Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I'm torn between the new Peloton "it's a joy to workout" commercial  

While I like that they're not using a guy with perfect hair, washboard abs and glistening biceps, it also kind of feels like Peloton is going out of their way to not incur the wrath of the masses due to the disastrous 2019 commercial (which I never thought came across as offensive or body shaming)

I still see they're having these people work out on the bike in front of ginormous, uncovered windows

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I graduated from high school in 1975. I knew at least 6 Karens, 10 Lindas and 1 Martha. So that breaks down about right.

By the time I graduated in 1983, there were 3 Karens/Karins, 2 Lindas, and a crap ton of Jennifers.  No Marthas at all.

Pretty much the only Medicare related commercial that doesn't annoy the shit out of me is the one with Joe Montana, and that's mainly because I've always had a thing for him even though I don't like football.

• Love 4

There is a commercial for prescription eye drops (Xiidra?) that features a cartoon character that is supposed to represent inflammation singing about it horribly to the tune of "Carol of the Bells."  I can only imagine this will get even more annoying as it airs more often.

• Love 3
On 11/14/2021 at 8:46 AM, ebk57 said:

OMG I HATE the Facebook commercials where they "interview" employees about their "jobs" and how fabulous Facebook is.  Because A) Facebook is not fabulous (not that I know this since I'm not connected), and 2) those people are AWFUL!  

I live near Facebook headquarters and everyone I've ever met who works for them absolutely loves the company.  It's like a cult.

On 11/16/2021 at 11:44 AM, proserpina65 said:

Pronunciation of that word varies greatly.  I, for one, don't really say the 'l'.  It is more like "ahmonds" when I say it.  That commercial is annoying as hell, though.

Where they grow almonds in the Central Valley they say "aahmonds" - long ago there was a commercial about it.  The tag line was "we bang the L out of them."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

I live near Facebook headquarters and everyone I've ever met who works for them absolutely loves the company.  It's like a cult.

And, let me guess, one in which 'privacy' is considered a four-letter word! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Cant stand the commercial for the upcomming ANNIE LIVE ! On NBC.  I love Harry Connick Jr.. but he wearing that bald cap and turns to smile at the camera....and instead of Daddy Warbucks all i see is a super creepy Jeff Bezos...yuck

• LOL 12
  • Love 5

The Rakuten Christmas commercial. The woman has on the worst outfit. Terrible plaid pants (looks like purple but could be red) with matching top. The previous commercial had a woman singing and dancing in an ugly green sleeveless pants outfit. She had deep circles under her eyes that looked like she had been sleep-deprived for months. Whoever does styling for these commercials must hate the actresses in them.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Cant stand the commercial for the upcomming ANNIE LIVE ! On NBC.  I love Harry Connick Jr.. but he wearing that bald cap and turns to smile at the camera....and instead of Daddy Warbucks all i see is a super creepy Jeff Bezos...yuck

Maybe that's the direction they're going in, which might actually be interesting.  After all Daddy WARBUCKS was a war profiteer.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

There is a commercial where the elf is in the convenience store buying Oreos and some type of orange drink.  Am I the only one who hears, 'Oreos placenta' instead of 'Oreos for Santa?'

I have become adept at hitting the mute button as soon as I hear the moan from the bathroom stall, so I don't have to listen to Amy Schumer talk about tampon sizes.  Now I have to learn to dive as soon as Pete Davison (or whatever his name is) comes onto the screen to sell (water?)  Ugh.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

There is a commercial where the elf is in the convenience store buying Oreos and some type of orange drink.  Am I the only one who hears, 'Oreos placenta' instead of 'Oreos for Santa?'

I have become adept at hitting the mute button as soon as I hear the moan from the bathroom stall, so I don't have to listen to Amy Schumer talk about tampon sizes.  Now I have to learn to dive as soon as Pete Davison (or whatever his name is) comes onto the screen to sell (water?)  Ugh.

Speaking of  Amy Schumer,  has anyone else seen the gross tampon commercials she's done (they may be Interwebz only)? One where she puts the tampon in her mouth and "just the string hangs out, right?" And the other one where she inserts the tampon into the hole of a filled donut, then bites the donut? 

Well, I suppose I should thank her for putting me off Bismarcks (my fave!) for the next several months. 🤢🤮

• Love 1
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's right, he was.

Guess I will have to google this. All I know about DW is that he was rich and bald.

5 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Speaking of  Amy Schumer,  has anyone else seen the gross tampon commercials she's done (they may be Interwebz only)? One where she puts the tampon in her mouth and "just the string hangs out, right?" And the other one where she inserts the tampon into the hole of a filled donut, then bites the donut? 

Well, I suppose I should thank her for putting me off Bismarcks (my fave!) for the next several months. 🤢🤮

Holy mother, TELL me this isn't true!!! I haven't seen these but this is the MOST disgusting EVER!

• Love 7

My hate in commercials is a part of many commercials, not just one. 

I hate some women's voices in voiceovers, and singing. I hate breathy soft voices whispering about whatever. And singing in a soft light high voice, with too much vibrato. Grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard. 

