Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Do you remember when tp came in a rainbow of colors?

I do indeed. Strangely enough, in France a few years ago I found pink tp in an friend's bathroom (scratchy, too)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I hate the Geico ad with the overbearing aunts. Why are we so quick to complain about rude children in ads but not rude adults? The homeowners should kick them out and change the locks.

I think it's funny. Fits right in with their series of people having a clogging problem and a rat problem.

What do you call a group of ants? A colony. What do you call a group of aunts? A book club. 😆

• LOL 18
  • Love 1
On 8/27/2020 at 12:30 PM, mmecorday said:

Ugh! I grew up in the 70s when Joe Namath was a huge sports star. But I cannot stand his Medicare commercials. Poor dude looks like a jackolantern left out on the front stoop well into November.

yeah, I had a crush on him back in the day, but, now he is pretty unattractive and surely he has enough money to fix his face

• Love 2
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Do you remember when tp came in a rainbow of colors? My mom used to match it to the decor of the room.

My mom had some white TP with red roses printed on it. Every time I visited her and used the loo, I thought I had started my period.  Well, at least until menopause. This was in the 90s; I have NO idea where she got printed TP then.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

I do indeed. Strangely enough, in France a few years ago I found pink tp in an friend's bathroom (scratchy, too)

When we were in France all the tp was purple. Everywhere we went from Paris up to Normandy. Purple tp. and I swear the whole country smelled like Febreze. I loved it there though. Would move there if I could in a heartbeat.

On 8/24/2020 at 10:47 PM, mmecorday said:

Does David Copperfield still perform magic? If so, could he please make Dax Shepard's "Don't DIY Your Prostate Exam" commercial disappear?

How about he just makes Dax Shepard disappear completely, and take the commercial with him?

On 8/25/2020 at 9:44 AM, ctlady said:

Unless I missed the beginning of the commercial which alluded to that.  I mean - how many 'below-the-belt-manscaping' commercials have there been in the past that led me to NOT connect the word 'bush' with a man's facial beard?  At least it was subtle - and not along the lines of those three swimsuit clad ladies trimming topiaries which strategically cover their crotch.

I'm pretty sure it's referring to manscaping, which definitely is NOT about a facial beard.  But I'd have to watch it again to be sure, and no way.

• Love 2
On 8/26/2020 at 3:27 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I mean, OK -- but acne-prone people like jewelry too. Maybe it was pierced before her complexion became an issue for her, and maybe it makes her feel like she has some control over her appearance. (And considering that her condition appears to be very severe, is a tiny, shiny stud going to make it any worse?)

I don't like nose jewelry at all.  I find it gross, given what often comes out of people's noses.

On 8/27/2020 at 5:22 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Quality stockings don't come cheap!

You beat me to that one.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:42 AM, ctlady said:

I don't mind it.  What does bother me is how old I feel seeing these Hollywood/sports studs back in the day now doing old fart commercials.  Namath doing this, Lee Majors doing hearing aids, Tom Selleck doing reverse mortgages and most recent (for me) Eric Roberts doing the walk in bath! 

I'm with you on that.  I mean, wasn't it just yesterday that Tom Selleck was romancing Monica on Friends?  (What, it wasn't?  Oh hell.)

I hate the Hidden Valley Ranch Secret Sauce commercial where the woman keeps yelling that she needs more burgers and grabs the tray from her husband.  Why don't you finish the burger you just took one bite out of first, bitch?

• Love 3

I just saw an ad for some kind of food called Devour.  A really angry, ugly-faced man leaps out of the ocean with an open container of the food, which he takes a mouthful of.  The ad is unattractive from beginning to end.  Why does the agency/client think the idea of eating something that has been in the ocean is appealing?  Sand in your sandwiches is bad enough.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I mean, wasn't it just yesterday that Tom Selleck was romancing Monica on Friends?

You mean when he was romancing that "twinkie in the city"?  🙂 🙂

Okay - I am breaking down and officially making my hate known for the girlfriend in this Humira ad.  First off - she looks like she's freaking 12.  Second, those clunky black ankle boots they dressed her in with those uber-high waist crop jeans look like they weigh more than she does.  But - my shallow observations aside - what I hate, hate HATE about these types of commercials about individuals with medical conditions is how they try  - and fail - to make their significant other come off as 'concerned' when they really come across (to me) as annoying and selfish.  You can practically read the look on her face "Oh, you just got here and I made dinner.......and you have to go to the bathroom?"  "We're at a party and you're supposed to mingle with meeeee, but.....you going to the bathroom - AGAIN?"  "I'm sitting here waiting for you to come meet my parents at their house - you better not be late because you're in the bathroom"  GO.AWAY.

