Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Which reminds me...children should't eat sodium or salty food at least for their first year. Can we hope Izzy and Sam got age appropriate food when they started weaning? But then, I doubt it

They'd have still gotten the salty/sodium before weaning because of how much Jill consumes.  There'd be a high concentration in her breast milk.

• Love 10
On 11/24/2018 at 2:36 PM, nodorothyparker said:

What a funny coincidence that Daddy's Favorite Pumpkin Pie recipe is the exact same one word for word as that on the back of a can of Libby's canned pumpkin.  

And her pie crust recipe is lifted from the Crisco can. 

• Love 23
3 minutes ago, jmt111 said:

Honestly, I'm sure it was Michelle that was lifting these recipes and passing them on. Why buy a cookbook when the recipes are right there, on the can/box/bag?

• Love 18
26 minutes ago, jmt111 said:

But the lifted and unattributed recipe is followed by the TM symbol and a copyright statement on her blog, even though you cannot copyright an individual recipe and I am certain the Duggars do not hold a trademark on the names of "Jill's" creations.

• Love 16
On 11/26/2018 at 12:17 PM, QuinnInND said:

What. Is. This. Crap. 

Y'all....this is for real mashed potatoes?

I thought it was a bowl of some weird, light colored pralines that Jill had put shredded coconut in.  (Like this: http://www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com/no-bake-coconut-pecan-praline-cookies/

That's....not what mashed potatoes should look like.  I am not into cooking (I do it to get to eat, but it's not my thing) and I don't consider myself a good cook by any means.....but even I know that ain't mashed potatoes. 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

But the lifted and unattributed recipe is followed by the TM symbol and a copyright statement on her blog, even though you cannot copyright an individual recipe and I am certain the Duggars do not hold a trademark on the names of "Jill's" creations.

Well that’s a little hard because it’s hard to differentiate gray/beige blob A from gray/beige blob B. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I thought it was a bowl of some weird, light colored pralines that Jill had put shredded coconut in.  (Like this: http://www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com/no-bake-coconut-pecan-praline-cookies/

That's....not what mashed potatoes should look like.  I am not into cooking (I do it to get to eat, but it's not my thing) and I don't consider myself a good cook by any means.....but even I know that ain't mashed potatoes. 

I need these praline thingys in my mouth ASAP!

• Love 3

Should we start speculating now about what Dreck will be doing on his break from “work” ?? I imagine law school classes are ending soon with final exams starting early December.  There’s probably at least 5 or 6 weeks before classes start again. My guess is he and Jilly will need many vacation days from the kids. Will Cathy take Sam and Yaaay overnight? This might be Sam’s chance to escape.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Should we start speculating now about what Dreck will be doing on his break from “work” ?? I imagine law school classes are ending soon with final exams starting early December.  There’s probably at least 5 or 6 weeks before classes start again. My guess is he and Jilly will need many vacation days from the kids. Will Cathy take Sam and Yaaay overnight? This might be Sam’s chance to escape.

The school schedule:

https://law.uark.edu/academics/academic-calendar.php

• Love 1
7 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Honestly, I'm sure it was Michelle that was lifting these recipes and passing them on. Why buy a cookbook when the recipes are right there, on the can/box/bag?

SOTDRT may cover bankruptcy law, but they do not discuss copyright law.

• Love 12
On 11/27/2018 at 6:48 AM, ginger90 said:

The pie crust recipe:

To subscribe to the Duggar Family's NEW email newsletter please click here.

Flaky Pie Crust

January 16, 2015

2 2/3 c. sifted regular flour

1 t. salt

1 c. shortening

6 T. ice-cold water

Combine first 3 ingr. in large mixing bowl. Cut well with pastry cutter. Add ice-cold water. Cut with pastry cutter, thoroughly. *Always cut never stir. Dampen counter w/ wet cloth & lay saran wrap down. Sprinkle wrap with flour. Divide in 1/2. Shape into balls. Roll out on floured saran wrap, adding flour (sifted) as needed to keep from sticking. Carefully slide hand under Saran™ wrap. Invert pie plate over top of pie crust, center it, & flip, position it & peel saran wrap carefully off. Trim edges & shape as desired. (This is Daddy’s favorite pie crust w/ his favorite pie, pumpkin!)

Yields 2 crusts

NOTE: ™ = Trademark. All trademarks are property of their respective owners. Results may vary. All recipes are valid for non-commercial useotherwise written permission must be obtained from the The Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar Family. © Copyright 2011

BB805C56-769A-4C69-BD57-349EFA0482B4.jpeg

As if we are all going to go try to sell this slop. And just say cling wrap 

• Love 3

So the Duggar writer of this recipe has the trademark sign after one mention of Saran, not after the other three times the term appears. What does that mean? If the writer wants to trademark sliding one's hand under a piece of Saran wrap, I'm laughing. SOTDRT fail. 

