Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 8/31/2020 at 4:44 PM, peacheslatour said:

I think the thing that irritates me more is that the kids are bugging their moms to play with them. I had no desire to play with my mom at that age. I wanted to be with my friends, outside, riding my bike or swimming down at the lake. About the only thing I ever remember asking my mom to do was drive me places. The skating rink, out to see my horse or to the mall. 

Same here. I hung out and played with my friends. Our moms would give us rides to places but they were busy doing their own things too. Wasn’t cool for your mom to be your “friend” like it is nowadays.

• Love 6
On 8/28/2020 at 3:17 PM, peacheslatour said:

The Angel Soft with lavender commercial is pissing me off. The woman VO says the scent is in the roll. Does the idiot in the commercial believe her? Hell, no. All this does is serve to remind me that men DO NOT listen to women. He keeps looking all over the place for the scent and she keeps telling him where it is.

I have a poor sense of smell, but would it be that difficult to locate the source of the lavender toilet paper?

On 8/31/2020 at 6:08 PM, dleighg said:

I just saw the ad that someone mentioned some time ago, for some sort of supercharged tide pods. These dimwit parents are in their backyard watching their boys roll around in the mud. "Can Tide Pods deal with this mess?" "Yes, yes, it can." "I need to see this." 

If you are skeptical that any laundry product can handle that mess, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU STANDING THERE WHILE THEY DO THAT?

Be a parent!

I wonder if the little boys have mental problems and the parents gave up trying to stop them from doing things like rolling around in mud or shoveling spaghetti into their mouths.

Am I the only one who thinks "poopeybutt!" during those incontinence commercials?

• LOL 1
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
21 hours ago, sempervivum said:

This important mystery hinges on whether the kitchen shown at the beginning is different from the one at the parent's house. I'm pretty sure it is, but change my mind.

That's what I thought also.

I think the kitchen in the opening scene is either hers or theirs.  I'm pretty certain the scene where she's sitting with her parents, wringing her hands, wondering if he's going to be late because of another flare up is her parents house because when she sees him out the window he's looking around wondering if he's got the right place - meaning he's never been there before.   But....he did make it on time because - you know...Humira!

• Love 4

The Cadbury Milk chocolate bar commercial is grating on my nerves. Where the poor little girl "buys" a chocolate bar for her mom with her "prized trinkets".  Store owner takes the trinkets, gives her the chocolate bar and then gives her the "change" of the mini my little pony.

Seriously stupid unrealistic commercial. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

The Cadbury Milk chocolate bar commercial is grating on my nerves. Where the poor little girl "buys" a chocolate bar for her mom with her "prized trinkets".  Store owner takes the trinkets, gives her the chocolate bar and then gives her the "change" of the mini my little pony.

It certainly doesn't have the charm of the old Crackerjacks commercial.

3 hours ago, greekmom said:

True story here.

Years ago, we were driving to a family dinner at a relatives home who lived 2 hours away.  It was Easter, the kids had already gotten their Easter baskets and were taking them with us, partly to show them off, but mostly to use them for the Easter egg hunt.  We stopped halfway there at a little roadside store because one of the kids had to go to the bathroom.  I gave the oldest kids some money and told them to buy something for the three of them in exchange for using the bathroom.

The kids went into the store, while we waited outside.  We watched them buy a treat and then walk towards the bathroom.  Suddenly, the youngest ran back to us and got in the car.  We asked her what was wrong, but she didn't reply.  She seemed excited, not scared, so we just let it play out.  She found her candy and took out some foil wrapped gold 'coins'.  I thought I knew what was going on.

The older kids were standing in the store looking confused.  Youngest ran back to the store and happily put her gold coins on the counter, chattering up a storm.  The ladies working there were charmed, and all the kids went into the bathroom. 

When they got back, they piled into the car and we drove off, with the ladies smiling and waving.  Turned out my youngest thought that you had to pay to use the bathroom, and she hadn't been given money to pay.  So she thought that she would pay herself using her gold coins.

Edited by Zahdii
Tried to make my post more coherent.
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10
On 8/28/2020 at 12:17 PM, peacheslatour said:

The Angel Soft with lavender commercial is pissing me off. The woman VO says the scent is in the roll. Does the idiot in the commercial believe her? Hell, no. All this does is serve to remind me that men DO NOT listen to women. He keeps looking all over the place for the scent and she keeps telling him where it is.

Is he supposed to be able to hear her? I thought she was doing commentary, not talking to him.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:38 PM, InDueTime said:

There are few ads that make the instant mute button list for me, but this Progessive one does.

I'm glad Jamie gets ads where he's not the whipping boy. But, singing (badly) with Flo's parents? No way.

