Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It certainly keeps the girls from competing on a level playing field with boys. At recess the boys played soccer, basketball, baseball, etc. We girls wanted to play too but wearing dresses we couldn't so we'd sit on the swings or monkey bars and watch the boys play. It teaches girls to be passive little cheerleaders instead of competitors or possibly even rivals.

On Little House on the Prairie, Laura played baseball just fine in a dress.

• Love 1

Anyone have experience selling to TheadUP? My stepdaughter told me a bad experience. She worked as a defense attorney for 7 years before starting a family. She recently sent them her old work clothes - name brand suits and the like. They emailed her they couldn’t sell any of it, and donated it all to charity. She found her suits, size 2 petite, on their site for sale. She protested to no avail. If anyone has heard anything similar by this company, I plan on bad mouthing them far and wide.

• Useful 1
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Anyone have experience selling to TheadUP? My stepdaughter told me a bad experience. She worked as a defense attorney for 7 years before starting a family. She recently sent them her old work clothes - name brand suits and the like. They emailed her they couldn’t sell any of it, and donated it all to charity. She found her suits, size 2 petite, on their site for sale. She protested to no avail. If anyone has heard anything similar by this company, I plan on bad mouthing them far and wide.

Not specifically with them, but I know that's somewhat to be expected with consignment places.  One about an hour from me got shut down because they'd monkey with the timeframe that people had to pick their stuff up if it didn't sell, and they'd see their stuff for sale in the store after they'd been told it was donated.

• Useful 1

I understand consignment shops, but this a web site that advertises on TV. Seems there should be some kind of regulation to prevent that kind of monkey business. I guess that's why a site like Poshmark, where you don't send them your items, is a better way to go.

• Love 1
Just now, chessiegal said:

I understand consignment shops, but this a web site that advertises on TV. Seems there should be some kind of regulation to prevent that kind of monkey business. I guess that's why a site like Poshmark, where you don't send them your items, is a better way to go.

Yes, but ThredUp is an online consignment shop - just not brick and mortar, so it's the same concept, and subject to the same problems.  Plus there are a LOT of hidden fees involved.

Places like Poshmark are just resale, which is the route I go.  There's a local resale shop that I take things to.  She tells me straight up what she does and doesn't want.  If I don't want to pick my items up, I tell her to donate to the local thrift store (and she does - I've seen my stuff there), and she offers me either store credit or cash.  No grey area.  Much better concept, and safer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Consignment/resale/thrift stores - they all handle used items.

My social club uses a variety of mortar and brick stores to sell used items to raise money for our charities. We have an understanding with all of them that if something doesn't sell by a certain date, it's either okay to donate or we will take it back. 

Seems like ThreadUP is just stealing clothes. That's why I was asking if anyone had a similar experience with ThreadUP specifically.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Is anybody else sick to fucking death of these almost continuous Medicare ads? They're on every channel, not just the old people channels. I keep running through the channels, trying to escape them but they're every where!

It's the time of year to make Medicare enrollment choices.

• Love 4

Somebody please tell me I did not just see a commercial for some pharmaceutical drug that helps men with misshaped penises? And the actor guy is holding a cucumber that is curved at the end? 

I hope someone can confirm  my sanity right now😄

On 10/21/2019 at 5:56 AM, Ashforth said:

Yes, I found that at a certain age, I just stopped caring about the relentless pressure on women to be skinny, use makeup, agonize over our hair, wear crippling high heels, and always be "sexy" in any given situation.

I feel sorry for that old lady who can't allow herself to relax. But damn, she is smug. It irritates.

I HATE that old hag. 😄

• Love 9
1 minute ago, chenoa333 said:

Somebody please tell me I did not just see a commercial for some pharmaceutical drug that helps men with misshaped penises? And the actor guy is holding a cucumber that is curved at the end? 

Yes, that is exactly what you saw. I posted many days ago about how that commercial really annoyed me. We really don't need to see some of these things!!

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Yes, that is exactly what you saw. I posted many days ago about how that commercial really annoyed me. We really don't need to see some of these things!!

Thank you GramTo6. I swear I thought I was losing my mind. 