• Love 5

When I saw that bowl of white stuff upthread, I was hoping (and praying!) that it was some kind of dessert or praline thingy.  I dreaded reading on and sure enough, I learn it's supposed to be mashed potatoes.  Jill is really great at ruining appetites and must have plenty of leftovers!

• Love 5
16 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

So the Duggar writer of this recipe has the trademark sign after one mention of Saran, not after the other three times the term appears. What does that mean? If the writer wants to trademark sliding one's hand under a piece of Saran wrap, I'm laughing. SOTDRT fail

The TM symbol only needs to appear once, in the first mention of the mark. This is a commonly and legally accepted practice for this type of publication. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Lukeysboat said:

The TM symbol only needs to appear once, in the first mention of the mark. This is a commonly and legally accepted practice for this type of publication. 

Interesting. I didn't know that. I think I'd put it on the first use of the term, however. It also makes sense to capitalize the "S" in the brand name consistently. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

When I saw that bowl of white stuff upthread, I was hoping (and praying!) that it was some kind of dessert or praline thingy.  I dreaded reading on and sure enough, I learn it's supposed to be mashed potatoes.  Jill is really great at ruining appetites and must have plenty of leftovers!

I'm sure she does have a lot of leftovers, and her recipes must be so expensive to cook!!! One, just buying the amount of food for 20 people is wasteful, but her recipes always have so many unnecessary ingredients too! Most of the time when I run to the store, I might be picking up chicken, maaaaybe one extra ingredient for it, and a veggie. Even if I wanted to make this recipe, I would balk at buying sour cream AND cream cheese, for both health and monetary reasons. Just seems so wasteful and unnecessary to me! Once you have a decently stocked kitchen (and I'm NOT talking the duggar stockpile, but more about spices, flour, sugar, rice, condiments, vinegars, etc), you can make sooooo many different foods by just buying one or two things at the store! For instance, I was considering making meatloaf last night, and literally all I would have needed to buy was the meat. Jill seems to spend soooo much unnecessary money on these recipes, since each one requires multiple ingredients that basically serve the same purpose, not to mention ungodly amounts of cheese, tortillas, and soups!

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I saw this on Taste of Home yesterday and thought of Jill’s messipes.  Some of them sound kind of tasty as long as you don’t eat it too often.  And the reviewers always offer healthy tweaks.  Why can’t she just set up an account and learn some real recipes?  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/cream-of-chicken-soup-recipes/amp/

Mmmmm those look so good!!!! Maybe I will try some of them with a cream sauce instead. Any of them easily are a billion times more appetizing than Jill's slop. You CAN cook appetizing recipes like this; why can't Jill do it?

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I saw this on Taste of Home yesterday and thought of Jill’s messipes.  Some of them sound kind of tasty as long as you don’t eat it too often.  And the reviewers always offer healthy tweaks.  Why can’t she just set up an account and learn some real recipes?  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/cream-of-chicken-soup-recipes/amp/

Taste of Home is one of my favorite recipe sites. She definitely favors richer foods, but like you said, there's ways to cut calories. You can always halve amounts of cheese, cream, butter etc. I do it all the time and don't notice any difference in taste. Obviously it wouldn't work for baking, but for stove top cooking it's pretty easy. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Taste of Home is one of my favorite recipe sites. She definitely favors richer foods, but like you said, there's ways to cut calories. You can always halve amounts of cheese, cream, butter etc. I do it all the time and don't notice any difference in taste. Obviously it wouldn't work for baking, but for stove top cooking it's pretty easy. 

Many of the recipes I use are Taste of Home and like you said, you can cut down on some of the richness or just choose another recipe. One of my favorites is thin sliced pork chops with tart apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans. Its easy and delicious. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Lukeysboat said:

But she doesn't put the TM symbol on the first mention of Saran. She uses the term 4 times and puts the TM on the third use. She also doesn't consistently capitalize Saran. It makes her look inconsistent and sloppy, imo.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, McManda said:

But she doesn't put the TM symbol on the first mention of Saran. She uses the term 4 times and puts the TM on the third use. She also doesn't consistently capitalize Saran. It makes her look inconsistent and sloppy, imo.

I think it's her sloppiness and lack of understanding that consistency is a thing to strive for that makes her look inconsistent and sloppy. Duggars only believe in doing things half-assed.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, McManda said:

I agree! They always told us in journalism classes that if we were unsure of a spelling (and for some reason couldn't look it up), to pick one way and at least spell it the same every time. That at least than makes you look like you're just spelling it incorrectly, as opposed to being sloppy and careless. 

• Love 4
On 11/28/2018 at 3:00 PM, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I don’t think the homeless would eat that. Barf.

whats wrong with papa bear? He legit looks emanciated like he has digestive issues or something. He looks sick.  

