Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E12: The Art of Fashion

• Start Topic

I like Tessa's aesthetic, although I don't wear a lot of black. I wear minimalist designs in smoky blues, deep garnets, steel gray. But her black minimalism was all wrong for this show. When she tried to depart from her aesthetic she failed, although I loved the clay color (hard to find), and the mix with lavender was interesting. But her kimono look was crafty and hideous. Combined with her lousy attitude, it was time for her to go.

I did not like Bishme's dress. I thought it was prom or pageant, and some of the construction was poor.

Gary's look without the gimmicky wings was beautiful. I'm pulling for Sebastian. Since the CFDA show is off the air, I'd love to see a special showing him working with CFDA after a PR win.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, little black cloud said:

Hester, don’t be such a goddamn try-hard. I mean, she changed her glasses between Mood and the workroom. 

I noticed that too. Just in a tiny effort to give her the benefit of the doubt, the first ones were yellow-tinted. I imagine that would have made choosing fabric..... interesting. But yeah, way too high maintenance, girl!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, becauseIsaidso said:

So glad I haven't bothered watching. Sounds like the fix is definitely in for hester, with a bit of fake drama put in as a red herring. No point in watching the finale. So sad this show has turned into such a sham.

BecauseIsaidso, I truly gave up on Project Runway after probably season 5. Couldn't even hate watch it anymore. This go-round feels a lot more like seasons 1 2 and 3. Not too much producer inspired drama, designers that are witty and charming and talented with some snark and pettiness mixed in. I suggest you give this episode a try. I think most of us on this forum that follow the show agree that pretty much the best and most talented designers are in the finals.

• Love 16
10 hours ago, lovinbob said:

I did not hate Hester in this episode! Something about her struggle seemed to strip away some of her facade, which made her more likable for me. 

I am really struck by Bishme's clear vision. I am calling him to win the whole thing.

Hester calling Tessa phony was hilarious.  I do agree with you about Hester.  As she's getting more and more tired, her stupid affectations are falling away.  I don't understand why the judges think a collection from her would be interesting.  She's a one trick pony.  Her outfit this week was really badly made, on top of being ugly and of the same general thing she throws down the runway each week.   Why does that have the potential to be interesting.

I love Bishme's vision, too, and I hope he wins.  I love Baltimore and he's representing some of the heart of the city.  

• Love 11

How on earth does Hester manage to work all day long wearing that stupid beret? I am a beret person myself, but worn across my forehead. Unless she has either an enormously round, Charlie Brown skull, or some kind of mechanical aids, that band would have to be crazy tight in order to stay on/keep from sliding off.

I would like to hear the judges explain why it might be an important skill for a designer to be able to come up with a 'story'; the only thing I can think of is that nowadays, social media might demand more drama and scandal/whatever to make an impact online? There was a time, long ago, when designers simply had flowers or music to set the mood during a runway presentation. It seems that today, an 'experience' is a necessity to get anyone to pay attention to your schmattas.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, millennium said:

FWIW, I think both Tessa and Hester should have been eliminated.  Their work, similar in different ways for being unfinished, unimaginative, etc., is equally bad.   Where others regard Tessa as a bitch, I see her as someone who has probably had to scratch and claw for any recognition or break she ever got.  Short, kind of mousey,  I can understand why Tessa found Hester so galling.   Both have very little talent, but Hester managed to bedazzle the judges with her "fugitive from Candyland" persona, while Tessa had only her work to speak for her.   It must have been crushing to be sent home while Lunette gets to carry on.

"Fugitive from Candyland" is perfect!!!   ROFL!!! 😂😂😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Bishme has been my favorite all season. I’d love to see him win this whole thing. His rose gold dress was pretty and I liked the idea of a rose growing out of concrete. My only criticism would be that the different rose gold materials of the top of the dress and the bottom looked a bit off against each other. Maybe he should have used one material throughout? Maybe it was just the camera angle and lighting, but it did catch my notice. 

7 hours ago, kirklandia said:

Cultural literacy check.

