Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/13/2020 at 11:04 AM, peacheslatour said:

He truly was our first black president. Hail President Palmer!

Actually, IIRC, the first Black President was James Earl Jones in The Man, which was made in the early 1970s.

Another who hates that Sheba cat food commercial with the moron mom who's so mesmerized by her cat that she basically neglects her injured child. I know that cats are constantly plotting world domination behind our backs, but child abuse is a bridge too far. 

If a company must play the "cats are evil" card, at least be funny, like Allstate's "Mayhem" commercial.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I hate that bra commercial that they've been showing a lot lately.  I don't remember what it's called, but it starts out with someone asking her friend to adjust her bra for her and her friend tells her she needs this kind of bra and she exposes the strap and the adjuster is on the top.  I've literally never seen a bra with an adjust thing not on the top.  And then if you tighten it comes forward.  Am I really supposed to believe there are bras out there that have the adjuster in the back where you can't reach it?  I mean I've had bras with no strap adjuster at all.  But, not one in the back.  And if it didn't have one at all her friend wouldn't be able to adjust it any more than she could.

Most of mine are on the back and even though I don't have to fix the slidey things that often, it's super annoying if I do have to at work (not that I've been "at work" for a while. Or worn a bra, haha).

There is a Dairy Queen commercial and the narrator's voice makes me crazy! It's kind of nasal and sounds like she has an annoying smile on her face (sorry, that's the best way I can articulate it without resorting to a synesthesia-fueled description). There's a similar voice on a commercial for a show on HGTV* called Good Bones**, and the way the woman -- who may be a host of the show? -- pronounces "nine" and "Bones" makes me nuts too. I realize it's probably not their fault, but I just cannot deal with it!

*And don't even get me started on the ubiquitous HGTV  commercial (and Love It or List It) narrator(s?); she has (they have?) the same things happening! 
**Like "bow," as in "take a bow," with "ns" at the end. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
On 7/2/2020 at 5:33 PM, meep.meep said:

I have stopped watching Animal Planet at lunch time because they insist on running this ad for the Humane Society that is at least 5 minutes long and consists of some woman in a plaintive voice telling over and over how terrible the lives of animals are and begging us to donate.  It makes me want to do the opposite, although I suppose that would be actually opening my own puppy mill, so probably not.  What's wrong with puppies and kittens are cute and fun - send us some money so we can keep them alive?

Amen @meep.meep, well said. I can't stand her whiney, guilt trippy voice either--even the way she says the word animals is super annoying--and, like you, it actually leaves me with a hostile feeling which is not exactly the response they're going for I would think. Also ITA that it definitely seems to drone on and on and on.

I believe it was someone on this forum that wisely suggested that they should take the different approach of showing the befores and afters of the dogs and cats. For instance, I picture keeping all of the horrendous before videos of the animals and then show the same animals after the Humane Society used donations to restore their health and find them forever homes. I think that would be a more uplifting way of asking for donations where potential donors could see how their money is used.

Oh yeah, one more thing: please get rid of that whiney-ass heifer of a narrator!😊

• Love 11

I dont know if this one has already been listed, and i feel bad for doing this, but the newest Shriners Hospital  ad is so irritating!  Its the one with all the kids sitting around a table trying to come up with a new fund raising project and commercial.

The suggestions are ridiculous until they turn to Calab and everyone is so touched..and do the Worst Acting. (Not their fault)

I wish they would cut the hokey acting and u can keep your teddy bear blanket.  I think Shriners does a great job...just show me that!  Show the kids in therapy, tell the story of all of them

.show their progress and achievements and i will watch and donate.

• Love 14
On 7/20/2020 at 2:11 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I'm sick of the ad for Peacock that features characters from their lineup of shows and movies saying, "Free" over and over.  Not only is it annoying, it has already been done recently in several Turbo Tax ads.

But it's not really free? Is it? It can't be in this world of greed. 

But I do hate that the commercial is very misleading. 

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

Am I really supposed to believe there are bras out there that have the adjuster in the back where you can't reach it? 

Yes.  You adjust it before putting it on.  No biggie.

There's a similar voice on a commercial for a show on HGTV* called Good Bones**, and the way the woman -- who may be a host of the show? -- pronounces "nine" and "Bones" makes me nuts too. I realize it's probably not their fault, but I just cannot deal with it!

*And don't even get me started on the ubiquitous HGTV  commercial (and Love It or List It) narrator(s?); she has (they have?) the same things happening! 