I think the thing I find most annoying about these Progressive commercials is the fact that they wear their work uniforms 24/7.

• Love 1

I hate the Snickers commercial where the guy comes out in his tightly whities, thinking the company is on Zoom, but they’re in the yard with his wife. Stupid.  The other one I greatly dislike is the mean, obnoxious Cheerios guy.  Talk about cranky with the rude comments. We have enough nastiness in the world without having a jerk cereal guy.

Hate beyond anything——-all Progressive commercials, but the newest one with the group singing Danny Boy makes absolutely no sense. 

I really wish they would get rid of the Jergen’s mother and daughter.  The mother comes off as a skeevy, over-sexed half brain.  

• Love 2

I don't hate Flo, I know I'm in a minority there. But in the Danny Boy commercials, is the Flo actress playing the Dad too? Or did they do a switch and the Jamie actor is the dad? 

There's a commercial I'm seeing quite a bit, for Samsung Galaxy wrist communication device, 2 way wrist radio, something. Opens with a man flailing his arms around like he's conducting an orchestra, except the music starts a few seconds later, as soon as the music starts, he looks at his 2 way wrist radio, answers a text. All the while, the "music" is going, dink,dink,dink,dink...But every time I join in or try to make the music sounds later, it always morphs into Jingle Bells.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

But in the Danny Boy commercials, is the Flo actress playing the Dad too?

Yes, it's another commercial in which she plays her whole family (although this time we just see Mom and Dad).  Jamie is just a guest.

• Love 2

I remember the commercial with the actress playing the entire family.

But in the new one, it does crack me up when the mother asks why she never told them about all the bundling discounts. I love the look on her face when she says, "I only told you a million times."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The other one I greatly dislike is the mean, obnoxious Cheerios guy.  Talk about cranky with the rude comments. We have enough nastiness in the world without having a jerk cereal guy.

Please be nice to Carl. You'd be grumpy too if you were Steve Urkel's neighbor!

2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

But in the new one, it does crack me up when the mother asks why she never told them about all the bundling discounts. I love the look on her face when she says, "I only told you a million times."

Flo said "I literally have told you a million times", which makes me laugh. Her family truly must despise her.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I think Stephanie Courtney is a very talented actress.  According to her imdb page she's not hurting for other work either.

9 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I really wish they would get rid of the Jergen’s mother and daughter.  The mother comes off as a skeevy, over-sexed half brain.

Leslie Mann.  She's an actress best known for her work in rom coms written by her husband, Judd Apatow.  It figures she'd play a silly, airhead version of herself in a commercial.

9 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The other one I greatly dislike is the mean, obnoxious Cheerios guy.

Is he the same actor in the other Cheerios commercial who says he's in love with his heart?  He cracks me up in that one.  Love the way he says it.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I think Stephanie Courtney is a very talented actress.  According to her imdb page she's not hurting for other work either.

interesting. My father always said, every time he saw the ad, that "she must be someone's daughter because how else would she get the job" LOL. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I always remember her from her pre-Progressive role as the Files and Records clerk in Angel. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

This is an older commercial but it drives me nuts because of the music.  It’s for Etsy and a guy is singing, I think, express yourself, but it sounds like “spread yourself”.  It cracks up my niece and nephew as they lay on the floor with their arms and legs splayed out.  

• Love 1

I'm finding one of those CarShield commercials annoying.  "They put in a new transmission AND a new motor.  Who does that?"  Well, I would imagine anybody who needs a new transmission AND a new motor. They didn't pay for it just for funsies.  Not sure why both broke at the same time, though. That might be the better question.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, EighteenTwelve said:

I'm kinda with the cranky Cheerios guy.  I want to finish my breakfast (and put on pants) before being shoved out the door for a brisk walk first thing in the morning. 

That's Stanley from The Office. He's always like that. He dos not have time for this bullshit.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm finding one of those CarShield commercials annoying.  "They put in a new transmission AND a new motor.  Who does that?"  Well, I would imagine anybody who needs a new transmission AND a new motor. They didn't pay for it just for funsies.  Not sure why both broke at the same time, though. That might be the better question.

I don't know which company it is but the one where the pitchman is pretending to be at some sort of "event". I hate those things. They are interminable.