No one acknowledged Tupac?

Brando doesn't know what wabi-sabi is? And Tessa doesn't cite it as her design aesthetic until now?

96FF35FE-F984-43D3-9F7D-2C76AF2F0133.jpeg

BOTH of them owe a debt of gratitude to the song "Spanish Harlem", first recorded in 1960.

• Love 10

55 minutes ago, Darian said:

I liked Christian fine during his season, but since then, seeing how he's crafted his career and watching him as a mentor, I have come to love him. 

I have a crush on Christian even though he is gay and I'm a woman (and of a certain age!).  His demeanor is very appealing and I think he's cute!  

Seeing Tessa in the clay studio made me finally understand what she's all about.  I've liked a lot of what she put down the runway this season but the studio made it all come together.

I'm a little conflicted about designers like Hesther vs. designers like Tessa.  They are both quirky but in opposite directions and I'm not clear about why Hesther's quirkiness is better received than Tessa's.  Color vs. a muted pallet doesn't seem enough.

I guess the one thing might be that Hesther's designs are a smidge thought-provoking whereas Tessa's are safe, as the judges have noted.

I do think Hesther edged her out.

• Love 10

I noticed the way the guest judge looked confused by Hester's design.  All the praise by the other judges seemed a mystery to her.  lol  And, the lady who told Christian that she would NOT wear  Hester's design.  I mean.....who would?  I can't imagine Nina in it. lol   It looks like something you could buy in a bag at a party supply store.  So, there may be an actual market. Just not the one that they would hope for. 

While I prefer Sabastian overall, I do think that Garo's design was the better last night.  I'm okay with any of them taking the win, IF their collection deserves it. 

• Love 16
11 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Yes! So nice that they've gone back to giving them time to create!

Also, no "Why do you think you should be in the final four?" 

I enjoyed the rather luke-warm praise for Tessa as they sent her on her way.

A big hallelujah to the bolded. Heidi's questions were always so cringe-making and sometimes borderline cruel.

• Love 21

Designs by Venny and Lela will be included in a charity fashion show this weekend in Dallas. Both dresses were shown on a local morning show today. Lela’s dress was a long sleeve with a shear print (it reminds me of an Uli dress) that was cinched with what was clearly a ripoff of one of Garo’s corsets. Venny’s dress was a sexy black dress with long sleeves and short skirt. No photos available, but maybe they’ll post on social media later. Apologies if this should be in a different thread, but I wasn’t sure where this belonged. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, carrps said:

A big hallelujah to the bolded. Heidi's questions were always so cringe-making and sometimes borderline cruel.

and then the even more cruel question: "Who do you think should go with you to fashion week?"

Like WTH? Mean kid playground stuff.

• Love 21
10 hours ago, Whodunnit said:

I predict that Hester''s collection will be the most colorful and poorly sewn on the runway next week.

I remember the judges commenting a few times on how well Hester's clothes are constructed (like the, as my mom calls it, "up the butt" swimsuit). Though, whether or not it is actually well sewn, or well sewn as compared to Tessa, remains to be seen. I do agree with you that it will be certainly colourful.  And here I am using the term colourful in the same way that we describe art that does not make any sense and is kind of weird as interesting.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

I'm glad Tessa and her weird Grumpy Cat affect are gone. I totally understood her vibe with the whole wabi-sabi deal, but that doesn't translate into boring, poorly sewn clothing. Not hemming raw edges isn't imperfection - it's laziness. Thank goodness Christian told her about the pop color or the model would have been lost in the clay colored background. 

I can't imagine anybody wearing Hester's clothing short of some random tweens or those girls that dress like anime characters (Sailor Moon anyone?) . And I had to laugh at Cardi B saying she wouldn't wear the top (probably cos her big old fake boobies wouldn't fit). Her expression cracked me up, like she stripped down to the nitty-gritty (and Cardi B has worn some more eccentric stuff in the past). 

