Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, kalamac said:

I just imagined Boob taunting JRod, all "I was going to let one of my boys court Nurie, but I just can't let that happen now."

I can hear Jill R crying all the way here in Chicago. She will never be able to get over not becoming fundie royality via a wedding.

• Love 6
On 4/17/2017 at 2:47 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Wow, I almost didn't recognize Joy in that last picture.  Her face is so thin.

She's definitely heading towards Jessa's pointy chin.  Wish they all would leave the black eyeliner alone.  There are plenty of other colors out there (even at Wal-Mart) especially when they have lighter color hair. 

On 4/18/2017 at 10:22 AM, lookeyloo said:

Wait a minute! Is she allowed to put her arms around his Neck like that?  A non heartening body part?

I noticed that too.  Hopefully it won't cause a stroke in MEchelle.

• Love 3

Well, I think we can rule out next weekend at the Family Camp as the wedding date. I forgot that Big Sandy comes up this week, ending on Saturday. Since Boob and Mechelle are keynote speakers, they'll have to be down there Wednesday for two speeches. Additionally, Boob speaks solo with the Maxwells on Friday morning. I know that he's not needed for wedding prep, and that they can keep the rest of the family home (or wherever) to do what's needed. I guess JD could still fly him home in time for a rehearsal dinner Friday night? 

Possible, but not very likely. 

ATI Conference Speaker Schedule: http://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/big-sandy/#schedule_hook

On April 19, 2017 at 11:01 PM, kalamac said:

I just imagined Boob taunting JRod, all "I was going to let one of my boys court Nurie, but I just can't let that happen now."

Or they could simply stop inviting them to their weddings.problem solved.

JRod was the biggest leak for Jinger's wedding, although there were several other smaller clues out there that gave away date and location. JRod just confirmed the date and the paps were on it.

I doubt she got an invite this time around.  

12 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Or they could simply stop inviting them to their weddings.problem solved.

Do they actually send invitations to all those thousand-plus people who show up or do they invite some and just send out an APB of some sort to all of the like-minded supergodly? ..... Hard to see them actually sending so many specific invitations. But I suppose Jana maintains a big email list there in her cubby, though, so it's just a matter of hitting "send' once or something.

• Love 4

This book was also written about 20 years ago. I'd love to know what Catholic apologists were cited and if they are considered relevant, then or now. A lot has happened in the Catholic Church in the meantime, most of it bolstering Ben's side. They must despise Pope Frank, even with his "no female priests" edict.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, I think we can rule out next weekend at the Family Camp as the wedding date. I forgot that Big Sandy comes up this week, ending on Saturday. Since Boob and Mechelle are keynote speakers, they'll have to be down there Wednesday for two speeches. Additionally, Boob speaks solo with the Maxwells on Friday morning. I know that he's not needed for wedding prep, and that they can keep the rest of the family home (or wherever) to do what's needed. I guess JD could still fly him home in time for a rehearsal dinner Friday night? 

ATI Conference Speaker Schedule: http://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/big-sandy/#schedule_hook

Maybe they could do it. It looks like a short flight. And really all JB & M do is - show up. Wonder if the Dillards will make it.

On 4/22/2017 at 9:42 PM, Sew Sumi said:

In their "Here are the KEYNOTE SPEAKERS!" blurb for Jizm Bob and MEEEEEchelle, they're sticking to the nonsense about how they equip their children and then release them to whatever their personal destinies are....

Why does this give me the image of a scrawny wet-feathered fledgling flopping painfully from a big messy nest onto the cold and inhospitable ground?

Or a whole crowd of big-old full-grown bald eagles crammed into a nest built for one or two and with their grownup beaks open begging for dinner?

Equip and release indeed. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

Equip and release indeed. 

"Pay no attention to the over one dozen adults behind the curtain who are totally  dependent on us!".

8 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

You know I think Michelle would push them out the door and then lock it shut if she could. It's JimBob who is applying the restraints.

