Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Where are we, you may wonder?  In the Commercials that Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage thread.  We are talking about commercials, behaviors shown in commercials, and people's reactions to those commercials.  That's it.

This is not the place to debate whether those darn kids these days are a bunch of unruly brats versus generally decent versus anything else.  Let's get back on topic.  Posts have been removed. 

• Love 4

There's a new lame Liberty Mutual commercial that a hate out there. I have no memory of it, but I hated it.

On 10/7/2021 at 4:59 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Does anyone understand the Kia commercial where a woman driving a car sees nothing but a bunch of people dressed like characters in Bridgerton.   Why?  What the hell does that crap have to do with buying a car?  

I hate that one. The gist is that the woman is writing a play or story and drives around to help with her "writer's block". Unfortunately, all she did could come up with was a rip-off of Cinderella. 

Edited by Gharlane
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

The Gain commercial where the guy parodies the song Maniac.  I swear he sings “Maniac, maniac, I shit my drawers”. I listened a few times and it really sounds like those words. 

Maybe that's why he needs Gain?  He needs to get both the shitstains and the smell out of his drawers. 

• LOL 12
23 hours ago, susannah said:
On 10/10/2021 at 10:30 AM, freeser said:

Every time I see that commercial my thought is that if my kid said that to me, my response would be "Get comfy - you WILL be there all night kiddo".  Such a snotty way the little girl talks to her parents.  And to get rewarded by some Kraft cheese - to me a terrible response to a bratty child. 

WORD!

I don't even want to say what my mom would've done if I had pulled those shenanigans

There's another ad for Kraft cheese where the mom comes home and asks her 2 girls what they want to eat.  One says this, the other says that, then....cue Enya song to where they, plus the dad, are sitting around the table eating a cheesy pizza the size of a dinner plate.  For.Four.People!  My husband could polish that off by himself

• Love 10
On 10/4/2021 at 2:44 PM, OldStandard said:

Maybe my mental faculties are failing more rapidly than I realized.  Does anyone else find the commercial with Li’l Nas X and Elton John riding on mechanical toys utterly bizarre?  I can’t even understand the line at the end “my rocket is ——“ and the entire dialogue is odd, to say the least.  I’m finding more and more of these advertisements puzzling, to say the least, and downright annoying!

I hate that commercial. Is Elton John that hard up for money? And the bizarre creature with him is also a "singer"? The most offensive part of the commercial is them crying that they don't have the money to pay for their food. Looks like the "little guy" gets screwed once again by the elite.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

I don't even want to say what my mom would've done if I had pulled those shenanigans

There's another ad for Kraft cheese where the mom comes home and asks her 2 girls what they want to eat.  One says this, the other says that, then....cue Enya song to where they, plus the dad, are sitting around the table eating a cheesy pizza the size of a dinner plate.  For.Four.People!  My husband could polish that off by himself

These are the same people that think there a 4 servings in (not even) a pint of Haagen Daas. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

One says this, the other says that, then....cue Enya song to where they, plus the dad, are sitting around the table eating a cheesy pizza the size of a dinner plate.  For.Four.People!  My husband could polish that off by himself

5 minutes ago, Maverick said:

These are the same people that think there a 4 servings in (not even) a pint of Haagen Daas. 

Technically, that's probably what we SHOULD eat, but yeah, good luck with that.  When I had my boys at home, I had to cook double what was considered normal for a 4 person family and even then, I might not have enough.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Maverick said:

And it's not even a pint anymore. Haagen-Dazs is 14 ounces. The bigger carton is 28.  I just used a third of a "pint" in a root beer float. It was a most delicious dinner.  🙂

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The Gain commercial where the guy parodies the song Maniac.  I swear he sings “Maniac, maniac, I shit my drawers”. I listened a few times and it really sounds like those words. 

I do laugh when the guy has laundry dumped on him like water in the movie.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
On 10/11/2021 at 7:35 AM, Gharlane said:

There's a new lame Liberty Mutual commercial that a hate out there. I have no memory of it, but I hated it.