I'm rooting for Bishme, although I would be fine with any three of the guys winning (I'm on Team ABH - Anybody but Hester). They are all talented but Bishme is so humble. Just so long as I don't have to see Quirky Hester and her Cutie Pie beret anymore. 

• Love 18
5 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I must have completely lost my mind because I loved Cardi B’s hair. I wonder if she realized that it complemented Sebastian’s room, though. Or vice versa. 

I absolutely thought the same! Exact same color palette!

2 hours ago, Darian said:

After this show ends, I will need a daily dose of Bishme being his funny, delightful self and a daily pep talk from Thijin, who is apparently as kind as she is gorgeous and talented. She was so sweet to Hester. 

Thijin was so kind and caring! Bishme's mannerisms unfortunately remind me of a coworker I can't stand, yet still somehow I appreciate him. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I'm good with the final four, though of course we can expect a "surprise" elimination of one before the final runway.

This challenge was interesting and kind of innovative, but had built-in (pun intended) unfairness. Garo, Tessa, and Hester got what they wanted for their rooms, while Sebastian's designer clearly didn't understand or deliver what Sebastian wanted. I was proud of Bishme for telling his designer to get rid of the literal elements (the taxi door and sneakers and distressed brick walls), to her obvious confusion (because it's "the hood," right?).

Sebastian's dress was SO. HEAVY. If you're going for Greek goddess, wool is not the right choice. It could have been a fatal error.

I thought Bishme's dress was beautiful and embodied his vision.

Garo's was fun and lovely. I'm not sure it was my favorite, but the man can make a damn dress.

I liked Tessa's idea and her room, but the garment was just too little, too late.

Hester's was... Hester. Her model, though! Could any model be better? She is amazing!

As stated above, I appreciated that it was at this stage that the judges reviewed the contestants' bodies of work on the show in making decisions.

OMG I adore Hester's model...she is one of my all time favorite models to ever be on the show!! 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, bombast said:

Hester Sunshine = Silly … 

Says the Bergdorf Goodman lady.

Hester's style reminds me as "The Last Harajuku" (hey there, Tom Cruise) except there's never a crowd of other harajuku girls around her so she stands out as wth? Strange that she stayed all plaid at the great party/show. I was "What, no polka dot , paisley, or Plz Die to play against the plaid?"

ps

What does Cardi B add to a world that already has a RiRi, Nikki, and Fran Drescher?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, kirklandia said:

I was thinking of the Ben E King/Drifters "Rose in Spanish Harlem"

(The Sixties strike back!) Sorry didn't read whole post, but this picture was the "album" I actually owned!

image.png

Edited by Eulipian 5k
double image
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, millennium said:

FWIW, I think both Tessa and Hester should have been eliminated.  Their work, similar in different ways for being unfinished, unimaginative, etc., is equally bad.   Where others regard Tessa as a bitch, I see her as someone who has probably had to scratch and claw for any recognition or break she ever got.  Short, kind of mousey,  I can understand why Tessa found Hester so galling.   Both have very little talent, but Hester managed to bedazzle the judges with her "fugitive from Candyland" persona, while Tessa had only her work to speak for her.   It must have been crushing to be sent home while Lunette gets to carry on.

I so agree...Hester's stuff would appeal to Katy Perry and 12 year olds. I'm baffled by all the praise she gets from the judges. The woman from Bergdorf's nailed it. I'm sure she was in disbelief that this designer had made it this far and that PR judges were so in love with her stuff. Oh Nina...what has happened to you??? 

• Love 20

I am sorry, but none of those rooms looked great. Some of the designers had some really grand ideas, that really weren't achievable in a day and I did expect some cutbacks, but the results were pretty disappointing. Garro wanted robot arms dressing his model, and got a few discount glory holes?

If they had made some effort on the lighting at least, but there was no atmosphere and you could tell everything was artifical and/or cheap. Some of the spaces were just too big for the amount of stuff in there - Tessa could have done with half the floorspace to give it a more realistic, crammed, pottery studio feel. There are 100 home makeover shows that work with little budgets and get the result looking allright on camera with some clever accessories and lighting.

