Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

I went to a wedding recently that has Joy written all over it. It was casual, at a barn, sort of the wildflower rustic chic look. Very laid back and very nice. 

The bride wore a short sleeved, tea length, lace covered dress and cow boy boots. Groom wore a more casual suit jacket and dressier khakis. No tie. Bridesmaids wore long sleeve chambray shirts with tea length floral skirts, a wide belt, boots. All the ladies had floral wreaths in their hair. Buffet dinner was all kinds of BBQ - beef, pork, chicken, sausages, tons of sauces, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, etc. The cake was a lot like Jinger's naked cake, and they also had a shortcake bar so you could make your own strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, lemon, etc. shortcake. It was beautiful, fun, and I wish I'd thought to do all that when I got married.

This couple is educated and stylish, just very laid back Pioneer Lady meets Skip and Joanna. They didn't want a bunch of satin and tuxedos, but the did it right, so it didn't look like a cheap, slapped together Pinterest fail.

If Joy lets Jinger or Jana steer her wedding, she could have a really nice, simple, laid back day. Just don't make Jana try to make a miracle out of clearance rack dresses, and please don't call Sierra.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Doesn't that show too much of your clavicle for an orthodox Duggar marrying into an apparently equally orthodox nutburger family?

I'd think Jana would have to sew napkins into the neckline.... Although maybe Joy could just wear an infinity scarf.

Jessa's neckline was this low, if not even showing more skin due to the slightly scooped neckline. I think that to the sweetheart is perfectly acceptable. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jessa's neckline was this low, if not even showing more skin due to the slightly scooped neckline. I think that to the sweetheart is perfectly acceptable. 

Yeah, I've been vaguely thinking that. I remember being surprised by it at the time! ....I guess it's okay for one day in your life -- when you'll have a thousand people (plus the tv audience) looking at you....Just not on any other day at the supermarket ... or the beach. 

I do like that dress. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

If Joy lets Jinger or Jana steer her wedding, she could have a really nice, simple, laid back day. Just don't make Jana try to make a miracle out of clearance rack dresses, and please don't call Sierra.

Sierra was tutoring Joyless on the fine art of event coordinating. I bet you ten pounds of tater tot casserole she's gonna be all over this.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm thinking something like this since she recently has been getting in touch with her feminine side.

41f2fe4f088371386707afb808b9519d.jpg

I was just thinking a square neckline like that would suit Joy.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

And maybe a hairstyle like this.

9ac470464ea1a7a4f936e1faf8b9ed8c.jpg

I love it, but it's too formal for what is likely to be a pretty shabby chic (emphasis on shabby) wedding. She'll be lucky to have her hair curled. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I love it, but it's too formal for what is likely to be a pretty shabby chic (emphasis on shabby) wedding. She'll be lucky to have her hair curled. 

I don't know. I love the hair too, but I actually think it could go with many styles of wedding, including shabby chic..... It just wouldn't go with Duggars, though, I expect. Too sophisticated for their dimness to appreciate. Too bad, too, because I can imagine something like that looking very pretty on Joy.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Jeeves said:

If Joyless wants to follow her sisters' wedding examples, she has two choices: the Jill/Jessa cattle call event complete with crappy dresses, beat-up sandals or bare feet, and melting-ice-cream-parking-lot reception, or Jinger's much nicer dresses and pleasant indoor reception. (The Big Wall o' V excepted but nothing's perfect.)

I think Jeremy, perhaps backed up by his mom, had a big hand in raising the level of his wedding from the Duggar dumps to something much nicer. I also think Jinge was dee-lighted and completely on board. 

I suspect that since Austin's a young guy who grew up in the same world that Joyless did (minus the TLC camera crews), it's gonna be up to Joyless. Will she buck the ostentatious modesty model so beloved of her mother (take a dress and tack on obvious and ugly "modesty" pieces) or will she find a nice dress that's already designed and cut to cover all the necessary bits?

I loved Jessa's dress and she wore it the way it was designed.(I think she was barefoot as well). Only Jill had the modesty pieces and I don't think they will go there again. 

We talked about this before, but I tend to think her salary (from being on tv) goes into some kind of family trust. If so, she will have to plan a wedding with JB and Michelle holding the purse strings. I agree that since Austin grew up in the same world as Joy his parents won't be much help. 

Jessa's wedding and even more so Jill's wedding reflected the way their parents wanted the wedding. (Since it costs money see above.) Jinger's probably bent more towards Vuolo sensibilities.  This wedding will probably be more Duggar. 

3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I don't know. I love the hair too, but I actually think it could go with many styles of wedding, including shabby chic..... It just wouldn't go with Duggars, though, I expect. Too sophisticated for their dimness to appreciate. Too bad, too, because I can imagine something like that looking very pretty on Joy.