Even the ones with the pouty children whose moms can't play with with them because of their headaches raise my ire.  I get it - they're kids, they don't understand, but I just can't help it.  As someone whose hub has osteo-arthritis I understand that there are limitations to what he can and can't do and don't get all "but what do you mean you can't mow the lawn today?" when he's having a bad pain day - even with the pain meds and vitamins supplements he takes

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Okay - I am breaking down and officially making my hate known for the girlfriend in this Humira ad.  First off - she looks like she's freaking 12. 

I have always thought she looks *really* young -- and it looks like this is a "meet the parents 'cause we're engaged" kind of thing. 

• Love 3

I don't like nose jewelry at all.  I find it gross, given what often comes out of people's noses.

Oh, fair enough, of course. But clearly the girl in the commercial doesn't, acne or no acne. I find lots of stuff unappealing too, so I don't wear it. (Personally, if for some weird hypothetical reason, I had to choose between my ears and nose piercings, I'd definitely keep the nose.)

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I have always thought she looks *really* young -- and it looks like this is a "meet the parents 'cause we're engaged" kind of thing.

I thought it was more of a 'meeting the new boyfriend' thing.  And I'm confused by the opening - did he arrive at her place where she's making dinner for him or are they living together?  Because if she is on her own, why do her parents still keep her bedroom at their house with all the trappings intact like......still having her diary there??

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I thought it was more of a 'meeting the new boyfriend' thing.  And I'm confused by the opening - did he arrive at her place where she's making dinner for him or are they living together?  Because if she is on her own, why do her parents still keep her bedroom at their house with all the trappings intact like......still having her diary there??

My parents didn't really touch our rooms until they moved to Florida.  At that point my older sister hadn't lived their in 14(?) years, but there were still old clothes and stuffed animals and who knows what all else in our rooms.

• Love 1
On 8/12/2020 at 5:27 PM, peacheslatour said:
On 8/12/2020 at 5:13 PM, mousegirl said:

Has anyone seen the new Dick's Sporting Goods ad about back-to-school clothes?  It shows two pre-teens, one male and one female, modeling the clothes and looking around the store.  The girl gets off a line that had me rolling my eyes so hard I thought they'd fall right out on the floor.  I'm paraphrasing a bit, but as she looks at the shoes available in the store, she says "like, if I see someone with a great shoe game, I'm like I really want to know that person."  

Wow.  I don't know if this was scripted or not, but my, isn't that just the most inspiring statement (NOT) in this day and age of major, pandemic-fueled issues regarding people losing their jobs and possibly their homes,  schools being able to provide proper education access, everyone struggling to stay healthy and sane and alive.   People are important to know if they have a good "shoe game"??  JFC.  And who the eff cares what kind of shoes someone's wearing (if they're wearing any at all) when doing online school?

If the girt came up with the line on her own, all I can say is SHAME ON YOU to her parents, who have NOT instilled good values in her.  If it was scripted, then DSG can go to hell.  You are not getting my business with ad content like this - it's deeply offensive.

Read more  

To be fair it's Dick's Sporting Goods. I seriously doubt if anyone who would approve such ridiculous bullshit has any idea how young girls speak.

Don't ever change, Peacheslatour!!!! 🙂

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Wow.  I don't know if this was scripted or not, but my, isn't that just the most inspiring statement (NOT) in this day and age of major, pandemic-fueled issues regarding people losing their jobs and possibly their homes,  schools being able to provide proper education access, everyone struggling to stay healthy and sane and alive.   People are important to know if they have a good "shoe game"??

I didn't find it so much insensitive in terms of what's going on in the world, but moreso my eye-rolling came from......a) a store that's known for camping gear, huntin' rifles, workout equipment and such is trying to gain a corner of the back-to-school market and b) that ridiculous, immature, middle-school-esqe slang about the 'shoe game'.  Absolute cringe

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ctlady said:

Even the ones with the pouty children whose moms can't play with with them because of their headaches raise my ire.  I get it - they're kids, they don't understand, but I just can't help it.  As someone whose hub has osteo-arthritis I understand that there are limitations to what he can and can't do and don't get all "but what do you mean you can't mow the lawn today?" when he's having a bad pain day - even with the pain meds and vitamins supplements he takes

It doesn't really bug me because all of these folks are young.  When you get older you become more aware of health and physical issues.  I have more empathy than I did when I was 20.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

It doesn't really bug me because all of these folks are young.  When you get older you become more aware of health and physical issues.  I have more empathy than I did when I was 20.