The finalists are ok by me, but I am not really that invested into who wins this anymore.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, kicksave said:

I so agree...Hester's stuff would appeal to Katy Perry and 12 year olds. I'm baffled by all the praise she gets from the judges. The woman from Bergdorf's nailed it. I'm sure she was in disbelief that this designer had made it this far and that PR judges were so in love with her stuff. Oh Nina...what has happened to you??? 

Honestly. One of Nina's primary go-to's was "too juvenile" "too junior."

• Love 14
(edited)
3 hours ago, terrymct said:

Nina praises Hester's work, yet says Garo's veers into costume territory.   

That's mind blowing.  Hester's work is so costume-y it could make a convention full of cosplayers suggest she's gone too far.

Garo always does a corset...every challenge he has done a corset...I remember in past PR seasons designers were criticized and sometimes sent home for doing the same thing over and over again. His entire garment in every challenge is designed around a corset. What has happened to the critical aspect of this show? 

Edited by kicksave
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Darian said:

I could see any of the men winning, but Garo's had the lowest lows, I think. His tendency toward costume-y should make for an interesting collection

The judges have been hot and cold with Garo over the season so I don’t know which way they’ll go with him in the finale. Although I agree that sometimes he veers into costume territory, that might work for him in the final runway because that’s when the judges want drama and a more over the top show (as opposed to just clothes, which is what Tessa would have inevitably done again).

1 hour ago, Angeleyes said:

Lela’s dress was a long sleeve with a shear print (it reminds me of an Uli dress) that was cinched with what was clearly a ripoff of one of Garo’s corsets.  

To be fair, Garo didn’t invent corsets. He isn’t the first and he certainly won’t be the last to use them. IIRC there was a challenge last season about using under wear as outer wear where the designers all had to incorporate visible corsets into their designs (most of them failed miserably at that particular aspect of the challenge). I’m pretty sure they showed examples of modern versions of corsets in fashion too, like Jean-Paul Gaultier. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, hula-la said:

I remember the judges commenting a few times on how well Hester's clothes are constructed (like the, as my mom calls it, "up the butt" swimsuit). Though, whether or not it is actually well sewn, or well sewn as compared to Tessa, remains to be seen. I do agree with you that it will be certainly colourful.  And here I am using the term colourful in the same way that we describe art that does not make any sense and is kind of weird as interesting.

Hester's designs well constructed.......well...I'm not as informed in fashion as Nina, but, based on what the tv has shown, I do NOT think those items are well constructed. IMO, Nina is reading a script or lying for the hell of it.   I think that I could do better and the last thing that I made with the help of my great grandmother was a basic dress when I was 8 years old.  I think it looked much better than Hester's and not much different from Tessa's basic designs.  lol  

• Love 9

I know we don't all agree on this but I still don't get it...

Garo has a longstanding career in fashion AND a storefront for his clothing/costumes/corsets AND celebrity clientele AND has had magazine spreads and ad campaigns AND has been on TV shows before. 

So what exactly is he doing here?

• Useful 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 17
14 hours ago, little black cloud said:

Hester, don’t be such a goddamn try-hard. I mean, she changed her glasses between Mood and the workroom. 

That could have been editing though. Do we know for sure that they go straight to the workroom from Mood?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I'm good with the final four, though of course we can expect a "surprise" elimination of one before the final runway.

This challenge was interesting and kind of innovative, but had built-in (pun intended) unfairness. Garo, Tessa, and Hester got what they wanted for their rooms, while Sebastian's designer clearly didn't understand or deliver what Sebastian wanted. I was proud of Bishme for telling his designer to get rid of the literal elements (the taxi door and sneakers and distressed brick walls), to her obvious confusion (because it's "the hood," right?).

Sebastian's dress was SO. HEAVY. If you're going for Greek goddess, wool is not the right choice. It could have been a fatal error.

