Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

The commercial with men saying they're 'on their period', checking their pants for stains, loaning each other tampons, etc. is not really a PSA, it's for a product called 'THINX'. This is some kind of panty that supposedly takes the place of a pad or tampon. The reviews I read indicate they don't really work that well, except as backup.

At the risk of TMI, I love them! Expensive as all hell but worth it--life is so much easier, man. 

There was one guy I met when I was around 21.  He was a sweet, gentlemanly guy, polite and thoughtful; a keeper.  Until he took off his pants.  Circumference of a tuna can.  I kid you not.

Seriously, YIKES! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

I still can’t get over the irony of “quitting one’s soda addiction” by using a product with “soda” as part of its name.

Yeah, that was my objection as well. I quit my diet pop habit (not much of a habit, a six pack per month) cold turkey. 

She doesn't scare me like she does some folks. My attitude is "bring it." 

• Useful 1
25 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I bought the soda stream to make my own carbonated water which I prefer to still. Much cheaper than buying multiple bottles of Perrier every week. 

We used to buy 2 liter bottles of seltzer. After  awhile we ended up with 2 carts at the grocery- one just for seltzer. We quit and went to filtered water.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We used to buy 2 liter bottles of seltzer. After  awhile we ended up with 2 carts at the grocery- one just for seltzer. We quit and went to filtered water.

My refrigerator dispenses filtered water. The soda stream has more than paid for itself and I get fizzy water. I use it every day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/27/2019 at 2:37 PM, smittykins said:

it’s strange to me to see Frank Thomas shilling a “supplement” which would most likely get him suspended if he were still playing.

Not to mention he is still with MLB in some capacity as a broadcaster...

• Love 1
On 10/23/2019 at 8:07 PM, Ohwell said:

I'm sorry, I know it's just a kid, but he annoys the hell out of me.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/o0iA/samsung-galaxy-hallway 

Yes, that was 30 seconds of my life I will never get back.  I agree, he was buggy.

The ad I have to mute these days is the one for pizza where the hubby and wife are flat on the table, cheeks on the table, curious as to how flat their pizza really is!!  Ugh.  Major bug.  Speaking of pizza, the whole group of Red Baron ads has to go.  You have to talk your family into eating frozen pizza for dinner and want an award?

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
On 10/23/2019 at 9:05 AM, Zevious Zoquis said:

I saw an ad the other day for some pharmaceutical.  It features a woman who is the conductor of a marching band.  Through the whole ad she is seen out in front of the band waving her arms back and forth in this robotic, completely repetitive way and stamping her feet to the music.  It looks so stupid!  lol.  I hate drug commercials. 

I'm confused about which marching band ad we're talking about...

Myrbetriq:  https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AUwJ/myrbetriq-marching-band

Jardiance: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oyH4/jardiance-audrey-is-on-it-marching-band

They're both stupid, but I think the strut on the Jardiance woman is SO much more annoying than the woman just waving her arms. Way to hog all the attention, Audrey, prancing like that in front of your students.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2019 at 3:01 PM, Brookside said:

Nugenix® (Official Site) 

Men 45+ Are Feeling Stronger, Younger, And Like A New Man In Just 4-6 Weeks! Experts Finally Speak Out. Enhance Muscle Mass. Award-Winning Formula. Boost Free Testosterone. Special Offer for Men 45+ Boost Performance. Make Your Wife Happier.

…………………………..

Thanks.

I assumed that was what they were referring with the bolded part of their ad!

Hilarious spoof. Love the wife's solution 

Edited by crowsworks
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm confused about which marching band ad we're talking about...

Myrbetriq:  https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AUwJ/myrbetriq-marching-band

Jardiance: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oyH4/jardiance-audrey-is-on-it-marching-band

They're both stupid, but I think the strut on the Jardiance woman is SO much more annoying than the woman just waving her arms. Way to hog all the attention, Audrey, prancing like that in front of your students.

I only saw the Myrbetriq ad.  Never saw the Jardiance one.  Must agree on the annoying factor being much more on the latter.

