her dress.  She was doing so well until she hit the maelstrom and that seemed to take the wind out of her sails. But she remained so upbeat.

Frankly, I barely noticed Dennis all the time he was on.

My ts's were cowl, printing, and Gray's Anatomy.

Another FJ category where I thought I was doomed but it was nearly an instaget.

• Love 4

I got home late, at the end of the interviews, so didn't see a lot of the show. I did catch maelstrom (thanks Lost!), Grey's Anatomy (even though I quit watching that years ago, but the cross-over commercials never end) and, having been in this field since the beginning of time, printer's (printing) devil.

I was all jazzed when I saw the FJ clue since in the Reef Break thread we had extended and often discussions about why cars were driving on the left in an American territory. So we all learned there is a real U.S. territory where cars drive on the left. But when it came to me remembering which territory we all were discussing ... epic fail.

I understand short-term memory loss happens first.

Congrats to Dennis on a nice run. He is the first victim of the three-time-champion thing this year, I believe.

Edited by saber5055
It's Reef Break, not Reef Island!
  • Love 6

I didn't dislike Dennis; however I really like John - his voice, smile, and sense of ha ha... refreshing. He also supports an issue I feel strongly about, so he gets extra points for that. I hope he has a good, long run.

Got FJ by eliminating those I was pretty sure were normal. Driving on the wrong left side of the road is abnormal for me, and it took a couple of weeks in New Zealand before I started to even feel slightly comfortable. Perhaps it had something to do with my daughter's driving. Shh. Please don't tell her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 1:58 PM, bad things are bad said:

If we get Canada smart, will they let us live there for more than 6 months at a time 🙂

I refer to those episodes as the "Saint Hawkeye" ones

I posted this on another thread too, but since it came up and so perfectly sums up what is being discussed, and how I feel about mash :

The longer mash clip here :

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I posted this on another thread too, but since it came up and so perfectly sums up what is being discussed, and how I feel about mash :

Thank you. I love Futurama. I keep this on my desktop and look at it every once in a while.

Bender.jpg.bb83d6feef5430d2ab0c22fd6308bf38.jpg

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Bliss said:

I didn't dislike Dennis; however I really like John - his voice, smile, and sense of ha ha... refreshing. He also supports an issue I feel strongly about, so he gets extra points for that. I hope he has a good, long run.

I didn’t catch John’s issue, but Dennis talked about the opioid crisis. What was John’s?

4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Some writer on this show really loves Sue Grafton. 

Some viewers really love 💗 her, too!

• Love 2

FJ was another instaget for me.  

As for TS, I only wrote down sutures, Black Angus, and love.  I was unfortunately distracted by news of the untimely death of a friend, and missed a chunk of the game.  😞  

@Browncoat Condolences on your loss.

As a former nurse I got the first stumpers of Scrub nurse and Sutures. I also got Los Alamos, Bronze Age, Black Angus, Brooklyn Decker, Seychelles and the FJ of Susan B. Anthony. Justin...what was going on with those weird blond curly bangs? I also thought his pout when they took away his $$ for the bread being buttered on...was OTT. John seems composed and isn’t annoying me. 

• Love 7

I'm an idiot (hush, all you people agreeing with me)! I got stuck on Elizabeth Cady Stanton, even though I knew that was wrong. I couldn't remember Susan B. Anthony to save my life.

I did get Los Alamos, Black Angus, Seychelles, and love. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

I didn’t catch John’s issue, but Dennis talked about the opioid crisis. What was John’s?

Quoting from Andy's jeopardyfan site as he says it perfectly:

John has been wearing his Donate Life pin because his sister received a kidney a year and a half ago after a lengthy wait. He’s hoping that bringing awareness shortens the wait time for others.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Justin...what was going on with those weird blond curly bangs? I also thought his pout when they took away his $$ for the bread being buttered on...was OTT.

I'm all for individualism -- five years in a college filled with fine-art students, me being one of them, will do that to a person -- so his hair didn't bother me. And I laughed at his OTT pout. I dated an actor for quite some time, and he would do the same exaggerated pout, which made me laugh every time. Plus Justin's fav category was Non-Operating Theater, which says it all to me.

Here I thought I was a real smarty being able to ID a black Angus. I guess everyone (except the players) can as well. To my credit, I can ID all breeds of cattle so I'm hoping for a Photos On The Moov category in the future.

