Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

And another one flies the coup. Seems like all the wranglers are being married off. Who is next in line to pick up the slack with  Jana? I think the next group of boys will be around the corner. I wonder if Boob and Co. thought ahead for once all the help marries off...No. No I don't. They don't think about shit.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

And another one flies the coup. Seems like all the wranglers are being married off. Who is next in line to pick up the slack with  Jana? I think the next group of boys will be around the corner. I wonder if Boob and Co. thought ahead for once all the help marries off...No. No I don't. They don't think about shit.

they'll probably recruit another Tabitha Paine spinster type to help Jana.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Booey said:

Has anyone mentioned yet how much Austin looks like Steve Carell's 40-Year-Old Virgin character? I can't stop seeing it in every picture of him that comes up.

Ha!!!  I was just about to post that he reminds me of Michael Scott from the office! Great minds think alike. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Looks like the registry is real, and they used the date/place as placeholders. A FJ poster got this when she clicked on an item. If nothing else, the language gives them away. 

Oh, frabjous day! There's a bridal registry! Dances around with glee, quickly peruses the millions of items -- wait! What is THIS?

Joy had my grudging respect until the gift card section. She didn't ask for enough items to stock four households, her requests were fairly modest (well, the Bosch "food processor/blender" -- really? Buy a freaking Kitchen Aid with a couple of attachments and you'll use it a lot more) besides the power tools for her husband-to-be until I got to the gift card section.

Earth to Jill --- oooops, Joy: Why are you asking for cooking items at all when you are asking for close to $1000 of gift cards for restaurants? Really? Maybe this is a new thing, but I do not get the request for that dollar amount in gift cards. It seems KJB and J-Chelle must be falling down on the job; restaurant gift cards as a wedding gift is not "fiscally responsible". I could think of other things to spend $1000 on. Here's a thought: A mattress and box spring that is not pre-used would be a good start!

In the meantime, they'll get married when TLC and Daddy says they can. It's not October.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

What was this pic? It appears they took it down. 

It's still up. Joy and Austin are in front of a brick wall. Austin wearing a blue suit, white shirt and cranberry tie. Joy is wearing a blue dress with white polka dots and a ... you guessed it, a cranberry sweater. Both are wearing brown footwear. No caption.

There appears to be something behind Austin's foot. I can't make it out - resembles maybe a CD or a vent of some sort.

45 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

How weird that I can't see it, but it is the picture I was thinking of. I remember it because the occasion got Joy into a dress, which she despises. 

Especially since it's Jana's dress. Poor Jana had to give that dress up to Joy so she can be seen in pictures with her boo.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Especially since it's Jana's dress. Poor Jana had to give that dress up to Joy so she can be seen in pictures with her boo.

Can you imagine what's left in the "family closet" by now? I hope that Jana isn't forced into that puffy sleeved green monstrosity J-Chelle was so fond of.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

Can you imagine what's left in the "family closet" by now? I hope that Jana isn't forced into that puffy sleeved green monstrosity J-Chelle was so fond of.

And with Jinger gone they're all sitting around hungry wearing the same dirty clothes. Poor things.

• Love 9

So for their engagement dinner they had what I make for dinner when I go camping.  Some sort of marinated meat on the grill, foil pack potatoes and a veggie.  Glad this was such a special occasion for them.  ?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

So for their engagement dinner they had what I make for dinner when I go camping.  Some sort of marinated meat on the grill, foil pack potatoes and a veggie.  Glad this was such a special occasion for them.  ?

Did they actually use real potatos and fresh green beans? This is still light years ahead of the usual can dump and pickle graze.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Lady Edith said:

We have had this "special occasion" meal when our power goes out.  I do however substitute beef for venison. 

• Love 3

Side Dish: Green Beans

Ingredients:

Green beans

Olive oil

Salt & pepper

Directions:

Preheat olive oil in a cast iron skillet on the grill.

Place green beans in the skillet and cook until tender.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

This recipe is way too complicated for me! 

First of all I could not fit the can of green beans in the cast iron pan with the bottle of olive oil sitting in it.  I had to borrow a larger pan from a neighbor so they would both fit.  Well, I've been cooking it for two hours now but the can of beans doesn't seem to be getting tender.  