I think Michelle loves controlling the kids, as long as she doesnt have to raise them or care for them every day. As long as the maid polishes her breeding trophies it's all good. Plus she gets a steady stream of  narcissistic attention from them, so she can't cut them off. 

Im pretty sure 3-4 of the kids would walk away right now if they had the means, though.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, JoanArc said:

"Pay no attention to the over one dozen adults behind the curtain who are totally  dependent on us!".

I think Michelle loves controlling the kids, as long as she doesnt have to raise them or care for them every day. As long as the maid polishes her breeding trophies it's all good. Plus she gets a steady stream of  narcissistic attention from them, so she can't cut them off. 

Im pretty sure 3-4 of the kids would walk away right now if they had the means, though.

interesting. which kids do you think would walk?

Remember when Josh was getting married and Michelle as all LEAVE AND CLEAVE, BUDDY. She'd get rid of as many kids as possible as fast as possible, if she could.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Remember when Josh was getting married and Michelle as all LEAVE AND CLEAVE, BUDDY. She'd get rid of as many kids as possible as fast as possible, if she could.

Except now the only way that she and JimBoob get that TLC money is as bit players in the show focused on their children. I expect that has a little something to do with the about face on the leave and cleave attitude.

• Love 5

I think Si, Josh and JD would leave, if given the opportunity. Jana clearly hates her life but she's too much of a doormat to do anything about it. Jenny and Jordyn will probably make a run for it once they turn 18. They've been pretty much ignored their whole lives so there's little incentive to keep them on the reservation.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think Si, Josh and JD would leave, if given the opportunity. Jana clearly hates her life but she's too much of a doormat to do anything about it. Jenny and Jordyn will probably make a run for it once they turn 18. They've been pretty much ignored their whole lives so there's little incentive to keep them on the reservation.

I agree with Josh, Jenny and maybe Jordyn. Absolutely Jenny. Si got a little tipsy on the Koolaid (not full blown drunk) during his brief courtship with Whatsherface AKA She Who Escaped, so I can't decide if he'd leave or stay.

I don't think JD would go anywhere. Somehow he flies under the radar (SEE WHAT I DID THERE - THE PILOT FLIES), but seems content. Jana is definitely too much of a doormat. She won't go anywhere without a groom dragging her away.

• Love 4

Shit, I know non Fundy typical kidults who would likely stay with that dog & pony show - at least until the money ran out. From the outside looking in it is a crazy, oppressed shit show. But from the inside looking out it may feel like a cozy, cushy ride compared to being an independent responsible adult.

• Love 15
8 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

interesting. which kids do you think would walk?

I think that changed almost immediately.  1) I really believed she honestly believed that Josh would be able to support his family without their help. I think the father swooped in when he realised Josh and Anna needed more help. 

7 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Except now the only way that she and JimBoob get that TLC money is as bit players in the show focused on their children. I expect that has a little something to do with the about face on the leave and cleave attitude.

2) She always needed the kids to do the show. It was 17 and counting back then, but the point was they were a family with a dozen and half kids.  Then there's the fact she was pregnant with #18 and expected to have at least 3 or 4 more.  When she stopped having kids, they needed those kids to show they were a huge family.

As to who would walk first, maybe the three boys immediately after the twins. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

I think Michelle just wanted Josh out of the house so he couldn't have as many opportunities to hurt his sisters and to have a wife so that (in her and JB's messed up thinking) his needs would righteously be fulfilled and he wouldn't go after his sisters anymore.  I don't think she minded JB supporting Josh and his family because it kept the golden child dependent on them but also gave them a reason for him not to live there anymore & she assumed Anna would "fix" Josh.

I feel like Joy and what's-his-name have been engaged for a really longtime (by Fundy standards, anyway).

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Joy looks horrible. Why is she starving herself? She was never overweight to begin with, she was just naturally curvier than her sisters.

For the wedding, of course. Jessa went a crash diet with Joy before her wedding. I remember her posting pictures of her diet food on Instagram. Jessa was always thin but compare pictures from the beginning of her courtship and her wedding and you can tell she lost quite a bit of weight. Michelle's dumbass probably made her join weight watcher's.

