Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Really getting tired of those tena commercials with the woman coyly referring to her skin "down there".

No one needs to imagine anything about your flaps and whoever thought of this commercial needs to mop the third rail

• LOL 10
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I feel like advertisers are between a rock and a hard place with this. If they don't include disabled (or differently abled, or your term of choice) people, they are accused of ignoring an important segment of our society, but if they do, they may face accusations of pandering. 

When I look back on the history of TV advertising in the US (and I'm no scholar, this is just personal observation), it started out all White. Well, you did have the Asian woman who did laundry ("Ancient Chinese Secret") and the occasional Black woman who was a cheerful servant to Whites, like Aunt Jemima. Women were housewives being instructed on how to cook, clean, and serve their husbands and children. Slowly, slowly, and often with pushback, it has expanded to include single women, men doing household chores, people of color, gay people, and interracial couples, and hopefully, yes, disabled people as normal members of society, not objects of pity. So I feel pretty good about that.

I haven't necessarily seen the specific ad referenced, but I would say it's good to including a woman in a wheelchair as ordinary. My problem with the "All Strength, No Sweat" ads are that they depict women in situations in which they SHOULD be sweating (working out, hello!) and seem to harken back to the olden days of "Ladies" don't sweat (or fart, or poop, I guess).

It's not patronizing to include disabled people in commercials because we are consumers. I haven't seen that particular ad however I have seen ads with deaf people using sign language for Chick-Fil-A and Marriott.

• Love 7

While I'm on a roll, the uber eats commercial with that annoying music and some moron going OooooOOOOOOoOh! Needs to be thrown back into the sewage pond it was fished out of and sink to the bottom with the rest of the turds. And they show it not once, but twice during every commercial break

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 8/14/2020 at 8:36 PM, Tashalynn29 said:

Really getting tired of those tena commercials with the woman coyly referring to her skin "down there".

One of the toilet paper companies, Angel Soft. (saw it again today) is using "down there." It's toilet paper! Yes, it can be used to blow your nose, stem the blood in a razor cut, but it is toilet paper! Stop using that phrase.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 14

The Experian cow. Please someone tell me that the cow really wasn't spray painted purple and trotted out for those stupid commercials with that goofy looking guy? Where's PETA ?

Isn't Experian a credit reporting agency? So why do they need to advertise? I know I have no choice on who reports my credit ratings...it's Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. 

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

The Experian cow. Please someone tell me that the cow really wasn't spray painted purple and trotted out for those stupid commercials with that goofy looking guy? Where's PETA ?

Isn't Experian a credit reporting agency? So why do they need to advertise? I know I have no choice on who reports my credit ratings...it's Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. 

Relax, the cow is CGI. Yes, Experian is a credit reporting agency, but evidently has a feature that can boost credit ratings.

My question is, why a cow?

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
33 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Relax, the cow is CGI. Yes, Experian is a credit reporting agency, but evidently has a feature that can boost credit ratings.

My question is, why a cow?

Thanks for the info on the cow. And yes...why a cow?? A purple cow??

Advertisers are making less and less sense in whatever da phuck they're attempting to convey. 

The only time I spend on viewing commercials are those few seconds where my remote isn't in my hand to hit "mute" or change channels. But I've developed good skills over the years and now consider myself to be like "Quick Draw McGraw"......I can mute or channel change much faster than ever!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I know I have no choice on who reports my credit ratings...it's Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. 

And Innovis.

I never saw a Purple Cow,
I never hope to see one;
But I can tell you, anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one

-- Gelett Burgess

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 5
  • Love 14
15 hours ago, Tashalynn29 said:

While I'm on a roll, the uber eats commercial with that annoying music and some moron going OooooOOOOOOoOh! Needs to be thrown back into the sewage pond it was fished out of and sink to the bottom with the rest of the turds. And they show it not once, but twice during every commercial break

Is this the one with the naming of all the foods? Because in the one I am thinking of, the voice says "hot pot." Is that even something that can be ordered to go? Other than that, I like the commercial because I like seeing all the food because I am a very hungry girl! Oh, and in it, the voice also says "cantelOOP" (presumably to rhyme), which made me laugh.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1

There is a new commercial running every 5 minutes on HGTV for a new show Vacation House Rules.  This guy's voice is so awful that there is no way I could watch the show except maybe with closed captions.  Talk about chalk on a blackboard.  yuck.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, cinsays said:

There is a new commercial running every 5 minutes on HGTV for a new show Vacation House Rules.  This guy's voice is so awful that there is no way I could watch the show except maybe with closed captions.  Talk about chalk on a blackboard.  yuck.