What am I doing wrong?!?  

• Love 22

Aw....count me in thinking that for those of their ilk, this is, indeed, pretty special. I do actually love venison, though very rarely get it, ad the "sides" are perfectly acceptable rustic fare, so I'd have probably enjoyed this meal quite a bit. Then again, there's not a lot of food I don't like, and probably would have enjoyed the heck out of a burger done out on the grill just as much as I might have enjoyed lobster thermidor or filet mignon with bernaise sauce and/or truffle butter....which I have had and enjoyed, both. But I'm just as much of a foodie peasant as otherwise :)

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Good god, water in mason jars?

Too bad it was water.  It would have been fun if someone had slipped some moonshine in those mason jars.

• Love 7

The menu looks a little sparse to me, being a festive occassion and night to remember forEVER:  no appetizers, no breads, no salads, no dessert, no sparkling grape juice (Champagne substitute), no napkins, no tablecloth, no flowers and candles on the table . . .

But, Joy was probably so impressed that he didn't serve the meal on paper plates. 

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 5

I don't think the meal is that bad. It isn't fancy, but it's healthier than chikenetti or tater tot cassarole, and actual meal instead of some kind of chintzy ice cream or relish bar. Not everyone wants a super fancy 7 course dinner. I think this suits Joy and Mr. Joy's personalities.

• Love 16

It looks like they ate on real plates with metal cutlery. No styrofoam plates and plastic forks. Good for them.

ETA: I'm not snarking on that meal. It looks way better than the casseroles of gunk that they ladle out at the TTH.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 8
38 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I don't think the meal is that bad. It isn't fancy, but it's healthier than chikenetti or tater tot cassarole, and actual meal instead of some kind of chintzy ice cream or relish bar. Not everyone wants a super fancy 7 course dinner. I think this suits Joy and Mr. Joy's personalities.

To me the funny part isn't that it's a somewhat lackluster menu.  It's that some idiot at TLC thought their meal was so *awesome* it deserved not only to have a story done about it, but a complete list of all three "recipes" merited inclusion.  Seriously, "salt then heat" is not a recipe.  Even Sandra Lee would be ashamed.

But I don't fault Joy and Austin for it.  They are not doing bad for being 18 and 22.  I was no gourmet cook when I was their age, that's for sure.

I do have to laugh at the look on Joy's face in that one picture (posted above by kokapetl) where she appears to be chewing, though. She looks like she just bit down on something she'd prefer to spit out ... sadly, I suspect it was a fresh green bean and having never encountered one before, she is appalled at it's flavor and texture.  Sigh.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

We don't know their personalities. Hers, maybe a little, and from what we've learned of her, she's pretty dim. 

3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Good god, water in mason jars? And I read the menu. Other than being venison, how damn bland.

I hate to tell you how many drinks I've had out of mason jars....including BBQ restaurants and shabby chic weddings! LOL.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

They killed Bambi. (that's what the article said)

How sweet and romantic. The couple that kills together, stays together.

And lives in a Unabomber style shack together.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Absolom said:

He apparently cooked.  I made note of that.

Austin didn't cook the meal.  Either this man is someone they know, or the meal was catered:

0 0 Joy.png

Counting-On-Joy-Engagement-Dinner-7.png

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Good god, water in mason jars? And I read the menu. Other than being venison, how damn bland.

Rather fitting, considering who we're talking about :D

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

She looks like she just bit down on something she'd prefer to spit out ... sadly, I suspect it was a fresh green bean and having never encountered one before, she is appalled at it's flavor and texture.  Sigh.

You're probably right!

I can't snark much on their menu choices, I honestly probably would have been happy with that. Maybe mostly cuz I love venison and don't get to eat it often, but I'm also not very fussy & that's similar to what Mr. Booey & I have done on several occasions for "special" dinners. (Except at home, not out on a rock somewhere.) To each their own- personal preference.

But what I DO have to say, is I never understood the sit on the same side of the table when it's just the two of them thing. Always weirds me out.

• Love 3