Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The one in the butcher shop would almost make me a vegetarian. 

Not as much as those new KFC ads promoting those alleged chicken sandwiches that appear to be fried with SO much batter that I can't begin to tell which anatomical part of the critter. .or even what kind of critter it had originated from.  At least one can easily tell where's the beef re the State Farm Butcheress! 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

These Stouffer’s “happyfull” commercials — I am not generally upset by made-up words, but please explain to me how “happyfull,” in the context it’s used, conveys anything different than the word “happy.” And if it’s supposed to mean happy and full (of food), why not say “happily full”? Or “fully happy”? “Happyfull” is just stupid.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

I don't understand the Taco Bell commercial that shows a girl and a guy at a beach party, they lock eyes and run down to the surf, they almost kiss and they hear the Taco Bell chime and the next scene is the girl sitting alone in a Taco Bell after midnight chowing down on a Number 4 (or whatever number combo meal), why wouldn't she have invited the guy she seemed so in to on the beach to join her for a greasy late night snack? Was this supposed to be some sort of take on Cinderella?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I don't understand the Taco Bell commercial that shows a girl and a guy at a beach party, they lock eyes and run down to the surf, they almost kiss and they hear the Taco Bell chime and the next scene is the girl sitting alone in a Taco Bell after midnight chowing down on a Number 4 (or whatever number combo meal), why wouldn't she have invited the guy she seemed so in to on the beach to join her for a greasy late night snack? Was this supposed to be some sort of take on Cinderella?

Doesn't the ad end with something like - when you really want a taco, or only a taco will do? The gist I get is their tacos are so good, when you want one, forget the guy, you don't need anything else. 

• Love 6
On 10/21/2021 at 10:11 PM, Gramto6 said:

The problem I have is that the profits if so many of the "pink" items for sale are not going to breast cancer research they are going to the various stores/companies that are selling them.  I was on a breast cancer forum for several years after my surgery and learned a lot.

Exactly! You're better off making a donation directly to the Cancer Society.

On 10/22/2021 at 12:10 PM, ellenr33 said:

Can I just say how much I hate the new Jake from Statefarm! 

It's not Jake I dislike, it's the lunatics giving him weird gifts that I dislike.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Doesn't the ad end with something like - when you really want a taco, or only a taco will do? The gist I get is their tacos are so good, when you want one, forget the guy, you don't need anything else. 

Sad that some men are not as good as a bad taco, lol.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

I really hate the commercial where the inept waiter pops a bottle of champagne and the cork hits the guy in the good eye; the other eye is covered with an eyepatch. 

I have a wonky eye myself, and the idea of losing my good eye is a chilling nightmare. It's not funny.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

Exactly! You're better off making a donation directly to the Cancer Society.

It's not Jake I dislike, it's the lunatics giving him weird gifts that I dislike.

What bothers me is the people are stealing from their employers to give him gifts.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Suzn said:

What bothers me is the people are stealing from their employers to give him gifts.

While I agree that the Pizza Pie'd Piper Lady likely did steal from the unnamed chain to give Jake all those extra toppings, I can give the Butcheress the benefit of the doubt that she could be in business for herself- and thus sabotaged her own profit margin to gift him all that meat he couldn't have used in time had he opened his own Brazillian steak house that very night! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

How rude of her.  I hope the guy dumps her after she comes back from chowing down at Taco Bell.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

How rude of her.  I hope the guy dumps her after she comes back from chowing down at Taco Bell.  

Maybe he could just hang out there and pick up some girl who got a tummy ache there and ask her if she'd prefer getting a hot dog at the beach to ever eating there again! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 10/24/2021 at 5:37 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I took it that the buoy falling over was a ED metaphor. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
On 10/21/2021 at 9:50 PM, Crashcourse said:
On 10/21/2021 at 9:12 PM, Gramto6 said:

As an 8 year breast cancer survivor, I don't miss the "Pinktober" ads at all either!

I dread October for that very reason

I dread it because that's when all the Hallmark Channel starts regurgitating dang Christmas movies!

