Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, ABay said:

"Passed away" I can just about tolerate but "passed" just makes me roll my eyes. It's coy, it's prim, it's fake solemnity.

I hate all of them - dead is dead; the person didn't pass, get lost, transition, whatever, they fucking died - but if it comforts someone to deal with death by using twee terms, more power to them, because death is terribly difficult to cope with, so whatever helps.

I just find it very odd that a commercial uses a euphemism as specific as "homegoing".  Does the company only want Christian customers?

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I just find it very odd that a commercial uses a euphemism as specific as "homegoing".  Does the company only want Christian customers?

yes, it seems to reference "going home to Jesus" (which I've heard) which is rather specific.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, ABay said:

"Passed away" I can just about tolerate but "passed" just makes me roll my eyes. It's coy, it's prim, it's fake solemnity.

I don't think it is any of those things, nor am I as I say it, but different strokes...

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I prefer "became one with the universe".

I am kind of surprised that you liked the "coy, prim, fake" comment. I have always seen you to be kind! If someone is talking about their own loved one in whatever terms they want, in whatever way is easier for them, I kind of think that it shouldn't be judged harshly. I don't think "passed away" or "passed" are merely euphemisms, but truth, since the person has gone somewhere that is not here. I am sure Christian people do say that they are going to heaven, but I agree that the ad is pretty specific on that. I also think it's kind of funny that the woman is sitting in the ER, obviously okay, and talking about having money to bury her.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, susannah said:

I am kind of surprised that you liked the "coy, prim, fake" comment. I have always seen you to be kind! If someone is talking about their own loved one in whatever terms they want, in whatever way is easier for them, I kind of think that it shouldn't be judged harshly. I don't think "passed away" or "passed" are merely euphemisms, but truth, since the person has gone somewhere that is not here. I am sure Christian people do say that they are going to heaven, but I agree that the ad is pretty specific on that. I also think it's kind of funny that the woman is sitting in the ER, obviously okay, and talking about having money to bury her.

Thank you. I think it's because my husband does it. There are some things he does that bug me, when it it were anyone else, I wouldn't think a thing about it. Like calling movies "shows". It irritates me when he says of a movie, "I really liked that show."  It's so imprecise.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:36 AM, chenoa333 said:

But that still leaves Khloe doing ads about migraines and whatever else she can do to make a buck. With her long, pointy fingernails, inflated lips, fake lashes, penciled brows, fake boobs, butt implants, hair extensions.

I suppose when your sisters are billionaires or nearly so, the competition is fierce. Plus, bionics to replace body parts probably cost a lot more than they did in Steve Austin & Jamie Summers' day!

• LOL 12
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I suppose when your sisters are billionaires or nearly so, the competition is fierce. Plus, bionics to replace body parts probably cost a lot more than they did in Steve Austin & Jamie Summers' day!

I do wonder if there is anything left on any of them that could be considered natural!

• LOL 9
On 10/1/2021 at 8:55 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

When my mom died, the nursing home called me and said she was non-responsive. I asked what that meant and they kept repeating it, even when I asked, "Does that meant she's dead?"  I don't think they're allowed to say "the D-word" to the family. That is so goddamned stupid. Instead of plunging into grief over losing my mom, I got angry at the idiotic policy.

I would hazard a guess that they're not allowed to say she died until a doctor makes that official.  Agree, it's incredibly confusing and frustrating.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 10/1/2021 at 3:26 PM, Browncoat said:

"You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

One of my favorite movies. "You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7

Where my mother's relatives were all treated at for their final illnesses, they called every time with the "you need to get here, he's failing".    But the death certificate said they were declared before the call was made.    I always wondered how many people were killed or injured speeding to say goodbye to someone who was already dead?     

I hate those final expenses commercials, because too many policies have fine print and conditions that the buyer doesn't look at, so they make years of payments, and their survivors get nothing.  