Otherwise, all I got was Love (Beatles shout out). I guess that's all I need.

I was hoping the woman player could work her "Lord" into some exclamation, like "What is, lordy lord ... Greystoke." I know, it's a stretch. But judges have allowed crazier things.

For FJ I was all pumped, another Timeless episode reference! So of course the answer was easy peasy -- Alice Paul.

@Browncoat -- Deepest sympathy on the loss of your friend. How shocking. *Cyber hugs*

• Love 5

I had to rely on the archive tonight, and after happy hour, so I hope the two new facts I learned will stick with me: how "gal pal" came to be, and that baklava has 33 layers of phyllo dough.

The FJ clue had no business as a FJ clue outside of the Toddler Tournament.

The Los Alamos and Bronze Age TS surprised me, and Seychelles a bit, too (because it seems like those islands are asked about enough that one of three preparing for the game would have known it).  Scrub and sutures I'd have thought someone would at least guess, but didn't rise to the level of surprise.

I thought the cake was angel food, not angel's food, and a brief perusal of Google search results (so, quite scientific) indeed reveals only angel, not angel's.  So I take issue with that answer being accepted.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I thought the cake was angel food, not angel's food, and a brief perusal of Google search results (so, quite scientific) indeed reveals only angel, not angel's.  So I take issue with that answer being accepted.

I also took issue with Lis-a-beth (or Elizabeth, which might also be what was said) Salander being accepted. It's Lisbeth, no "a" in the middle.

I was also curious about the judging decision to take away the money earned for Lord Greystoke but not penalize the contestant for a wrong answer. 

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Otherwise, all I got was Love (Beatles shout out). I guess that's all I need.

Me, too.

I also go FJ, though I did pause for a brief sec on Margaret Sanger.

I'm not that good at pairing singers/groups with songs, so I wonder if my surprise at John knowing The Scorpions did "Rock Me Like a Hurricane" was warranted.

I don't get the pun about "Just go with it" and Brooklyn Decker.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was surprised they accepted it too, as it is indeed angel food and I heard angel's or angels food.

• Love 4

Didn’t know where to put this....

Does anyone else get a show of old reruns called  Daytime Jeopardy? Does anyone else get it at 1:07 in the morning?

Edited by opus
9 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

I also took issue with Lis-a-beth (or Elizabeth, which might also be what was said) Salander being accepted. It's Lisbeth, no "a" in the middle.

I was also curious about the judging decision to take away the money earned for Lord Greystoke but not penalize the contestant for a wrong answer. 

I agree about Lisbeth Salander (even though I hate that series!).

Based on what Alex said when noting the score adjustment, I think the Greystoke thing is because the judges felt the clue was ambiguously worded.  As I recall, it mentioned "this noble name," which I suppose might make people think that the title of nobility was required.

For the cow picture, I very confidently said "Black Aberdeen!"  Never mind that there's no such breed, Aberdeen is a place in Scotland!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I was surprised at the Bronze Age triple stumper. I didn't have the time period of that age readily available in my mind, but given the category, it seemed easy to figure out. Black Angus was more of a leap for me.

In the Master & Commander clue, I was thinking Horatio Hornblower - but it came out HR Pufinstuff. LOL

For FJ, Carrie Nation popped into my head (very, very wrong - but hey, her last name was Nation), but I pulled it out and got the right one in time.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I didn't catch the pun when Alex first read the clue. I was just picturing the country's flag with a turtle shell on it. However, I just googled Seychelles flag, and there's no turtle shell. Obviously I misunderstood the clue. What was it?

19 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't catch the pun when Alex first read the clue. I was just picturing the country's flag with a turtle shell on it. However, I just googled Seychelles flag, and there's no turtle shell. Obviously I misunderstood the clue. What was it?

Here it is:

The coat of arms of this nation of islands off Africa's east coast has only one shell down by the seashore, & it's a turtle

The coat of arms looks like this:

image.png

I didn't get Seychelles. I never get Seychelles. Now maybe if I connect it to Sue Sold Seychelles Down by the Seashore, I might remember it. lol

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

He's dead?

PS - I love your apples.