That's with host Scott McGillivray. I adore him, he's one of my tv boyfriends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/13/2020 at 8:57 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

Bonus entry: some life affirming ad has been running lately (along the lines of "Pass it On" or something) where an apparent early-era Belieber goes into a barber shop with two dickhead friends. He lets the barber finish an entire haircut, looks at it, says "Shorter." Ok. Barber gets back to work. LOoks at it again. "Shorter." Eventually gets to the point where the barber shaves his head clear so he can prompose (don't get me started on this shit) to a girl who has either lost all her hair due to chemo or had some other medical condition that caused it to be lost (though her eyebrows remain intact?). WHY ARE YOU WASTING THE BARBER"S TIME? If you want a clean shaven head, (a) START by saying so to this man so he can get on with his business, or better yet, SHAVE IT YOURSELF. Fucking asshole. How long does it take to notice your barber's cutting a quarter inch off when you want to go down to the skin? I hope the barber charged him for three fucking haircuts. Asshole kid. Also not sure I love the "Look, prom date, you're a freak because your hair is gone, but now that my head is shaved, it's appropriate for us to go to prom as one freak and one knight in shining armor who shaved his head, even though I'll have to do so again before the prom and I'm not promising I'm doing that, I mean I have to be in pictures forever, right?" sentiment. If you want to go to prom with her, just ask her, That's the way to make her feel most normal, not by drawing more attention to the situation. 

As a breast cancer survivor and chemotherapy hair-loss patient, I hate the sentiment that other people should have no hair to support you.  Enjoyed your rant although I thankfully haven't seen this barber shop trio ad.  Is prompose a thing where they ask you to the prom or propose marriage at the prom? 

• Love 7

There is a Verizon commercial that uses only people standing in front of a blank white backdrop that has a woman that comes on second, with a silly expression of smugness and shaking her head, that irritates me.  Also the family of four with a chick wearing rolled-up faded jeans above her ankle boots who is old enough to pay for her own damn cell phone plan but still relies of Dad to pay her bills.  Annoying people.

• Love 6

The horrible trend of warbling unintelligible singing in commercials continues.  Downy commercial.  Horrible singer warbles what sounds like "Housh Housh baby, you know (unintelligible). MMMMM MMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMM.  There is more but they speak over it.  Even if they didn't, it probably wouldn't be distinguishable anyway.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 12
On 8/9/2020 at 3:15 PM, icemiser69 said:

I don't like those commercials anymore than you do.   I want them to put down the damn camera and immediately help the animals, instead of wasting time filming them.🐱🐶  

A while back (12?  13 years?) it came out that the Westminster Dog Show would not accept those commercials as people would change the channel and not come back!

Per the Amy Shumer Tampax commercial:  I have no beef with her, I kinda like her cooking show, but really?  You are how old and you never realized tampons come in different sizes?  I am all for making some side bank, but......don't sound stupid doing it.

On 8/13/2020 at 2:25 PM, QuinnInND said:

So when you turn 60, you automatically have "limitations"?  Like you're infirm all of a sudden.

I am 55 so........

On 8/11/2020 at 8:09 PM, BW Manilowe said:

They also might be from Alabama/elsewhere in the South. My maternal grandparents were from Alabama & I remember my grandma saying “warsh” instead of “wash”. I think my grandpa did it too, but I’m not quite as clear on that as I am on my grandma doing it.

My mom was born in raised in the heart of Mineapolis and said "warsh" as well - she also called the finished basement the "root cellar."  Just for the record, we never stored food down there, unless it was in the freezer!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

The horrible trend of warbling unintelligible singing in commercials continues.  Downy commercial.  Horrible singer warbles what sounds like "Housh Housh baby, you know (unintelligible). MMMMM MMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMM. 

"Hush Hush Baby" by Lxandra.

The lyrics are:

Hush hush, baby, nobody will break you
[humming]
You told me "Hush hush, baby, nobody will break you"

I agree that "hush" sounds really weird.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

My mom was born in raised in the heart of Mineapolis and said "warsh" as well - she also called the finished basement the "root cellar."  Just for the record, we never stored food down there, unless it was in the freezer!