It's called an accent. 😉

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve been seeing one from eharmony, where various people give a one- sentence blurb about why they’re using it. And the last one is a young woman who says “I’m looking for someone to take me on the adventure of a lifetime“. Oh, honey. I really hope you mean you’re looking for someone to join you on the adventure of a lifetime. Please tell me that’s what you meant. 

Sounds like she could join countless other folks who've been scammed by dating services down the ages who HAVE been taken on 'the adventure of a lifetime'-!

• LOL 5
13 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

There's a similar voice on a commercial for a show on HGTV* called Good Bones**, and the way the woman -- who may be a host of the show? -- pronounces "nine" and "Bones" makes me nuts too. I realize it's probably not their fault, but I just cannot deal with it!

*And don't even get me started on the ubiquitous HGTV  commercial (and Love It or List It) narrator(s?); she has (they have?) the same things happening! 

Ugh, that sounds like the awful "Howsh howsh baby" song in the Downy commercial, sung in a too-precious croon. Like fingernails on a blackboard.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, Katy M said:

Am I really supposed to believe there are bras out there that have the adjuster in the back where you can't reach it?

I've never seen one in the front, always in the back.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yes.  You adjust it before putting it on.  No biggie.

It's called an accent. 😉

Maybe--and if it is, of course it's my issue, not hers. But it sounds to me more like an affect that I hear more and more often. Some kind of vowel-dragging thing, I think. Reminds me of the "think yew" instead of "thank you" often perpetrated by reality-show girls (and Jennifer Love Hewitt back in the day!).

• Love 1

This Amy Schumer, Tampax commercial is disturbing on just about every level.

The most disturbing thing is that Amy Schumer needs to make a Tampax commercial. Is nobody else hiring her right now?

I can NOT STAND this commercial!  I don't need someone in my bathroom telling me how to brush my teeth.  Is this really what a motivational coach does??  And WTH does that have to do with car insurance?

Am I supposed to know who DJ Khaled is? I hate commercials that assume I know some D-list celebrity or some sports figure.

Little Caesar pizza commercial with the crash test dummy/zombie looking thing is  creepy as fuck.

OMG! That crash test dummy is like something out of a horror film! Is Little Caesar's trying to scare us?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The most disturbing thing is that Amy Schumer needs to make a Tampax commercial. Is nobody else hiring her right now?

Am I supposed to know who DJ Khaled is? I hate commercials that assume I know some D-list celebrity or some sports figure.

OMG! That crash test dummy is like something out of a horror film! Is Little Caesar's trying to scare us?

It's like that creepy Burger King "King". I'd have to be sedated if that thing showed up behind me.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve been seeing one from eharmony, where various people give a one- sentence blurb about why they’re using it. And the last one is a young woman who says “I’m looking for someone to take me on the adventure of a lifetime“. Oh, honey. I really hope you mean you’re looking for someone to join you on the adventure of a lifetime. Please tell me that’s what you meant. 

Theoretically, someone taking you on the adventure of a lifetime might also include abduction, so yeah, I would think she'd be more specific about what she actually wants in a date...

• Love 4
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

DJ Khaled is far from D-list. Did you assume he's an athlete because he's a person of color?

Google is your friend: DJ Khaled is an American DJ, record executive, songwriter, record producer, author, and media personality. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Khaled

• Love 3
On 7/10/2020 at 5:47 AM, icemiser69 said:

This Amy Schumer, Tampax commercial is disturbing on just about every level.

Amy Schumer annoys the crap out of me on just about every level.   Above and beyond that, what are the odds that you could ask someone in the bathroom  for a tampon and the woman you are talking to would ask you what size and then proceed to pull out every friggin' size out of her tote, along with a chart and an explanation for each size along with chart?

By the way, that chart brings new meaning to the word flowchart.

I've only just seen this one, and I've gotta say, among all the commercials for products dealing with bodily functions, this is one of the least annoying ones to me (lookin' at you, bear in underpants).  I mean, this is something that approximately half the population has to deal with at some point, and not everyone has the ideal mother or big sister or whatever to help make you aware of what's available out there.  But I'm in the wrong forum for that - I grant that we are all irritated by what we're irritated by.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

DJ Khaled is far from D-list. Did you assume he's an athlete because he's a person of color?

Google is your friend: DJ Khaled is an American DJ, record executive, songwriter, record producer, author, and media personality. 