I was going to make a comment about laughing at your post... something like, "I hope so, seeing as he's been buried for xxx years"... then I looked up Frederick Douglass to find out when he died and noticed his son, FD Jr, died before him. Now I'm sad.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

For the cow picture, I very confidently said "Black Aberdeen!"  Never mind that there's no such breed, Aberdeen is a place in Scotland!

You were more correct than you think. The breed is Aberdeen Angus, there is no such breed as a "Black Angus." Black indicates color, not breed, as Angus cattle also come in red. "Red Angus." They are registered with the Aberdeen-Angus Cattle Society in the UK and the American Angus Society in the U.S. I was wishing the photo had been a red Angus, just to shake it up.

I understand Frederick Douglass has been corresponding with the White House, so I can see the confusion at thinking he is or isn't dead. Maybe he is only partly dead.

PERFECT photo, @GrannySmith. Jeopardy should have used it for its clue.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was wishing the photo had been a red Angus, just to shake it up.

Wouldn't have fit the category though (BC). Maybe they'll use it when they have an RC category (as I typed that, I had nearly enough RC answers to make up a whole category...more popping in as I continue. 😄

15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I understand Frederick Douglass has been corresponding with the White House, so I can see the confusion at thinking he is or isn't dead. Maybe he is only partly dead.

So a Vampire? Will Abraham Lincoln have to go after him (hope I got the reference to the ...book?...movie?? right)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Wouldn't have fit the category though (BC). Maybe they'll use it when they have an RC category (as I typed that, I had nearly enough RC answers to make up a whole category...more popping in as I continue. 😄

Ha ha! The category was BA. But your BC category would be welcomed so keep thinking 'em up.

Just because my Red Angus doesn't fit the category doesn't mean a kid can't wish!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I also got Los Alamos, Bronze Age, Black Angus, Brooklyn Decker, Seychelles and the FJ of Susan B. Anthony.

I got most of those, although I had no idea who Brooklyn Decker is, and I almost said Seychelles but didn't for some reason.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I thought the cake was angel food, not angel's food, and a brief perusal of Google search results (so, quite scientific) indeed reveals only angel, not angel's. 

I always say the non-possessive, but I have heard angel's as well, so that one didn't bother me too much.  Though I wouldn't have been up in arms if they'd not accepted it.

I felt bad for Alex, having to admit he'd given credit for two answers where he shouldn't have.  I suspect he at least feels like he's starting to slip up some.

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

In the Master & Commander clue, I was thinking Horatio Hornblower - but it came out HR Pufinstuff. LOL

I love this!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

You were more correct than you think. The breed is Aberdeen Angus,

Thank you! This helps me get a joke from "Are You Being Served?"  Mr. Humphreys is selling a gabardine raincoat to a Scottish customer, and says, "If you buy this, your friends will call you Gabardine Angus!"

• LOL 8

I'm still stuck on that TS of Adam Schiff a few days ago... do you think those contestants have bruises from head-smacking?

There's a marketing term that escapes my mind at the moment. It has to do with noticing something after-the-fact; e.g., if you buy a (brand new) car and then sit in a waiting room, flipping through a magazine, and see an ad for the car you just bought... chances are, you'll read it (to support your decision to buy that car). Normally, you'd have flipped right by that 2 page spread, and wouldn't even pause to look at it. My point to all this is I bet those contestants have seen Schiff in the news constantly ever since they missed that clue. Complete with photo! Sheesh.

Thought Stephen Colbert's signage last night, "Same Schiff... Different Day",... brilliant.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Ha ha! The category was BA. But your BC category would be welcomed so keep thinking 'em up.

Just because my Red Angus doesn't fit the category doesn't mean a kid can't wish!

D'Oh! Well, at least I carried it through all the way. Sigh...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, opus said:

Does anyone else get a show of old reruns called  Daytime Jeopardy? Does anyone else get it at 1:07 in the morning?

*crickets* I guess.

My regular Jeopardy is technically Daytime Jeopardy since it's on at 4:30 in the afternoon. How old are the reruns you are getting?

There is a rerun here, Sunday night at 11:30 p.m. It's about one season behind so not that old. I'd love to see the oldies, like when Brad was on.

12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

*crickets* I guess.

My regular Jeopardy is technically Daytime Jeopardy since it's on at 4:30 in the afternoon. How old are the reruns you are getting?