You and I are probably related.  My father always called our refrigerator the "ice box."

I know it's been mentioned upthread, but I'm really sick of the "Safe drivers save 40%" that shows the Allstate guy trying to order food at a counter.  Everybody in the commercial starts chanting that like a bunch morons.

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

You and I are probably related.  My father always called our refrigerator the "ice box."

My dad says ice box.  And he calls gas petrol.  He also for some reasons spells the words nite and alrite and colour.  He was born in the US as were his parents and all 4 of his grand parents and I believe all his great-grandparents.  There's literally no reason for him to think he's British.

• LOL 22
9 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

My father always called our refrigerator the "ice box."

I had a relative who still had an actual ice box in the 1980s.  

In commercial-related news, the American Home Shield ad just played for the millionth time in the last hour, and it really bugs me.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Pediasure.

I want to exterminate the kid with the hideous voice and teeth.  Aren't consumers supposed to have a positive response to commercials?

The one in the tank top looks like a young Ricky Martin when he was in Menudo.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 8/15/2020 at 11:40 PM, CrystalBlue said:

There is a Verizon commercial that uses only people standing in front of a blank white backdrop that has a woman that comes on second, with a silly expression of smugness and shaking her head, that irritates me.  Also the family of four with a chick wearing rolled-up faded jeans above her ankle boots who is old enough to pay for her own damn cell phone plan but still relies of Dad to pay her bills.  Annoying people.

I have not noticed the smug head-shake--I'll look out for it next time--but I really am not seeing what's annoying about a family using a cell phone plan that includes someone that may be able to pay for her own (not that I can tell by looking how old she may be, regardless of her jeans and shoes). Why not take advantage of an inexpensive, inclusive plan? And we don't know she doesn't pay back her parents for it (my BF is still on his mom's group plan because that's the plan she wanted; he just pays his own bill every month. My service blows lately; maybe I'll get in on that too).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

The "Extend Bar" exercise woman: does anyone else find her shiny silver spandex work out pants to be ill fitting? 

Her crotch looks like it starts halfway down her thighs. I think it's just a way for her to hide the camel toe look.  Seems like everyone is a fitness expert these days. I have no idea who she is. Oh wait, I do know who she is.....a NOBODY. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 8/13/2020 at 4:27 PM, icemiser69 said:

The Johnsonville Sausage Grill is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever seen.    It looks like a complete waste of money to me.   The grill is made to grill sausage links and sausage patties.   It should come with two flat plates for cooking other items as well.

That looks like one of those parody ads they used to run on Saturday Night Live.

On 8/14/2020 at 3:58 PM, chenoa333 said:

Wayfair.com wants us to believe Kelly Clarkson furnishes her 3? multi million dollar homes with items from Wayfair. Haha and LOL!

On 8/14/2020 at 5:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

Yes and Brooke Shields has La-Z-Boy all over her multi million dollar abode.

My favorite one of this type of ad is when retired NBA star (seven foot tall, 300 plus pounds) and current TV analyst  Shaquille O'Neal was promoting a Buick sedan. The fellow analysts on his show actually dared him to prove he could fit in that car.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

There's a bill before the California state legislature to make flavored cigarettes and e-cigarettes illegal because they appeal to kids.  In particular, menthol flavored.  Now there is a series of ads saying that the the bill is racist because it's aimed at the black community because menthol is their favorite flavor.  I can't read the fine print at the bottom of the screen which says who the sponsor of the ad is, but I'm sure they must be associated with the tobacco industry.

• Love 4
On 8/13/2020 at 10:54 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Listen, I totally get that Dove is trying to show their deodorant is for everyone, as indicated with the flashes of all kinds of people. But rather than feel like the woman in the wheelchair is Dove's answer to diversity, I feel more like it's pandering, e.g. "Look at us! We included a woman who is disabled! We're so awesome!