Commercials about baby products use this a lot. They should stop. Give me commercials with strong voices. Men or women who know how to open their mouths and say something.

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I hate some women's voices in voiceovers, and singing. I hate breathy soft voices whispering about whatever. And singing in a soft light high voice, with too much vibrato. Grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard. 

How about the lady from Downy Unstoppables who picks up a piece of laundry, smells it, then says (or thinks) 'still fressshhhh' in a whispery voiceover kind of way?

• Love 3

I've seen this new commercial in circulation that goes under the "obnoxious brat" category. It features some parents driving home from a PTA meeting, I guess, and get caught sneaking in by their obnoxious entitled daughter who thinks she should have the car because they were late. Ugh.😡

On 11/19/2021 at 5:35 AM, KWalkerInc said:

There is a commercial for prescription eye drops (Xiidra?) that features a cartoon character that is supposed to represent inflammation singing about it horribly to the tune of "Carol of the Bells."  I can only imagine this will get even more annoying as it airs more often.

I swear I saw an Xiidra commercial with that black guy known for smoking pot excessively! 😲

2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Gross, but shouldn't she be inserting the tampon into the doughnut hole? 🤔

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 11/20/2021 at 3:58 PM, Kemper said:

The Rakuten Christmas commercial. The woman has on the worst outfit. Terrible plaid pants (looks like purple but could be red) with matching top. The previous commercial had a woman singing and dancing in an ugly green sleeveless pants outfit. She had deep circles under her eyes that looked like she had been sleep-deprived for months. Whoever does styling for these commercials must hate the actresses in them.

It's awful, but not nearly as bad as the hideous overpriced shit in the commercial for The Real Real I've been seeing on Hulu.  Nothing in that commercial makes me want to waste my money there.

40 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I've seen this new commercial in circulation that goes under the "obnoxious brat" category. It features some parents driving home from a PTA meeting, I guess, and get caught sneaking in by their obnoxious entitled daughter who thinks she should have the car because they were late. Ugh.😡

I just saw that one for the first time this weekend.  That brat should be grounded, not rewarded.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

How about the lady from Downy Unstoppables who picks up a piece of laundry, smells it, then says (or thinks) 'still fressshhhh' in a whispery voiceover kind of way?

Just the kind of thing I hate! Don't whisper, whimper, or whine! Speak! Talk! Yell, just don't do it in a voice that;s all air!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I thought she was thinking that, hence the whispery reverb.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

This might actually have been helpful to me when I was younger.  I can totally see an audience for it.  Mind you, I am not currently that audience, but I can see it being useful information.

• Love 10

I HATE the new Amazon commercial.  Honestly I hate Amazon in general.  They behave as if they are this considerate, woke company but in reality all they care about is shelling out their shit.  Example:  the cure for depression and anxiety--buy some of our shit! 🤢

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

This might actually have been helpful to me when I was younger.  I can totally see an audience for it.  Mind you, I am not currently that audience, but I can see it being useful information.

I have to agree! This would have helped me some, instead of having to learn it myself by trial and error on my own bits! It is funny and Amy-ish when she takes a bite out of the donut, but it isn't offensive -- to me.

Edited by TVMovieBuff
  • Love 13
20 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I have to agree! This would have helped me some, instead of having to learn it myself by trial and error on my own bits! It is funny and Amy-ish when she takes a bite out of the donut, but it isn't offensive -- to me.

Yeah, my mom used pads, so she was no help, and it was long before the web was a thing, so I just had to rely on the instructions in the box.  I think it's good to have a demonstration casually out there - and Schumer munching on the doughnut afterward made me laugh.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, my mom used pads, so she was no help, and it was long before the WWW was a thing, so I just had to rely on the instructions in the box.  I think it's good to have a demonstration casually out there - and Schumer munching on the doughnut afterward made me laugh.

Ok now that I have seen it, I agree that it is not trying to be offensive, but helpful. I too knew nothing about tampons when I was a teen, way way back in the day. I tried once to use one, I and thought it was SUPER painful. I guess I didn't read the instructions thoroughly, and I missed the part where you were supposed to take the cardboard applicator out! It sounds so stupid today, but I didn't know, even though I had a mother and older sister. All I had were pads and some serious parental misinformation about when a girl is able to use tampons, think...after marriage...

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, susannah said:

Ok now that I have seen it, I agree that it is not trying to be offensive, but helpful. I too knew nothing about tampons when I was a teen, way way back in the day. I tried once to use one, I and thought it was SUPER painful. I guess I didn't read the instructions thoroughly, and I missed the part where you were supposed to take the cardboard applicator out! It sounds so stupid today, but I didn't know, even though I had a mother and older sister. All I had were pads and some serious parental misinformation about when a girl is able to use tampons, think...after marriage...

Ouch! Oddly enough my seventies era jr. high health class had a tutorial but the instructor told us not to use them until after we were married else we'd get a headache. Of all the Victorian claptrap!

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It looks like she's using a filled donut, not one with a hole, but I'm not watching the video to find out for sure.