There is a rerun here, Sunday night at 11:30 p.m. It's about one season behind so not that old. I'd love to see the oldies, like when Brad was on.

Tonight they have 11/30/18.

I found this at the JBoards from 2014, where they specifically talk about my area, so I guess it's been around awhile here. Apparently it used to be on at 2:30 pm here, where the name makes more sense (I don't usually watch morning/afternoon TV, unless some sporting event is on). Probably wasn't doing well, so they shifted it to the overnight hours but kept the name.

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?t=2274

I remember some other posters in the Chicago area saying here they got the once-a-week late-night rerun. But there isn't a daily rerun here, unless it's on a cable station like Game Show Network. Maybe some east coasters will know more about that's going on there. 2018 isn't that old; I'd like to see episodes 10-15 years old, that would be fun.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Bliss said:

There's a marketing term that escapes my mind at the moment. It has to do with noticing something after-the-fact; e.g., if you buy a (brand new) car and then sit in a waiting room, flipping through a magazine, and see an ad for the car you just bought... chances are, you'll read it (to support your decision to buy that car). Normally, you'd have flipped right by that 2 page spread, and wouldn't even pause to look at it. My point to all this is I bet those contestants have seen Schiff in the news constantly ever since they missed that clue. Complete with photo! Sheesh.

The first part is frequency illusion or Baader-Meinhof effect and the second is confirmation bias. Frequency illusion is when you buy a car and start seeing that model everywhere. The cars were always there, you just never noticed them. It's related to the way we pick up on J! references that make the writers seem clairvoyant because there's a clue about someone or something that is in the news now but not when they were writing the clues.

Confirmation bias is when you accept information that supports your existing belief and reject anything that contradicts it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I don't think I've ever read a Danielle Steele book in my life.  I had absolutely no idea who FJ meant -- I could have sat here for decades and not figured it out.  

But I did get a lot of TS!  And there were a lot to get!  The ones I got include hasty pudding, Ludlum, Three Mile Island, Ocho Rios, Pieta, Gauguin, cerebrospinal, and genetics.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ABay said:

Confirmation bias is when you accept information that supports your existing belief and reject anything that contradicts it.

...like whether or not Frederick Douglass is alive.

I don't believe Danielle Steel is that young; she's lying. At first I thought Joan Didion, but she's too old (85). My final decision was Erica Jong...all that flying between Paris and SFO, y'know... So much to fear!

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But I did get a lot of TS!  And there were a lot to get!  The ones I got include hasty pudding, Ludlum, Three Mile Island, Ocho Rios, Pieta, Gauguin, cerebrospinal, and genetics.

Thanks for saving me typing time. I got all of these except the last two. I am not THAT smart.

For FJ my first thought was Jessica Fletcher. She's old and uses a typewriter. Then I decided to go for real with Barbara Cartland. Hey, it could have been her if not for the small detail that she died 20 years ago and is buried in Britain.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I won't be home tonight, so I just read the archive.

The Denmark TS really surprised me, in that no one even took a guess -- pick one of the other Nordic countries and hope you chose the right one!

Neil Sedaka surprised me a bit, too, for the same reason - even if you don't know the song (and I didn't), guess one of the songwriting Neils.  I was expecting someone to guess Neil Young.

The Ocho Rios TS really surprised me; with Heather doing the translation but adding an S to ocho, I can't believe no one else rang in with the correct response. 

FJ stumped me, too; the cities didn't mean anything to me, and I didn't even think to go down the romance novel road in scrolling through my mental list of prolific female authors.  If there had been anything in the clue to indicate the romance genre, I'd have guessed correctly, though; I've never been interested in reading that genre, so she's pretty much the only name I know.  (Maybe best-selling in the category title should have sent me in that direction?  I was just happy it wasn't Bestselling Women Authors.)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, GrannySmith said:

I hear he’s doing great things. 

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

You were more correct than you think. The breed is Aberdeen Angus, there is no such breed as a "Black Angus." Black indicates color, not breed, as Angus cattle also come in red. "Red Angus." They are registered with the Aberdeen-Angus Cattle Society in the UK and the American Angus Society in the U.S. I was wishing the photo had been a red Angus, just to shake it up.

PERFECT photo, @GrannySmith. Jeopardy should have used it for its clue.

That’s my arm in that photo. I could have been famous. 

• LOL 6