As a band geek (elementary school through college, and some community band as an adult), I've never been in a marching band where the director was conducting on the field.  It's always been a drum major in my experience when you're on the field.  And when we were practicing inside, it was 50/50 on it being the drum major to get some experience with the songs, or the director.  In the Myrbetriq one, it annoys me big-time to have the silks (flag twirlers) standing that close to the band, with incredibly anemic and slow twirling.  We were never that close to them, lest we get hit.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Why does Lexus find it necessary to use a voiceover in a BRITISH accent?

I absolutely cringe at the way she says 'MAW stery' instead of mastery (yeah, I know she has an accent, but this is so pretentious sounding)

• Love 2
1 minute ago, xaxat said:

I don't care if the guy has his head buried in his phone. He has the right of way. The person driving the two thousand pound vehicle is wholly responsible in this case.

I don't think the commercial is implying otherwise; the song is about him ("there is someone walking behind you ... look at me") and the tag line after the alert does its thing is "We're all on this road together."  He's distracted by his phone, she's distracted by her kids, and the car's camera/alert feature prevents that from leading to disaster; let's all hold hands and sing an ode to technology is the vibe I get from it, not ugh, this fucking guy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 10/27/2019 at 8:05 PM, Brattinella said:

Not a DAMN thing!

Poor guy, though...Given that he was such a "keeper" otherwise. Hopefully he found someone who could, um, accommodate him.

Given that the board I generally post on is about the Duggars (of 19 Kids and Counting), I can't help thinking that Michelle Duggar might actually get some sensation from something of that size. Goodness knows but I doubt Jim Bob can do the trick anymore...

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Poor guy, though...Given that he was such a "keeper" otherwise. Hopefully he found someone who could, um, accommodate him.

I know, its very sad.  There surely must be someone (but I cannot dwell on what that might look like)

• Love 1
On 10/27/2019 at 2:37 PM, smittykins said:

I thought it was supposed to be some sort of testosterone booster.  At any rate, it’s strange to me to see Frank Thomas shilling a “supplement” which would most likely get him suspended if he were still playing.

Probably not. My guess is that it is a snake oil supplement that has no substances that have been proven to be performance enhancers.

• Love 2

New Galaxy ad for a phone (I guess), featuring an overweight, scowling kid 'dancing'/making menacing gestures in the middle of a more or less empty school hallway. He's not at all cute and he has no moves really, so I can NOT understand why this would impel anyone to buy this product.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, OpalNightstream said:

I can’t stand the grub hub commercial with the Lizzo song. Nothing against lizzo because I do think she’s talented, but that particular song is terrible. It sounds so retro...in a bad way...and that commercial is on all the time!

I guess there's something to be said for not knowing any current music, I've not heard it in the original, so I don't know how it could sound, so unless it's outstandingly annoying, it doesn't bother me. But back in the ancient days, I did love the Vogues, Turn Around, Look at Me. I'm getting tired of just hearing the few lines repeated over and over to sell a car.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, sempervivum said:

New Galaxy ad for a phone (I guess), featuring an overweight, scowling kid 'dancing'/making menacing gestures in the middle of a more or less empty school hallway. He's not at all cute and he has no moves really, so I can NOT understand why this would impel anyone to buy this product.

Yeah, I commented on that kid about a week ago.  No way would I buy their product based on that ad.  

• Love 2
On 10/30/2019 at 9:13 AM, Colleenna said:

Why does Lexus find it necessary to use a voiceover in a BRITISH accent? They're trying to sell an overpriced Toyota to Americans. Do they think the British accent makes the product more exclusive, ritzier?

Yes. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 10/30/2019 at 12:41 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

The ad I have to mute these days is the one for pizza where the hubby and wife are flat on the table, cheeks on the table, curious as to how flat their pizza really is!!  Ugh.  Major bug.  

I HATE that commercial, too. 😠😠😠😠😠

• Love 4
On 10/30/2019 at 12:41 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

The ad I have to mute these days is the one for pizza where the hubby and wife are flat on the table, cheeks on the table, curious as to how flat their pizza really is!!  Ugh. 

Pepperoni, pepperoni, pepperoni, cheese, cheese...

There’s nothing under the pizza! They’re going to get cheese and grease all over the table. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Tashalynn29 said:

Here we go again. Day after Halloween and Lexus has the December to remember commercials that will last well into January with the same stale music they have used for eons now.

