Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I got chicken pox at 22-23 from my kids. It was miserable but I am still hesitant at 71 to get the vaccine. Also I haven't gotten a flu vaccine since 1994, never have had the flu in all that time, yet my dr is pushing it. I am taking far more serious defensive tactics than before Covid and I just don't feel comfortable getting one. My choice and I will live, maybe die from it.

Good for you! No vaccine for me, ever.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

...It starts with one lady, dressed like she just came from the office, at a tile store...

This makes me mad because what the fuck are five women (or five PEOPLE) ever going to do together a tile store? Like what the fuck are they going there to accomplish? It sure isn't pick out tile. 

Maybe they work together and are redecorating the office and want to pick out new tile for the place.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Maybe they work together and are redecorating the office and want to pick out new tile for the place.

I thought maybe the same thing, but the geographic spread of these stores (again, it's a very local commercial), I mean one store is almost two hours from another! Also, unless they're five way partners, generally a designer does this work and presents options at the office (I only know because I'm doing an office reno in my role as purchaser, and I'm not going to any tile stores!). 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

I thought maybe the same thing, but the geographic spread of these stores (again, it's a very local commercial), I mean one store is almost two hours from another! Also, unless they're five way partners, generally a designer does this work and presents options at the office (I only know because I'm doing an office reno in my role as purchaser, and I'm not going to any tile stores!). 

I think so too. When we moved our office I was put in charge of selecting the paint, floor coverings , window treatments, etc. You wouldn't have five people doing it. For one thing they have other things they need to be doing. I don't know what the commercial is trying to say. "Our customers are idiots" is all I get.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I think y'all are over thinking the tile store commercial. One - they have 5 stores. Second, they're not close to one another, thus, one of the 5 stores is most likely near you.

OK, so knowing that, one of these six women was like "Let's meet at Wayne tile!" and no one was like (a) Fuck that, it's a tile store, I have better things to do or (b) more importanlty, "Which one?" And no one before leaving to go to their store said in the group chat featured in the commercial "Hey, just to clarfiy, which store are we going to, my gps says there's six stores and they're all quite a ways from each other and if I have to drive more than 15 minutes, see answer "a"."

OF COURSE I'm overthinking it. I've been quarantined for six months! It's the same reason I hate that leafgaurd gutter system convention and its bizarre looking emcee! 

51 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think so too. When we moved our office I was put in charge of selecting the paint, floor coverings , window treatments, etc. You wouldn't have five people doing it. For one thing they have other things they need to be doing. I don't know what the commercial is trying to say. "Our customers are idiots" is all I get.

Word, how long would your job have taken if you needed buy in from six people on window treatments? Would it EVER be done? Frig that!

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

It's the same reason I hate that leafgaurd gutter system convention and its bizarre looking emcee! 

god yes! I can't stand his face! Not to mention the Vanna White wanna-be who "displays" the three part leaf filtering system with her elegant hands.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 9/10/2020 at 8:45 PM, chenoa333 said:

Who died and left Marie Osmond the spokesperson for Publishers Clearing House? 

Ed McMan.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:48 AM, tres bien said:

I'd risk my house being burglarized or spend a fortune on a home security system before I'd buy SimpliSafe.

The spokesman. a former burglar, is so offensive to me.

Oh, I hate the SimpliSafe commercials with that guy wearing a wool skycap and the big mustache! Something about those two things makes me queasy.

On 9/13/2020 at 3:03 PM, peacheslatour said:

This one has me scratching my head. Kentucky Fried Chicken changed to KFC because people were becoming wary of eating fried food. So now the Colonel is touting the fact that he has fried literally everything, except French fries, so now he is frying French fries. So why bother with the name change?

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I read they changed to KFC because they had to pay the state for using "Kentucky" in their name.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

McCormick: "With McCormick by your side for over 130 years . . . ."  How old does that make me?

It makes me think, "How old are your spices?"  "As old as the ones in my cupboard?"  To be fair, I love McCormick spices; their grinders (Peppercorn Medley, Italian Seasoning) are must haves for me!  So, shout out to McCormick.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

They don't do insurance ads, either.

Actually, they do because they are animal actors whose owners get paid for their appearances and they must be protected by the American Humane Association (AMA).  😄 Is the LiMu Emu a real emu?  (Asking for a friend.)

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Ed McMan.

Oh, I hate the SimpliSafe commercials with that guy wearing a wool skycap and the big mustache! Something about those two things makes me queasy.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I read they changed to KFC because they had to pay the state for using "Kentucky" in their name.

According to Snopes, that is true!  The extra added bonus of eliminating the word Fried was touted as the real reason, I suspect so they would appear to be progressive and cool and PC and, dare I say, woke?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I can't really decide if this should go in the "Say What" thread, but it annoys me more than it puzzles me...  The Nissan Sentra commercial where the woman is told by her boss that she won't be getting a raise.  The car pulls up and they go on a ride where she is convinced not to compromise because the car doesn't compromise (or something).  I get the "don't compromise" part, but really, buying a car and not getting a raise aren't even on the same planet. How does this car help her get a raise???  (unless she's supposed to run over her boss with it... hmmmm.....)  I'm irrationally annoyed by this.