There was an episode of 19 Kids when all the girls got their hair styled. Maybe prepping for Jill's wedding? They put Joy's hair up and the poor girl looked like a deer in the headlilghts. She has the thickness to do awesome up-dos. If fundies could do wonders with Jinger's scraggly mess, they can French braid and coiff up Joy under her veil. 

I found the still shots. Of course she smiled. She's trained to, but her first reaction when filming was distaste. 

285703b8fe3a9bae666ca44e746e0396 (1024x1024).jpg

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

There was an episode of 19 Kids when all the girls got their hair styled. Maybe prepping for Jill's wedding? They put Joy's hair up and the poor girl looked like a deer in the headlilghts. She has the thickness to do awesome up-dos. If fundies could do wonders with Jinger's scraggly mess, they can French braid and coiff up Joy under her veil. 

I found the still shots. Of course she smiled. She's trained to, but her first reaction when filming was distaste. 

Maybe the polka-dot dress is making her more open-minded. lol

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Catlyn said:

modest-wedding-dresses-under-500-XdnT.jpmodest-wedding-dresses-under-500-RPUE.jp

Either one of these dresses could be modest. Actually, I just put the second one in because of the "Duggar" sandals.

They're so full of shit with their somersaults and shenanigans about what difficulties they go through finding and/or reconstructing modest wedding dresses. There are plenty of modest wedding dresses out there and always have been, even in the era of all-strapless all-the-time.

I'm sure all the dumb-as-dirt Duggar daughters believe the arrogant family myth, but anybody who looked would know that plenty of dresses that cover things have always been on the market and always will be, because some women will always want them, for various reasons.

I'm sure that for Joy they'll show another far-afield trip after one of those impossible-to-find "modest" dresses, with about three million family members in attendance in the boutique at the magic moment of actually finding one. And some kind of stupid last-minute Jana sewing project involving tacking old slips around the hem of the bridesmaids' dresses and/or stitching dinner napkins into Meee-chelle's low-necked MOTB mess that she'll have to have fixed lest her clavicles defraud the masses (That'll be the day ... -- but of course she'll have to buy a bare one and have Jana fix it because all available MOTB dresses are also immodest).

I think the Vuolos held them back from some of this for the last wedding -- they would have been too embarrassed among their likely slightly less idiotic acquaintance, I suppose. But both the Joy and the Joe weddings will be full-on Arkansas Gothard-y nutburgers on both sides of the aisle. So the "Modesty! Modesty! America has sold its modesty to Satan and we alone can protect her from doom!" brigades will be in full operation.

Why in the world does anyone want to watch this phony crap? Are people really going to want to watch it now that we're at the brink of Duggar Wedding Umpty-Ump and Umpty-Ump Plus One? With Umpty-umpty-ump plus more potentially to come? For how many years now have they been basing entire "seasons" on Nuptials Of The Terminally Self-Righteous? I would think everybody'd be bored.

• Love 15

I think Joy's wedding will be the worst one yet. She doesn't seem to care about the details, so my guess is Sierra will do most of the planning. Jill, Jessa and Jinger are too wrapped up in their own lives to care and Jana is probably depressed over the fact that she's going to have to be a bridesmaid for her 19 year-old sister. There will probably be the same level of enthusiasm shown for this wedding as was shown for the courtship. As someone noted above, the only reason Jinger's was halfway decent was because of the Vuolos. 

• Love 10

The biggest roadblock for the Duggars and modest dresses is their average three month engagement.  They need to order the dress as soon as they begin courting.  I think Jessa and Jinger may have done so.   We can find dozens of dresses, but many or most need to be ordered with a four to six month delivery time not including alterations.  Even paying for rush service, they may not be able to get the dress they want within the time they want.

• Love 4

I don't give Jinger that much credit nor the Vuolos. To me, her wedding was styled, photographed, and staged for TLC and People (or whatever magazine published the spread). THey needed to drum up interest among their young female fan base by giving them an aspirational wedding. TLC was heavily invested in the wedding with the number of episodes and the time span they spent on it overall. 

I think if Joy is going to carry a season or more of Counting On, her wedding will have TLC all over it - think barns, candle chandeliers, wildflowers. Otherwise, parking lot (or big field at camp) and crackers.  

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

The biggest roadblock for the Duggars and modest dresses is their average three month engagement.  They need to order the dress as soon as they begin courting.  I think Jessa and Jinger may have done so.   We can find dozens of dresses, but many or most need to be ordered with a four to six month delivery time not including alterations.  Even paying for rush service, they may not be able to get the dress they want within the time they want.