I thought Bishme's dress was beautiful and embodied his vision.

Garo's was fun and lovely. I'm not sure it was my favorite, but the man can make a damn dress.

I liked Tessa's idea and her room, but the garment was just too little, too late.

Hester's was... Hester. Her model, though! Could any model be better? She is amazing!

As stated above, I appreciated that it was at this stage that the judges reviewed the contestants' bodies of work on the show in making decisions.

They usually announce in this last episode whether there will be an elimination and have two people competing with each other and two safe. It would be all kinds of wrong to spring that on them during fashion week. I think they included Hester so they didn't have an all-male designer line up.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Emkat said:

Garo has a longstanding career in fashion AND a storefront for his clothing/costumes/corsets AND celebrity clientele AND has had magazine spreads and ad campaigns AND has been on TV shows before. 

Trying to take things to the next level. I wish they had more designers who have already had some success, I think it would make for better work and better competition. Maybe a separate show for folks just starting out?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, kicksave said:

I like some of Hester's stuff, but the competition constraints seem to have really gotten to her - with five months and 10 grand, she will have no excuses. I expect her to dazzle me.

I was floored when the parameters were announced - can't wait to see what they all come up with! Really looking forward to Christian's visits - I vividly remember Tim Gunn's visit to Christian's postage stamp-sized New York apartment during his season. I nearly teared up when the designers visited his gorgeous atelier in a previous episode - he's come so far!

• Love 20
4 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

BecauseIsaidso, I truly gave up on Project Runway after probably season 5. Couldn't even hate watch it anymore. This go-round feels a lot more like seasons 1 2 and 3. Not too much producer inspired drama, designers that are witty and charming and talented with some snark and pettiness mixed in. I suggest you give this episode a try. I think most of us on this forum that follow the show agree that pretty much the best and most talented designers are in the finals.

Agree that this season feels much more like the previous Bravo years (which makes sense, lol)  and can't say this enough - with five months and 10 grand, these collections better be stunning!

• Love 13
15 hours ago, Thumper said:

I was concerned that CardiB (sp?) was going to influence the judging.  Not sure why she was there, except she is a client of Christian's.

The actual guest judge seemed qualified and had some knowledgeable comments.  I hate it when they have some actress or movie star judge, especially the finals.

Yeah I am sure that if I was a designer I would be THRILLED to have a former stripper (who is currently on trial for attacking a woman and beating her) judge my life's work.  

They really should not have had her on, it cheapened the show for me.

39 minutes ago, Emkat said:

Kicking ass!  

He is crazy talented, so I am not surprised he is on this show.  Having a store doesn't disqualify you.

As much as I love him, I still want Bischme to win.  Or Sebastian.  Or maybe I do want Garo to win.  It is really hard to pick!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, kicksave said:

Garo always does a corset...every challenge he has done a corset...I remember in past PR seasons designers were criticized and sometimes sent home for doing the same thing over and over again. His entire garment in every challenge is designed around a corset. What has happened to the critical aspect of this show? 

I'm no huge Garo fan, but I didn't find his clothes to all be look-alikes. Just because they were all corsets doesn't mean they were all the same.

22 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've seen Sebastian's dress before.   Can anyone help me with the reference I'm thinking of?

It reminded me a bit of Leanne Marshall's work. Similar silhouette, different fabric and technique.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The judges have been hot and cold with Garo over the season so I don’t know which way they’ll go with him in the finale. Although I agree that sometimes he veers into costume territory, that might work for him in the final runway because that’s when the judges want drama and a more over the top show (as opposed to just clothes, which is what Tessa would have inevitably done again).

To be fair, Garo didn’t invent corsets. He isn’t the first and he certainly won’t be the last to use them. IIRC there was a challenge last season about using under wear as outer wear where the designers all had to incorporate visible corsets into their designs (most of them failed miserably at that particular aspect of the challenge). I’m pretty sure they showed examples of modern versions of corsets in fashion too, like Jean-Paul Gaultier. 