I do admit to laughing at the "drop the taco, get in the car" line.   But I'm still annoyed. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

i saw 2 different commercials for Skirizizi over the weekend and now t hat stupid song is stuck in my head.

"Nothing is everythiiiiiiiing." Dear God, make it stop!

I can take that commercial better than the "O....O....O.....Ozempic" with all the characters exclaiming "Oh" after the voice over narrates different tidbits about the medication.  I'm like, "No....No.....No.....Can'tStandIt"

And PLEASE stop with the Buick/Alexa commercials that continue to target lazy, self-absorbed douche-waddles."  "Alexa....I'm too busy putting my diamond earrings in - start my Buick" Oh, and the kid with the driver's ed teacher using the auto-steer to parallel park.  I'd fail his rear-end and made sure he'd never get a license. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yes the Emus won. Here's a very funny Youtube video that'll tell you about it. 

Entertaining and informative, but shouldn't the voices from the Australians be spoken with an Aussie accent?  I don't hate hate on the LiMu Emu commercials, because I love animals in commercials, but the concept of a guy named Doug who has a pet emu is ridiculous, and annoying because it's an obvious rip off of the Geico Gecko!

• LOL 1

I don't know why this ad annoys me so much, but it does. The "mother/wife" in the ad has appeared in other ones, and she annoys me there as well. But particularly in this one, the luminous look she gives her "husband" at the very end just irritates the heck out of me. I read it as "I love....... all the money we are socking away with Fidelity Wealth Management. Oh, and you too, I guess"

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ntja/fidelity-investments-wealth-management-when-the-world-gets-complicated

23 hours ago, ctlady said:

I can take that commercial better than the "O....O....O.....Ozempic" with all the characters exclaiming "Oh" after the voice over narrates different tidbits about the medication.  I'm like, "No....No.....No.....Can'tStandIt"

Once again, a ‘70s pop classic is nearly ruined(Pilot’s “Magic”).

• Love 5

For a while there was a prescription drug that used (or is it abused) Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" in its TV ads. Now there's an equally terrible version of that song being used in Xfinity's current TV ad campaign. And then there's the matter of the woman on horse back riding through a city street like she's Rick Grimes. WTF?

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

For a while there was a prescription drug that used (or is it abused) Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" in its TV ads. Now there's an equally terrible version of that song being used in Xfinity's current TV ad campaign. And then there's the matter of the woman on horse back riding through a city street like she's Rick Grimes. WTF?

I thought that was the woman doing donuts with her horse at the end till I figured out it was the guy on a motorcycle.

• Love 3

These commercials literally turn my stomach.  The Hidden Valley commercials where the guy makes a pig of himself, shoving food in his mouth covered in ranch dressing or the guy slurping dressing through a straw.  I just find them to be just icky, and it doesn’t help that I’m not a fan of ranch dressing. 

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

These commercials literally turn my stomach.  The Hidden Valley commercials where the guy makes a pig of himself, shoving food in his mouth covered in ranch dressing or the guy slurping dressing through a straw.  I just find them to be just icky, and it doesn’t help that I’m not a fan of ranch dressing. 

What? Really? That's just as bad as those messed up those Devour ads with the guy spanking his food. Bleh.

"You flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami, my friend."

4 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Speaking of ranch dressing, there's that Jake From State Farm commercial with Parker, the pizza delivery person, who is such a fan of State Farm she swings by (Black) Jake's house to deliver free pizza, "an atomic brownie cuckoo cuckoo crusty, and a side of ranch" which is a gallon jug.  Hate that commercial and the way she says "and a side of ranch" is weird.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Speaking of ranch dressing, there's that Jake From State Farm commercial with Parker, the pizza delivery person, who is such a fan of State Farm she swings by (Black) Jake's house to deliver free pizza, "an atomic brownie cuckoo cuckoo crusty, and a side of ranch" which is a gallon jug.  Hate that commercial and the way she says "and a side of ranch" is weird.

Wait, the "new" Jake from State Farm is Black?

This is truly a YMMV ad. I love it. I think the actress's tender delivery of the line "and a side of ranch" while turning the handle of the giant jug so he can grab it is hilarious. 

• Love 4

Well, ladies.....just when we were suffering enough embarrassment by all the 'lady garden 'products, I just saw this yesterday  - product called OMV (stands for 'oh my vagina) specifically targeted to tweens/teens.  Because what teenage girl doesn't want to have a 'funk-free period?  And seriously - why do younger girls need a separate product with cutsie scents like oatmeal-vanilla, etc?

I could only find this version on youtube, but the one I saw had more crotch closeups of cheerleaders doing backflips, splits and such. 

