Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Aryanna said:

For a long time I've thought Domino's Pizza commercials were beyond stupid. But I can't stand the new ones about if there's something wrong with your order they'll fix it.

The lady says, "We'll be expediting this order" and she does that thing where her voice goes up at the end like it's a question but it's not. And they're running around the restaurant taking it so seriously. Gain some perspective people. It's just a pizza.

If they come running up to my door to fix an order, they better be bringing food from a different restaurant. Domino's is gross.

Mr. Funky hates these commercials, and he always says "How about just fixing whatever is wrong when it goes wrong?  Why come back with a different pizza at a later date?".

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Mr. Funky hates these commercials, and he always says "How about just fixing whatever is wrong when it goes wrong?  Why come back with a different pizza at a later date?".

I think the idea is they fix it now AND you get a free pizza later.  But, and I don't think they make this clear in the commercials, it's only if you're part of their rewards program.

• Love 3
Just now, Katy M said:

I think the idea is they fix it now AND you get a free pizza later.  But, and I don't think they make this clear in the commercials, it's only if you're part of their rewards program.

Ok.  Thanks - no, they don't make that clear.  I think I'm in their rewards program, but it's a waste, because if you don't buy pizza like twice a month, or a lot at once, the rewards expire quickly.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2019 at 10:24 PM, mmecorday said:

Poor kid. He's got a combover and his parents dress him like young Forrest Gump.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oxG2/golden-corral-carved-ny-strip-butterfly-shrimp-real-new-yorker

Just went to the Golden Corral nearest to me. I can say that I will never go back to that place. The furnishings were run down, ripped chairs dirty floors. The food was lukewarm and disgusting. I asked the grill guy for a rare steak and he glares at me like I'm bothering him and cuts me off a chunk of practically raw meat. I use the restroom on the way out and it was totally disgusting. Sorry for the rant. 

Edited by margol29
I can't spell.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Margol29, the Golden Coral I visited recently -- and by recently I mean in the past six months -- was pretty clean and the food was decent, but I couldn't get over how expensive the buffet was! Yes, there's a lot of food on it, but for that price I'd rather go to a nice restaurant that uses locally sourced ingredients for its menu items.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've made the mistake of eating at Golden Corral extactly twice in my life.  Both were a result of seeing their commercials which indicate a completely different experience than what is reality.  Both times, the food was lukewarm, plates and silverware barely passed as clean and the workers all looked like they just got out of prison and on probation.   I seem to recall Old Country Buffet being a somewhat better establishment.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I've made the mistake of eating at Golden Corral extactly twice in my life.  Both were a result of seeing their commercials which indicate a completely different experience than what is reality.  Both times, the food was lukewarm, plates and silverware barely passed as clean and the workers all looked like they just got out of prison and on probation.   I seem to recall Old Country Buffet being a somewhat better establishment.

That's how the one in my city was. We tried it after the much better buffet restaurant closed hoping it would be a good new buffet place for us. Nope not even close.  

3 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

They vary widely.  If you can get a new one, they're not bad.  The old ones are pretty gross.

I know a few different people who worked at different OCB's.  I won't touch them.  I tried 2 different ones before I knew them, and I wasn't impressed then. 

When I want a buffet, I tend to stick to the local ones - not chains, but locally owned one-off's where they're known for quality food and cleanliness.  You pay more, but it's a much better experience.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

am a vegetarian and I would be one pissed off petunia if my Impossible Whopper was cooked anywhere near real meat.  They  would have to use a separate spatula and a separate heat source. Nothing that has touched meat. 

Then you're not going to want an Impossible Whopper.  BK uses a conveyor belt-type grill and cannot guarantee that the IW won't end up in a spot where a regular burger was.  They'd have to wait until all regular burgers already ordered had been cooked, stop the grill and clean it (which is a complicated process requiring sanitizing it as well) every single time on IW was ordered; this would bring a busy lunch/dinner time to a grinding half and cost them far more than the IW was earning them.  And most BK franchisees don't have the space for a separate non-meat grill and probably couldn't afford to retrofit their kitchen anyway.

It's simply not practical or financially beneficial for BK to grill the Impossible Whopper separately.  They can, however, cook it in the microwave using separate utensils upon request.  That's pretty much your only option there.