What's next? Some drug for men with small scrotums and the actor is holding 2 kiwis? This $hit has just gone too far. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I HATE that old hag. 😄

Yes, alas, I saw it along with my elderly mother. We both wanted to sink into the floor! YEESH! Although I can't say I'd have wanted to see it on my own, I felt even worse that my mother who has seen so much technological progress in the last eight decades had to live to see THAT!

I'm surprised they found a  male performer willing to do that without being pixilated or wearing a paper bag over the head on his shoulders! I guess this person somehow thought mortifying himself like that was better than collecting cans or selling plasma.  Somehow I could imagine  June Allyson (who did Depends commercials) having a good laugh in the great beyond. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I'm surprised they found a  male performer willing to do that

Lol! I know! I would love to have a chance encounter with that actor just so I could ask him how his cucumber was doing!

And I'm sorry your mom had to see that commercial. 

• Love 4

Commercial work is one of the best paying in the business, in terms of how much one makes compared to time put in.  Working actors are quite willing to take some ribbing from their friends for being the face of [embarrassing condition] in exchange for that paycheck and addition to their reel.

As I say whenever this commercial is brought up, I don't have a particular problem with it.  The fundamental phenomenon of "ask your doctor" pharmaceutical ads and how much R&D money is spent on penises, of course, but within that reality: Once they're going to advertise a treatment for Peyronie's disease, and certainly can't include an actual illustration of the condition as the visual, a series of penis-shaped curved vegetables at least gives me a mild chuckle.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

There's an ad for Echo where a girl is preparing a meal for her boyfriend and burns it so she has to call her dad for help (using Echo, obviously). Dad walks daughter through throwing something together with the odds and ends in her cupboard and fridge and she winds up with some sort of spaghetti dish suitable for her impending date. Then the doorbell rings . . . date has arrived! And Dad asks "So, what's his name?" and daughter tells Echo to hang up on her Dad because he had the audacity to ask what her date's name was! WTF. Listen you ungrateful little brat. Your dad just helped you out and all he asked is "what's his name." I get that maybe you find him over-protective or whatever but you can at least tell him the guy's name. It's not like he's asking you if you're sleeping with the guy or getting married.

I hope her date turns out to be an ax murderer. And when the police come to interview Dad he tells them "I don't know, she wouldn't even tell me his name."

• LOL 17
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There's an ad for Echo where a girl is preparing a meal for her boyfriend and burns it so she has to call her dad for help (using Echo, obviously). Dad walks daughter through throwing something together with the odds and ends in her cupboard and fridge and she winds up with some sort of spaghetti dish suitable for her impending date. Then the doorbell rings . . . date has arrived! And Dad asks "So, what's his name?" and daughter tells Echo to hang up on her Dad because he had the audacity to ask what her date's name was! WTF. Listen you ungrateful little brat. Your dad just helped you out and all he asked is "what's his name." I get that maybe you find him over-protective or whatever but you can at least tell him the guy's name. It's not like he's asking you if you're sleeping with the guy or getting married.

I hope her date turns out to be an ax murderer. And when the police come to interview Dad he tells them "I don't know, she wouldn't even tell me his name."

She didn't even have to tell dad the dude's name and she sure as hell didn't need to hang up on him. All she had to say was "Thanks dad! Gotta go!"

• Love 5

That one has been around for a while now (I didn't realize it was back in rotation), and I don't mind it; I think the teasing nature of their relationship is well played by the actors - Dad always fishes for info on the guys she's dating even in the early stages, Daughter always shuts him down until/unless it means something, and neither gets annoyed with the other because natures and intentions are good on both sides.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
On 10/23/2019 at 11:14 AM, chessiegal said:

Sue the bastards!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Commercial work is one of the best paying in the business, in terms of how much one makes compared to time put in.  Working actors are quite willing to take some ribbing from their friends for being the face of [embarrassing condition] in exchange for that paycheck and addition to their reel.

As I say whenever this commercial is brought up, I don't have a particular problem with it.  The fundamental phenomenon of "ask your doctor" pharmaceutical ads and how much R&D money is spent on penises, of course, but within that reality: Once they're going to advertise a treatment for Peyronie's disease, and certainly can't include an actual illustration of the condition as the visual, a series of penis-shaped curved vegetables at least gives me a mild chuckle.

