Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E12: The Art of Fashion

• Start Topic

It's the last challenge to determine which four designers will move on to the finale; they must create their biggest and best looks as well as designing experimental art installations; with rapper Cardi B and Bergdorf Goodman's Linda Fargo.

Original air date: 5/30/19

Tessa would have had a dull and all black runway collection-happy to see her gone. Hester’s will be juvenile and ai can’t see her winning. Was surprised and happy for Bisme.

Sebastian could have had mannequins in his room draped in sheets and his girl would look like a mannequin come alive. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 22

The final four are the most deserving and talented.  Good job judges. Tessa showed class after being booted. Never liked her aesthetic. Loved seeing everyones body of work and the fact that it factored into who made the top 4. Good job Nu-PR!

• Love 18
4 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Sebastian could have had mannequins in his room draped in sheets and his girl would look like a mannequin come alive

That would have been good! I wonder what happened to all the mirrors that they were supposed to put in? I saw a couple - but it seemed like the room designer promised it would be filled. Not that it would have helped that silly looking room. I was so glad they saw the beauty and work that went into that dress and let go of the room aspect.

• Love 7

I was concerned that CardiB (sp?) was going to influence the judging.  Not sure why she was there, except she is a client of Christian's.

The actual guest judge seemed qualified and had some knowledgeable comments.  I hate it when they have some actress or movie star judge, especially the finals.

• Love 23

I'm very happy to see Garo, Sebastian and Bisme in the finals!  Of the two women left, both of whom I really don't care for, I guess Hester would be the lesser of two evils, and she will, at least, offer a bright, colorful runway show.  I don't think she will win though (if she does, then we'll know that the show is rigged).

I'm wondering if the concern about Sebastian not being able to tell a story is really a concern that he won't be able to produce a cohesive final collection.  He makes gorgeous clothes and his skills are above all the others, but I can see that the lack of cohesion could be his undoing.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

I'm good with the final four, though of course we can expect a "surprise" elimination of one before the final runway.

This challenge was interesting and kind of innovative, but had built-in (pun intended) unfairness. Garo, Tessa, and Hester got what they wanted for their rooms, while Sebastian's designer clearly didn't understand or deliver what Sebastian wanted. I was proud of Bishme for telling his designer to get rid of the literal elements (the taxi door and sneakers and distressed brick walls), to her obvious confusion (because it's "the hood," right?).

Sebastian's dress was SO. HEAVY. If you're going for Greek goddess, wool is not the right choice. It could have been a fatal error.

I thought Bishme's dress was beautiful and embodied his vision.

Garo's was fun and lovely. I'm not sure it was my favorite, but the man can make a damn dress.

I liked Tessa's idea and her room, but the garment was just too little, too late.

Hester's was... Hester. Her model, though! Could any model be better? She is amazing!

As stated above, I appreciated that it was at this stage that the judges reviewed the contestants' bodies of work on the show in making decisions.

• Love 20

If Sebastian wanted Greece he should have gone for blue and white. The story could have been that she was one of the palace’s pillars come to life. I’m glad the judges overlooked the ugly purple and yellow background and looked at the quality of the dress. I’m guessing they couldn’t install the mirrors due to camera angles and continuity?

I’m not sure I would have given Garo the win, but he did have the most cohesive look overall with his room. I liked his dress in terms of the futuristic idea, but not as a wearable piece. It would be a cool look as a performance piece for some singer though. 

Bishme has been my favorite all season. I’d love to see him win this whole thing. His rose gold dress was pretty and I liked the idea of a rose growing out of concrete. My only criticism would be that the different rose gold materials of the top of the dress and the bottom looked a bit off against each other. Maybe he should have used one material throughout? Maybe it was just the camera angle and lighting, but it did catch my notice. 

As for Hester, I liked the top that she showed Christian better than the one she went with in the end. I agree with Christian that it made the look more interesting. The top she chose looked cheap. The guest judge was spot on that Hester needs to be careful about her work being marketable. I really hope Hester doesn’t win the competition. 

So glad Tessa is gone. She spent so much time during this competition being worried about what everyone else was doing that she didn’t grow as an artist herself. She’s still got some growing to do to figure out who she needs to be as a designer. Glad we don’t have to endure a runway show from her. 

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I'm wondering if the concern about Sebastian not being able to tell a story is really a concern that he won't be able to produce a cohesive final collection.  He makes gorgeous clothes and his skills are above all the others, but I can see that the lack of cohesion could be his undoing.  

Me too, but to be honest, when I see a fashion collection (mostly on TLo's website), often I either can't see the cohesion or I don't care. I want to see pretty clothes.

• Love 21

Does Christian know he's not competing, that he already won Project Run? He gets so stressed watching the fashionitas work! He almost had a heart attack watching Tessa hack at her skirt/belt last week.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I've been watching the basketball game (go Raptors!!!) but I got a glimpse of the designers total work and I thought Tessa's work was much better than Hester's.  The judge from Bergdorf's was right.  Hester's stuff is silly.  Tessa is a pain in the ass but she's a better designer than Hester and if it was between the two of them, Hester should be on her way back to Candyland.