That's "Decembuh to remembuh." Don't forget the British accent. 😄

• LOL 6
11 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

As a male, I find the commercials about guys and their curved willies unobjectionable. You ladies have had to sit through things like earnest lectures about "freshness" for decades. It's only fair for someone to try to prey on our insecurities for a while. 

IMO, two wrongs (or two categories of wrongs) do NOT make a right! Count me as someone who would like ALL the above commercials permanently tabled and let any who have issues with the aforementioned conditions just consult the appropriate physicians to seek the most viable solutions rather than have all these things inflicted on viewers who have zero interest in any of this stuff- and who may be eating at the time! 

Edited by Blergh
who
  • Love 4

I know that we are never supposed to disappoint "the children" but the drug commercial with the mom who has bathroom issues with the son who looks to be about 12 looking all disappointed that mom doesn't see his basketball games needs to get a grip. Dad is there and as much as it's wonderful to have your mom there cheering you on, if she is not there, she is in PAIN. If she gets up to leave in the middle of the game, it's because she is in PAIN.

Dad might want to explain to son that "Mom feels bad enough that she can't be there because she is in PAIN, because only PAIN would keep her from watching you play...." I think at about age 8, kids should be able to understand if mom can't make it to the game because of health issues. 

• Love 19

I feel like I should be thanking my lucky stars that I haven't seen probably 75% of the commercials mentioned on this thread.  I FF what I can on the dvr but I still watch a good bit live or on sources with ads and I don't recognize most of what I see talked about here.

On the other hand, they're probably being choked out by political ads.  Did you know that every candidate in my state is a Reasonable Patriot who wants to Get Things Done (bonus points for being a military veteran & raised by a single parent), yet all their opponents are Dangerous and Too Radical for us?  On second thought, I'll take early Christmas and male health issues.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

So far I have really liked the Geico Halloween commercials but the one with Caspar the ghost gets on all my nerves. I hate the concept of a child ghost, one and then there's that terrible high pitched voice. Blergh.

It's the same voice (I think) as the Peter Pan at the high school reunion commercial. That made me want to smash the TV and as much as I like Casper, the voice has me diving for the mute button.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

No! Bad Woolite! It does not have "less" ingredients! The word you're groping for is "fewer: Fewer ingredients. Bleh.

And in top of that, I had no idea I needed to be concerned about how many ingredients are in my cleaning products. I mean, that's why I don't make my own soap in a cauldron in the back yard - I'll leave the ingredients to the experts.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

So far I have really liked the Geico Halloween commercials but the one with Caspar the ghost gets on all my nerves. I hate the concept of a child ghost, one and then there's that terrible high pitched voice. Blergh.

Don't disagree with you ,Peaches, although  this character wasn't invented by GEICO as Casper had his own cartoon for a few years   in the 1960s and comic book  for decades.

However, are you expressing revulsion using my pen name as an interjection or you putting my pen name as a means to tell this to me    personally?

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 9
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

On the other hand, they're probably being choked out by political ads.  Did you know that every candidate in my state is a Reasonable Patriot who wants to Get Things Done (bonus points for being a military veteran & raised by a single parent), yet all their opponents are Dangerous and Too Radical for us?  On second thought, I'll take early Christmas and male health issues.

You have all of my sympathy! Political ads are the worst, mostly because so many of the people running have hidden agendas because they are the lapdogs of their corporate overlords.

Please note that this is not a comment on any specific political party or politician or their positions.

• Love 6

I'm fortunate in that the only elections I vote for on Tuesday are for Decatur city commission that's too small potatoes to be able to afford TV ads. I think they're doing their best if they get yard signs out.  Whew! But my channels are Atlanta-based, so when Atlanta has a mayoral election, I get to see all those nasty ads. I'm SO tired of nasty political ads. Tell me what you're going to attempt to do, not what a slimebucket your opponent is.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I haven't seen this commercial mentioned yet. Every time I hear her say, "Use a cocktail stick!" I feel stabby!

Go visit Favorite Commercials - it's popular there. It makes me laugh every time.

• Love 3

I can't stand the commercial that yells "freedom".  It's part of the terrible Phrell Williams song, which is horrible by itself but they pick the most annoying part of it. It's a recent car commercial I forgot which one.  It hurts my ears every time.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2