11 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Flo said "I literally have told you a million times", which makes me laugh. Her family truly must despise her.

thank you for the exact quote, it cracks me up too, I have been lazy, didn't remember exactly, didn't bother to put that I was familiar with the previous commercials featuring Stephanie Courtney as the entire family, they've been out for a long time, I assumed (yes, I guess I did make an ass of me) that it was understood that I had seen those ads numerous times and was aware enough to know it was the same actress, I just was wondering if they were doing a little switch to give Jamie a little more screen time. And thank you Haleth for mentioning her name. I've seen it before, probably somewhere on one of these pages, I was just being lazy and tired and didn't look it up. I think she's a talented actress also and is probably financially secure from making these ads and can pick and choose what she wants to do. And good for her.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

She was in an episode of Major Crimes (in one of the comedic episodes, playing a shady doctor whose practice is built on supplying her celebrity clients with their pill stashes), and I never thought of her as Flo.  I recognized her, of course, but I believed her as the character even though I'd only ever seen her - and had been seeing her for what seems like decades - as Flo.

• Useful 4
On 9/4/2020 at 3:18 AM, Ubiquit0us said:

Please be nice to Carl. You'd be grumpy too if you were Steve Urkel's neighbor!

If I were Urkel's neighbor I'd be blissfully content and enjoying the peace and quiet in a maximum security prison after feeding his chopped-up bits to gators.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

I wish the guy who does the Arby's commercials and the Reese's commercials would just go away!  We've got the meat? Not sorry? Keep your meats and you should be sorry. On way too often.

Ok, I feel better.

This has bothered me forever. 

• Love 2
On 9/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, Katy M said:

I have mentioned before the couple with their snappy suspenders.  One always looks like they just smelled a bad fart.

• LOL 3

They have been running that stupid Jiff Peaunt Butter commercial again.  Bad enough that she gets attacked by  CGI squirrels, but then with some dude with a squirrel head?  

Edited by Neurochick
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

There is one right now that I can't even believe. It's from The Milk Council or some shit. They have people pouring milk over their heads, filling up wading pool with milk and sitting in it, making fountains and all sorts of wasteful crap and then they want us to send them our own little videos of ourselves wasting milk in the most disgusting ways possible. I hate to be a downer but damn, there are children starving to death in this world.

• Love 16
On 8/26/2020 at 1:35 PM, peacheslatour said:

Yes but why oh, why have the Medicare supplemental insurance commercials multiplied like freakin' rabbits?

Because the middle of the baby boom is about to turn 65 and that's when most people have to decide whether to get this or not.  1955-1956 were the peak years for the boom.  I was born Dec. 1955 and most of my mail now consists of Medicare "information".

• Love 4

I hate this commercial mainly because it's the worst version of I will survive I could possible imagine.  

hey I've got an idea, let's take a hugely powerful upbeat empowering song and turn it into a depressing slow moving soft melody that invokes sadness and pity. 

• Love 14

I can't say it enough, I thoroughly dislike LiMu Emu, but I really, really hate Doug.

And most of Pluto's self promoting ads, but in particular those for MTV's reality shows. Good grief, so many people grasping, greedy for fame and validation! They seem to run them in some kind of pattern, haven't seen the one for Made with the whoa dang girl (as I call her), who doesn't want to be known as the girl who throws on clothes and takes out trash, she wants to be hella hot and a pageant girl. I've never thought of myself as someone who throws on clothes and takes out trash, even though I've been known to do both but I would not describe myself that way. Then there's the simpering, greedy little thing that wants her sweet sixteen to be bigger than her wedding, she wants all the adoration and admiration of all her peers. Who would want to go to a party as a prop to a spoiled brat who wants to be adored and admired? I guess her peers have zero self esteem and just want to be on television. 

But in rotation now, is an ad for The Hills, I think. Two young women, one looks like a young Joan Van Ark and the other resembles Marcia Brady. The Joan Van Ark one apparently hurt the other one in some way and is apologizing. The Marcia Brady one interrupts the apology to tell her she understands that the apologizing is hard, but the thing now is to forgive and forget and she really wants to try to forgive and then she wants to forget the Joan Van Ark one exists. What a controlling little witch. The more I see it, the more I hate her.

And then there are the constant ads for some channel called America's Voice. I had to look up who owned Pluto to see what political connections because it's very one sided. I won't go into more because it will get me kicked off here. Pluto is owned by CBS Viacom, who I've not thought of as one sided. But I still wonder who pays for the ads for channels on this streaming service. And, not just because of the political channel. Why does the Addams Family channel and Antique Roadshow get more ads than the CSI channel for example? Or Cold Case Files gets some ads while The New Detectives or Forensic Files get none? 

Just thoughts I ponder late at night when I can't sleep.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I hate this commercial mainly because it's the worst version of I will survive I could possible imagine.  

hey I've got an idea, let's take a hugely powerful upbeat empowering song and turn it into a depressing slow moving soft melody that invokes sadness and pity. 