I'm really perturbed by the Consumer Cellular commercial.  Are they ageist?  Do they really think people born before 1948 aren't competent enough to use an iPhone/smartphone?  If they're still able to talk/text/Facetime/access apps, etc. then what's the difference?  My hub and I are looking to switch providers because our current one is outrageously high (and it's the basest of base prices).  We had TMobile, Puretalk and Consumer Cellular in the running.  As soon as I mention CC to someone, I get the "oh, isn't that for old people?"

• Love 4

I really hate the commercial where the inept waiter pops a bottle of champagne and the cork hits the guy in the good eye; the other eye is covered with an eyepatch. 

I have a wonky eye myself, and the idea of losing my good eye is a chilling nightmare. It's not funny.

I hate that one too. When I worked at a vineyard, we were told over and over again to use extreme caution when opening the sparkling wines because a cork can literally kill someone.

• Love 6
On 10/24/2021 at 6:37 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

OMG, I was coming here to post this!!! So stupid, and yes I got the "Cinderella" vibe as well but to what point? Was he supposed to follow her? Was she hypnotized to whenever she hears that "gong" sound that she has to go to Taco Bell? And you're promoting a young girl on a beach alone with a strange guy, who leaves to walk late at night to a fast food restaurant? Huh? Makes no sense. 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:42 AM, cinsays said:

Probably just me, but i hate the Reese's commercials, the guy's voice and cockiness just annoys me. Not sorry.

Hate these commercials, especially since I think Reese's is overrated as a candy, never got the big deal about them. Sorry not sorry.

• Love 9

Worst Medicare Advantage ad is the one with Wanda (I believe her name is), the old lady with the glasses, who keeps saying she won't call for info on Medicare Advantage. I'd even watch "Dynomite" Walker before this one.  And people complain about annoying kids in ads!  Someone should clobber her with a bucket of chicken.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

But the Medicare Advantage ad that actually amuses me is the one with Joe Montana doing everything with such ease and perfection.  I think all the MA ads have beaten me down so that I've come around to enjoying at least ONE of 'em.

I don't see anything on Consumer Cellular's website geared specifically to old people even though their ads skew that way. The only thing they do that actually seems to be for old people is the AARP discount. I've enjoyed their service for years now. They even provide roadside assistance for an extra $3 a month.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

They even provide roadside assistance for an extra $3 a month.

Apparently a number of other mobile phone companies provide this service.  I was surprised to discover this.  It seemed somewhat in congruent.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Apparently a number of other mobile phone companies provide this service.  I was surprised to discover this.  It seemed somewhat in congruent.

I actually think it's a good fit - having a cell phone/cell service and being able to call for roadside assistance seem like complementary services.  Makes at least as much sense as the free Hulu I get with my cell service (not that I'm complaining about that!)

• Love 4

The electric car commercial with the guy using the squeegee.  Really don't like the car driver's attitude.  Isn't it common knowledge that the squeegee is for people pumping gas?  You wouldn't walk into a restaurant and take croutons from the salad bar if you didn't buy a salad.

• Love 5

There is a new Medicare Supplement commercial out. This one has a crabby/nasty old woman sporting huge, fake glasses. She is so terrible, so obnoxious, so toxic, such a caricature, such an insult to senior citizens everywhere, that I have a visceral reaction to her. I literally want to go through the screen and smack her silly. I am a senior citizen myself - so I can trash her in a public forum. 😎

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

There is a new Medicare Supplement commercial out. This one has a crabby/nasty old woman sporting huge, fake glasses. She is so terrible, so obnoxious, so toxic, such a caricature, such an insult to senior citizens everywhere, that I have a visceral reaction to her. I literally want to go through the screen and smack her silly. I am a senior citizen myself - so I can trash her in a public forum. 😎

I complained about that one above.  She needs to get off my lawn!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, BexKeps said:

OMG, I was coming here to post this!!! So stupid, and yes I got the "Cinderella" vibe as well but to what point? Was he supposed to follow her? Was she hypnotized to whenever she hears that "gong" sound that she has to go to Taco Bell? And you're promoting a young girl on a beach alone with a strange guy, who leaves to walk late at night to a fast food restaurant? Huh? Makes no sense. 

Hate these commercials, especially since I think Reese's is overrated as a candy, never got the big deal about them. Sorry not sorry.

The guy's voice is Will Arnett. I love Reese's. It's just a matter of taste. I love the textures of smooth chocolate and rough peanut butter. And the tiny salty bits.