ALso, in the commercial where the woman is telling her adult kids about their money coming when she finally dies, no one seems upset about her close call. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
On 10/1/2021 at 4:49 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Those final expense ads: "I'm at peace with my homegoing."  Homegoing?  You mean DEATH?  You can say the word. It happens to us all. We all DIE.

"Homegoing" is a common term in the Black church.

• Love 10
On 10/1/2021 at 8:55 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

When my mom died, the nursing home called me and said she was non-responsive. I asked what that meant and they kept repeating it, even when I asked, "Does that meant she's dead?"  I don't think they're allowed to say "the D-word" to the family. That is so goddamned stupid. Instead of plunging into grief over losing my mom, I got angry at the idiotic policy.

Success? 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Success? 🤷‍♂️

Almost. I did a lot of grieving for her situation while she was in assisted living, when she broke her hip, and the subsequent two months of trying to heal & getting rehab, only to fail miserably at it.  But still, I was hit pretty hard when she became "non-responsive."  I slept a lot to avoid thinking about it.  Previously, she said she didn't want a funeral, so there wasn't that for me to take care for her - just the details of the cremation and then, a few days later, picking up her ashes.

Still, it was two weeks short of my 60th birthday before I became an orphan, so I had her in my life a good, long time. She was worthy of a week or so of heavy grieving.  After 12 years, I still miss her.

Apparent segue:  One of those Car Shield ads has a woman saying, "If you're driving around without a warranty, you need to call Car Shield," and her friend chimes in, "Yeah, you do."  I say it in unison with her, "Yeah, you do."  ...and then I think of the many times I'd be watching TV with Mom and I'd say something like that and she'd be SO startled to hear my voice. She'd forget I was visiting her or she was visiting me so that when my voice broke the silence in the room, it'd scare the heck out of her.  So when I say, "Yeah, you do!" I fondly think of my mom jumping out of her skin.  It's the little things. LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Maybe my mental faculties are failing more rapidly than I realized.  Does anyone else find the commercial with Li’l Nas X and Elton John riding on mechanical toys utterly bizarre?  I can’t even understand the line at the end “my rocket is ——“ and the entire dialogue is odd, to say the least.  I’m finding more and more of these advertisements puzzling, to say the least, and downright annoying!

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
30 minutes ago, OldStandard said:

Maybe my mental faculties are failing more rapidly than I realized.  Does anyone else find the commercial with Li’l Nas X and Elton John riding on mechanical toys utterly bizarre?  I can’t even understand the line at the end “my rocket is ——“ and the entire dialogue is odd, to say the least.  I’m finding more and more of these advertisements puzzling, to say the least, and downright annoying!

My rocket is "skint", British slang for broke.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
On 10/2/2021 at 3:18 PM, susannah said:

I don't think "passed away" or "passed" are merely euphemisms, but truth, since the person has gone somewhere that is not here.

Although I'd rather say "died," "passed away" doesn't really bother me. To me it's akin to saying "restroom" as opposed to "toilet" or something. (It's only truth, however, if you believe that someone has gone somewhere and hasn't simply stopped existing.)

"Homegoing" though...I'd never heard this before, and it reminds me of how the My Pillow guy makes sure his cross is poking out of his collar.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Folks, 

We're getting a little far down the what is the appropriate way to say someone died path.  If you care to continue the discussion, please do so in Small Talk.  You can pass to there, or transition, or call it a small talk going, or whatever you like.  It is the appropriate place for personal stories and further discussion of the options. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 3

I often read obituaries to see what euphemisms people use instead of just saying, "died". Some are very interesting, like "slipped the surly bonds of Earth and crossed the bridge to be with Jesus", and others are a little confusing.  I see a lot of "transitioned", and I just want to say to the obituary writers, "You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

Taking this to Small Talk. :)

• Love 2
On 9/17/2021 at 9:01 AM, mbluecpa said:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen prior reference to this one here, but I just saw for the first time and had to mention: the digestive health product that likens bad bathroom visits to “(something, I think “pooping”) a pineapple” and “pinching off a porcupine.” I’m not sure I was angered or annoyed but am still thinking “wow…that’s on TV?”