The main issue with ordering dresses is the alterations, and a dress with sleeves, in addition to needing more fabric and skill to construct,  is harder to alter than a strapless one (part of the reason the bridal salons push strapless, IMO).  Of course, the Duggars aren't known for their meticulous tailoring in their everyday life, so who knows whether they'd even fork over the cash for that?

And, of course, as anyone knows, you can have your wedding gown made for a fraction of what it costs to buy, and, if any of the Duggar girls were really concerned about modesty, it would be far easier to hire a dressmaker to make a custom gown, tailoring it as she goes.  However, this would preclude getting a freebie from a bridal shop, so its not going to happen.  It also precludes the stupid episode where the Duggars descend en masse on a bridal shop, complain about the modesty of the gowns on display and then try on multiples in hopes of getting enough footage for an episode.

Another option would be to shop the sale racks at bridal shops that cater to Orthodox Jewish brides who have stricter modesty criteria than the Duggars (many won't show their elbows).  Kleinfeld's, where Michelle insisted on wearing the stupid modesty panels, for example, has an entire section devoted to Orthodox brides where any of the Duggar girls could find something right off the rack that would be more than suitable.

• Love 13

Apparently the flannel shirt over the wedding dress is a big trend in shabby chic and rustic weddings, and it screams Joy. Along with a side braid and cowboy boots, of course. The bridesmaids can wear oversized flannel shirts with a ribbon tied around the waist. 

abb35257e428a367b4ea76993f86de6a.jpg

7-gorgeious-and-classy-bridal-flannel-dresses-4.jpg

il_fullxfull.1177452305_pstz.jpg

23 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Maybe it's because I'm from a Midwestern city and not the rural South, but that just looks dumb to me.  On the wedding shows, I cringe every time a bride comes in to shop for a dress wearing the cowboy boots she wants to wear underneath it.  Usually the bride claims she wants a dress that 'matches' them.  Honey, no wedding gown ever 'matched' a pair of cowboy boots.

I'm rural South and that's about the tackiest thing I've seen in a long time. 

27 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Apparently the flannel shirt over the wedding dress is a big trend in shabby chic and rustic weddings, and it screams Joy. Along with a side braid and cowboy boots, of course. The bridesmaids can wear oversized flannel shirts with a ribbon tied around the waist. 

abb35257e428a367b4ea76993f86de6a.jpg

il_fullxfull.1177452305_pstz.jpg

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I can picture the wedding now.  The bride and groom will hand out complementary bug spray and, instead of a wedding cake, they'll have S'mores.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

The main issue with ordering dresses is the alterations, and a dress with sleeves, in addition to needing more fabric and skill to construct,  is harder to alter than a strapless one (part of the reason the bridal salons push strapless, IMO).  Of course, the Duggars aren't known for their meticulous tailoring in their everyday life, so who knows whether they'd even fork over the cash for that?

And, of course, as anyone knows, you can have your wedding gown made for a fraction of what it costs to buy, and, if any of the Duggar girls were really concerned about modesty, it would be far easier to hire a dressmaker to make a custom gown, tailoring it as she goes.  However, this would preclude getting a freebie from a bridal shop, so its not going to happen.  It also precludes the stupid episode where the Duggars descend en masse on a bridal shop, complain about the modesty of the gowns on display and then try on multiples in hopes of getting enough footage for an episode.

Another option would be to shop the sale racks at bridal shops that cater to Orthodox Jewish brides who have stricter modesty criteria than the Duggars (many won't show their elbows).  Kleinfeld's, where Michelle insisted on wearing the stupid modesty panels, for example, has an entire section devoted to Orthodox brides where any of the Duggar girls could find something right off the rack that would be more than suitable.

You are so right!  My sister made my wedding dress, and it had a super high neckline, long sleeves, and was floor length.

It was the 70's, so it was stylish for the time.  And, I'm not/never was fundie.  

They must know some skilled seamstresses, that make all their own families' clothes.  Doesn't Jana sew wonderfully?  I think I read that somewhere, so I'm not sure, but, with all their fundie friends, it seems a given that these brides would give one of the people that share their lifestyle, a shot at making a wedding gown.

1 hour ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Thank you for that. I grew up in Texas, I couldn't count the total number of pairs of cowboy boots owned and worn by my zillions of cousins, I've been to a few nice country weddings - and I think those flannel shirt and dress outfits are butt ugly.

• Love 7

I don't really have an issue with cowboy boots because they can worn more subtly, especially if the bride has a full length dress. This allows the bride to wear the shoes she likes without them having to be completely front and center, and she can show them off in some of the pictures. 