• Love 6
On 10/25/2021 at 10:07 AM, ctlady said:

I dread it because that's when all the Hallmark Channel starts regurgitating dang Christmas movies!

Wait, the Hallmark Channel stops playing Christmas movies? 😲

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I know you're being snarky, but yes. Up to October 22 mystery & movies channel was airing Monk from noon to 3 pm. I guess no Monk until after Christmas 😒

I can't even tell what they're supposed to be advertising, but the talking ass pants are SO damn annoying. Yes that's right, men talking out of their asses.  Through their pants.  Bugs the F out of me.  I can't get to the mute button fast enough haha.  I know. Don't let it get to me. Easier said, yada yada. Its really cool to have a place to come and vent.  Feeling better already lol

1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

July called.  They want their movies back

• LOL 4
On 10/24/2021 at 4:22 PM, Blergh said:

and thus sabotaged her own profit margin to gift him all that meat he couldn't have used in time had he opened his own Brazillian steak house that very night! 

Freezing it works.

I do find that one kind of gross, and I eat meat.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:07 AM, ctlady said:

Hallmark and Lifetime.  UGH

22 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

What I find funny about the Consumer Cellular commercials is everyone in them seems live in big expensive houses, just bought a second house or go to an expensive vacation house. But worry about paying too much for a cellphone. 

How do you think they afforded the second house and the expensive vacation?  lol

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Uggh. I’ve been getting ads lately on streaming for some kind on abilify, I think, with these cgi people who are the very definition of “ uncanny valley”. 

I hate that. The reason I will never watch The Polar Express again.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, AnnA said:

I hate those Medicare Advantage commercials.  They repeat them over and over and over again.  I hope there aren't too many people falling for it.   

Falling for what?  These Medicare Advantage plans, as annoying and irritating as the commercials are as well as being aired continuously from October to December, are bona fide plans offered by real insurance companies to supplement Parts A and B of Medicare.  You can't just be covered by Medicare alone.  You need prescription coverage for one thing.  Many are zero premiums and zero deductibles and offer added benefits.  The trick is conquering the task of comparing all the plans available in your area to see what's right for you.  They aren't a trick or a gimmick.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Falling for what?  These Medicare Advantage plans, as annoying and irritating as the commercials are as well as being aired continuously from October to December, are bona fide plans offered by real insurance companies to supplement Parts A and B of Medicare.  You can't just be covered by Medicare alone.  You need prescription coverage for one thing.  Many are zero premiums and zero deductibles and offer added benefits.  The trick is conquering the task of comparing all the plans available in your area to see what's right for you.  They aren't a trick or a gimmick.

The plans are real but the hotline puts you through to a licensed insurance agent who may work for a brokerage company that receives money from the insurance companies in exchange for signing people up to their Medicare supplemental programs.  The only slightly shady thing is that the commercial doesn't make it clear that this is what the helpline is.  It's not a government agency in business to give you information like it may appear to be in the ad.  But even so, the insurance agents, depending on what company they work for, are not on commission but salaried and so make the same money no matter which plan you choose.  So they usually don't steer you toward one plan or another but help you make the right choice for you.  My husband and I were actually referred to such an agent by a friend who recommended him highly.  Due to recent changes in our circumstances we are talking with him again tomorrow to have him help my husband choose a different plan.  If not for this guy we wouldn't know the first thing to do, especially with all the recent government policies in effect during the pandemic.  He has given us more advice and information than anyone on this subject.  So actually these companies are usually legit and not scams at all.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

The plans are real but the hotline puts you through to a licensed insurance agent who may work for a brokerage company that receives money from the insurance companies in exchange for signing people up to their Medicare supplemental programs.  The only slightly shady thing is that the commercial doesn't make it clear that this is what the helpline is.  It's not a government agency in business to give you information like it may appear to be in the ad.  But even so, the insurance agents, depending on what company they work for, are not on commission but salaried and so make the same money no matter which plan you choose.  So they usually don't steer you toward one plan or another but help you make the right choice for you.  My husband and I were actually referred to such an agent by a friend who recommended him highly.  Due to recent changes in our circumstances we are talking with him again tomorrow to have him help my husband choose a different plan.  If not for this guy we wouldn't know the first thing to do, especially with all the recent government policies in effect during the pandemic.  He has given us more advice and information than anyone on this subject.  So actually these companies are usually legit and not scams at all.

