Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have direct deposit and the day after Scott does the payroll, it shows up in my account as a pending transaction. It's not actually available until Friday, when the actual paychecks get handed out.

I guess I never lived paycheck to paycheck so I didn't check it that closely. It showed on my statements as being deposited that day.

• Love 1

The Applebee's "Welcome back" commercial has led me to check if i can watch Welcome Back Kotter on Amazon Prime Video vs going to their restaurants.   Whoever is creating these commercials isn't thinking about what the viewer is going to think.

• Love 7
On 7/21/2020 at 3:19 PM, chessiegal said:

The brand is Lively. I needed a new bra so I went to their web site, and it is a mess! Once I found one I wanted, it wouldn't let me choose a size, so there was no way to move forward. I gave up and found my favorite on Amazon.

I finally had to check this out, after reading all the comments. Have to say I was put off by some of their  descriptions. Like when I was looking at non-underwire bras, they told me they were (something like) for when you don’t wanna wear a bra, but you hafta “.  No, I just want to look at bras without underwire. Stop trying to judge me!

But if you do want to order and you’re having trouble, maybe try a different browser?  I’ve sometimes had problems in Firefox but something works in chrome. Or vice versa. I feel like I’m playing browser bingo sometimes. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 7/24/2020 at 11:08 AM, eyelash said:

The Chime commercial where the woman is so smug to get paid 2 days earlier than others and says she can "boast" at the office about having already been paid

I just came here specifically to rant about that exact commercial.  SO WHAT you got paid two days earlier?  What's there to boast about?  You'll just have less by the time everyone else gets paid.  Go away, you smug twit!

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
On 7/24/2020 at 8:08 AM, eyelash said:

The Chime commercial where the woman is so smug to get paid 2 days earlier than others and says she can "boast" at the office about having already been paid.  Is paying a fee to receive money already owed to you 2 days sooner than you would otherwise get it something to be envied by coworkers?

To me it sounds like she's saying "posting" which in my opinion is worse because why on Earth would you want to broadcast to the world about getting your paycheck? Who do you think is going to care, or why?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

To me it sounds like she's saying "posting" which in my opinion is worse because why on Earth would you want to broadcast to the world about getting your paycheck? Who do you think is going to care, or why?

I can't stand her either but perhaps she's referring to her bank online account posting that the money is there?

• Useful 1
34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I can't stand her either but perhaps she's referring to her bank online account posting that the money is there?

Nah, she says she's at the office boasting to her co-workers that she already got her pay, while they are losers waiting for payday. I'm sure she's very popular at work.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

I'm getting tired of the "husband and wife folding laundry on the couch" commercials that Tide has been doing lately.

And while I'm here, I also want to announce my hatred for the Humira commercials where the people are looking directly at the camera. I don't know about anybody else, but I don't like the people in commercials looking at me.

• Love 5

I've read through several pages of the most recent posts and didn't see any mention of what I think is the number one most aggravating, earworm/eyeworm of a commercial and that's the one for Corona Beer.

First, it features an insipid, sappy "songlet" that goes "Right now, right now, love is everywhere." Well, anyone paying attention to current events would have to say no dammit, no it's NOT! Then it shows shots of people "finding their own beach." For me at least it falls into the category of a lot of commercials trying to press people to feel good during "these uncertain times"--please make that phrase go away--when frankly I think it's perfectly fine and normal even to feel cranky, anxious and fearful during these uncertain times. It's called being human.

What makes this commercial especially excruciating for me is that it is played during every single commercial break of every single show; sometimes it's played TWICE during a commercial break which works out to a minimum of six to seven times an hour, every hour, all day.* Believe me I am wearing out my remote control trying to avoid it.