• Love 7
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:12 PM, Lunera said:

The starvation diet is making her look so haggard. I can't help it but feel so sorry for her because she will never get out.

Wow she really looks like Jessa here - especially noticeable in the chin.  Joy looks high, and Josie looks a little crazed.   Seriously, Josie looks like she's about to kill and then consume her prey.

• Love 13

Joy is starting to look anorexic. What is that kind of thinking when they start courting, waste away to nothing before you wreck your body with a gazillion pregnancies?

I keep forgetting she's courting, as I am forever forgetting Jill's preggers and Joseph is courting. They are all so very dull and boring.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Wow she really looks like Jessa here - especially noticeable in the chin.  Joy looks high, and Josie looks a little crazed.   Seriously, Josie looks like she's about to kill and then consume her prey.

You go, Josie.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, EAG46 said:

Maybe the idea is to get really skinny so she'll fit into the size 2 or 0 sample bridal gown and get it cheap?  

Are they freaking out about being seen naked for the first time?  I really think Gothard must push getting emaciated for the wedding day.  It probably feeds into the fairy tale aspect. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Are they freaking out about being seen naked for the first time?  I really think Gothard must push getting emaciated for the wedding day.  It probably feeds into the fairy tale aspect. 

This is just so weird to think about.  Is it so the guy can pretend he's doing it with an underage girl?  OMG.

• Love 3

I think like a lot of people in America they are weight conscious. Anorexia (while dangerous , unhealthy, and ill-advised) is actually mainstream for them. 

One thing our generation is always worried about is the chin. 

However skinny and fertile doesn't always go together.  People who are seriously over or underweight have more fertility issues. Guiliana Rancic was told (on her reality show) that gaining weight would help her chances of getting pregnant (right before she found out she had cancer). She didn't want to gain weight lest Hollywood think she is fat. Jinger was so skinny I wondered about that. Jill R takes that to the next level. 

• Love 3

Just about every woman I know tried to lose weight before her wedding day, so Joy and the rest of the Duggar girls get a pass from me for that. 

I think Austin & Joy's wedding night may be the most traumatic of them. I doubt Jeremy and Derrick were virgins and they probably were experienced enough to make it enjoyable. Ben probably was a virgin, but I bet he dated and had more access to sexually explicit material so he had an okay grasp on the whole thing. Austin and Joy have been raised that all sexual thoughts/acts/images are evil and neither have a clue what they're doing. Not a situation I'd like to be in on my wedding night.

• Love 7

Ben said Jessa was his first girlfriend, so he was as green as his pure, virgin bride. I also doubt Derick had sex before marriage, although he has 'fessed up to kissing a girl. Austin? He's just an older version of Ben, raised in a cult where dating just.isn't.done. 

Also, Austin made a point of mentioning Joy's "beauty" when enumerating the reasons he wanted to court her. What if he liked her curvy? I suppose she will gain some weight back after the wedding (and thensome after kids), but right now, Joy is as thin as I've ever seen her post-puberty. That also indicates to me that the wedding is sooner rather than later, since with her body type, she'd pretty much have to starve herself to keep the (lack of) shape she has now. I'm calling a late May (Memorial Day weekend, possibly?)/early June wedding. With Seewald speaking events at the end of June, we know those weeks are off the table. Add in Jill's pregnancy, and Joy is kind of boxed in to certain dates that hopefully won't coincide with when Johosephat wants to make his (likely rocky) entrance into the world. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

If it stems from a personal place (wanting to be "perfect" for your first time), it probably won't matter.  Joy would be her own biggest enemy in that regard ... not too mention being nervous about the unexpected. She probably only gets the old-fashioned "lie back and think of England, it's over soon" advice.