3 hours ago, ctlady said:

Well, ladies.....just when we were suffering enough embarrassment by all the 'lady garden 'products, I just saw this yesterday  - product called OMV (stands for 'oh my vagina) specifically targeted to tweens/teens.  Because what teenage girl doesn't want to have a 'funk-free period?  And seriously - why do younger girls need a separate product with cutsie scents like oatmeal-vanilla, etc?

I could only find this version on youtube, but the one I saw had more crotch closeups of cheerleaders doing backflips, splits and such. 

OMV? OMG.  This seems to be an exploitation of young girls and an excuse to "show and tell" their intimate parts.  What next?  Young boys advertising a special penis wash?  You know, because using Dad's old penis wash isn't good enough or fun enough?  Just when you think the companies have sunk to the bottom, they keep descending.  And you know where that leads us.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Wait, the "new" Jake from State Farm is Black?

This is truly a YMMV ad. I love it. I think the actress's tender delivery of the line "and a side of ranch" while turning the handle of the giant jug so he can grab it is hilarious. 

The original Jake from State Farm was a white guy answering the customer service line at 3 in the morning.  They introduced another Jake and he's the current AA man.  I don't like the commercial because Parker is delusional in thinking Jake put out a special Parker Promo just for her to save money, she acts like a fangirl and is a stalker because Jake didn't order any pizza, she just comes by.  Weird.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

The original Jake from State Farm was a white guy answering the customer service line at 3 in the morning.  They introduced another Jake and he's the current AA man.  I don't like the commercial because Parker is delusional in thinking Jake put out a special Parker Promo just for her to save money, she acts like a fangirl and is a stalker because Jake didn't order any pizza, she just comes by.  Weird.

Heh, Parker would have to be stalking him because otherwise how would she know where her insurance rep lives? Most people aren’t going to know where their insurance rep lives (I say “most” because I know where my insurance rep lives, she’s my neighbor.)

• Love 5

I can't stand the Dixie commercial where the guy spills spaghetti all over his date's lap. Why is he using paper plates when it's just him and one other person? Is he that fucking lazy? Then that girl should run. Can he not afford nice plates? You can buy two decent plates for two dollars at the dollar store, and it'll be cheaper than a pack of Dixie plates, not to mention create less garbage.

Nobody needs paper plates anymore since no one is having parties so Dixie has to pretend it's reasonable to use them for dates.

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I can't stand the Dixie commercial where the guy spills spaghetti all over his date's lap. Why is he using paper plates when it's just him and one other person? Is he that fucking lazy? Then that girl should run. Can he not afford nice plates? You can buy two decent plates for two dollars at the dollar store, and it'll be cheaper than a pack of Dixie plates, not to mention create less garbage.

Nobody needs paper plates anymore since no one is having parties so Dixie has to pretend it's reasonable to use them for dates.

The paper towel commercial that kills me is the one where the little girl's volcano overflows and dumps approximately forty thousand gallons of shit all over the place and mom comes running to the rescue with a paper towel. Girl, you better grab a shovel and wheelbarrow for all of that.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Wait, is his name "Black Jake?"

Edited by Neurochick
  • LOL 2

Alec and Caleb from Shriner's Hospitals have done some new commercials.  Note:  I have nothing against Shriner's hospital nor the kids themselves, but these commericals just grate on my last nerve.

The new social distancing Internet meeting commercial features a manic Caleb totally over-acting via video confernece with a somewhat subdued Alec.  I do wonder if they are planning on phasing Alec out at some point.

Then there is a "bring the family to school" commercial where Caleb introduces the doctor, nurse, physical therepist and shriner as member of his family.  This one is actually fairly tolerabke,

Finally there is a spelling bee commerical.  All I really remember from this one is that the punch line joke at the end is Alex being asked to spell "adorable".  They milk it dry with that one.

I'm actually considering giving a donation to Shriner's Hospital because they do great things, but I seriously don't want that ugly blanket nor do I want to potentially be set up for and endless stream of spam for them and various other charities.

• Love 5

Thanks for the warning

24 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Alec and Caleb from Shriner's Hospitals have done some new commercials.  Note:  I have nothing against Shriner's hospital nor the kids themselves, but these commericals just grate on my last nerve.

The new social distancing Internet meeting commercial features a manic Caleb totally over-acting via video confernece with a somewhat subdued Alec.  I do wonder if they are planning on phasing Alec out at some point.

Then there is a "bring the family to school" commercial where Caleb introduces the doctor, nurse, physical therepist and shriner as member of his family.  This one is actually fairly tolerabke,

Finally there is a spelling bee commerical.  All I really remember from this one is that the punch line joke at the end is Alex being asked to spell "adorable".  They milk it dry with that one.

I'm actually considering giving a donation to Shriner's Hospital because they do great things, but I seriously don't want that ugly blanket nor do I want to potentially be set up for and endless stream of spam for them and various other charities.

Thanks for the warning!  I found two out of the three and am posting here for anyone (else) who can't wait to see those adorable children from SCH:

Kaleb and Alec Video Chatting

Spelling Bee

• Love 1