But, laughing at some guy's curved penis is just so wrong!  What if it was you?  Or your loved one was affected by it, thus affecting you?  😄

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

But, laughing at some guy's curved penis is just so wrong!  What if it was you?  Or your loved one was affected by it, thus affecting you?  😄

I have a friend with "PD" - his psycho ex tried to yank it off & broke it. He really misses sex, but it's too painful to attempt.  (so he tells me...he may just be trying to get a lot of sympathy.)

Honey Bunches of Oats Lady and her little sing song need to be banned under the Geneva Convention as a method of torture.  I actually feel despair whenever that commercial pops up.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Honey Bunches of Oats Lady and her little sing song need to be banned under the Geneva Convention as method of torture.  I actually feel despair whenever that commercial pops up.

Agree, that song becomes an earworm for hours after I hear it!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

This is not Robitussin's problem, but I once had a life-threatening illness that started as a slight cough and lingered, so I find their commercials' tagline, "Because it's never just a cough" more than a little ominous.  Also, the new ad where they say something about being "born yesterday" and then show the head of an older man (one of the two who were talking about the cough) atop a baby's body is stupid.

• Love 4

There are several ads for “The Good Feet Store”.  Most of them go unnoticed by me, and if the orthotics help folks, then I’m glad they exist.  However...there is one version with a young woman who is obsessed with shoes, especially expensive ones that cause pain (and one assumes, deformities of the feet and toes).  After her rhapsodic ode to how the shoes just “call out” to her, and how much pain they cause, she tells the audience about how The Good Feet Store have helped her. I guess she’s grateful she can spend more money on devices to straighten her gnarly feet AND continue her masochistic relationship with stupid high heels.  

Maybe I am too old, or not enough of a fashionista, but I don’t care how fucking “queeeewt” a pair of shoes is.  If I can’t stand in them comfortably or walk across a room without looking like a new born giraffe, I do not buy the shoes!  

• Love 13

I think there is something wrong with having an actor or actress acting depressed, when they could have a person who is dealing with depression in real life that has experience using the product doing the ad.

Especially since no one who makes these commercials knows what depression is really like. It's more than just sitting around the house in sweats while the dirty laundry piles up. A lot more.

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Especially since no one who makes these commercials knows what depression is really like. It's more than just sitting around the house in sweats while the dirty laundry piles up. A lot more.

The only depression commercial that I saw that came close to what it was like, at least for me, was the woman who was out doing life, and had to hold a happy face sign over her face because she was having trouble dealing.  That one at least felt real to me.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I saw a milk commercial for something called "a2" milk.  Unless I missed it completely, they never said in the voice over what the heck "a2" milk is.  Then I noticed in really tiny print, where it said that it is milk that is more easily digestible.  That still doesn't tell me a whole heckuva lot.

I remember them describing it in the commercial. Maybe you missed the part about them removing the A2 enzymes from the milk, making it easier to digest?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I saw a milk commercial for something called "a2" milk.  Unless I missed it completely, they never said in the voice over what the heck "a2" milk is.  Then I noticed in really tiny print, where it said that it is milk that is more easily digestible.  That still doesn't tell me a whole heckuva lot.

Interesting; A2 milk has been sold for quite a few years now (at least in my area), but has not become so common that a national commercial need not contain any explanation as to why one might want it in the first place.  I wonder if you did just miss it.

A1 and A2 are two types of the protein found in milk.  A2 used to be the only type produced by most dairy cows, but over time commercial breeding practices resulted in the milk found in stores coming from cows producing mostly A1 and a little A2.  About 20 years ago, maybe, A2-only milk emerged as a niche market item, claiming to be more easily digestible, and slowly grew in popularity.  It's more similar to milk produced by various other animals, including humans, but the the studies touting its various benefits over "regular" milk have all been funded by the dairy industry or even the A2 company itself, so who knows. 

• Useful 5
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, chessiegal said:

I’ve been paying special attention both on our TVs and now we’re in a hotel, and there is no volume change with commercials. 