For the life of me, I don't see why Dove has to go out of their way with this marketing tactic.  How can their deodorant NOT be for EVERY woman (hey - or a guy who wants to use Dove)?  Unless you were born armpit-less, it's pretty much for ANYONE

On 8/14/2020 at 10:45 AM, icemiser69 said:

I am 57 and I'm noticing more and more commercials talk about the age of 60 as if it's all over then

A 58-year old over here and since right before I turned 54, I've dropped 30 lbs by lifting weights 4x week (up at 5:15 am before work), power walk several times a week, can mow a lawn, sand a deck (on my hands and knees), do tire flips, flail battle ropes, etc.  My brother who just turned 65 bikes appx 25 miles every morning.  I'm in better shape and health (no meds or physical ailments) now than I was 20 years ago.  I almost barked at my cousins wife (who is obese and 61) who basically said that we should just accept getting older and what comes with it (popping pills) because it's 'part of life'.  Um....NO thank you, hon.  I also finished going through menopause and because of taking certain supplements and adding foods to my diet that have an effect on my depleted estrogen, I've pretty much eliminated my hot flashes.   60 is FAR from elderly!

On 8/14/2020 at 5:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

Yes and Brooke Shields has La-Z-Boy all over her multi million dollar abode.

Or that Eva Longoria and Blake Lively color their hair with a drugstore-bought boxed hair color - even before COVID

There's a commercial for a medication whose name I just can't remember which features a red-headed model (one as a young girl and one as the adult version) with big-ass eye glasses.  She exclaims how she was always the go-getter.....the "leader of the pack".  It shows her practically pulling her friends up on stage with her to perform karaoke then later when they're all bike riding she's at the front going "come on".  I don't know why, but I just want to punch her pushy, obnoxious face

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
On 8/16/2020 at 6:29 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

You are how old and you never realized tampons come in different sizes?

I'm so old that in the ancient days when I had a need for those, there were only 2 sizes, regular and super. It's been so long since I've had a need, that I don't pay attention to that aisle when I'm in a store and I ignore the ads.

Taking the warsh and ice box discussion to small talk.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I'm so old that in the ancient days when I had a need for those, there were only 2 sizes, regular and super. It's been so long since I've had a need, that I don't pay attention to that aisle when I'm in a store and I ignore the ads.

I'm of that generation too. Super was never good enough and led to hysterectomy (26 yrs ago) and no need for any size after that! 🙂

• Love 7
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

That's his look these days.

I think he stopped giving a damn a few years ago. He used to be rather earnest and engaging, but to me has turned into an asshole. I'm surprised that he can get a gig as a spokesperson for a food product.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I think he stopped giving a damn a few years ago. He used to be rather earnest and engaging, but to me has turned into an asshole. I'm surprised that he can get a gig as a spokesperson for a food product.

He's always been an asshole, but, yes, he seems to have abandoned any effort at hiding the fact he's a total jerk.  I don't know why anyone would want him as the scruffy face of their product, either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On ‎08‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 7:08 AM, Haleth said:

Libbity bibbity?

I gave that nickname to one of my cats - Lyanna Libbity Bibbity.  I find that commercial amusing, but there for awhile it was on all the damned time.

19 hours ago, tres bien said:

I like Trevor Noah.  I like hoodies.  But damn I'm sick of that commercial. 

It's funny, but if I had to see it a lot, it would bug me, so I get where you're coming from.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, tres bien said:

I like Trevor Noah.  I like hoodies.  But damn I'm sick of that commercial. 

I'm one of those people who composts, avoids plastic wrap, brings my own shopping bags, and keeps the temp in the house 10 degrees warmer in the summer than in the winter. So I get annoyed at his complete nonchalance at over-chilling his house in the summer just so he can wear a hoodie. I know, I think too much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I'm one of those people who composts, avoids plastic wrap, brings my own shopping bags, and keeps the temp in the house 10 degrees warmer in the summer than in the winter. So I get annoyed at his complete nonchalance at over-chilling his house in the summer just so he can wear a hoodie. I know, I think too much.

I thought that was pretty normal, but I guess I learned it from Jimmy Carter.  Sixty-eight in the winter, 78 in the summer, right?

I've seen Trevor Noah in the hoodies on his show, but what commercial is he in? I missed if if someone mentioned it earlier.  (And for what it's worth, my daughter is currently sitting around in a sweatshirt in our 78-degree house.  So I guess people have different comfort levels.)