• LOL 2
  • Love 20

I’m fine with the final three men. Hester was always a given to make it to the final, the judges have always loved her for some reason. I wasn’t a fan of Tessa but I thought her designs were better than Hesters. 

• Love 12

I really hope they don't do a "surprise" elimination and have a final 3. I know they've done this before but, ugh, imagine doing all that work for months and then not even getting to show it. It's really an awful thing to do to someone. 

That being said, I really wish there was just one more challenge before the final or they eliminated both Tessa and Hester because I'd love it if the guys were in a final 3. 

I love Christian being so emotionally envolved (e.g. you're stressing me out!) It means he cares!!

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Bishme has been my favorite all season. I’d love to see him win this whole thing. 

YES.

So glad Tessa is gone. She spent so much time during this competition being worried about what everyone else was doing that she didn’t grow as an artist herself. She’s still got some growing to do to figure out who she needs to be as a designer. Glad we don’t have to endure a runway show from her. 

This is very kind. I hope she grows, too, personally and professionally. 

• Love 5

*Munchkins singing*

Ding don, Tessa's gone!

Has Hester ever made a wearable garment?

The guest judge seemed underwhelmed by her despite the praise she was getting from the others.

I predict that Hester''s collection will be the most colorful and poorly sewn on the runway next week.

I  will say that I liked Tessa's installation, but that says more about the set designer than her.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, millennium said:

FWIW, I think both Tessa and Hester should have been eliminated.  Their work, similar in different ways for being unfinished, unimaginative, etc., is equally bad.   Where others regard Tessa as a bitch, I see her as someone who has probably had to scratch and claw for any recognition or break she ever got.  Short, kind of mousey,  I can understand why Tessa found Hester so galling.   Both have very little talent, but Hester managed to bedazzle the judges with her "fugitive from Candyland" persona, while Tessa had only her work to speak for her.   It must have been crushing to be sent home while Lunette gets to carry on.

I thought Hester and Tessa were workroom buddies?

The judging of the bottom two was basically, "Hester and Tessa both sucked today, but at least we know Hester's collection won't be boring. A hot mess, maybe, but not boring." Tessa can't say the same.

The rapport each designer had with their model was fun to see. Lots of support to freaking out designers.

Garo's future scene reminded me vaguely of Barbarella.

• Love 17

Well, three of the final four is correct, so I guess I’m pretty happy. That guest judge was correct. Hester’s “clothes” are unmarketable. I loved her expression when Karlie said, “but she’s won three challenges” - her face looked like, “so what?” 

Goodbye Tessa. Good riddance. Her outfit looked like a bunch of mud colored scraps. Blech. 

Sebastian’s dress reminded me so much of Leanne’s  winning collection from a million seasons ago, but it still was beautiful. I hope he wins. If not him, then Bishme. I think Garro is talented, but the prize would be more meaningful and help the other two so much more. Garro is already successful. When he said “these feelings coursing through my body” I thought he said corsetting through my body, which would still work for him! 😂

I hope next week is the last time I have to see Hester or her stupid hats. Die plz indeed. (At least as far as this competition is concerned!).

• Love 21

I was hoping that either Tessa or Hester would be eliminated, so I'm glad to see Tessa &her unfinished hems gone. I hope Hester doesn't win just because her stuff is quirky. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Cultural literacy check.

No one acknowledged Tupac?

Brandon doesn't know what wabi-sabi is? And Tessa doesn't cite it as her design aesthetic until now?

96FF35FE-F984-43D3-9F7D-2C76AF2F0133.jpeg

Edited by kirklandia
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

I thought Hester and Tessa were workroom buddies?

Tessa was the only one who ever called out Hester as undeserving of her win, to her face.   I forget which episode but it happened in the lounge.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I hope next week is the last time I have to see Hester or her stupid hats. Die plz indeed. (At least as far as this competition is concerned!).

what?  no love for "cutie pie"?   😉

if the show wants to retain any credibility, Hester has to go.

if she doesn't, it will mean eliminating Garo (more talented), Sebastian (more talented) or Bishme (more talented)

i can't see them risking the blowback from eliminating one of those three, but they don't want to get rid of Hester either.

what to do?

"Your collections were all so good that we have decided to send four designers to Fashion Week ..."

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

Hester's outfit looked as if she put it together with safety pins from dumpster fabric scraps in the last ten minutes while standing on a windy streetcorner - so, phew!, she got through to the final four phase. I am looking forward to her collection.

So glad they are giving them five months and ten grand to work on their collections. It should be very interesting to see the results. I predict: sparkly bomber jackets and prom dresses; corsets; sculptural stuff; frilly tullle!

