Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

59 minutes ago, Booey said:

But what I DO have to say, is I never understood the sit on the same side of the table when it's just the two of them thing. Always weirds me out.

Because, after engagement, they get to hold hands and have hand sex under the table.  

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Because, after engagement, they get to hold hands and have hand sex under the table.  

that, and because it is easier to film these "candid" moments once the cameras are blocked and they are rehearsed.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

In some nice casual places around here, the water/tea, etc.  in a mason jar is a "thing"

I know the Mason Jar as drinkware is a Pinterest thing. Doesn't mean I have to like it. ?

• Love 10

I read about the dinner & recipes on another site.  The leg humpers really gave them hell for killing deer.  They should have done something along the lines of Derick's birthday meal for Jill on their hike - containers of (fancy) foods in a backpack rather than hauling a grill, tables, chairs & a cooler of food up a mountain.  But it did look like he had help.  I would have rather had the takeout Outback dinner on the beach that Tori Bates had for her engagement meal or was that her courting meal? Do I even have the correct Bates girl? Lol.  I just love the beach much more than the mountains.  I guess the heat from grill warmed them up since it looked cold out there. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Mason jar drinkware is 'rustic chic'. Not really my cup of tea for a wedding, but it was an outdoor campground rehearsal, so it fit.

Thanks, RAZZLEBERRYPIE, "rustic Chic" sounds more accurate than "shabby Chic." I had never heard that expression before.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

Thanks, RAZZLEBERRYPIE, "rustic Chic" sounds more accurate than "shabby Chic." I had never heard that expression before.

Sort of like how Muffy referred to her bridesmaids dresses and wedding decor as "vintage"? She has no idea what "vintage" styles are , and I'm sure she'd have used another word if she knew that term also refers to wine.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Good god, water in mason jars? And I read the menu. Other than being venison, how damn bland.

I thought mason jars were still cool and trendy in the Pinterest world Aren't they? I heard tell of a wedding last summer that was pretty much all mason jars all the time. And the groom's mother who told me about it was pretty thrilled with that wedding. 

20 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

They killed Bambi. (that's what the article said)

How sweet and romantic. The couple that kills together, stays together.

Just like Bonnie and Clyde. 

7 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

You're probably right!

On the other hand, we could give her a break and assume that it was an especially stringy hunk of venison. I'd make a face over that -- should I keep chewing and try to swallow or spit out this he-man meat? 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

On the other hand, we could give her a break and assume that it was an especially stringy hunk of venison. I'd make a face over that -- should I keep chewing and try to swallow or spit out this he-man meat? 

Does venison need to be slow cooked for tenderness? Just wondering.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Almost 3000 said:

Pretty much like gamier beef with less fat, so depends on the cut and the prep/marinade, etc.

I really dislike Joy, but I can't find a lot of fault with their engagement dinner. They're outdoorsy and will run a campground. It suits them, and didn't have a ton of unidentifiable ingredients. Plus, they're young and broke, this is much more suitable for their budget than some fancy caterer plated dinner.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Almost 3000 said:

I've heard that it's supposed to be aged and then cooked quickly, for best results. But I've really only heard one family's opinion. 

I worked with a girl that grew up eating venison bologna & she loved it.  I've also read that people have donated their extra meat to soup kitchens which I think is a great idea.

IIRC, didn't the Duggars go deer hunting in one of the old episodes?  I'm thinking it was one of the girl's birthdays & they made a big deal out of getting up early, as usual.  Maybe it was Joy.  Maybe it was at the Forsyth camp. Anyone remember?

22 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Good god, water in mason jars? And I read the menu. Other than being venison, how damn bland.

They don't carry Martinelli's sparkling apple juice in Arkansas?

As most here have noted, "special" dinners around our house are a cut of meat we don't typically buy (filet mignon, for instance), the potato thing I make for holidays which should come with the number of a good cardiologist, and another vegetable we fix in a special way. (Dilled carrots are good.) Did they split a candy bar for dessert?

• Love 1

Joy, if you are reading, here's an idea when you have to start cooking inside the house. Everyone else, this is how simple things get at dinner at our house. ;-)

Frozen skinless chicken breasts (2-3, depends on how much your may-un eats)

1 tablespoon of olive oil +1 more

garlic powder to taste

glass baking dish (Pyrex-type)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the bottom of the baking dish. "Swirl" the dish a little so it's evenly coated. Lay chicken breasts inside. Drizzle top of chicken breasts with one tablespoon of olive oil, and sprinkle garlic powder over them. (We're really into garlic.) Bake for one hour.

The chicken will be fork-tender, delicious, and can either be eaten as-is with mashed or baked potatoes, or sliced for tacos, quesadillas, whatever you'd like. BTW, go for the frozen vegetables if you aren't sure about the fresh ones. The canned ones have a bunch of salt in them.