I kind of get it. If I was unfortunate enough to own a business with the same name as as a killer virus, I would be trying to paint a happy face and create positive consumer feelings about my product. However their advertising is having the opposite effect on me and I don't think that I'm alone in that reaction. Probably doesn't help that I couldn't stand Corona Beer before the pandemic.😊

*That's a separate annoying trend in a lot of commercials I'd like to hear comments about.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

First, it features an insipid, sappy "songlet" that goes "Right now, right now, love is everywhere." Well, anyone paying attention to current events would have to say no dammit, no it's NOT! Then it shows shots of people "finding their own beach." For me at least it falls into the category of a lot of commercials trying to press people to feel good during "these uncertain times"--please make that phrase go away--when frankly I think it's perfectly fine and normal even to feel cranky, anxious and fearful during these uncertain times. It's called being human

I know this ad!  That song is corny, sounds dreary and not uplifting at at.  And what bugs me further is that one of those ‘love’ shots is in an aquarium with a penguin gazing through the glass at what I think is a Beluga whale...? Don’t whales eat penguins?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

And what bugs me further is that one of those ‘love’ shots is in an aquarium with a penguin gazing through the glass at what I think is a Beluga whale...? Don’t whales eat penguins?

Check this out.  Don't worry, it's adorable.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

And what bugs me further is that one of those ‘love’ shots is in an aquarium with a penguin gazing through the glass at what I think is a Beluga whale...? Don’t whales eat penguins?

Beluga whales don't -- Belugas live in the Arctic.  Killer whales, on the other hand....

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, ctlady said:

I just came here specifically to rant about that exact commercial.  SO WHAT you got paid two days earlier?  What's there to boast about?  You'll just have less by the time everyone else gets paid.  Go away, you smug twit!

I don't even think it's something you can successfully boast about.  Recently, some of my coworkers noticed that their direct deposit randomly started going through a day early, and no one else cares besides to say "oh huh, mine's not doing that."

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/24/2020 at 11:08 AM, eyelash said:

The Chime commercial where the woman is so smug to get paid 2 days earlier than others and says she can "boast" at the office about having already been paid.  Is paying a fee to receive money already owed to you 2 days sooner than you would otherwise get it something to be envied by coworkers?

What really mystifies me about this commercial @eyelash is that she's so impressed with herself--appears to be in her early twenties--for "discovering" direct deposit when this process has been commonplace since before she was born.

Can't recall when businesses began to offer direct deposit (mid to late 80's?) but I do remember that when it became available if your co-workers saw you still cashing your check at the bank they would most likely say "Why don't you get direct deposit?" and not act like you just discovered sentient life on Mars or Bigfoot.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I've read through several pages of the most recent posts and didn't see any mention of what I think is the number one most aggravating, earworm/eyeworm of a commercial and that's the one for Corona Beer.

First, it features an insipid, sappy "songlet" that goes "Right now, right now, love is everywhere." Well, anyone paying attention to current events would have to say no dammit, no it's NOT! Then it shows shots of people "finding their own beach." For me at least it falls into the category of a lot of commercials trying to press people to feel good during "these uncertain times"--please make that phrase go away--when frankly I think it's perfectly fine and normal even to feel cranky, anxious and fearful during these uncertain times. It's called being human.

What makes this commercial especially excruciating for me is that it is played during every single commercial break of every single show; sometimes it's played TWICE during a commercial break which works out to a minimum of six to seven times an hour, every hour, all day.* Believe me I am wearing out my remote control trying to avoid it.

I'm watching the Travel Channel right now, and I've seen it probably six times in the past hour. I'm so over it. If I have to watch those people doing their stupid TikTok dance one more time, I'm going to pull an Elvis, and shoot my television. And you're right...the "song" is insipid and SO annoying. 

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, scarletine said:

I'm watching the Travel Channel right now, and I've seen it probably six times in the past hour. I'm so over it. If I have to watch those people doing their stupid TikTok dance one more time, I'm going to pull an Elvis, and shoot my television. And you're right...the "song" is insipid and SO annoying. 

Hahaha, love "pull an Elvis" @scarletine and totally understand.😀 What's also aggravating for me is that I deliberately avoid a lot of Covid-19 related programming to distract me from the very sad and devastating nature of this horrible virus. I do keep up-to-date with current Covid-19 information. However, as many posters have said here, they know what's happening but just don't want to be reminded of it every minute of every day; so do I. 

• Love 4

The Angel Soft commercial, when the Dad missed his daughter's soccer game, and she locks herself in the bathroom, and doesn't come out until he wastes an entire roll of toilet paper, by passing it under the door, with the words "I am so so so so so (entire roll worth of so's) sorry" written on the paper.