I think the thing that irritates me more is that the kids are bugging their moms to play with them. I had no desire to play with my mom at that age. I wanted to be with my friends, outside, riding my bike or swimming down at the lake. About the only thing I ever remember asking my mom to do was drive me places. The skating rink, out to see my horse or to the mall. 

• Love 8

Most of the things my parents played with me had some educational element -- teaching me to catch or throw a ball, memory games, etc.  The imaginative play was done with friends, siblings, and cousins (or by myself).  The parental did play cards and board games, but I didn't join them until I was a bit older.

• Love 3

I just saw the ad that someone mentioned some time ago, for some sort of supercharged tide pods. These dimwit parents are in their backyard watching their boys roll around in the mud. "Can Tide Pods deal with this mess?" "Yes, yes, it can." "I need to see this." 

If you are skeptical that any laundry product can handle that mess, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU STANDING THERE WHILE THEY DO THAT?

Be a parent!

• Love 12

There are few ads that make the instant mute button list for me, but this Progessive one does.

I'm glad Jamie gets ads where he's not the whipping boy. But, singing (badly) with Flo's parents? No way.

Edited by InDueTime
Spelling
  • Love 5
On 8/31/2020 at 6:35 AM, ctlady said:

You mean when he was romancing that "twinkie in the city"?  🙂 🙂

Okay - I am breaking down and officially making my hate known for the girlfriend in this Humira ad.  First off - she looks like she's freaking 12.  Second, those clunky black ankle boots they dressed her in with those uber-high waist crop jeans look like they weigh more than she does.  But - my shallow observations aside - what I hate, hate HATE about these types of commercials about individuals with medical conditions is how they try  - and fail - to make their significant other come off as 'concerned' when they really come across (to me) as annoying and selfish.  You can practically read the look on her face "Oh, you just got here and I made dinner.......and you have to go to the bathroom?"  "We're at a party and you're supposed to mingle with meeeee, but.....you going to the bathroom - AGAIN?"  "I'm sitting here waiting for you to come meet my parents at their house - you better not be late because you're in the bathroom"  GO.AWAY.

My problem with the Humira ad is, if she's still living at home, and she's an adult, why does her room look like it belongs to an 8 year old little girl? You would think at some point she would have updated her room to something a young adult would live in.  It's like a weird time capsule. 

With regard to the ads with the moms who can't play with their kids for whatever reason. Don't you know mom is supposed to be your very bestest friend who does everything with and for you??  You're her world! Her reason! If she lets you down, you'll be scarred for life! At least according to ads, and many people I know. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Peaches - you had a horse???? I LOVE horses, used to own shares in a thoroughbred racehorse back in the day.

Really? A racehorse? That's so cool. Yeah, my mom bought him for me from her real estate commissions. We didn't have a place to keep him so I boarded him out in the country. I would go out on the weekends and ride all day. To keep the boarding fee down I would muck out the stalls and I let them lease him out in the winters as a pack horse to go across the Cascades. It didn't dawn on me until recently that they probably leased him to hunters. 😞

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

With regard to the ads with the moms who can't play with their kids for whatever reason. Don't you know mom is supposed to be your very bestest friend who does everything with and for you??  You're her world! Her reason! If she lets you down, you'll be scarred for life! At least according to ads, and many people I know. 

I don't see the issue with this.  My mom liked to play with me.  Maybe I'm just weird.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't see the issue with this.  My mom liked to play with me.  Maybe I'm just weird.

You're not weird, and I love to play with my kids too. But if I feel bad or have a headache or something and don't feel like playing or doing anything with them, it's not the end of the world for them either. It seems like it is for so many kids anymore.  That's the message I get from the ad. If you're having a bad headache, and can't play with your kids, you're a bad parent and your kids are forever damaged. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

That's the message I get from the ad. If you're having a bad headache, and can't play with your kids, you're a bad parent and your kids are forever damaged. 

I didn't get that from the commercial, the little girl asks the mom if she can play and she says yes and the little girl is happy.  

• Love 6
On ‎08‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 12:15 AM, Brookside said:

I just saw an ad for some kind of food called Devour.  A really angry, ugly-faced man leaps out of the ocean with an open container of the food, which he takes a mouthful of.  The ad is unattractive from beginning to end.  Why does the agency/client think the idea of eating something that has been in the ocean is appealing?  Sand in your sandwiches is bad enough.