Of course corsets aren’t Garo’s invention, but his corsets do have a certain look that is unique to him. That’s why I wish I could share a photo of this dress, because it was obvious that Lela at least took inspiration from Garo’s work. 

14 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

I really hope they don't do a "surprise" elimination and have a final 3. I know they've done this before but, ugh, imagine doing all that work for months and then not even getting to show it. It's really an awful thing to do to someone.

The "eliminated" designer usually still shows at Fashion Week though.  They are just not part of the televised show or up for the win.

• Love 3

I'll be succinct and to the point. Tessa's garment was ugly. Bye, girl. It was your time to go. Can't wait to see Sebastian and Bishme duke it out in the finale for the win. It's going to be one of them as the last man standing. As it should be.

• Love 8

When I saw Tessa's collection of designs, wow, I just thought....sad. Like she wants to design for Handmaid's Tale. Imagine a runway show of sad Puritan ladies.

• LOL 9
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:
  11 hours ago, kirklandia said:

Cultural literacy check.

Brando doesn't know what wabi-sabi is? And Tessa doesn't cite it as her design aesthetic until now?

Tessa did mention wabi-sabi many times in her talking heads. I don't know whether it came up when talking to the judges -it wasn't shown but she seems like somebody who would have kept defending her idea.  Her work was not a great example of it but it makes sense that she would have grown up with it as a concept, if her mother was a ceramicist.

That BRANDON would never have heard of it is kind of shocking.  It's a basic idea in Japanese art and design and something I'd expect someone who'd gone to art school to know.

4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

BOTH of them owe a debt of gratitude to the song "Spanish Harlem", first recorded in 1960.

There is a rose in Spanish Harlem
A red rose up in Spanish Harlem
It is a special one, it's never seen the sun
It only comes out when the moon is on the run
And all the stars are gleaming
It's growing in the street right up through the concrete
But soft and sweet and dreaming

Aretha Franklin also had one of her bigger hits in the 70's with it.  But I'm not sure younger people would know it.  I was surprised that Bishme didn't acknowledge Tupac.

Thrilled about five months and ten thousand dollars for the finale collections!  Finally we might see some decent stuff again!

• Love 4
(edited)
31 minutes ago, dleighg said:
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've seen Sebastian's dress before.   Can anyone help me with the reference I'm thinking of?

or perhaps Kini's umbrella dress

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/545005992390473950/

Anna McCraney's tulip dress (she won season one of The Fashion Show in 2009):

https://www.ifashionnetwork.com/anna-mccraney-packs-the-fashion-show-in-a-trunk/

Edited by ratgirlagogo

I can't stand Hester's work, but at least her runway show will be entertaining. It funny, when Hester's model was first posing in room, I thought, wow that dress is great! Then I realized it was the model's own dress! LOL Usually the models show up in very basic clothing, so the dress was unexpected. 

Garo's dress and room were my favorite, but it's always a problem when you hand your ideas over to somebody else and let them make it. Communication is key, which is why Sebastian had so much problem. But he did speak in Spanish. i just don't think he had any idea what ancient Greece looked like. Bright yellow would never look right, no matter how many columns and mirrors were there. Also the big garish flowers looked out of place. I liked the look of his dress, but it would have been hell to wear. 

I almost liked Tessa's top, but i couldn't really see it clearly. Then the model took the top off and there was a total mess underneath. I knew she was out, because the judges would always rather see an interesting show than a minimalist one. 

Why aren't they showing at fashion week? That was the one thing that the old PR had going for it. I presume they have invited all sorts of influential people since they seem to have the budget, but still, it seems a shame. At least the winner gets a LOT of money. 

I have really enjoyed this season. Lots of two day challenges, and I like Brandon and Christian. Nina is Nina, but I do like Karli as hostess. 

• Love 6

Omigosh. I'm only 30 minutes in & I don't want to be spoiled. I have an impending sense of doom for all the designers except Garo. The rest of them are stressing. me. out. The prospect of public humiliation is driving me to day drink.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1