What really bothers me about the commercial is that it is an advertisement for toilet paper, and that is not what toilet paper is used for.  How is this telling me that I should buy your product?  Also, during "these uncertain times", I am still not always certain there will be an abundance of toilet paper at the stores, so it is made all the more annoying that this asshole just wasted a whole roll.  Now he is a deadbeat Dad who missed his kid's game AND his family can't wipe their asses!

• LOL 13
  • Love 9
On 7/25/2020 at 11:10 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

I kind of get it. If I was unfortunate enough to own a business with the same name as as a killer virus, I would be trying to paint a happy face and create positive consumer feelings about my product. However their advertising is having the opposite effect on me and I don't think that I'm alone in that reaction. Probably doesn't help that I couldn't stand Corona Beer before the pandemic.😊

*That's a separate annoying trend in a lot of commercials I'd like to hear comments about.

I've seen this feel-good beach party crap only once and that was enough for me.  What a bunch of social distancing awareness PSA hogwash!  Corona beer tastes like swill and is the only beer in the world advertised with a piece of fruit on top to give it that extra flavor their bottle of piss cerveza needs.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Corona beer tastes like swill and is the only beer in the world advertised with a piece of fruit on top to give it that extra flavor their bottle of piss cerveza needs.

Hahaha @CrystalBlue piss indeed! I've never liked it; tried it once a million years ago and bleh, not even a decent lawnmower beer. How have you managed to only see this commercial once? Like I said, this crap plays multiple times every hour, all day and night, on every single show, on every single channel.

Maybe they could use the buckets of money they spend on all those commercials to improve the taste of their product.

• Love 3

All beer tastes like swill to me; if I'm out with friends for a social occasion that calls for beer-drinking I'll either drink Guinness or beg off and be the designated driver. So the particular brand and its flavor doesn't influence how its commercials strike me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Why are so many pills coming out in gummy form?

I think it's mostly because they taste good. I started off taking a particular supplement by buying a gummy version ("why not"?) until I looked at the calories! I forget, but I think it was like 100 calories for the two per day recommended amount! I really don't need 100 extra calories for something I can just swallow!

• Useful 4
10 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I think it's mostly because they taste good. I started off taking a particular supplement by buying a gummy version ("why not"?) until I looked at the calories! I forget, but I think it was like 100 calories for the two per day recommended amount! I really don't need 100 extra calories for something I can just swallow!

I take my daily multivitamins in chewable form not for taste but because I have a gag reflex to large pills. I had to go check the calories, and it's 10 calories per dose. Phew.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I take my daily multivitamins in chewable form not for taste but because I have a gag reflex to large pills. I had to go check the calories, and it's 10 calories per dose. Phew.

Same here - for the gagging and low calories.  Bonus- they do taste good which makes it easy to remember to take them 😋

• Love 5

The “Garage Band” Cutter bug spray ad is the latest ear assault that has me scrambling for the mute button.  I like rock music and loud bands.  I have been to many ear-splitting concerts in my day, including AC/DC, Oz-fest, and The Who.  But the screaming guitar in this commercial is just too frickin LOUD! And extra annoying because it has NOTHING to do with mosquitoes! This ad is right up there with the Skyrizzi and “All strength/No sweat” jingles as far as how much it hurts my ears. The notes are just the right pitch/key to slice right to the “pissed off and irrationally enraged” lobe in my brain.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Back in the 50s when most folks used Smith Brothers cough drops when they had a cough, I asked my mom to buy me Pine Brothers cough drops - they weren't hard; they were made with glycerin and were kind of chewy. I am assuming they were the first "gummy" remedy. I loved 'em, especially the honey flavor.

Wow! They still make them!  https://www.amazon.com/Pine-Bros-Softish-Throat-Natural/dp/B01ALBZOQW/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=glycerin+lozenges&qid=1595952376&sr=8-4

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

I hate the Kraft Mac n Cheese commercials where the bratty kids refuse to eat, so of course, the permissive mothers  placate the kids by giving them Mac n cheese.  I know I was brought up in a different time, but if we didn’t eat what mom made, too damn bad.  We went to bed without.  No way would mom make separate things if we got grumpy.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
19 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I hate the Kraft Mac n Cheese commercials where the bratty kids refuse to eat, so of course, the permissive mothers  placate the kids by giving them Mac n cheese.  I know I was brought up in a different time, but if we didn’t eat what mom made, too damn bad.  We went to bed without.  No way would mom make separate things if we got grumpy.  