Bye-bye, No Hems! For a scary moment I thought sensible sleek bob lady was going to sway them and we'd have dour floursacks instead off frilly tulle. Thank god for Meana, she always gets her way!

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Regarding Sebastian and his lack of a "story"—thank you, Brandon. Who cares what the story is if the clothes are amazing.

Same here. It drives me crazy when these reality shows feel the need to push having a story behind everything whether it's food on a cooking show, the meaning behind a dance, or a story for clothes. I mean, did we learn nothing from some of the convoluted stories behind the clothes in past seasons like the French nanny who met a dog walker?

Yes, there is often inspiration and a story behind art, but sometimes a tree is just a tree. My feeling is that art should be strong enough to stand on its own. People should be able to experience the art without knowing the whole back story behind it. If you need to know the story in order to understand the art, then the art isn't very good.

I'm with Brandon. I don't care what the story is behind Sebastian's clothes because they look fucking amazing. I love when he said that maybe the story is that I put this on because I wanted to look fabulous today.

I'm so glad that Sebastian didn't give up. I think the stress just got to him, which is understandable. He has created so many of my favorite pieces this season so I'm glad he's one of the finalists. The judges don't seem to love him though, so I don't have high hopes for him winning.

As much as I like Bishme, I did not like the dress he created. The dress itself (without the huge rose thing behind the model's head) looked like a dated bridesmaid dress. The sculptural rose thing reminded me of a dress that I bought for my Barbie that had the exact same feature. Although the rose gold looked beautiful on his model, I think he needs to lay off the lamé in general because it tends to look cheap.

Garo elevated what he usually does and created a really interesting dress. I get why Nina said that it veered into costume territory, but I think he did a good job using different elements and explaining that each one could be removed to make the dress more ready to wear. His room really matched his concept too. He was the only one who fulfilled both aspects of the challenge (the dress and the experiential aspect of the room design), so he deserved to win this challenge.

Tessa made the ugliest outfit of the week. Talk about FUG. Aside from how ugly it was, the design concept was terrible. It looked like something a kid would make. The horrible skirt was just a chunkier version of what she made last week (before she cut off the fabric). I didn't understand why the judges thought she did such a good job with the room design. It was just a room with a bunch of pottery on shelves. I can't believe that Brandon absolved her of a season's worth of unfinished hems because of her wabisabi story. No, Brandon, it wasn't a design choice. She admitted that she just didn't have time to finish her hems when you specifically asked her about it a few weeks ago!

Hester's outfit was not great, but I liked the room she created because it definitely created a very specific mood. I was surprised that she ended up having anything for her model to wear after she wasted the entire first day and then cut up what little she had made during the model fitting. While I am not a fan of her aesthetic, between her and Tessa, I'm more interested in seeing Hester do a runway show in the finale. It might be more of the same Rainbow Brite aesthetic that we have come to expect from her but at least it won't be ten boring black outfits, which is what we would get from Tessa. I think that even with five months, Hester will still have fit and construction issues and it will look like a rainbow threw up on a rave.

My favorite thing about the judges deliberating is that we got to see Tessa's full collection to remind us how she said that she didn't use black all season. She really needs to thank Christian for suggesting that she use purple. Without that, her design this week would have looked like a patchwork of poop.

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
5 hours ago, anniebird said:

Like a lot of other people here I never cared much for Christian but I love him in this role -- he's charming, and funny, and actually cares about the designs and the designers. Also, Brandon is a hoot and he is critical without being bitchy about it - I hope he sticks with the show.

This.   With Brandon as a judge, I don't miss Michael Kors anymore.

• Love 23

When the final five were sitting in the Designers Penthouse Sebastian and Bishme were sitting so close to each other I thought they were holding hands...and then my mind wandered into that storyline for a lot of the rest of the episode.

What I'm saying is I hope one of them wins.

• LOL 12
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, millennium said:

what?  no love for "cutie pie"?   😉

if the show wants to retain any credibility, Hester has to go.

if she doesn't, it will mean eliminating Garo (more talented), Sebastian (more talented) or Bishme (more talented)

i can't see them risking the blowback from eliminating one of those three, but they don't want to get rid of Hester either.

what to do?

"Your collections were all so good that we have decided to send four designers to Fashion Week ..."

Color me confused. Do these finalists show at Fashion Week or is it simply a Project Runway show? Have heard no talk of fashion week or additional possible eliminations. With the exception of adding the tshirt to the challenge, there have been no (stupid) twists to challenges which I love. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Color me confused. Do these finalists show at Fashion Week or is it simply a Project Runway show? Have heard no talk of fashion week or additional possible eliminations. With the exception of adding the tshirt to the challenge, there have been no (stupid) twists to challenges which I love. 

Actually, I think you're right.   I'm not sure I heard anyone say Fashion Week.   I said it out of habit, because until now the final competition was always held during Fashion Week.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3