Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I'd imagine it's a take-off of the "freshman 15" - the 15 pounds college freshman supposedly gain when they leave home for the first time.  I

Wasn't supposedly for me - it happened. When I went home for Thanksgiving my mother said - good grief, what have you been eating? I replied - everything. 😄

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 7/10/2020 at 2:47 AM, icemiser69 said:

This Amy Schumer, Tampax commercial is disturbing on just about every level.

Amy Schumer annoys the crap out of me on just about every level.   Above and beyond that, what are the odds that you could ask someone in the bathroom  for a tampon and the woman you are talking to would ask you what size and then proceed to pull out every friggin' size out of her tote, along with a chart and an explanation for each size along with chart?

By the way, that chart brings new meaning to the word flowchart.

I mean, if you catch me when I'm on my period or for a few days after before I take my little pouch of tampons out of my purse, I wouldn't pull out a diagram, but I'd ask you what size and also offer you a disposable wipe.

On 7/10/2020 at 11:06 AM, CrystalBlue said:

So, I Googled 'Billie Commercial" and came up with "The Unicorn of Razors."  Wow!  A razor that shaves hair!  Amazing!

In Billie's defense...I've never used this brand, but I did switch razors recently and read a lot of reviews where people said Billie was the best razor they ever used.  It was also said to be better than the razor I ended up going with, which is the best razor I've ever used, and which was far more superior to other razors than I was expecting. So if it's true that Billie razors are better than mine, then it is a pretty amazing razor.

6 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I never noticed her looking scared. She was thrilled to receive the bike and when she first got on and was connected to the live feed, she had a nervous face on and said "First ride, I'm nervous." But she wasn't afraid of the gift.

I thought people got all pissy because by giving her the Peloton, the guy was essentially telling his wife that she needs to lose weight or get in better shape. 

I never thought she seemed scared of her husband, but everything about her was douchey.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

don't understand why some kids entering college all of a sudden put on a lot of weight.  Is it a stress thing?

I think it’s generally because for the first time, they’re in total control of what they put in their mouth(they don’t have parents fixing meals or restricting what foods are brought into the house).

Nutrisystem has been around 40 years?!?  I can remember when they had brick-and-mortar centers where you’d get weighed, meet with the staff, and get your food, and it seemed that at least one DJ in every radio market was shilling for them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Were you upset by her comment, or did you just laugh it off?

I knew I had gained weight. It wasn't stress, it was cafeteria style eating. I spent my freshman year in the south and this Pennsylvania girl discovered fried chicken, something my mother never made. Plus basically all you could eat. I just needed to learn self-discipline, which I did.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
On 7/13/2020 at 12:43 PM, Neurochick said:

If people hadn't seen the original commercial, he IS Jake from State Farm.  It's just like when the soap operas used to change an actor and eventually everybody got used to it.  

The way Pam Ewing show Bobby in the shower ("It was all a bad dream, honey.") and got accustomed to having her husband around again.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I LOVE it! The kids are all cute, the song is catchy, and despite the lighthearted approach, the work that it talks about is literally deadly serious regarding climate change. Kudos to Burger King!

I love that commercial too.  At first I didn't get what they were saying, but then I realized I was right:  "Methane." 

• Love 1
On ‎07‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 3:01 PM, Neurochick said:

I'm confused about Peleton.  People were hating on that company; was it because of the commercial where a man gives a Peleton bicycle to his wife or girlfriend?  What's wrong with that?  Was that supposed to be abuse?

I didn't see abuse in that commercial, per se, but I hate the entire concept of Peleton's product.  Riding an exercise bike is almost the easiest damned kind of exercise, so what kind of fool pays thousands of dollars for the bike, and the $60 a month to have some instructor yell at them?

My problem with that specific commercial was her talking about how much she'd changed during what was supposed to be a yearlong personal journey, and yet she looked exactly the same.  No change at all.  It was just horribly unconvincing to me.

On ‎07‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 3:39 PM, Neurochick said:

Shit, those things are expensive.  If I was married, I'd be happy if my husband gave me one; beats having to go to the gym.

