Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I've seen this new commercial in circulation that goes under the "obnoxious brat" category. It features some parents driving home from a PTA meeting, I guess, and get caught sneaking in by their obnoxious entitled daughter who thinks she should have the car because they were late. Ugh.😡

Of course it's a Lexus.  Bring back the giant bows!

18 hours ago, bankerchick said:

How about the lady from Downy Unstoppables who picks up a piece of laundry, smells it, then says (or thinks) 'still fressshhhh' in a whispery voiceover kind of way?

I don't mind the voice and she still cracks me up with her dancing.

I can't even look at the Amy Shumer commercial.  No thanks.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It looks like she's using a filled donut, not one with a hole, but I'm not watching the video to find out for sure.

19 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Yes. That's what a Bismarck is --- a filled donut. The small hole where she's inserting is where the creme filling is inserted. 

You guys aren't helping with the visualization! 🤢

19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ouch! Oddly enough my seventies era jr. high health class had a tutorial but the instructor told us not to use them until after we were married else we'd get a headache. Of all the Victorian claptrap!

I thought the headaches started after you got married?

Edited by Gharlane
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, CattyK said:

I hate that Rakuten commercial too!  Agree her outfit is terrible.  What I hate most is that she sings “ on the twelfth day of cha-ching”, as if they’ve turned the holiday into nothing more than “cha-ching”…. A term I’ve always hated in any context.  I think this may be my least favorite holiday commercial ever.  

Hey, at least it's truth in advertising about Conspicuous Consumption Season!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

I cannot stand the commercial for Peleton which feature Scrooge.

YES! And it seems to be a series of commercials.  Did they make the actor work out IRL so he could be all pumped from his Peleton?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, madmax said:

YES! And it seems to be a series of commercials.  Did they make the actor work out IRL so he could be all pumped from his Peleton?

My guess is that they picked someone who'd ALREADY worked out and rejected all those who they thought were too flabby or fat to sell their product. 

Regardless, Dickens depicted him as a bitter old man who only seemed to hang on due to said bitterness and NOT any kind of Hercules or Adonis. 

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, Blergh said:

My guess is that they picked someone who'd ALREADY worked out and rejected all those who they thought were too flabby or fat to sell their product. 

Regardless, Dickens depicted him as a bitter old man who only seemed to hang on due to said bitterness and NOT any kind of Hercules or Adonis. 

Scrooge was described thusly:

Gentlemen of the free-and-easy sort, who plume themselves on being acquainted with a move or two, and being usually equal to the time-of-day, express the wide range of their capacity for adventure by observing that they are good for anything from pitch-and-toss to manslaughter; between which opposite extremes, no doubt, there lies a tolerably wide and comprehensive range of subjects. Without venturing for Scrooge quite as hardily as this, I don't mind calling on you to believe that he was ready for a good broad field of strange appearances, and that nothing between a baby and rhinoceros would have astonished him very much.

Dickens was freakin' hilarious.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just saw the Medicare commercial with Martha, and really hate it.   

When my mom first saw that commercial, her reaction was along the lines of, "Someone actually filmed this, showed it to other people, and decided that yes, this is an ad that should be on TV, and won't annoy anyone whatsoever." 

• LOL 18
  • Love 5
On 11/21/2021 at 10:54 AM, susannah said:

I don't know what product it is for, but I loathe the one where the waitress collapses in the diner.

I absolutely hate this commercial so it's nice to see that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I'm a retired ER nurse and while I have helped a few people who were choking in restaurants where I was eating I would never have taken the time to go on and on like this waitress does. I'm also not really sure what they're advertising which, in my opinion, makes it a total miss. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, shlbycindyk said:

I absolutely hate this commercial so it's nice to see that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I'm a retired ER nurse and while I have helped a few people who were choking in restaurants where I was eating I would never have taken the time to go on and on like this waitress does. I'm also not really sure what they're advertising which, in my opinion, makes it a total miss. 

It is for Sling TV. The person helping the waitress is a customer, not a nurse, she just watches a lot of medical shows on Sling TV. She says good news, her kidneys are beating!! Very stupid commercial!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

It is for Sling TV. The person helping the waitress is a customer, not a nurse, she just watches a lot of medical shows on Sling TV. She says good news, her kidneys are beating!! Very stupid commercial!

They're even dumber commercials than the Holiday Inn Express ones were. "I'm not ...., but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!" as though that confers some kind of genius on you.