Maybe TMI, but from personal experience it doesn't matter how much weight you lose, you still see yourself basically the same. The first time a guy got me naked was after I lost something like 60 pounds (the two events were unrelated, insomuch as I didn't lose weight intentionally so I'd get laid) and even though I was/am at a healthy weight and people mention how different I look, I still at myself and sort of see how I was 60 pounds ago because I still feel like me. But I've never really felt defined by my weight or used it to measure my worth, so maybe that's part of it. I'm me either way. So objectively I can look at photos and see positive differences, in that moment all I could think was how I still thought I had a tummy (I do) and my thighs were big (they are).

Long story short is that he was an adult and didn't care and I very quickly got over it and we had a good time. But I hope for Joy's sake that it's not a wedding night thing, because at least had an idea of what to expect outside of my own body issues and dealing with that, inexperience on both sides, plus the expectation of how he thinks I should look ... that's a lot to deal with all at once. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, McManda said:

If it stems from a personal place (wanting to be "perfect" for your first time), it probably won't matter.  Joy would be her own biggest enemy in that regard ... not too mention being nervous about the unexpected. She probably only gets the old-fashioned "lie back and think of England, it's over soon" advice.

Maybe TMI, but from personal experience it doesn't matter how much weight you lose, you still see yourself basically the same. The first time a guy got me naked was after I lost something like 60 pounds (the two events were unrelated, insomuch as I didn't lose weight intentionally so I'd get laid) and even though I was/am at a healthy weight and people mention how different I look, I still at myself and sort of see how I was 60 pounds ago because I still feel like me. But I've never really felt defined by my weight or used it to measure my worth, so maybe that's part of it. I'm me either way. So objectively I can look at photos and see positive differences, in that moment all I could think was how I still thought I had a tummy (I do) and my thighs were big (they are).

Long story short is that he was an adult and didn't care and I very quickly got over it and we had a good time. But I hope for Joy's sake that it's not a wedding night thing, because at least had an idea of what to expect outside of my own body issues and dealing with that, inexperience on both sides, plus the expectation of how he thinks I should look ... that's a lot to deal with all at once. 

Well, you were probably young also, right?  I always think back to some wise writer's observation while writing about teenage girls, "little did we know while we were dieting and killing ourselves at the gym, our bodies were the best they ever would look and we should have been feeling good about having them" (paraphrase).  I've always had tree-trunk legs, even pre-puberty, and I've always hated them, but at least they were well shaped. 35 years and 45 pounds later, I wish they still looked that good.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, queenanne said:

Well, you were probably young also, right?  I always think back to some wise writer's observation while writing about teenage girls, "little did we know while we were dieting and killing ourselves at the gym, our bodies were the best they ever would look and we should have been feeling good about having them" (paraphrase).  I've always had tree-trunk legs, even pre-puberty, and I've always hated them, but at least they were well shaped. 35 years and 45 pounds later, I wish they still looked that good.

So true. I think it's a rare woman who says 'I look so much better in my 40s/50s then I did in my 20s'.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

I think Austin & Joy's wedding night may be the most traumatic of them.

I agree. At least with the other couples, you got the sense there was a strong enough physical attraction that any initial awkwardness would eventually be lost once hormones took over. Joy and Austin on the other hand? They're just so...platonic. I don't get a "dying to jump your bones" vibe from either one of them. They're like two polite strangers trying to make nice while being seated together because they're the only singles at a dinner party. I think this is by far the most "arranged" out of all the arranged marriages thus far. 

• Love 13
(edited)
39 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Well, you were probably young also, right?

Not really. I was older than Joy for sure.

It was ironic because I was the thinnest I had basically ever been and objectively I knew that. Subjectively, and it was probably normal, my first thought was that he was going to find fault.

The difference us because we both existed is normal society, unlike Joy, I wasn't juggling 18 different nervous-es, and unlike Austin, he wasn't expecting some Barbie fantasy. I think it was a pretty adult (activities aside) way to go about things.

It's the last thing I'd expect from Joy and Austin.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

Maybe just maybe since this is the most platonic more arranged seeming marriage, they won't rush to consummate the union and will instead take their time.  I hope they know that they have that option.