Exactly.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Exactly.

Although I forgot to say that the commercials are still damned annoying!  And Joe Namath, ugh, please just make him go away already!!  I almost sprained my hand lunging for the remote to mute him the other day because I just can't take another minute of him!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

What?  Andromeda Debarry might be a scammer?  Say it isn't so.  

I googled her. She really is an insurance person, she lives in Charlotte, NC, and one site actually posted her address, including apartment number.  I still can't look at her without seeing her neck and thinking "Michelin Man."  And she spells her name funny - Andromada. (DeBerry).

Parts A & B (hospital & major medical) are administered by CMS (Center for Medicare/Medicaid) a government entity. It's like regular health insurance - has monthly premiums (that come out of your social security), an annual deductible, and co-pays. Part C - Medicare Advantage - is an HMO-like plan, administered by different insurance companies, which may have different "perks" to the plans, depending on the company. Part D - Prescription coverage - is also administered by private insurance companies. You do NOT have to have Part D if you don't want it. You do NOT get Part C to supplement A&B. You get either A/B or C.  And D if you want it.

You don't see ads for A/B because it's administered by the government.

Personally, my monthly prescriptions cost WAY less than Part D coverage would cost, so I never signed up for it.  I did find out later, though, that if/when I DO sign up for it, they figure out how many months I might have had it and didn't, and calculate a surcharge based on that number of months. That surcharge is added MONTHLY to the Part D premium in perpetuity.  I do not understand why they don't TELL people that up front.  (I learned it from a stranger in a hotel hot-tub - it's her job to advise people on Medicare/Medicaid) There is an exception, however, to the surcharge and that's being "low-income."

Also, if you have A/B, you can avoid co-pays by getting supplemental insurance from a private company. Mine is through Mutual of Omaha. They pay the left-over 20% that Medicare doesn't pay, and (this was a pleasant surprise) if you're hospitalized, they'll pay the Plan A deductible, which was $1400 when I had my gall bladder removed in 2020,

Health care professionals do not like Medicare - they reduce the fees by SO much - but they hate Medicare Advantage even more. It's hard to find a doctor around here who'll even take MA patients. That's something Andromada DeBerry isn't gonna tell you.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

This commercial is irritating me for a few reasons. It's making me wonder how they find out what prescription strength a kid that young needs since they can't take an eye test. The other reason is how he's pulling on that drawer so hard at the end. All I can think about when seeing him do that is him doing so on something that's not bolted to the wall and having a piece of furniture come crashing forward. There was a commercial in regular rotation not long ago about that very subject. It just seems careless for a baby oriented company like Huggies to not have anyone think the same about their own commercial before it was approved.

Edited by Jaded

as @Prevailing Wind wind said in much more detail, here's the bottom line:

Medicare Advantage is NOT THE SAME AS a Medicare Supplemental Plan

Going into details would be definitely off-topic, but my father deeply regretted going to MA from his supplemental policy in the last year of his life. MA is like an HMO with LOTS of restrictions. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

as @Prevailing Wind wind said in much more detail, here's the bottom line:

Medicare Advantage is NOT THE SAME AS a Medicare Supplemental Plan

Going into details would be definitely off-topic, but my father deeply regretted going to MA from his supplemental policy in the last year of his life. MA is like an HMO with LOTS of restrictions. 

That's true, but if you have a good insurance agent they'll explain the difference to you and help you find a plan or combination of plans that may or may not include Medicare Advantage.  I can't speak for all agents especially the ones in those commercials and whether they just push MA or also include supplemental plans that you pay for.  I think the hook with those commercials is telling people they can get stuff free but from what I hear Medicare Advantage plans are not even available to everyone everywhere, or may not be very good even if available depending on the area.  And not disclosing that may be another misleading aspect of the commercial.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Although I forgot to say that the commercials are still damned annoying!  And Joe Namath, ugh, please just make him go away already!!  I almost sprained my hand lunging for the remote to mute him the other day because I just can't take another minute of him!!

what? you prefer j j walker?  its FREEEEEE!!!

• LOL 4