I posted the same in the Earworms thread! I Will Survive is not a mournful, poor me song. In the greater scheme of Facebook's crimes against humanity this one is minor, but it is more than irksome.

• Love 7

This is very minor, and about old commercials. But these still run all the time, and I admit to being a pronunciation snob!

I just hate the way the doctor in the Good Rx ad tells her patient 'I recommend GID ER EX'. Another one is the Deal Dash commercial where some guy tells us proudly that he got 3 pieces of luggage for only '40 NOLLARS'.  Yet another: the sporty young doctor for the medication Qunol, who talks about it's 'SPEERYUR SORPSHUN'.

It's like they're all too lazy to move their lips or tongues.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 9/6/2020 at 7:38 PM, Maverick said:

I'm going to need the creepy as fuck commercial with the cat heads on human bodies in a western saloon to go away now. 

Is that one for kitty litter? I keep seeing some that seem to have been lifted from that terrible Cats: The Movie with weird creepy CGI. 

21 hours ago, Neurochick said:

They have been running that stupid Jiff Peanut Butter commercial again.  Bad enough that she gets attacked by  CGI squirrels, but then with some dude with a squirrel head?  

Speaking of Cats: The Movie, that is NOT a squirrel costume! 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Nicmar said:
  On ‎08‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 5:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

Yes and Brooke Shields has La-Z-Boy all over her multi million dollar abode.

You know, that made me think of my La-Z-Boy opinion: I hate the Kristin Bell commercials.  (Okay, I hate Kristin Bell in everything.)  They need to bring back Brooke Shields who was funny in hers.

• Love 9

Doug & LiMuEmu... "The ones that really bother me are the ones that got away..."  Well, duh.  Think you'd be bothered by someone you sold a shitload of insurance to?  I didn't like that guy when he was Jimmy/State Farm ("You're not helping, Ma.") and he's even worse now.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I didn't like that guy when he was Jimmy/State Farm ("You're not helping, Ma.") and he's even worse now.

Doug is Jimmy?  I hate Jimmy!  Yes, still, after all this time, and so clearly; I do not have to look it up to say:

That commercial has probably the best of the no-name insurance company's versions of the State Farm jingle with "I have blah blah insurance, so person come help", but when Grandma teleports herself and an entire corner of her outdated kitchen to the middle of nowhere to call the insurance company, her grandson is all excited to see her, but ungrateful dipshit Jimmy just chides her that she's not helping. 

Oh, really, Jimmy?  Because your mom is listening to drippy hold music to get someone from the cheap-ass insurance company YOU selected to take care of the fallout of an accident YOU caused while you stand around complaining.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I despise the Idina Menzel commercial.  She looks like ass.  Is she wearing a wig?  She sounds even more like ass.  "Let it Go" never sounded this bad.  Whoever thought it would be a great idea to pay this woman to "sing" in their commercial deserves to be fired.  Somewhere, John Travolta is sitting on his couch thinking, "damn, that Adeel Daseem got REALLY REALLY wickedly bad".

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

You realize she has 3 Tonys, all for musicals?

I do.  Which is why I'm puzzled by this commercial.  I don't know if she's supposed to be playing a caricature of herself (one that apparently confuses "tax attorney" and "taxidermy") that purposely sounds bad, or what.  If I'm her agent, why would I put her into a commercial in which she seems dumb for mixing up words, looks bad, and sounds bad?  Does she need the money that badly?

• Love 8

Commercial I have seen one too many times now on the Decades channel. 

Covenant House which is another charity needing money each month.

Nothing against the charity but this particular one starts out with yet another acapella  version of Amazing Grace, a song I have now come to despise especially in acapella form , usually sung by someone who makes alley cats throwing up sound like Grammy material. I can't hit the mute button in time usually before they trill the second syllable in "Amazing " which every ass clown who sings that tries to do, much like people who can't sing the Star Spangled Banner attempt. 

I dont have satellite TV, dish etc. I have an antenna and am fine with that as i only watch about 5 channels anyway. After that this year I have been plowing through my DVD and yes, even VHS collection just to get away from the bullshit on TV,  yet these screeching, amplified vomit commercials still find their way in

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Tashalynn29 said:

Nothing against the charity but this particular one starts out with yet another acapella  version of Amazing Grace, a song I have now come to despise especially in acapella form , usually sung by someone who makes alley cats throwing up sound like Grammy material. I can't hit the mute button in time usually before they trill the second syllable in "Amazing " which every ass clown who sings that tries to do, much like people who can't sing the Star Spangled Banner attempt. 

Amay        zing grace.  If you have to take a breath in the middle of the word, you have no business singing that song.  And if you pronounce perilous as per-ull-iss you have no business singing that song either.

• Love 7