I did Google him. No I did not assume he was an athlete; my comment was in reference to the fact that I do not follow sports and there are so many commercials using pro athletes as spokespeople because they assume everyone follows sports. Aside from that I have never heard of DJ Khaled before and I still consider him a D-list celeb.

• Love 11
(edited)

I, too, just recently saw that Tampax commercial and it doesn't bother me, either.  I think there are plenty of women who use regular their entire period because that's the appropriate size for their entire period, and I think there are plenty of women who use regular the whole time because that's what someone first handed them, and, after all, "regular" is right there in the name, when they might be better off using a larger size for at least the first couple of days.  So I certainly don't take issue with talking about such things.

And, yes, if someone asked me for a tampon and I had more than one size with me (it would depend on which day in the cycle it was) I would ask which she preferred. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I know it’s supposed to be funny but I hate the Limu Emu and Doug Liberty Mutual commercials.  .  Actually I kind hate most of Liberty Mutuals commercials which is kinda funny because I enjoy most of the Progressive Insurance commercials.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, Maverick said:

The Hormel chili ads:   make them stop!    What the hell is wrong with the people who come up with, much less sign off on, this weird shit.

Those freak me out, and do not make me want to buy their chili.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I know it’s supposed to be funny but I hate the Limu Emu and Doug Liberty Mutual commercials.

They bug me on general principle because the "Li" of Liberty and "Mu" of Mutual put together would not be pronounced as rhyming with "emu".

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

They bug me on general principle because the "Li" of Liberty and "Mu" of Mutual put together would not be pronounced as rhyming with "emu".

I never heard anyone pronounce emu as "e-moo" until this commercial. I always heard it "e-mew", so there's that. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've never seen one in the front, always in the back.

I like racerback front close ones, but I don't need boulder holders. I was tempted by the Lively bras.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, nokat said:

I was tempted by the Lively bras.

If you have success ordering one, let us know. I couldn't get past where you select a size. When I scrolled down to my size and hit enter, nothing happened. I gave up. I don't care enough to try again. Maybe it was a one time glitch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

There's a commercial for Hershey's Kisses with a couple being interviewed about their first kiss.  The guy goes on about how great it was while the girlfriend (interviewed separately) contradicts everything the guy is saying.    Everything about the guy emanates douchebag vibes.  He clearly thinks he's the shit and and he changed this woman's life when he bestowed his lips on hers.   I can't feel sorry for her being saddled with this walking ego though because not only did she pick him, she's still with him.    And for as much as he comes off as a douchbro, she comes off as a yogurt bitch who giddily enjoys pointing out what a bad kisser he is on national TV.   They appear to deserve each other,  I don't know why any of this is supposed to make me wan to buy Kisses. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
19 hours ago, Ashforth said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Khaled

I have realized that I'm not in the target demographic for most products.  So they'll often include celebrities that I don't know.  It's just the way it is. 

Just because I haven't heard of someone, doesn't make them D list, they're D list to me, but not to someone else.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 9
55 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

Ugh, the SKYRIZI (drug) jingle:  "Nothing is everything...  Nothing and me go hand-in-hand"  makes me want to punch a baby.  I mute it the moment I hear the opening of the commercial.

I once knocked my poor husband over diving for the remote. I've learned to recognize that hideous thing before the "singing" starts so I don't have to resort to violence any more.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Theoretically, someone taking you on the adventure of a lifetime might also include abduction, so yeah, I would think she'd be more specific about what she actually wants in a date...

Is this like the Courtney who finds her "nice guys" on Match.com when she invites potential suitors to "come find me"?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I once knocked my poor husband over diving for the remote. I've learned to recognize that hideous thing before the "singing" starts so I don't have to resort to violence any more.

hahaha I bet!  It is just awful...  Whoever the asshole is that came up with that probably thought they were going to be topping the charts with their music at this stage in their career.  They need to quit.  Now.  For my sanity.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I looked at the Lively bras. For some reason my browser thought I still wanted to look at fried food. No, I DON'T want pizza,

The ad that I hate is Applebee's welcome back. I don't know if you've eaten any of it, but no, I don't want it again.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Maverick said:

There's a commercial for Hershey's Kisses with a couple being interviewed about their first kiss.  The guy goes on about how great it was while the girlfriend (interviewed separately) contradicts everything the guy is saying.    Everything about the guy emanates douchebag vibes.  He clearly thinks he's the shit and and he changed this woman's life when he bestowed his lips on hers.   I can't feel sorry for her being saddled with this walking ego though because not only did she pick him, she's still with him.    And for as much as he comes off as a douchbro, she comes off as a yogurt bitch who giddily enjoys pointing out what a bad kisser he is on national TV.   They appear to deserve each other,  I don't know why any of this is supposed to make me wan to buy Kisses. 