This is why BK does not advertise the Impossible Whopper as either vegetarian or vegan.  You'll notice that their commercials do not promise that it is either one, just not made from meat.

Most of the frozen veggie burgers that I have tried seem to be full of salt. 

They do tend to be.  It's also how manufacturers add flavor to low-fat foods when the fat is removed.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I guess watching him drag his ass on the rug couldn't get past the censors.   Deleted scene I guess.

Yes, that is a joke.  A disgusting one.

I would PAY to see Ryan O'Reily drag his butt on the carpet!

• LOL 7
On 10/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, smittykins said:

For me, it’s Blue Buffalo’s “Love them like family?  Feed them like family.”  I’m on disability and can only afford to give Shadow Cat Chow(my mom paid her adoption fee and helps with vet bills).

NEVER let these expensive pet food companies make you feel guilty or inadequate as a pet owner. F them.

If the only thing standing in the way of a pet getting a forever, loving home is the food they will be eating....who cares? The pet sure as hell doesn't! 

FYI Smittykins, depending on where you live, there are some churches, organizations that help folks with free pet food.

NOW...here comes my snark: anyone seen the commercial for "Trumpy Bear"!? Yes it's a stuffed Teddy bear named Trumpy. The people in the commercial claim they are law enforcement, firefighters, Marines etc.

No information on WHERE your money goes if you buy a Trumpy Bear but I'm pretty sure it's self explanatory.

Edited by chenoa333
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

NEVER let these expensive pet food companies make you feel guilty or inadequate as a pet owner. F them.

If the only thing standing in the way of a pet getting a forever, loving home is the food they will be eating....who cares? The pet sure as hell doesn't! 

FYI Smittykins, depending on where you live, there are some churches, organizations that help folks with free pet food.

NOW...here comes my snark: anyone seen the commercial for "Trumpy Bear"!? Yes it's a stuffed Teddy bear named Trumpy. The people in the commercial claim they are law enforcement, firefighters, Marines etc.

No information on WHERE your money goes if you buy a Trumpy Bear but I'm pretty sure it's self explanatory.

It's a for-profit company called Exceptional Products. Some people see it as a tribute to the President, while others see it as ridiculing him. Like most things, it depends on your POV.

• Love 3

Ozempic (for diabetes): it uses weight loss as a selling point.  I find that deplorable.

I also hate the ads for GoGurt where the woman literally screams, "She's becoming an INDEPENDENT CHILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  The yelling, the dancing.  All because her not so young child can take a GoGurt out of the fridge and put it in her lunchbox.

Edited by Brookside
Spelling of independent
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, mousegirl said:

Chenoa333 - I HAVE seen the Trumpy Bear commercial and it absolutely cracked me up - it played like an SNL skit and I still can't believe it's not some kind of snarky parody. 

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but ISTR a disclaimer that said “Money-back guarantee not valid on intentionally damaged bears.”

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I also hate the ads for GoGurt where the woman literally screams, "She's becoming an INDEPENDANT CHILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  The yelling, the dancing.  All because her not so young child can take a GoGurt out of the fridge and put it in her lunchbox.

THIS 100%

• Love 6
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Then you're not going to want an Impossible Whopper.  BK uses a conveyor belt-type grill and cannot guarantee that the IW won't end up in a spot where a regular burger was.  They'd have to wait until all regular burgers already ordered had been cooked, stop the grill and clean it (which is a complicated process requiring sanitizing it as well) every single time on IW was ordered; this would bring a busy lunch/dinner time to a grinding half and cost them far more than the IW was earning them.  And most BK franchisees don't have the space for a separate non-meat grill and probably couldn't afford to retrofit their kitchen anyway.

It's simply not practical or financially beneficial for BK to grill the Impossible Whopper separately.  They can, however, cook it in the microwave using separate utensils upon request.  That's pretty much your only option there.

This is why BK does not advertise the Impossible Whopper as either vegetarian or vegan.  You'll notice that their commercials do not promise that it is either one, just not made from meat.

They do tend to be.  It's also how manufacturers add flavor to low-fat foods when the fat is removed.