I'd take it as "you're fat, lose some weight" and punch him.  Then put him and the Peleton out on the curb with the garbage.

• LOL 11
On ‎07‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 9:51 PM, chessiegal said:

Wasn't supposedly for me - it happened. When I went home for Thanksgiving my mother said - good grief, what have you been eating? I replied - everything. 😄

I actually lost weight the two semesters I lived on campus because my work schedule didn't synch up with the hours the cafeteria was open, and they didn't let us take food out.

On ‎07‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 4:56 PM, icemiser69 said:

I appreciate the thought that is put into giving a gift, even if it is a gift that doesn't suite me.

For me, the thought that I was too fat and needed to exercise more would not be appreciated.  A Peleton is the kind of gift you should only give if someone has expressed interest in it.

On ‎07‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 10:10 PM, janie jones said:

I never thought she seemed scared of her husband, but everything about her was douchey.

Yep, that was my opinion of the commercial.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'd take it as "you're fat, lose some weight" and punch him.  Then put him and the Peleton out on the curb with the garbage.

Well I'd be glad to get it because I know I need to drop a few kilos.   I can't see kicking someone to the curb who tells you the truth.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't see abuse in that commercial, per se, but I hate the entire concept of Peleton's product.  Riding an exercise bike is almost the easiest damned kind of exercise, so what kind of fool pays thousands of dollars for the bike, and the $60 a month to have some instructor yell at them?

I think the Peleton is supposed to mimic the experience at places like Soul Cycle.  

I have an elliptical and spend (not that much) for an app that gives me access to all sorts of google street view "trails" (and the machine mimics the hills etc.) Nothing is real time like a class, but I find it definitely lessens boredom factor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My problem with that specific commercial was her talking about how much she'd changed during what was supposed to be a yearlong personal journey, and yet she looked exactly the same.  No change at all.  It was just horribly unconvincing to me.

I always hoped the change was internal, that she gained some confidence and did, indeed, toss that wanker out.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

The same woman from the Peloton commercial was on another commercial where she was meeting a couple of friends at a bar, and they were toasting her freedom from her ex.   I'm hoping it was Peloton guy.  

I loathe the commercial they've been showing constantly for the last few days, for the organic cure for female infections, and her hoo-haw is singing with joy.   

• Love 1
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The same woman from the Peloton commercial was on another commercial where she was meeting a couple of friends at a bar, and they were toasting her freedom from her ex.   I'm hoping it was Peloton guy. 

That commercial was for Aviation Gin, owned by Ryan Reynolds, and it made me laugh so much that I went out and bought a bottle.  And I don't even like gin.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

That commercial was for Aviation Gin, owned by Ryan Reynolds, and it made me laugh so much that I went out and bought a bottle.  And I don't even like gin.

I couldn't remember what the second commercial was for, thanks for remembering it.     

• Love 1
On 7/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I always hoped the change was internal, that she gained some confidence and did, indeed, toss that wanker out.

1 hour ago, ebk57 said:
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I had hoped that there had been a commercial or skit with the actor as the husband saying to someone (a therapist?) that she had asked for the peloton.  After hearing all the abuse the poor actor received I really wished Reynolds or someone gave him a commercial with the tag line “it was just a commercial!”

• Love 2

I'm sick of the ad for Peacock that features characters from their lineup of shows and movies saying, "Free" over and over.  Not only is it annoying, it has already been done recently in several Turbo Tax ads.

• Love 4
On 7/17/2020 at 3:20 PM, Neurochick said:

Well I'd be glad to get it because I know I need to drop a few kilos.   I can't see kicking someone to the curb who tells you the truth.

I think the Peleton is supposed to mimic the experience at places like Soul Cycle.  

I know what I look like, I don't need to be told.  Any man who'd say "you're fat, here have a Peloton" would be out the door.

Soul Cycle is one of the circles of hell.

On 7/17/2020 at 3:50 PM, dleighg said:

I have an elliptical and spend (not that much) for an app that gives me access to all sorts of google street view "trails" (and the machine mimics the hills etc.) Nothing is real time like a class, but I find it definitely lessens boredom factor.

Now THAT I can see doing.