• Love 5

There's a commercial for....something, I don't care what, that only has Jingle Bells being played on a pan flute or some other annoying instrument.   I can't mute it quickly enough because it starts immediately.  I can't take another month of this aural monstrosity creeping up on me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/20/2021 at 3:58 PM, Kemper said:

The Rakuten Christmas commercial. The woman has on the worst outfit. Terrible plaid pants (looks like purple but could be red) with matching top. The previous commercial had a woman singing and dancing in an ugly green sleeveless pants outfit. She had deep circles under her eyes that looked like she had been sleep-deprived for months. Whoever does styling for these commercials must hate the actresses in them.

I just noticed this commercial last night. I'd seen it before but it didn't click then. That woman in obnoxious, as is the ad. The only thing that is cute is the stuffed bear that rides down the railing after her.

• Love 2
On 10/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, dleighg said:

This is a beautifully photographed ad, and I'm sure I'm in their target demographic (as part of an older couple that has cancelled/postponed a few international trips in the last year and a half), but it is driving me insane. It's on constant rotation on my TV, and the ending is so stupid. The "acting" at the end "Could you please send this (letter) before we go?" and it's the words he's been saying--- "to the curious."

https://discover.silversea.com/to-the-curious/letter-to-the-curious/

(quoting myself). I just learned that the photographer in question took the iconic NatGeo photograph of an Afghan girl in 1985, who is again in the news as a refugee in Italy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/26/world/europe/afghan-girl-national-geographic.html

• Useful 3

I've mentioned before that I don't like that ad for the urine wick thingie where the younger woman opens the drapes to let the sun in and then SO condescendingly asks her mom how she slept last night.

NOW that same woman is in a commercial for "A Place for Mom."  I guess she got tired of emptying the piss reservoir.

• LOL 11
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Ikea has lost me with the muscular teddy bears, are they selling those teddy bears in their stores?  All of the people in the commercial seem to be doing a lot of things at once...I just do not get it.

Those are the ones who are standing guard outside the house, right?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've mentioned before that I don't like that ad for the urine wick thingie where the younger woman opens the drapes to let the sun in and then SO condescendingly asks her mom how she slept last night.

NOW that same woman is in a commercial for "A Place for Mom."  I guess she got tired of emptying the piss reservoir.

She might be the first woman in a commercial who moved to A Place for Mom to get away from her daughter.

I've warned my family if they ever came in my room and opened my drapes while I'm sleeping. I can't promise they won't be harmed.

• LOL 19
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

She might be the first woman in a commercial who moved to A Place for Mom to get away from her daughter.

I've warned my family if they ever came in my room and opened my drapes while I'm sleeping. I can't promise they won't be harmed.

I guess I wasn't clear - it's the daughter looking for A Place for Mom. But I agree, if she were my daughter, she'd get the benefit of my wrath with the heat of a thousand nuns.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I just really think the name of that facility is insulting. It's like, "where can we stick the crone?" Joan Lunden is getting up there, and she might be headed for such a place herself if her kids can't be bothered to care for her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 11/22/2021 at 9:21 PM, CattyK said:

I’m glad to know there are others who hate these light voice women on tv!  It’s so annoying.   They seem to be intentionally swallowing half their voice.  

This one drives me nuts: "if there's anything that you want, if there's anything that you need....."

It's a remake of a Beatles song with somebody singing it in falsetto. Enough with the "little girl" cutesy voices. 

And they run that ad every commercial break. 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

This one drives me nuts: "if there's anything that you want, if there's anything that you need....."

It's a remake of a Beatles song with somebody singing it in falsetto. Enough with the "little girl" cutesy voices. 

And they run that ad every commercial break. 

I just looked it up and this version is by a Norwegian singer named Ane Brun.  I think her voice sounds creepy and I hate it whenever that commercial comes on.

• Love 6
On 11/22/2021 at 2:48 PM, susannah said:

This is what I don't get about these ads. Obviously full disclosure about symptoms is vital, but they always say. "tell your doctor if you have or have had cancer, an organ transplant, limb amputations, rickets, scurvy, beri beri, Dutch Elm disease," but how would one's doctor NOT already know these things? I also think that if one has any of these afflictions, including diabetes, doctors would tell the patient what prescriptions are right for them. I can't stand the ads that tell people to run to their doctors demanding X and Y and Z for whatever.

When people move from doctor to doctor or one med group to another they don’t always transfer the records, so in many cases the current doctor only knows what you disclose on your medical history form.  It’s a CYA thing that they make your fill out a history form over and over again instead of asking what changed since the last time you were there.  My late husband had a wide range of medical issues and I was always amazed at the disconnect of info between his cardiologist and pulmonologist who were part of the same med group.  Each one seemed to always be behind in knowing the more recents events from the other, often referencing information that was many months to a couple of years behind his current treatment plan.