However, I'm not a fan of the flannel shirt over a wedding dress. It just takes away from the overall look, and I feel like there are better ways to incorporate flannel into a wedding. Weddings are a time to look (dare I say it...) sophisticated, but it doesn't mean everything has to be super formal. I think about it this way: will you cringe and be embarrassed to look back at those pictures in five to ten years? If so, then do some rethinking. Remember that flannels are something that you can wear on any day of your life. You might only wear a wedding dress once, if you are lucky. Don't ruin it by wearing something tacky. 

• Love 14

I'd never do it, but I don't haaate the second photo with the green plaid top and the ruffled skirt. Probably because it looks fitted and finished, what with the ribbon and being completely buttoned. It looks more like a dress as a complete outfit.

The other examples ... no. They just threw a flannel shirt on and tied the shirt tails in a knot. That's sloppy and tacky for a wedding.

• Love 3
(edited)

What's weird is that middle green shirt looks checkered and not flannel to me somehow. It looks odd, but if it makes them happy.  Also the group photo in particular looks they could take the shirts off and take pictures with just the dresses. Maybe they don't wear the flannel the whole time.   I also don't mind the idea of cowboy boots for a wedding. Northerner so I  wouldn't do it, but they might be comfortable.  The first dress Catlyn posted is gorgeous.  

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I kind of don't blame her for not liking this, because she was still a 16 or 17 year old tomboy and it's kind of a cross between old lady and fundy. Joy does have a beautiful head of hair though.

• Love 6

Add me to the list that thinks those flannel tops look awful.  It looks like the bride's getting ready to prank family and friends.  "This is my wedding dress....I'm kidding, I'm kidding!  I'll go and slip into my real dress."

• Love 10
(edited)

Well, we've just seen Joy in an updo with a flannel shirt, although it was 3 years ago. NOOOOO! 

Duggars might not like the semi mermaid that I first posited. So, I offer up this. It would need an updo, and the Duggars would probably require a veil. 

IMG_0996.PNG.a5dc55acf5c2f2e3f07f8a16267bbf45.PNG

Edited by Sew Sumi
because typos
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Lunera said:

I'm from the South, and that looks like a bad Southern Disney Princess. 

• Love 24
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, we've just seen Joy in an updo with a flannel shirt, although it was 3 years ago. NOOOOO! 

Duggars might not like the semi mermaid that I first posited. So, I offer up this. It would need an updo, and the Duggars would probably require a veil. 

IMG_0996.PNG.a5dc55acf5c2f2e3f07f8a16267bbf45.PNG

I think this dress is really pretty. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

I'm from the South, and that looks like a bad Southern Disney Princess. 

That's gotta be a wig, right??

And why not just go full Honey Boo Boo and wear Camo?

• Love 5

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I took a peek at Joy and Austin's registry on Wal Mart's website.  Oct 28 wedding date but a sly note that the actual date hasn't been announced.  And there is nothing on the registry?  I vaguely remember there being things on there...lots of grey stuff.  Or did I dream that?

If they need to repopulate the list, they should send Michelle and let her choose.  The majority of it will probably go to the TTH anyway.  They are due to replace the towels and sheets, I'm sure...it's been a few years since Jill and Jessa got hitched. 

• Love 2
On 5/3/2017 at 6:00 PM, Jeeves said:

Thank you for that. I grew up in Texas, I couldn't count the total number of pairs of cowboy boots owned and worn by my zillions of cousins, I've been to a few nice country weddings - and I think those flannel shirt and dress outfits are butt ugly.

My eyes are still burning from the pictures. NO WAY, would it ever be acceptable to wear taht to a wedding in the midwest. Looks like oh, on our way to the ho down, we'll just get married. WTF? I'm horrified by it all.

Too bad that TLC isn't doing cross over shows with Lori from Brides by Lori. She certainly would guide Joyless into a classy dress. Lori also detests the cowboy boots and wedding dress look. *I didn't say Monty because you know the Duggars don't believe in the gays and would probably harass Monty with their bible belting*

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I took a peek at Joy and Austin's registry on Wal Mart's website.  Oct 28 wedding date but a sly note that the actual date hasn't been announced.  And there is nothing on the registry?  I vaguely remember there being things on there...lots of grey stuff.  Or did I dream that?

If they need to repopulate the list, they should send Michelle and let her choose.  The majority of it will probably go to the TTH anyway.  They are due to replace the towels and sheets, I'm sure...it's been a few years since Jill and Jessa got hitched. 

I saw this one, but I don't know if it's "real".

https://www.amazon.com/wedding/joy-duggar-austin-forsyth-springdale-october-2017/registry/C4QVZKK525QH

(edited)

Well, if it's fake, a lot of people are duped; many items have been purchased. Lots of grey, though, like the other registry. If it's a fake, it's a very good one. 

eta: The date is set, they're just not publicizing it. Invitations have probably already been sent. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1