This ad is disturbing to me. He says she knew the kiss was coming; she says it was a total shock. It's so indicative of the entitlement some men feel to women's bodies, which can actually lead to rape ("I could tell she wanted it"). Hershey's really missed the mark with presenting this as cute.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, nokat said:

The ad that I hate is Applebee's welcome back.

speaking of which, I have heard that WB Kotter song in way too many commercials lately. Even some municipality on Long Island is using it in public service commercials!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I have heard that WB Kotter song in way too many commercials lately. Even some municipality on Long Island is using it in public service commercials!

I am thankful though that I can finally understand the one line of the song that always sounded garbled on the tv back in the day.  (Who'da thought they'd lead ya?")  I could never figure out what he was singing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm so tired of the coffee shop "Safe Drivers Save 40%" Allstate ad.  Especially the couple at the table who gush over him like he's the most famous person on earth.  The delivery of the man is particularly irritating.  I'm sure Dennis Haysbert just wants some coffee.  And is probably thinking if anything, they should recognize him as President Palmer!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I'm so tired of the coffee shop "Safe Drivers Save 40%" Allstate ad.  Especially the couple at the table who gush over him like he's the most famous person on earth.  The delivery of the man is particularly irritating.  I'm sure Dennis Haysbert just wants some coffee.  And is probably thinking if anything, they should recognize him as President Palmer!

An excellent submission for a stupid ad. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, nokat said:

I looked at the Lively bras. For some reason my browser thought I still wanted to look at fried food. No, I DON'T want pizza,

The ad that I hate is Applebee's welcome back. I don't know if you've eaten any of it, but no, I don't want it again.

I've never eaten there but I like the song. Fun fact: John Sebastian was on SNL and he forgot the words. It was pretty funny.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

The idiotic woman faux-whispering to her partner in the middle of the in-laws living room about whether he brought condoms.  Either take him aside to ask somewhere more appropriate, or start packing your own so there's no "emergency" need to discuss it in front of others.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

The Chime commercial where the woman is so smug to get paid 2 days earlier than others and says she can "boast" at the office about having already been paid.  Is paying a fee to receive money already owed to you 2 days sooner than you would otherwise get it something to be envied by coworkers?

• LOL 6
  • Love 15
29 minutes ago, eyelash said:

The Chime commercial where the woman is so smug to get paid 2 days earlier than others and says she can "boast" at the office about having already been paid.  Is paying a fee to receive money already owed to you 2 days sooner than you would otherwise get it something to be envied by coworkers?

And, if your employer doesn't deposit the funds two days early, then you can't get it two days early.  And unless your rent or credit card payments are due one to two days before your pay date each month, does that two days really make any difference to anybody?  You should spend more time worrying about managing your money better instead of "boasting" about stupid stuff.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

And, if your employer doesn't deposit the funds two days early, then you can't get it two days early.  And unless your rent or credit card payments are due one to two days before your pay date each month, does that two days really make any difference to anybody?  You should spend more time worrying about managing your money better instead of "boasting" about stupid stuff.

Let's face it, the target audience for these ads and the so-called service advertised isn't people who are sophisticated financial consumers. If it saves them from predatory "payday loans" I can't say it's bad.

Well, the ads are bad. No doubt about that.

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And the interval between paydays is the same whether the initial one is two days early or not.  So you still have to manage your money!

Of course you have to manage your money but that's not the point of direct deposit. It depends on the policy of the business you work for. As office manager at my job, I did payroll. I used to do it on Tuesdays but I didn't hand out the checks until Thursday every two weeks. So myself and everyone else who had direct deposit had the money in their accounts on Tuesday. Two days earlier than the people who didn't.  Except, funnily enough the principals, they didn't have it because they didn't want their wives to know how much money they made.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have direct deposit and the day after Scott does the payroll, it shows up in my account as a pending transaction. It's not actually available until Friday, when the actual paychecks get handed out.

I guess I never lived paycheck to paycheck so I didn't check it that closely. It showed on my statements as being deposited that day.

• Love 1

The Applebee's "Welcome back" commercial has led me to check if i can watch Welcome Back Kotter on Amazon Prime Video vs going to their restaurants.   Whoever is creating these commercials isn't thinking about what the viewer is going to think.

• Love 7