This concludes our "learned to cook with Betty Crocker and the Campbell's Soup cookbook" newlywed cooking lesson.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

Joy, if you are reading, here's an idea when you have to start cooking inside the house. Everyone else, this is how simple things get at dinner at our house. ;-)

Frozen skinless chicken breasts (2-3, depends on how much your may-un eats)

1 tablespoon of olive oil +1 more

garlic powder to taste

glass baking dish (Pyrex-type)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the bottom of the baking dish. "Swirl" the dish a little so it's evenly coated. Lay chicken breasts inside. Drizzle top of chicken breasts with one tablespoon of olive oil, and sprinkle garlic powder over them. (We're really into garlic.) Bake for one hour.

The chicken will be fork-tender, delicious, and can either be eaten as-is with mashed or baked potatoes, or sliced for tacos, quesadillas, whatever you'd like. BTW, go for the frozen vegetables if you aren't sure about the fresh ones. The canned ones have a bunch of salt in them.

This concludes our "learned to cook with Betty Crocker and the Campbell's Soup cookbook" newlywed cooking lesson.

Even easier, if you have a few dried herbs/seasonings lying around....I came up with this for my son when he was training for hopefully going to boot camp (who knew that they would feed them next to no protein there!?). Thin-sliced chicken breasts, sprinkle with generous shakes  of garlic powder, poultry seasoning, lemon pepper, and a little paprika. Season both sides well, then cook quickly for a minute or so on each side in nonstick pan over medium/medium high heat  with just a bit of nonstick spray or drizzle of olive oil, coconut oil,  ghee, or whatever works for you.  If breasts are cut a little thicker, finish in oven for a few minutes.

Also works well with sprinkles of curry powder, garlic powder, old bay, and some onion soup powder. Or make up your own mix...I just throw a bunch of seasonings on a paper towel, mix and taste, then adjust until I get balances I like.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I worked with a girl that grew up eating venison bologna & she loved it.  I've also read that people have donated their extra meat to soup kitchens which I think is a great idea.

IIRC, didn't the Duggars go deer hunting in one of the old episodes?  I'm thinking it was one of the girl's birthdays & they made a big deal out of getting up early, as usual.  Maybe it was Joy.  Maybe it was at the Forsyth camp. Anyone remember?

We have a few deer hunters in our family. We always have it butchered so that what we don't want/need can be donated. (Food pantries want commercial butchering for donations. Makes sense.) Everything just goes in the deep freeze. We always do a few roasts, stew pieces, lots of strips for jerky - one of my brothers in law makes amazing deer jerky - and then grind some up for sausage, chili, hamburger, spaghetti, etc. You do have to add some fat in anything ground, because venison is really lean. Never heard of bologna, but if I tell my husband, he'll get excited and add it to the list for this fall.

I know Jinger hit one with her car, and I think they did deer hunt or at least shoot bows once. 

I guess I can't get too outraged at a camp style meal, because I've been to so many rehearsals or engagement dinners, and to me the backyard BBQs, or pizza and wing buffets can be more fun than nice sit down plated dinners. Depends on the couple. I can't imagine Joy doing anything that involved cloth napkins or not chewing with your mouth open, so campfire sounds about right.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I guess I can't get too outraged at a camp style meal, because I've been to so many rehearsals or engagement dinners, and to me the backyard BBQs, or pizza and wing buffets can be more fun than nice sit down plated dinners. Depends on the couple. I can't imagine Joy doing anything that involved cloth napkins or not chewing with your mouth open, so campfire sounds about right.

My best friend had her rehearsal dinner at a pizza parlor. It was great fun!!

I live in Texas, so BBQ at receptions and rehearsal dinners are quite commonplace.

• Love 3

I'm not remotely a hunter, and I swear I'm not trying to stir shit up, but I think it's possible that that deer lived a better life than the cow that provided my last steak dinner.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

We have a few deer hunters in our family. We always have it butchered so that what we don't want/need can be donated. (Food pantries want commercial butchering for donations. Makes sense.) Everything just goes in the deep freeze. We always do a few roasts, stew pieces, lots of strips for jerky - one of my brothers in law makes amazing deer jerky - and then grind some up for sausage, chili, hamburger, spaghetti, etc. You do have to add some fat in anything ground, because venison is really lean. Never heard of bologna, but if I tell my husband, he'll get excited and add it to the list for this fall.

My brother-in-law hunts deer and he has the butcher turn the bulk of it into deer sausage, using a portion of venison and a portion of pork. Less gamier taste that way.  

Is Joy the one who always loved the outdoors?  I guess she'll fit right in with this guy's family.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I think that was the Bates original show United Bates of America on TLC, and maybe Alyssa? was the daughter. Back then the girl Duggars were still wearing long skirts and flip-flops, and kept more indoors. I remember thinking the Duggar girls wouldn't be allowed to something like that. 

