Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

I'm a little disappointed Austin and Joy went the Boob route to buy a house. I doubt they paid anything significant, because if they did they could've just bought something on their own. Jill's brand new house was under 200k, so a fixer-upper should be significantly less. It's a bummer none of these kids will ever be truly independent.

• Love 8
On 11/16/2019 at 10:29 PM, Madtown said:

Now this makes me question even more as to why Jessa, with 3 kids, is still in the 2 bedroom mold house?

Because it's likely paid for and I think she has said before that she likes it small because it's less to keep clean (as we all know that Jessa isn't really a clean freak).  I wonder if all kids get the first house for a 'good deal' and anything after is on them financially. 

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I'm a little disappointed Austin and Joy went the Boob route to buy a house. I doubt they paid anything significant, because if they did they could've just bought something on their own. Jill's brand new house was under 200k, so a fixer-upper should be significantly less. It's a bummer none of these kids will ever be truly independent.

Over the years it's become apparent that JB buys up properties like trading cards. And maybe he does so that when the time comes his kids can take one over when they're ready. Maybe he does so because he just likes collecting properties.  But if my parents had a selection of housing for me to choose from for a 'good deal' it's probably a whole lot easier going that route than buying off a stranger and going through the regular procedures. At least with JB owning it first they are probably well aware of any major issues with the property. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Wasn't JB's stated plan for the property is to have each of his married children build their own houses on so he could have his own little kingdom?

So far, only Joe (and maybe Smuggar in the guest house) live there. 

More construction stuff.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The house, before improvements, was valued at $105k. The land was valued at just under $60k.

Fun (or not so fun) fact: that side of Fayetteville, W. of the interstate especially but also S. of MLK Blvd, is considered less desirable property in general in the area.  

• Useful 8

If they paid $100K for the house, there should be a mortgage recorded soon too.

JB may be a pompous butthead, but I think he didn't stand in the way of his daughters marrying the spouses that suit them best. Jesse got a laid back guy, Jinger got the guy who got her to the big city, Jill got her missionary husband (that was probably the biggest disaster), and Joy got the hard working guy.  I think, except for Jill, the girls are all pretty happy with their choice of spouses .

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

I am a bit jealous of hard-working Austin and maybe even the adult Howlers.  They do seem to have carpentry skills.  And other home improvement skills.  My husband and I have to hire out most every single thing and it's expensive!

• Love 8
On 11/19/2019 at 9:55 AM, louannems said:

I am a bit jealous of hard-working Austin and maybe even the adult Howlers.  They do seem to have carpentry skills.  And other home improvement skills.  My husband and I have to hire out most every single thing and it's expensive!

I have to remind myself they are not (trade school ) educated licensed professionals when I start to think this way.  I'm OK with them doing more basic around the house type of repairs but when it comes to something major like plumbing & electricity (or cutting into a major outside wall like at Jessa's for the deck),  I definitely want professionals who have been properly trained in their trades.  

My sister & I are in the midst of getting repairs done on my mom's house for the potential buyer.  We have heard all kinds of horror DIY stories along the way.  Plus we have to show the work was done by licensed companies.  

I wouldn't want any part of my  house to be repaired by a 12 year old Duggar.

ETA:  its mostly the Duggars Construction I have a problem with.  I would have no qualms to have Chad Paine (married to Erin Bates) do work on my house.  His workmanship looks great from what  I've seen on TV. I don't think he's the type to take illegal shortcuts like the Duggs. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, SMama said:

JB claims Jason (yes, there is a Jason) is a licensed contractor. He (or Duggar official) bragged about it when the impostors went to the Bahamas. 

I'm sure his training & license came from the well known fundy Duggar School of Trades.  

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
On 11/18/2019 at 10:59 PM, Future Cat Lady said:

Whatever price they paid for that house, I bet that the money came from the Bank of Jim Bob.

I think that’s their payment for the show. When the kids become adults and/or get married, they get money to buy a house.

If that covers their compensation for filming, when does Joy collect for her years of indentured servitude for childcare, household services, tutoring services, etc.?

ETA:  A household of 19 kids doesn't care for itself, you know. 

Edited by Tikichick
Forgotten snark
  • Love 2
On 11/17/2019 at 7:32 PM, JoanArc said:

So much for Austin being mr independent.

Sure, but on the flip side, he and Joy (each) DO deserve compensation for doing Counting On, and this is likely part (or unfortunately most) of that. They should certainly take the payment, even if they didn’t want to move in and just flipped it and kept the profit.

• Love 12
20 hours ago, MonicaM said:

Fun Fact - both of our husbands are pilots, we are rich enough to own aircraft, and we don't have jobs to tie us down so we can fly any place any time we choose!!!  All because we're clean cut Christians!!! 🤢 

And when "Pops" kicks off (to wherever it is they go to their reward) Game of Evangelicals begins. See who wins.  Must see TeeVee. Air battles I guess but no dragons.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, christine falls said:

Looks like they are actually on the highway, and Joy doesn't appear to be wearing a seatbelt. Nice, Joy. Hope Austin doesn't get into an accident. 

I think I see a seatbelt...there is something diagonally across the very bottom left of the photo which doesn't seem to match her shirt. I think she's just leaning forward, and the seatbelt pulled forward with her, as they will do. 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I absolutely HATE when people take selfies while driving, especially when there are kids in the backseat.  At least she's the one taking the pic, but still.

Hopefully they're stopped at a light considering he's looking right at the camera. If not... yikes!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, awaken said:

Wow, the woman in the back center is clearly related to Austin- nostrils!!

The woman in the back center (to the right of Joy) is Austin's sister, and her husband, Bobby Ballinger, Jr., is behind her and Joy. Otherwise, I don't recognize anyone else. I'm guessing that Austin took the picture?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

Why is one of G's little foot so much bigger than the other? Looks swollen and bigger in size too. 

The foot on our left is flattened so we see the whole width and the other is angled on an oblique so appears more narrowed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, louannems said:

The foot on our left is flattened so we see the whole width and the other is angled on an oblique so appears more narrowed.

And camera angles on cell phones seem to have a very exaggerated effect when it comes to how close or far away a subject is. A baby held in front can appear enormous, while one held in the far arm can look like a tiny toy. Same thing with real estate listings...look at kitchens - an eight foot square kitchen can look to have a deluxe stovetop or walk-in size refrigerator, and a 10'x12' dining room can look as though it can handle King Arthur and his crew if the angles are played right.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I only skimmed it, but one of the complaints was that Austin did work without permits! Yeah, not surprising. 

Intouch has it now

They claimed after they moved in that August, they “began noticing that their yard was saturated on the driest of days and that an unmistakable foul odor of human waste emanated from their yard.”

Sounds like another quality Duggar build!

Edited by JoanArc
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2

Is this the house that Joy and Austin lived in after they married? Because if so, that might explain why they sold it. I remember thinking it weird at the time, because they definitely implied that they were fixing the house with the intention of it being their long-term home. But they ended up selling it soon after they were done with the work and Joy was heavily pregnant.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2