I came here to post. Just saw it for the first time. Horrible. Colace. Number two should be easy to do. Ugh. 

• Love 5

Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack have two different commercials featuring the same annoying twit who dances around, jumping and making cutesy faces while camera magic occurs which changes her outfits like a quick change artist.  She is a young Asian with weird hair, black on top then dyed an orange shade in the middle to the ends of the stringy hair in front while the back looks to be chopped off.

• Love 3
On 10/4/2021 at 2:25 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Almost. I did a lot of grieving for her situation while she was in assisted living, when she broke her hip, and the subsequent two months of trying to heal & getting rehab, only to fail miserably at it.  But still, I was hit pretty hard when she became "non-responsive."  I slept a lot to avoid thinking about it.  Previously, she said she didn't want a funeral, so there wasn't that for me to take care for her - just the details of the cremation and then, a few days later, picking up her ashes.

My condolences. 😢

On 10/4/2021 at 2:25 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Apparent segue:  One of those Car Shield ads has a woman saying, "If you're driving around without a warranty, you need to call Car Shield," and her friend chimes in, "Yeah, you do."  I say it in unison with her, "Yeah, you do." 

Wasn't Rick Flair, former pro-wrassler in their commercials? They were amusing at first but got old.

On 10/4/2021 at 2:44 PM, OldStandard said:

Lil' Nas X looks like a pale imitation to Elton John, who dressed outrageously first and better.

• Love 7
On 9/30/2021 at 12:02 PM, chessiegal said:

Is her butt for real or is that plastic surgery? Every time I see that commercial I think, no - she couldn't have been born with that ginormous butt.

Khloe has very few original parts. Including her a$$. Kim's aSs is implanted too. Not sure what substance is in there.

Judging by the size, it could be the two,old nuclear power domes from San Onofre Ca. Previously known as the Dolly Parton monument. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • LOL 15
17 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Does anyone understand the Kia commercial where a woman driving a car sees nothing but a bunch of people dressed like characters in Bridgerton.   Why?  What the hell does that crap have to do with buying a car?  

It took us a couple of tries because we would always miss the first few seconds - she starts out trying to write a story (novel/screenplay/whatever) but can't get started. Driving around in the Kia, she "sees" things that inspire her for her writing, hence the commercial's tag line "Inspiration is out there. Go Find it. "

• Useful 6
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I think she looks kind of rubbery in that commercial.  If she ever fell over she would probably bounce right back up into a standing position without getting hurt.  Like a Bumble.

I don't think we will ever see her in one of those, "I have fallen and I can't get up commercials".

But it would be kind of fun to watch her bouncing!

• LOL 8
2 minutes ago, magicdog said:

This commercial bugs me:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/q1dJ/volkswagen-teddy-t2

Maybe because I grew up with parents that weren't entirely pushovers, but I hate that the dad agrees to take this massive toy in the car for the trip.  If that were me and my parents, they would have said they would take the toy but not me! 

Then I would have said bye bye to Teddy!

My dad would have let me bring it. Perks of being an only child.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

The seat is empty, so I don't see a problem.  And unless this is a shorter version of a long commercial, we have no idea where they're going.  Maybe they just bought it and are heading home from the toy store.  Maybe she's taking it with her to Grandma's for the weekend.  Maybe she likes having it in the backseat while he drives her to school.  Wherever, though, it doesn't bother me - Teddy is just occupying a space that isn't needed for anything else right now, and puts a smile on both their faces. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The seat is empty, so I don't see a problem.  And unless this is a shorter version of a long commercial, we have no idea where they're going.  Maybe they just bought it and are heading home from the toy store.  Maybe she's taking it with her to Grandma's for the weekend.  Maybe she likes having it in the backseat while he drives her to school.  Wherever, though, it doesn't bother me - Teddy is just occupying a space that isn't needed for anything else right now, and puts a smile on both their faces. 