16 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I'm sick of the ad for Peacock that features characters from their lineup of shows and movies saying, "Free" over and over.  Not only is it annoying, it has already been done recently in several Turbo Tax ads.

It is really annoying.  The service may be great, but the commercial makes me change the channel.

On 7/19/2020 at 6:50 AM, smittykins said:

Discovery’s “Shark Week” promo, in which we learn that sharks have two...

I actually kind of found this one amusing - the first dozen times I saw it.  Repetition has made me hate it.

On 7/18/2020 at 7:50 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loathe the commercial they've been showing constantly for the last few days, for the organic cure for female infections, and her hoo-haw is singing with joy. 

I seemed to have missed that one, thank god.  It sounds awful.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

This is a horrible commercial.  

I was going to post about this but couldn't bring myself to search for this.   The first time I saw it I was like "WTF" (but I guess I should have been Whaaaaaat the Fuuuuuck?")    The second hand embarrassment for those actors is strong.    If they were acting that way over a covid vaccine I'd get it, but is shingles some hot button right now?   And it's not exactly like being able to vaccinate for it is exactly new anyway. 

• Love 6
(edited)

It is interesting to me that all of a sudden there are a couple commercials pushing the shingles vaccine.I had my yearly with my dr end of June and he was really pushing I get the vaccine and also a flu shot when they come out. I haven't gotten a flu shot in over 20 years and haven't gotten the flu either. hmmmm

Edited by Gramto6

Pushing the flu shot makes sense.   There is serious concern about flu season because the health system is already stressed without adding the normal volume of flu cases.   

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Maverick said:

Pushing the flu shot makes sense.   There is serious concern about flu season because the health system is already stressed without adding the normal volume of flu cases.   

Maybe, but I am basically a hermit. I go out twice a month to get mail and shop.  Under these conditions I am masked up and sanitize after every stop which is more than I have done before. I am comfortable not getting the shots...I may be weird, but I don't want to put any  unnatural chemicals in my body...

• Love 1
On 7/18/2020 at 4:50 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Is that the one where they tell you to drink the stuff "after intimacy"? I keep hearing it on Pandora but I didn't know they were advertising elsewhere.  I hate the way she says "after intimacy." 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Maverick said:

I was going to post about this but couldn't bring myself to search for this.   The first time I saw it I was like "WTF" (but I guess I should have been Whaaaaaat the Fuuuuuck?")    The second hand embarrassment for those actors is strong.    If they were acting that way over a covid vaccine I'd get it, but is shingles some hot button right now?   And it's not exactly like being able to vaccinate for it is exactly new anyway. 

FWIW, I've had shingles and it is was excruciating.  I think lots of people see it as something you get when you're WAY older*, so if it saves just one person from having to experience that nastiness, kudos.  That being said, I can see how the commercial can be really annoying, although I don't mind it.

*Granted, when I was in my 20's, someone in their 50's seemed to have one foot in the grave so perhaps it's all relative.

• Love 11

Pushing the shingles vaccine is fine but anyone interested should know that Walgreens (and I'm guessing CVS) is not giving vaccines right now so you'd have to go to a doctor's office for one.  Hopefully pharmacies will be back to giving shots by flu season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The shingles vaccine now in Shingrix (spelling?) which is two shots 2 to 6 months apart.     It's 98% effective, after the two shots.     

The previous shingles vaccine was only about 50% or a similar not great percentage effective.     I got the first one in 2008, and the Shingrix when it was available at my pharmacy, when they got it in.     I know too many people that had multiple bouts with shingles, and some that had the nerve pain that never stops, so that's one disease I never want to get.   

That commercial doesn't bother me, but the singing hoo-haw one makes me rabid.  

• Love 8
5 hours ago, cynicat said:

FWIW, I've had shingles and it is was excruciating.  I think lots of people see it as something you get when you're WAY older*, so if it saves just one person from having to experience that nastiness, kudos.  That being said, I can see how the commercial can be really annoying, although I don't mind it.

*Granted, when I was in my 20's, someone in their 50's seemed to have one foot in the grave so perhaps it's all relative.