3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Sixty-eight in the winter, 78 in the summer, right?

exactly

5 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess I learned it from Jimmy Carter.

me too. But of course I was a wee child. Well, I was in high school anyway 🙂

• Love 4
On 8/19/2020 at 2:33 PM, ctlady said:

There's a commercial for a medication whose name I just can't remember which features a red-headed model (one as a young girl and one as the adult version) with big-ass eye glasses.  She exclaims how she was always the go-getter.....the "leader of the pack".  It shows her practically pulling her friends up on stage with her to perform karaoke then later when they're all bike riding she's at the front going "come on".  I don't know why, but I just want to punch her pushy, obnoxious face.

Her voice is even worse.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Sixty-eight in the winter, 78 in the summer, right?

I do 68 and 80, but I sometimes don't turn the AC on until it's around 82 in the room I'm in (I have a ductless system, with individual units in each room, so I don't have to cool the whole house if I don't want to).  Lately, in an awful heat wave, I've had all of them going at 78 all day and well into the evening.

I've seen Trevor Noah in the hoodies on his show, but what commercial is he in? I missed if if someone mentioned it earlier.

I'm not sure, either; I've only seen promos for TDS (in which he's always wearing one of his many hoodies).

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I do 68 and 80, but I sometimes don't turn the AC on until it's around 82 in the room I'm in (I have a ductless system, with individual units in each room, so I don't have to cool the whole house if I don't want to).  Lately, in an awful heat wave, I've had all of them going at 78 all day and well into the evening.

I'm not sure, either; I've only seen promos for TDS (in which he's always wearing one of his many hoodies).

He's no Jon Stewart.

• Love 7

I know that people don't sign up to have huge, morbid, unsightly growths on their face and bodies, and I feel for them...I really do. That being said, I would really appreciate it if the Discovery collection of networks would refrain from showing commercials for "Dr. Pimple Popper" during dinner hours. 

I mean, I wish they wouldn't show them AT ALL, but I know that's asking too much. 

• Love 14
30 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

This Flippity Fish commercial is freaking me out.  I feel so bad for the fish.  Please cut me some slack, my vision is crap, but damn this fish looks and acts like a real fish.  Yes, I know it isn't real.  That said, I do think it is funny where that cat keeps getting smacked in the face by the fish's tail.

One of my cat's might play with it, the other cat would run screaming (meowing) into the night trying to get away from it.

My cat would try to make friends with it. We swear, if he were a human he'd be a Walmart greeter.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, scarletine said:

I know that people don't sign up to have huge, morbid, unsightly growths on their face and bodies, and I feel for them...I really do. That being said, I would really appreciate it if the Discovery collection of networks would refrain from showing commercials for "Dr. Pimple Popper" during dinner hours. 

I mean, I wish they wouldn't show them AT ALL, but I know that's asking too much. 

Isn’t there supposed to be a new series like this, except for animals?

• Love 1

I'm in a foul mood today so maybe that explains this, but "IIIIt's Yoplait time!" makes me want to punch someone. Especially "Way to goooo!" This voice actor lady is completely inept at sounding even slightly realistically excited. In fact, those exclamation points I just typed are completely unnecessary.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm in a foul mood today so maybe that explains this, but "IIIIt's Yoplait time!" makes me want to punch someone. Especially "Way to goooo!" This voice actor lady is completely inept at sounding even slightly realistically excited. In fact, those exclamation points I just typed are completely unnecessary.

Is she the same one that used to scream "She's becoming an INDEPENDENT CHILD!!!!"?

• Love 4

Yes, I guess they figured out that people hated the slam dunk contest, "making Mama proud".    The kid throwing junk food in her lunch box, and becoming an "independent child".   And then the kid at Tae Kwon Do, or Karate class, doing something astounding because they eat Yoplait.

They've changed the narration on all three, but I still hate the commercials.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 10

I've had it with all of these feminine personal product commercials the latest one being for the incontinence pads. The woman who wakes up and says that she feels awesome because she takes care of her skin not her skin  up here, but her skin down there.  REALLY!!! between that and all of the advertisements for feminine hygiene products and the razor and waxing and now we have the manscaping razor which still is classier than the one aimed at women. Why don't they start having commercials for special men's soap and special men's deodorant and everything  they aim at women to perpetuate stereotypes about womens hygiene...its not like men are a bed of roses. 

On another note I hate the commercial about getting paid early and that obnoxious girl going yes I'm always boasting about how I've already been paid I would take somebody like that in the office and smack them.

• Love 13