It's a play on a nature documentary.  There's one that's supposed to be on the African savannah.  I find them vaguely amusing, and at least no one's making sex noises while eating like they did in previous Devour commercials.  But I get that mileage varies.

On ‎08‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 8:35 AM, ctlady said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates that girlfriend.

On ‎08‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 11:24 AM, Katy M said:

My parents didn't really touch our rooms until they moved to Florida.  At that point my older sister hadn't lived their in 14(?) years, but there were still old clothes and stuffed animals and who knows what all else in our rooms.

My parents redecorated practically the minute my brother and I both moved out.  I think they were afraid one or the other of us would move back in if they didn't, lol.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

It's a play on a nature documentary.  There's one that's supposed to be on the African savannah.  I find them vaguely amusing, and at least no one's making sex noises while eating like they did in previous Devour commercials. 

OMG, that one was the single worst, most disgusting commercial I've ever seen and I've seen the Skyrizi commercial.

• Love 3

The Colonial Penn Commercial with the fake elderly women playing cards and discussing how old folks can't afford burial/funeral costs at $ 8000.00  But wait...with Colonial Penn you don't need to worry about that. 

It's the poor unconvincing actors that get to me. And fuck Colonial Penn for being vultures that prey on older people.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I didn't get that from the commercial, the little girl asks the mom if she can play and she says yes and the little girl is happy.  

That, plus the fact that the mom is probably so happy to not have a migraine, and even have the option of playing with her kid. For those reasons... I’m giving this one a pass in my personal Court of Judgement of Commercials. 

• Love 5
On 9/1/2020 at 8:38 AM, QuinnInND said:

My problem with the Humira ad is, if she's still living at home, and she's an adult, why does her room look like it belongs to an 8 year old little girl?

I thought at the beginning of the ad, the girlfriend is shown in her own place, making dinner for sickie boy. Later, she goes to her parents' to wait for sickie to come meet them, probably for the first time. When he gets there, she shows him her old room, which hasn't been redecorated. She also takes him into the backyard to see her old swing, which also hasn't been removed.

This important mystery hinges on whether the kitchen shown at the beginning is different from the one at the parent's house. I'm pretty sure it is, but change my mind.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I thought at the beginning of the ad, the girlfriend is shown in her own place, making dinner for sickie boy. Later, she goes to her parents' to wait for sickie to come meet them, probably for the first time. When he gets there, she shows him her old room, which hasn't been redecorated. She also takes him into the backyard to see her old swing, which also hasn't been removed.

This important mystery hinges on whether the kitchen shown at the beginning is different from the one at the parent's house. I'm pretty sure it is, but change my mind.

That's what I thought also.

• Love 1

My husband has had ulcerative colitis for over 25 years. I have a great deal of sympathy for anyone who suffers from it. For the most part, it's been under control with meds. However, 2 years ago it flared up to the point it took his doctor almost 3 months to get things under control and find the right doses to keep it controlled At one point, he didn't leave the house for 3 weeks because he had to be within a few feet of a toilet. I asked him about Humira - his doctor never suggested it. He had already looked into it, and said he preferred her treatment approach because of the side effects of Humira. Autoimmune diseases are a bitch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/27/2020 at 12:25 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

Hahaha @CrystalBlue piss indeed! I've never liked it; tried it once a million years ago and bleh, not even a decent lawnmower beer. How have you managed to only see this commercial once? Like I said, this crap plays multiple times every hour, all day and night, on every single show, on every single channel.

Maybe they could use the buckets of money they spend on all those commercials to improve the taste of their product.

When I was looking up Mexican food on Postmates a few months ago, I came across a local restaurant named Corona. I ordered from them solely because I imagine it's been much more difficult for them to stay in business because of stupid people being put off by the name. The food was fine and I think I need some nachos delivered for lunch today!

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
On 8/6/2020 at 7:38 PM, mmecorday said:

The Trintellix commercial with the blonde woman who can't find the energy to fold her laundry is back. The scene where she can't peel a banana has been edited out.

As someone who has had low-grade depression most of her adult life and tends to overdo it when it comes to taking advantage of the times when I'm motivated, this meme makes me laugh: "'Could a depressed person do THIS?' she says at 12:15 a.m. as she folds the laundry that came out of the dryer six days ago." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9