I have shingles. It's just a small spot on my lower back, about the size of a dime (for you younglings, a dime is the smallest of American things called "coins) I only get it when I'm really stressed. Anyway I was diagnosed in  my twenties and I remember remarking to my doctor that I thought only old people could get  it and he said that even babies can get shingles. That must be so horrible.

• Love 6

I hate that bra commercial that they've been showing a lot lately.  I don't remember what it's called, but it starts out with someone asking her friend to adjust her bra for her and her friend tells her she needs this kind of bra and she exposes the strap and the adjuster is on the top.  I've literally never seen a bra with an adjust thing not on the top.  And then if you tighten it comes forward.  Am I really supposed to believe there are bras out there that have the adjuster in the back where you can't reach it?  I mean I've had bras with no strap adjuster at all.  But, not one in the back.  And if it didn't have one at all her friend wouldn't be able to adjust it any more than she could.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I hate that bra commercial that they've been showing a lot lately.  I don't remember what it's called, but it starts out with someone asking her friend to adjust her bra for her and her friend tells her she needs this kind of bra and she exposes the strap and the adjuster is on the top.  I've literally never seen a bra with an adjust thing not on the top.  And then if you tighten it comes forward.  Am I really supposed to believe there are bras out there that have the adjuster in the back where you can't reach it?  I mean I've had bras with no strap adjuster at all.  But, not one in the back.  And if it didn't have one at all her friend wouldn't be able to adjust it any more than she could.

It's a weird commercial.

• Love 1
On 7/12/2020 at 4:11 PM, Darlabutterfly said:

2 HOURS AGO, TATTLETEENY SAID:

When I first saw the pee-wicking device on TV, I was confused as to how it worked. Then I realized. THEN I screamed.

I forget what drug it is, but a side effect is "infection of the perineum." That is very specific and also very terrible!

That ad sounds tainted.

I see what you did there.

I have yet to see this commercial...

On 7/20/2020 at 4:11 AM, KWalkerInc said:

you have to upgrade to premium if you want anything good...

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Katy M said:

The brand is Lively. I needed a new bra so I went to their web site, and it is a mess! Once I found one I wanted, it wouldn't let me choose a size, so there was no way to move forward. I gave up and found my favorite on Amazon.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The brand is Lively. I needed a new bra so I went to their web site, and it is a mess! Once I found one I wanted, it wouldn't let me choose a size, so there was no way to move forward. I gave up and found my favorite on Amazon.

Maybe the size doesn't matter because they're so easy to adjust:)

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 7:50 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just saw that one yesterday while watching a Lifetime movie On Demand.  It was both hysterical and cringy.  This is the reason I can't do yoga classes - too many ladies in various states of wide-legged positions in close quarters.  I just don't need crotch close ups

That Buick commercial where the self-absorbed woman speaks into her Google/Alexa, whatever watch, 'Start my Buick' because - you know, sticking a key in the ignition is SO time consuming.  Oh, and she sees on her calendar watch that she's having company for dinner and heads to the market where she can't even be bothered to back her car into a spot by herself - that she needs her self-steering Buick to do it for her.  Ugh - I want to punch her.  I loved that after she dropped money on four salmon filets and got herself all spiffed up with a perfectly set table that the 'dinner' was actually watching this other couple's two kids who just want pizza.  Watching the other parents scurry off after dropping off the kids was gold.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

I can’t stand the insurance commercial with the screaming Idina Menzel.  My opinion is probably shaded by a very negative experience during a concert with our local symphony.  First, she’s 45 minutes late, walks out barefoot because she didn’t feel like putting on shoes and talked/rambled for 10 minutes between each song.  If all that weren’t bad enough, she kept dropping F-bombs during her chats.  Because of her starring in Wicked, there were a lot of young kids in the audience, and the parents did not appreciate her profanity.  For $125 a ticket, it was a major disappointment. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I’ve been seeing one from eharmony, where various people give a one- sentence blurb about why they’re using it. And the last one is a young woman who says “I’m looking for someone to take me on the adventure of a lifetime“. Oh, honey. I really hope you mean you’re looking for someone to join you on the adventure of a lifetime. Please tell me that’s what you meant. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9