• Love 9

Austin is 22 and was 21 when he started dating. Ben was 17 when they met and married at 19. Both these boys had never really lived away from home except that Ben lived in the Duggars' pool house.

Austin is 23. I only remember this because he and Joy have about the same age difference (3 1/2 years) as my husband and , actually, looking at TLC's site, they're closer to 4 years apart. Difference being, when we married, he was 34 and I was 31 (between birthdays). Remember, they celebrated his birthday a few months ago with a drippy sundae from Marketplace Grill. The pic is from mid-December. 

images.jpg

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Maybe just maybe since this is the most platonic more arranged seeming marriage, they won't rush to consummate the union and will instead take their time.  I hope they know that they have that option.

Yet they're young and probably curious and horny. Joy has to be wondering what this incredibly awesome experience - that doesn't take too long - that she must be available for - is all about.

• Love 3

That might be what's up with underfed Jinger. 

Back to Joy, what do you think about this dress option? Modest (no alterations needed), yet she can show off her cowboy boots with ease (if she goes that route, and I think she'll do that or...heaven forbid...follow in Jilly's bare footsteps). 

m531f_large.jpeg

• Love 8

@Sew Sumi, I could possibly see Joy wearing that dress. It would work well with her boots. My only concern is that the neckline could look rather matronly, as if the cut was meant for an older woman. She is young after all, so I would like to see her look youthful on her wedding day without crossing the line and looking like a child. 

I do enjoy the dress speculation though, and here is another option. I feel like this dress is modest, yet simple and elegant. The natural waist and A-line silhouette would flatter Joy's figure.

52d9131c-e889-48d1-a6e6-ccae46e06f4f

5284f0ac-6df5-4ee5-aca3-accb696a4545.jpg

• Love 6

I could see Joy in the first one. However, the second one would need sleeve alterations, and I am vehemently against messing with dresses like that. Also, I think they're not fond of illusion fabric. Even the under bodice of the first dress would have to be built up to the neck like Jinger's was. Not the worst modesty alteration in the world, but an alteration nonetheless. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah. I think the first one is actually realistic for Joy to wear, whereas the second is not. I agree that alterations would take away from the dress. Honestly, I would be more curious just to see Joy try something like that on because it shows off her (potentially scandalous) curves just a little bit.

Edited by SnarkyShark
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

That might be what's up with underfed Jinger. 

Back to Joy, what do you think about this dress option? Modest (no alterations needed), yet she can show off her cowboy boots with ease (if she goes that route, and I think she'll do that or...heaven forbid...follow in Jilly's bare footsteps). 

m531f_large.jpeg

Doesn't that show too much of your clavicle for an orthodox Duggar marrying into an apparently equally orthodox nutburger family?

I'd think Jana would have to sew napkins into the neckline.... Although maybe Joy could just wear an infinity scarf.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

If Joyless wants to follow her sisters' wedding examples, she has two choices: the Jill/Jessa cattle call event complete with crappy dresses, beat-up sandals or bare feet, and melting-ice-cream-parking-lot reception, or Jinger's much nicer dresses and pleasant indoor reception. (The Big Wall o' V excepted but nothing's perfect.)

I think Jeremy, perhaps backed up by his mom, had a big hand in raising the level of his wedding from the Duggar dumps to something much nicer. I also think Jinge was dee-lighted and completely on board. 

I suspect that since Austin's a young guy who grew up in the same world that Joyless did (minus the TLC camera crews), it's gonna be up to Joyless. Will she buck the ostentatious modesty model so beloved of her mother (take a dress and tack on obvious and ugly "modesty" pieces) or will she find a nice dress that's already designed and cut to cover all the necessary bits?

I don't think Joy has the personality to buck the ostentatious modesty model. My bet is that they get married at the camp and Joy wears something tacky that goes with cowboy boots, while the "men" wear black jeans and cowboy plaid dress shirts with string ties. Their wedding night is spent in one of the cabins with the Lonely J Duggar boys hootin' & hollerin' around a campfire all night & they go to some tacky beach for a honeymoon.

• Love 12