My mom used to say "I'm not running some greasy spoon here. I'm not a short order cook." My kid was allowed to make himself a peanut butter sandwich, clean up after himself and eat it in his room. I was forced to eat as a child and I would never do it to a child of mine. Those Kraft mamas are krazy.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I hate these too, but more because of the stupid song. Ugh. I also find it to be a weird, random thing to do; it's not like there is "opposite-sounding" music playing before the mac & cheese, so isn't just the now happy, quiet, not fleeing kid enough to make the point?

• Love 4
On 7/27/2020 at 8:55 AM, Miss Bones said:

The Angel Soft commercial, when the Dad missed his daughter's soccer game, and she locks herself in the bathroom, and doesn't come out until he wastes an entire roll of toilet paper, by passing it under the door, with the words "I am so so so so so (entire roll worth of so's) sorry" written on the paper.

And given the fact that the girl is the one in the bathroom, not dad, it doesn't really make sense that he's the one passing the sheets to HER...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

"Funding for children's programs are at risk." Really--"funding are"?!

This may be worse than "Do you wish your clothes would come out of the dryer wrinkle free [or something like that]? Well, you can!"

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 7/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, Dirtybubble said:

I can NOT STAND this commercial!  I don't need someone in my bathroom telling me how to brush my teeth.  Is this really what a motivational coach does??  And WTH does that have to do with car insurance?

I actually LOVE DJ Khalid in that commercial - he's really hamming it up. And did anyone notice that he tells Devin to brush in a "circle" motion as opposed to "circular?"

And while we're on the topic of insurance commercials - it bugs me that the new Jake from State Farm pronounces "insurance" as "IN-surance" with an emphasis on the first two syllables. Yeah, I'm a writer by trade, please bear with me folks lol.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I actually LOVE DJ Khalid in that commercial - he's really hamming it up. And did anyone notice that he tells Devin to brush in a "circle" motion as opposed to "circular?"

And while we're on the topic of insurance commercials - it bugs me that the new Jake from State Farm pronounces "insurance" as "IN-surance" with an emphasis on the first two syllables. Yeah, I'm a writer by trade, please bear with me folks lol.

I used to work with a woman who placed the stress on the first syllable of a lot of words. UMbrella, INsurance, and, yes, The Beverly Hillbillies had it right - CEEment.  She was from south Georgia.  She also pronounced the gas oddly: Ox-ja-gen with a hard g.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, amass said:

I hate the Discover commercials with the clips from 90s tv and movies. There’s one with yes synonyms  and one with no synonyms. I hate them both.

I haven't seen the "Yes" one that I can recall, but the "No" one has me diving for the mute button every time. Mostly because of Chandler Bing. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

LOL, I never even noticed that.  I guess people pronounce words differently.  That's what makes the world go round!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, scarletine said:

I haven't seen the "Yes" one that I can recall, but the "No" one has me diving for the mute button every time. Mostly because of Chandler Bing. 

What? You don't care for Miss Chanandler Bong?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

There's a commercial airing now with a woman looking at herself in the bathroom mirror acting like what she's seeing is the image of a hot mama. She says she takes care of her skin. "Not this skin," she says, pointing to her face. Then she casts her eyes downward. "Down there" like she's in kindergarten. It's an ad for bladder leakage pads.

Isn't there enough terrible stuff going on in the world right now without this hot mess of a commercial?

• Love 14
On 7/20/2020 at 7:03 PM, Phebemarie said:

This is a horrible commercial.  

Oh, yeah.  I shut if off immediately.  A least the one with the daughter and mother is not quite as annoying as this one.

• Love 5
On ‎07‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 1:18 AM, Maverick said:

If they were acting that way over a covid vaccine I'd get it, but is shingles some hot button right now? 

Having known someone who had shingles very badly, I get it completely.  That shit is painful and can last for weeks.  It won't kill you, but it will make you wish it would, apparently.

On ‎07‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:00 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The shingles vaccine now in Shingrix (spelling?) which is two shots 2 to 6 months apart.     It's 98% effective, after the two shots.     