Picturing jill and Dereck bony skeletons bumping uglies is not pretty.

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

whats wrong with papa bear? He legit looks emanciated like he has digestive issues or something. He looks sick.

He seems to have always had digestive issues (remember the gagging?) which were probably intensified by his dental surgeries. It may actually be painful for him to eat. I suspect that he barely eats at home because he can't gag down Jill's cooking. The greasy, heavy crap she churns out seems designed to aggravate an already sensitive digestion. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Many of the recipes I use are Taste of Home and like you said, you can cut down on some of the richness or just choose another recipe. One of my favorites is thin sliced pork chops with tart apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans. Its easy and delicious. 

Sounds delicious! I made Taste of Home seasoned tilapia filets Thursday.  It’s a healthy favorite around here along with herbed chicken and shrimp. The chicken recipe is the perfect example of substituting healthier ingredients.  By just adding raw boneless breasts and thighs and low sodium chicken broth, the cholesterol and sodium is greatly reduced.  And while I consider myself much smarter than Jill, and far more educated, making that recipe substitution doesn’t take rocket science or a master’s in nutrition science.  She’s just too arrogant to think anything about her family needs improvement and too cowardly to try anyway.   

• Love 3
17 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Sounds delicious! I made Taste of Home seasoned tilapia filets Thursday.  It’s a healthy favorite around here along with herbed chicken and shrimp. The chicken recipe is the perfect example of substituting healthier ingredients.  By just adding raw boneless breasts and thighs and low sodium chicken broth, the cholesterol and sodium is greatly reduced.  And while I consider myself much smarter than Jill, and far more educated, making that recipe substitution doesn’t take rocket science or a master’s in nutrition science.  She’s just too arrogant to think anything about her family needs improvement and too cowardly to try anyway.   

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

But if Jill changed the recipe, it wouldn't be the same as the one Mother Michelle's always made when company came, or Daddy Jim Bob's birthday favorite, or the recipe that their dear, dear family friend down the road gave them. Some things are sacred. Anyway, Jilly grew up on salt, fat, and starch, so she likes this stuff. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I'm thinking about making that recipe tonight with the chicken, ham, and Swiss rolled up. Besides the soup, it really doesn't look bad, and I can use the cream sauce instead. If I do, I'll let you guys know how it turned out!

• Love 2

I love Taste of Home & have been subscribing to their magazines for years. My favorite one is Simple & Delicious. 

My son was able to bring home leftovers including enchiladas from an open house they had at his office last night.  He was upset he forgot to bring home the sauce that went with them.  I was thinking That's OK. I'm sure I have cream soups & cheese we can float them around in.

• Love 7

Two things.

1. Aside from Jessa, it makes me sad to see how similar each of the girls becomes with their husbands.  None of them had any personality to begin with, and basically just took on their traits of their men.  In some cases, it’s good.  Jinger now lives in comfort, is more trendy, and looks fantastic.  She gets to see city life and eat good food.  In some cases though, it’s AWFUL, as we can see with Jill.  You don’t see this with the Bates girls - every marriage in the Bates fam seems like a partnership, albeit with shit religious and political leanings.  

2. Jill should learn from Laura Vitale.  Her recipes are also stolen, and to be completely honest, kinda trash, but she’s turned himself into a million dollar brand. Her husband also does fuck all in his own career, so he takes care of the baby and all her filming/editing/assistant needs while she steals recipes and makes $$$.  I truly do admire Laura’s hustle, and she does fill a niche missing in cooking shows.  Her recipes are truly EASY.  

• Love 5
On 11/28/2018 at 2:15 PM, latetotheparty said:

I need these praline thingys in my mouth ASAP!

No lie, I made them right after my fat ass read the recipe. Holy shit! They’re GOOD!! I feel like I might have developed a case of the ‘beetus and my ass is probably fatter. But, damn! So good.

• Love 6

Derick go study somewhere else. Jill isn’t going to take the boys and herself elsewhere.

Nice $30 shirt Jill. I wonder if it’s from their subscription box or if she purchased it separately.  Should have worn jeans, Jill.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 9
19 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Maybe this is her way of derailiing his law career...

That wouldn't surprise me at all. She must resent the hours he has to spend away from her at law school (even though she tags along as much as she can) and she must realize that it will be even worse if he ever graduates, passes the bar and gets a job at a law firm. She wants him free to spend every minute of the day with her, just like he's done ever since he left Wal-Mart and just like Daddy has always done with Mama. And since she's a Godly submissive wife, she can't be honest with him about this. She can't come right out and say "I don't want you to do this", so she has to resort to using "feminine wiles" to get her own way.

• Love 13

I bet Jilly dropped the kids off with Cathy so she could finally cling on to Derick without the kids in the way. I doubt he's getting anything stuck in his head with her breathing down his neck.

• Love 11