Yes. That's what a Bismarck is --- a filled donut. The small hole where she's inserting is where the creme filling is inserted. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Agree!  I think it's also meant to do away with the uncomfortable-ness & taboo of using tampons and periods in general.  When i was a young teen you NEVER EVER discussed periods or how to use any of the feminine products with anyone!  You had one conversation with your mom and that was it.  Anyone too embarrassed to bring it up to your doctor (who was not only a stranger but usually older and a man) just had to figure it out on your own.  Then again I lived in a very conservative, small town.

I'm glad it's not only 2 women discussing it but Amy brings a bit of light humor to everything to help people relax and an actual doctor there to help you along.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Ouch! Oddly enough my seventies era jr. high health class had a tutorial but the instructor told us not to use them until after we were married else we'd get a headache. Of all the Victorian claptrap!

Oh, we were told virgins couldn't use them. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

That was basically what she was saying. It's funny because she was a former Miss Washington who drove a snappy Corvette convertible. Probably it was pressure form some of the parents. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That was basically what she was saying. It's funny because she was a former Miss Washington who drove a snappy Corvette convertible. Probably it was pressure form some of the parents. 

For me, it was back in the early  60s before we boomers invented sex. 

• LOL 13
1 hour ago, TVMovieBuff said:

That part totally grosses me out.  The rest is admittedly useful, but I can't stand Amy Schumer.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

My first try at tampons, I bought a small box of Tampax Juniors. I was in the bathroom, my mother was outside the door yelling "your husband is going to think you did it with other guys!" 

She was against my trying tampons. She never used them, even after being married and having a child.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Getting off the tampons subject, as entertaining as it is....

I know there's been a lot of discussion about the overwhelming number of Rx commercials that are on. Giving it a bit of thought, I can sort of understand the ones for conditions where one might not know that there even *was* a treatment for it. Such as the "crooked zucchini" condition, or that weird hand condition that John Elway has. You might not think to mention it to your doctor (particularly the crooked zucchini one). So I get that this could be helpful.

But I swear, so many are for a drug for diabetes. I mean, if you know you have diabetes, I'm pretty darn sure your doctor knows it as well, and I would hope that if he or she is halfway competent, you're already getting an appropriate treatment. If you're not- get a new doctor!

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 9

and just adding to my previous post- I do have diabetes, and have a standard drug which costs literally pennies per month, and which seems to be working very well for me (along with diet and exercise (trademarked)). Somehow I guess that the "pennies per month" thing is not the case for the drugs being advertised on TV.....

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Getting off the tampons subject, as entertaining as it is....

I know there's been a lot of discussion about the overwhelming number of Rx commercials that are on. Giving it a bit of thought, I can sort of understand the ones for conditions where one might not know that there even *was* a treatment for it. Such as the "crooked zucchini" condition, or that weird hand condition that John Elway has. You might not think to mention it to your doctor (particular the crooked zucchini one). So I get that this could be helpful.

But I swear, so many are for a drug for diabetes. I mean, if you know you have diabetes, I'm pretty darn sure your doctor knows it as well, and I would hope that if he or she is halfway competent, you're already getting an appropriate treatment. If you're not- get a new doctor!

This is what I don't get about these ads. Obviously full disclosure about symptoms is vital, but they always say. "tell your doctor if you have or have had cancer, an organ transplant, limb amputations, rickets, scurvy, beri beri, Dutch Elm disease," but how would one's doctor NOT already know these things? I also think that if one has any of these afflictions, including diabetes, doctors would tell the patient what prescriptions are right for them. I can't stand the ads that tell people to run to their doctors demanding X and Y and Z for whatever.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

and just adding to my previous post- I do have diabetes, and have a standard drug which costs literally pennies per month, and which seems to be working very well for me (along with diet and exercise (trademarked)). Somehow I guess that the "pennies per month" thing is not the case for the drugs being advertised on TV.....

Yeah, I looked up one of them on GoodRx and also my insurance  provider.  The COPAY was $1200. Yikes. 

• Useful 1

Folks,

A few things would be great topics for Small Talk, where all of your off topic dreams come true. (trademark, PPAL).

• Personal experience with medications, costs of those medications, and why people might not tell a doctor everything.
  • Personal experiences with tampons and other feminine hygiene supplies. 

If you're talking commercial, hang out here.  Thanks!

• Love 4
On 11/20/2021 at 2:58 PM, Kemper said:

I hate that Rakuten commercial too!  Agree her outfit is terrible.  What I hate most is that she sings “ on the twelfth day of cha-ching”, as if they’ve turned the holiday into nothing more than “cha-ching”…. A term I’ve always hated in any context.  I think this may be my least favorite holiday commercial ever.  

Edited by CattyK
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

My hate in commercials is a part of many commercials, not just one. 

Commercials about baby products use this a lot. They should stop. Give me commercials with strong voices. Men or women who know how to open their mouths and say something.

I’m glad to know there are others who hate these light voice women on tv!  It’s so annoying.   They seem to be intentionally swallowing half their voice.  

• Love 6