Maybe it's my tv (and my best friend's and mother's tvs), but there is definitely a difference in the volume.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, chessiegal said:

Then I guess I'll be complaining.  Thanks for the info regarding where.  I'm going to start writing this stuff down, because there is a noticeable difference.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I hate this commercial too, but because it's so noisy.  To be fair, Paul didn't turncoat on Verizon; they fired him once they found he was (gasp!) gay.  Paul's back on our screen courtesy of Sprint hiring him.  I say good for Sprint and Paul, but the ads annoy me too!

I don't care why Verizon fired him.  I just want him off my tv, so a pox on Sprint for hiring him.

• Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:16 PM, Kemper said:

The commercial for some new sort of feminine pad.  With guys and men saying they are "on their period" to everyone.  This would include girlfriends, a father and maybe at a meeting.  This is even more icky than the one for the razor or whatever with the women standing in front of bushes and singing la la la.  Truly, this pad commercial has hit a new low.  Men! Saying! They Are! On! Their! Periods!  Let that digest for a minute.  Try watching that one with your teen sons.  Or Father. 

I hate commercial, and really don't want to talk to anyone about their period at all, but the commercial is for underwear that absorbs period flow and is supposed to replace other products.  To which I say, I'm glad I haven't had to worry about that for years.  And it would never have worked for me back then anyway.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, friendperidot said:

I think Peloton was reading the posts complaining about their commercials because they aren't shooting them in front of windows looking out on the city from the penthouse or the mountains, in big empty rooms with the Peloton in the place of honor in front of the big windows. And they don't have the instructors yelling at the rider about how good they are doing and "come on Peloton!" The voice over talks about how it being affordable  (so it's not just for the rich). They're not as insulting as the ads of last year, I still don't want one because as I've said before pushing 70 is all the exercise I'm going to do. 

And "just $58 a month" to have some a-hole scream at me about exercise is still damned expensive.

This discussion just reminded me to register for the next session of my bellydance class, so I guess Peloton is good for something.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, Zevious Zoquis said:

I saw an ad the other day for some pharmaceutical.  It features a woman who is the conductor of a marching band.  Through the whole ad she is seen out in front of the band waving her arms back and forth in this robotic, completely repetitive way and stamping her feet to the music.

That commercial bugs because there's no way the band and the football team would be on the field at the same time.  (If we're talking about the same commercial.)

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't care why Verizon fired him.  I just want him off my tv, so a pox on Sprint for hiring him.

If Sprint’s reception didn’t already suck in my area, this would be another reason not to use it.

Subaru for real?  Your dog family actually went to the park and left their pet in the car with the windows partially rolled down?

Like, I do love the dogs, but this is a pretty irresponsible commercial.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Subaru for real?  Your dog family actually went to the park and left their pet in the car with the windows partially rolled down?

Like, I do love the dogs, but this is a pretty irresponsible commercial.

If it makes you feel any better, it's not actually a park, but a rest area, so the Barkleys aren't likely to be there very long.  Agreed, though, that pets should generally not be left in cars. That said, I've left my dog in the car while I've pumped gas -- in the days before debit cards, when I had to go inside the convenience store to pay.

• Useful 1

I'm hating the Infinity "luxury should be lived in" commercial, where people in evening wear are jumping into a swimming pool.  So -- you're not just wasting money to lease a car, you're ruining expensive clothes.  Ohhhhh-kay. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Is that real??? I think I have seen ads for Axe before, but nothing klikje this. If real, it is over the top!

Yes, it was real (no one is going to afford Jaime Pressly for a fake ad) in that it was indeed produced and released by Axe (about ten years ago now, I'd guess), but I don't remember if it was just an internet sensation or if a shorter version also aired on TV.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Maybe it's my tv (and my best friend's and mother's tvs), but there is definitely a difference in the volume.

Then I guess I'll be complaining.  Thanks for the info regarding where.  I'm going to start writing this stuff down, because there is a noticeable difference.

Yeah, surely there's no shortage of UNannoying homosexual performers  Sprint could have hired instead of Paul (or whatever his actual given full name is). 

• Love 2