I'm surprised the "leghumpers" gave them hell for killing the deer. I would most of their fans would be familiar and approve of the concept of hunting, (especially if they eat it). Who watches this show?  

• Love 3

I think it's (Disney's) Bambi effect.  

I've had pemmican made from venison.  It was fabulous, and if my co-worker who brought in his excess (very successful hunting season) had had more I would have taken it home....

Meat is meat.  If it's prepared safely and also remains edible, then why make a problem?

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Unless you're a vegetarian (I'm not), I don't understand judging someone who eats venison. (I haven't).

There are deer that hang out in my back yard from time to time. I love watching them, they are so beautiful and gentle. They don't even eat meat themselves, so I could never harm or est one. That said, I do est other meat, so I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

There are deer that hang out in my back yard from time to time. I love watching them, they are so beautiful and gentle. They don't even eat meat themselves, so I could never harm or est one. That said, I do est other meat, so I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

I understand, and I guess those of us who love animals, and yet still eat meat, each have to make the decision what we will accept as humane. 

• Love 6

My daughter calls me the only meat eating vegetarian she knows, meaning if I think too hard about what I'm eating I most likely will have to stop eating it. But there are a few meats I can't even get in my mouth at all including lamb and venison and from what I hear I'm missing out on some yummy food. And now I will gracefully bow out of this conversation because I have left over Shepherd's Pie waiting for me to eat tonight.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Cattle (beef) do not eat meat either. (Not trying to stir up trouble. LOL)

Deer are LOADED with ticks here in NE. It's becoming a huge problem.

The string beans in the Joy-Aus dinner are the frozen variety. You can tell by the uniformly-cut lengths and the bright green color. But at least they're not from a can.

• Love 3

We're in southwestern PA, and deer hunting really does help control the population. They're beautiful, but can be destructive - cause really bad car wrecks, destroy crops, eat decorative flowers, etc. 

Id never support people who hunt for fun, but if you're eating the meat, and especially if you're donating the portion you don't eat, I say go for it. Deer are usually a whole it healthier and killed more humanely than chickens or cows from factory type farms. 

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Kokapetl said:
On 3/21/2017 at 2:37 PM, drafan said:

Cattle (beef) do not eat meat either. (Not trying to stir up trouble. LOL)

Remember that crazy era when they did?

Yeah, wasn't Mad Cow Disease a great thing! Let's feed beef cows contaminated meat & bone meal...ugh. 

• Love 3
On 3/21/2017 at 2:52 PM, RazzleberryPie said:

We're in southwestern PA, and deer hunting really does help control the population. They're beautiful, but can be destructive - cause really bad car wrecks, destroy crops, eat decorative flowers, etc. 

Id never support people who hunt for fun, but if you're eating the meat, and especially if you're donating the portion you don't eat, I say go for it. Deer are usually a whole it healthier and killed more humanely than chickens or cows from factory type farms. 

Same here in upstate NY.  We always say it's not what you need to do IF you hit a deer with your car, but WHEN you hit one.  That being said, they are on our property frequently and I love watching the mothers with their fawns.  But many of our friends are hunters and eat the meat themselves or donate it to food banks.  If you don't cull the herds occasionally they animals can starve to death in a bad winter...a worse way to go IMO.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

That venison looks like a dried out, unappetizing mess.  Looks more like a turd.

It looks nothing like the grilled venison I had several years ago.   I really enjoyed it, however I would not have touched it if it looked like that.

32 minutes ago, DrFruitFly said:

I was watching an old episode of 19 Kids and Counting (Jessa's Wedding Prep) and who did I spot in the mix but good old Austin 

Of course he was there...lifelong family friends and all that...and I'm sure they were already matching him up with Joy.  

5 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

Of course he was there...lifelong family friends and all that...and I'm sure they were already matching him up with Joy.  

I've said all along that this was an arranged marriage. Remember, they had Smuggar betrothed when he was 14! There's probably been an understanding between Boob and Pa Forsyth for several years w/r/t this pairing. Duggars certainly get plenty of perks at the Family Camp in return for Boob getting it on teevee. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
On 3/23/2017 at 8:38 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

That venison looks like a dried out, unappetizing mess.  Looks more like a turd.

It was butchered (and cooked) by someone who had no idea what he was doing. Venison steaks look like beef steak when butchered correctly and meat properly cooked over a fire pit does not resemble coal (or turds). 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Nysha said:

It was butchered (and cooked) by someone who had no idea what he was doing. Venison steaks look like beef steak when butchered correctly and meat properly cooked over a fire pit does not resemble coal (or turds). 

Exactly