Exactly.

7 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

My vote for most annoying commercial is the Duracell commercial where the dad buys batteries at the rest stop because if his daughter’s toy breaks down on the road, she will become a holy terror. Is he not familiar with the phrase, “So help me, I. WILL. TURN. THIS. CAR. AROUND.”?

So the kid's in charge, not the parent, huh?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, susannah said:

So the kid's in charge, not the parent, huh?

Yes, that appears to be the status quo now.   There's a Kraft Mac n Cheese commercial where the mom says 'we're not leaving the table until you eat'.   And the snotty little brat snaps back 'fine, then we'll sit her all night'.   But everything's ok when mom dumps some cheese sauce on their plate.  Like, is this shit for real?   My first thought was the ad person that came up with this nonsense was some precious snowflake that was babied their entire life.  But then how did no one ad the ad company or Kraft protest.   So I can only assume this is what they intended to communicate and are trying to court young parents who we're spoiled rotten as children and now think it's ok for rude little brats to get mouthy and sass back.   

• Love 15

I'm watching a lot of playoff baseball right now.  HOW MANY TIMES does the Volkswagen Taos commercial play?  You know, the one where they're singing and cuts from scene to scene, it's got the guy singing off key "grab a taco because it's late"?  I swear this commercial plays several times a game.  Over it.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, greyhorse said:

I'm watching a lot of playoff baseball right now.  HOW MANY TIMES does the Volkswagen Taos commercial play?  You know, the one where they're singing and cuts from scene to scene, it's got the guy singing off key "grab a taco because it's late"?  I swear this commercial plays several times a game.  Over it.

Wait, that commercial is for a CAR??? I seriously did not realize what product that spot was for!  The song was so annoying I block it out when it is shown.  All I got was now I want a taco.

• LOL 8
8 hours ago, Maverick said:

Yes, that appears to be the status quo now.   There's a Kraft Mac n Cheese commercial where the mom says 'we're not leaving the table until you eat'.   And the snotty little brat snaps back 'fine, then we'll sit her all night'.   

Every time I see that commercial my thought is that if my kid said that to me, my response would be "Get comfy - you WILL be there all night kiddo".  Such a snotty way the little girl talks to her parents.  And to get rewarded by some Kraft cheese - to me a terrible response to a bratty child. 

• Love 22
13 hours ago, Maverick said:

Yes, that appears to be the status quo now.   There's a Kraft Mac n Cheese commercial where the mom says 'we're not leaving the table until you eat'.   And the snotty little brat snaps back 'fine, then we'll sit her all night'.   But everything's ok when mom dumps some cheese sauce on their plate.  Like, is this shit for real?   My first thought was the ad person that came up with this nonsense was some precious snowflake that was babied their entire life.  But then how did no one ad the ad company or Kraft protest.   So I can only assume this is what they intended to communicate and are trying to court young parents who we're spoiled rotten as children and now think it's ok for rude little brats to get mouthy and sass back.   

OMG I could go on and on about how much I hate that ad and the stupid mother running after her brat begging her to eat as she screams no! In that same vein, I also loathe the ones in which kids come through the house scattering mud and food crumbs and spilling stuff all over the place, and then the mother, smiling angelically, goes after them, cleaning it all up.

4 hours ago, freeser said:

Every time I see that commercial my thought is that if my kid said that to me, my response would be "Get comfy - you WILL be there all night kiddo".  Such a snotty way the little girl talks to her parents.  And to get rewarded by some Kraft cheese - to me a terrible response to a bratty child. 

WORD!

• Love 13

I wish Kraft would drop the spoiled kids ads because of the reactions that all kids are spoiled today. My husband has 11 grandchildren. Any one of them might show such behavior - once, and then they learn there are consequences. Seems to me the bratty kids live in commercials, though I've seen some bad behavior in grocery stores. I am thankful Kraft reminded me how much I like tacos and a sprinkle of cheese on broccoli.

• Love 2