One of my annoyances is the requirement to fill out irrelevant questions.  I’m in my sixties now so how is it important at this point to know the exact date I had my first period? And since both of my parents are dead, there has been no change to what they died from or when they died so why do I need to regurgitate this every time? To put the onus on the patient for providing complete information to reduce chances of lawsuits.

and recently I went in for surgery and had to go to the lab to get a blood test to determine my blood type.  After multiple surgeries and chemo I’m pretty sure my blood type is in my chart.  But nope, they retest it every time just to make sure the record is correct.  Not because they think it changed from O+ to AB- since last time I was there.

Edited by Woopwoopkitty
Adding more whining.
  • Useful 7
  • Love 2

I hate that Rakuten commercial too!  Agree her outfit is terrible.  What I hate most is that she sings “ on the twelfth day of cha-ching”, as if they’ve turned the holiday into nothing more than “cha-ching”…. A term I’ve always hated in any context.  I think this may be my least favorite holiday commercial ever.  

This ad is awful. And the way she pronounces cha-ching sounds too much like Chachi and I fucking hate Scott Baio.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

When people move from doctor to doctor or one med group to another they don’t always transfer the records, so in many cases the current doctor only knows what you disclose on your medical history form. 

I changed doctors one time and I had to have the previous doctors records copied and I had to physically carry them to the new doctor. It was strange, but I did get to read my records, which was interesting (fortunately no "Elaine"-type notes).

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Have I mentioned how much I hate the commercials for D+'s trashy shows whilke I watch The Science Channel recently?

On 11/24/2021 at 10:19 PM, Gramto6 said:

They are obviously trying to rip off those old Holiday Inn Express commercials.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 11/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, friendperidot said:

Young woman lists all the things she could be allergic to and that she could take them all out of her diet and put them back in one at a time or she could find out what's actually the problem. "I'm gonna do that!" It the smug way she says that, that makes me want smack her upside the head.

Ugh, she annoys me too, mainly because of the way she says "that" -- "I'll do thAHt."

• Love 5
On 11/29/2021 at 1:24 AM, Maverick said:

Dear Tracy Morgan:  Please STFU.   Thanks.  

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I thought I was the only one who felt that way!  During the World Series he seemed to be on every commercial break.  I kept the remote close by so I could mute him. 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am tired of the Meta commercial, the one in the museum with the jungle picture that comes to life...it seems it is one of four commercials that runs on Hulu during my binge of the old Bob Newhart Show.

I am as well.  I liked it in the beginning, but they run it so much on HULU.

• Love 3

I think it's been mentioned before- but there's this ad for a migraine med with one-of-the-khardashians in it (I don't care enough to tell them apart).

She's supposedly cuddling/playing with her little girl, with these finger nails out to HERE. I mean they are well over an inch long past the flesh.

No mother who does a lick of real work around the house/actually play with kids can keep those kind of nails. JMHO. Drives me nuts. And do people REALLY think nails like that are actually attractive? (rhetorical question, as obviously, some people do)

• Love 16

There's a commercial with a krinkle-cut auto-tuned redhead who "sings" in a commercial for Universal Studios' Holiday theme nights that annoys the hell out of me for numerous reasons, the least of which is it doesn't make me want to go there for my Xmas holiday.

ETA:

You might want to mute this...

Edited by Gharlane
16 hours ago, dleighg said:

No mother who does a lick of real work around the house/actually play with kids can keep those kind of nails.

Well, it is a Kardashian, so . . . 

I'd previously commented on that commercial, wondering how personal hygiene tasks could possibly be accomplished well with nails like that.  Not that I really want to know about a Kardashian's bodily functions, but I couldn't help wondering.  Those nails look awful, imo.  (I fully accept that this opinion probably ranks up there with wanting those kids off my lawn.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I just looked it up, and, yeah, wow, those are long nails.  But I don't think it would be particularly hard to accomplish tasks with them; the only time I wonder about that is with the super-long nails that are curved.

• Love 1

I just saw the commercial for Carolina Herrera Good Girl/Bad Boy fragrances. It annoys, irritates and outright enrages me that the men's fragrance bottle is shaped like a lightning bolt while the women's is shaped like a device used to torture and maim women for decades.

image.png.5cc65d98cde1b846c31cf6bd183c1671.png

• LOL 3
  • Love 13