Is it the one where there's a dj playing the Liberty Mutual theme?  Cuz that one's annoying as hell.  (There's also one with Doug trying to convince his boss to buy a helicopter for him and Limu, but I find that one amusing because of how she says "We're not getting you a helicopter." in such a deadpan tone.)

• Love 11
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Afghan Hound guy?  I think it's beyond stupid. He needs a muzzle.

No, it's a newer one than that one. Please don't make me remember it. 🤣

20 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I hate that commercial. Is Elton John that hard up for money? And the bizarre creature with him is also a "singer"? The most offensive part of the commercial is them crying that they don't have the money to pay for their food. Looks like the "little guy" gets screwed once again by the elite.

Oh, I hate that commercial with Elton John and that other guy, but don't you pay for your food upfront from those delivery services? 

1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

Is it the one where there's a DJ playing the Liberty Mutual theme? 

DAMN YOU JIMMY'S JOHN'S! 🤣

Yeah, it had a DJ and a lame guy breakdancing to it. 

• LOL 2

Here is a long standing question I have.  I’m seeing a new wave of commercials for Kellogg’s Raisin Bran.  And still they claim that their raisins are “plump and juicy.”  But a raisin is, be definition, DRIED!  If it was juicy, it would be a grape!  As a teen, I sought “juicy” raisins (because I didn’t really like cereal and I was attracted to the “juicy” raisins) only to be let down and disappointed until I realized that much of advertising is just plain untrue!  So my question is this:  why can’t they describe the raisins as being “chewy” or just “sweet” - why can’t they stop with the “juicy”!  (Thanks, everyone, I feel better now!)

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Oh, I hate that commercial with Elton John and that other guy, but don't you pay for your food upfront from those delivery services? 

Maybe they're screwing the delivery person on the tip. I really haven't paid that much attention to the commercial. 

23 minutes ago, OldStandard said:

Here is a long standing question I have.  I’m seeing a new wave of commercials for Kellogg’s Raisin Bran.  And still they claim that their raisins are “plump and juicy.”  But a raisin is, be definition, DRIED!  If it was juicy, it would be a grape!  As a teen, I sought “juicy” raisins (because I didn’t really like cereal and I was attracted to the “juicy” raisins) only to be let down and disappointed until I realized that much of advertising is just plain untrue!  So my question is this:  why can’t they describe the raisins as being “chewy” or just “sweet” - why can’t they stop with the “juicy”!  (Thanks, everyone, I feel better now!)

That's a good question!

• Love 4

The newest commercial for the Shingrex Vacccine. The guy pulls up his shirt and has shingles, NO ONE wants to see that!  Little off-topic, but I just got my second shot today. My mom had shingles, no one wants shingles!

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I think Elton's looking for money for his rocket, not for the food.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, OldStandard said:

Here's another version.. "and Raisin Bran's got two scoops of the dry, dessicated, wizened hulls of the grapes that gave their all, that will stick in your teeth forever!"

• LOL 10

I just saw the one where something spilled toward the winning lottery ticket, and they are screaming for paper towels. It never once occurs to them to actually move the ticket. This reminds me of the children's story about the Three Sillies.

• Love 8
On 10/11/2021 at 11:38 AM, KLovestoShop said:

It’s nearly as bad-he says “Check my drawers”…

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, TheWalkinDude said:

It’s nearly as bad-he says “Check my drawers”…

I finally saw that commercial yesterday and I wondered, "Check your chest of drawers or your underwear drawers?" Still, the commercial is stupid.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I finally saw that commercial yesterday and I wondered, "Check your chest of drawers or your underwear drawers?" Still, the commercial is stupid.

I saw the ad for the first time yesterday and it is appalling, and I really wish I didn't hear either of these versions, in my head, ever again. I need brain bleach!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

This is a beautifully photographed ad, and I'm sure I'm in their target demographic (as part of an older couple that has cancelled/postponed a few international trips in the last year and a half), but it is driving me insane. It's on constant rotation on my TV, and the ending is so stupid. The "acting" at the end "Could you please send this (letter) before we go?" and it's the words he's been saying--- "to the curious."

https://discover.silversea.com/to-the-curious/letter-to-the-curious/

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, dleighg said:

This is a beautifully photographed ad, and I'm sure I'm in their target demographic (as part of an older couple that has cancelled/postponed a few international trips in the last year and a half), but it is driving me insane. It's on constant rotation on my TV, and the ending is so stupid. The "acting" at the end "Could you please send this (letter) before we go?" and it's the words he's been saying--- "to the curious."

https://discover.silversea.com/to-the-curious/letter-to-the-curious/

It's still very beautiful. I wish I could go to all of those places. *sigh*

• Love 3
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's still very beautiful. I wish I could go to all of those places. *sigh*

That is a very different ad for Silversea, a company that rarely does television ads, unlike the commercials for the mainstream lines where all you see are the crowds and sensory overstimulation.  But this was beautifully done and does showcase what Silversea does best. 

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
  • Love 2
On 10/12/2021 at 9:07 AM, Tom Holmberg said:
On 10/11/2021 at 8:11 PM, Maverick said:

Or more than one serving in a bag of potato chips. 😋

The biggest sham is Lenny & Larry's protein cookies.  They are single serve in a package, but each is a 1/2 serving!

On 10/12/2021 at 7:24 PM, Kimboweena said:

The newest commercial for the Shingrex Vacccine. The guy pulls up his shirt and has shingles, NO ONE wants to see that!

Not to mention they are HIGHLY contagious!  I worked with a woman who got them on her back and she had to be quarantined at home for 2 weeks

44 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Not to mention they are HIGHLY contagious! 

You can't spread shingles to someone. You get shingles if you had chickenpox in the past and it reactivates. If you have shingles you *could* give *chickenpox* to someone if they are not otherwise immune to the chickenpox virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/transmission.html

I guess it may be appropriate to quarantine someone if there are lots of unvax'd or otherwise non-immune people. But most people in the US *should* be immune to chickenpox, either naturally (like I am at age 60) or via vax.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

So BOTH Celebrity Cruises AND some sort of "Save the Elephants" organization (symbolically adopt an elephant and get this plush elephant toy) are using the song "What a Wonderful World" right now.

Nice song, and I guess endlessly flexible.

Edited by dleighg
  • LOL 1
47 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I hate to do this to you, but there's another new Charmin teddy bears commercial!  Also includes

Hide contents

"itchy squirm."

Using spoiler alert to hide sensitive content. 

What color is this bear family?  I thought I already heard about

before.

I must have quite a fear of heights because there’s a Subaru ad that’s seriously triggering it. Two guys are driving along a rocky mountain road with no guardrails or any space at all beside the roadway.  Nope nope nope. Then they get out and walk up to the edge. Double nope!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

Red. Yes it’s another one with that topic. 

God help us. It's become a contest now to see who can write the most disgusting ad. I say that people have to be desperate to be in show business to humiliate themselves in that way, both the writers and "actors."

3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I must have quite a fear of heights because there’s a Subaru ad that’s seriously triggering it. Two guys are driving along a rocky mountain road with no guardrails or any space at all beside the roadway.  Nope nope nope. Then they get out and walk up to the edge. Double nope!

Look out belowwwww...

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I haven’t seen this. It sounds awful. Why can’t they stick to those cute driving dog commercials?  

• Love 10

It seems every commercial break I see an ad (I think it's for a car) with a couple driving home from a date night and they spy their little boy watching them from the window.  (As many times as I've seen it you'd think I'd know the product they're selling.)  During the commercial the man asks Alexa to play music and the woman asks Alexa to turn on the lights.  Normally my Alexa ignores this, but yesterday she started piping up when her name is said and actually started blasting music once.  I'm sick of this commercial and don't want my Alexa reacting every time it comes on.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It seems every commercial break I see an ad (I think it's for a car) with a couple driving home from a date night and they spy their little boy watching them from the window.  (As many times as I've seen it you'd think I'd know the product they're selling.)  During the commercial the man asks Alexa to play music and the woman asks Alexa to turn on the lights.  Normally my Alexa ignores this, but yesterday she started piping up when her name is said and actually started blasting music once.  I'm sick of this commercial and don't want my Alexa reacting every time it comes on.

My Google home assistant reacts to commercials for it's product.

That commercial is annoying, the kid wants to watch his parents make out?

• Love 3