The previous shingles vaccine was only about 50% or a similar not great percentage effective.     I got the first one in 2008, and the Shingrix when it was available at my pharmacy, when they got it in.     I know too many people that had multiple bouts with shingles, and some that had the nerve pain that never stops, so that's one disease I never want to get.   

That commercial doesn't bother me, but the singing hoo-haw one makes me rabid.  

My insurance company covered the first one at 50, but won't cover the better one until I hit 60.  So I've got five years to get through without getting shingles - fingers crossed.  I don't mind the commercial, although they do seem to be running it a lot lately.

The singing hoo-hah commercial is so, so, so terribly stupid, I can't even with that one.

On ‎07‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 2:33 PM, Katy M said:

I hate that bra commercial that they've been showing a lot lately.  I don't remember what it's called, but it starts out with someone asking her friend to adjust her bra for her and her friend tells her she needs this kind of bra and she exposes the strap and the adjuster is on the top.  I've literally never seen a bra with an adjust thing not on the top.  And then if you tighten it comes forward.  Am I really supposed to believe there are bras out there that have the adjuster in the back where you can't reach it?  I mean I've had bras with no strap adjuster at all.  But, not one in the back.  And if it didn't have one at all her friend wouldn't be able to adjust it any more than she could.

I have a lot of bras where the strap adjuster is on the back of the strap, but that may just be because I have the strap as tight as possible.  And no, I can't adjust them while wearing them.  It is a weird commercial, though.

• Love 7
On ‎07‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 5:21 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I can’t stand the insurance commercial with the screaming Idina Menzel.  My opinion is probably shaded by a very negative experience during a concert with our local symphony.  First, she’s 45 minutes late, walks out barefoot because she didn’t feel like putting on shoes and talked/rambled for 10 minutes between each song.  If all that weren’t bad enough, she kept dropping F-bombs during her chats.  Because of her starring in Wicked, there were a lot of young kids in the audience, and the parents did not appreciate her profanity.  For $125 a ticket, it was a major disappointment. 

I think she has a terrible voice, but am kind of amused by her mis-reading tax attorney for taxidermy.

On ‎07‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 12:51 AM, nokat said:

The ad that I hate is Applebee's welcome back. I don't know if you've eaten any of it, but no, I don't want it again.

Awwww, I like that one.  Although I'll admit it's mostly nostalgia for Welcome Back, Kotter.  And I like most of their food, although I haven't had those bowl things.

• Love 5
(edited)
On ‎07‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 2:18 PM, peacheslatour said:

Of course you have to manage your money but that's not the point of direct deposit. It depends on the policy of the business you work for. As office manager at my job, I did payroll. I used to do it on Tuesdays but I didn't hand out the checks until Thursday every two weeks. So myself and everyone else who had direct deposit had the money in their accounts on Tuesday. Two days earlier than the people who didn't.  Except, funnily enough the principals, they didn't have it because they didn't want their wives to know how much money they made.

I work for a county government.  Pay day is Friday.  Direct deposit does not change that.  The money is in our accounts on Friday morning.  The only exception is when a federal holiday on which banks are closed falls on payday Friday (basically Christmas, New Years and July 4th).  Then, and only then, our pay hits our bank accounts on Thursday.

On ‎07‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 2:10 AM, DC Gal in VA said:

First, it features an insipid, sappy "songlet" that goes "Right now, right now, love is everywhere."

Oh god, I hate that song.  But I do have a beach happy place I go to mentally.  Of course, it involves a sexy Kiwi/Aussie actor, surfing, and absolutely no Corona whatsoever.

Edited by proserpina65
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Awwww, I like that one.  Although I'll admit it's mostly nostalgia for Welcome Back, Kotter.  And I like most of their food, although I haven't had those bowl things.

I didn't mean to offend, which I realized I might have after writing that. I just don't like the commercial.

• Love 6
On 7/25/2020 at 7:37 PM, icemiser69 said:

I would think moose and squoyal (squirrel) would have better things to do than be in a Geico commercial.

I've often wondered how I'd phoneticize Natasha's TM pronunciation.  Kudos, but that half-rolled R is a tough one!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I think she has a terrible voice, but am kind of amused by her mis-reading tax attorney for taxidermy.

I think it’s supposed to be a take off on how John Travolta mispronounced her name, Adele Dazeim, at some awards show. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4