I guess that is the real reason the Impossible Whopper tastes so much like the real one!!

12 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

It's been around for a while now - they just brought it back.  So stupid.

11 hours ago, Brookside said:

Ozempic (for diabetes): it uses weight loss as a selling point.  I find that deplorable.

It says you MAY lose SOME weight.  They all do, and with one of the meds I tried, I did lose weight.  I'm not sure why, but I was less hungry on it.  I've never been on Ozempic, but I was on a similar med.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

It's been around for a while now - they just brought it back.  So stupid.

It says you MAY lose SOME weight.  They all do, and with one of the meds I tried, I did lose weight.  I'm not sure why, but I was less hungry on it.  I've never been on Ozempic, but I was on a similar med.

I know all the different ads for diabetes treatments mention potential weight loss as a side effect, but this one strikes me as actively promoting their drug not just for the treatment of diabetes but because you might also lose weight.  Hence the happy chappy saying "Oh! Twelve pounds!"  I'm an editor and I tend to be a bit literal minded, so I'm happy to agree to disagree!

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3

My SIL was on some diabetic drug that somehow forced the sugar to bypass normal digestion and sent it straight to the kidneys, so she pissed most of it away. She DID lose weight, but the drug was pulled for some other (dangerously unhealthy) reason. Now she's counting calories, like the rest of us.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My SIL was on some diabetic drug that somehow forced the sugar to bypass normal digestion and sent it straight to the kidneys, so she pissed most of it away. She DID lose weight, but the drug was pulled for some other (dangerously unhealthy) reason. Now she's counting calories, like the rest of us.

That class of drugs hasn't been pulled (Farxiga, Steglatro, Invokana).  There are some warnings because of some rare side effects, but I've been on them for years and haven't had any issues.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Have you had one?  I wondered about it, but didn't want to spend the money in case it sucked.

Some co-workers said that they tried it (they're not vegetarian or vegan).  They said it didn't taste too bad, but had an odd texture.  They also said the key was to have cheese on it (take that for whatever it means - I have no plans to try one).

• Love 1
On 9/30/2019 at 7:13 AM, andromeda331 said:

Also according to her no one tells you what to do when you get a new dog. I must have had the wrong friends and family they all gave advice whether I wanted it or not. 

And it's not like there's a whole section on pets in the bookstore...(including many breed-specific care guides).

On 9/30/2019 at 8:58 AM, chessiegal said:

I ignore the Chewy.com commercials because they have made my life easier. My cat is on a prescription food, and ordering from them is easy, arrives at my door in 2 days, no shipping charge, and the food is cheaper than I can get from my vet.

My parents use Chewy because it's the only way they can get the one flavor of food the damn cat will deign to eat (for now) in any quantity. Often they can only get it in variety packs and then they end up putting the other flavors out for the neighborhood cats.

On 9/30/2019 at 4:19 PM, funky-rat said:

My cats don't eat treats.  Well, Sylvester likes Sheba Meat Sticks, but that's it, and he doesn't get one every day.  

My mom gives the cat treats every night before bed; sometimes she buys "cat treats"... but usually it's just a different kind of dry food than what's in the regular bowl. Cat gets some variety and I'm pretty sure she doesn't care if they're shaped like fish or if package says Party Mix or whatever on it... (they all smell the same to me..)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Have you had one?  I wondered about it, but didn't want to spend the money in case it sucked.

No, just going from the commercial that it tastes just like a meat whopper. I wouldn't risk the money on one either frankly.

• LOL 1
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My mom gives the cat treats every night before bed; sometimes she buys "cat treats"... but usually it's just a different kind of dry food than what's in the regular bowl. Cat gets some variety and I'm pretty sure she doesn't care if they're shaped like fish or if package says Party Mix or whatever on it... (they all smell the same to me..)

People give us treats from time.  We've tried the opposite when we run out of food - tried putting the treats in their bowl.  They aren't having it, lol.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Burger King has the Impossible Burger

Carl's Jr has the Beyond Burger.

I tried the Beyond, they sell them in the grocery store. They were $8 for four, so yes, expensive. I didn't care for it.

Best veggie burger I've had is a tempeh burger from Natural Café (in California, not sure if it's in other states).

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Burger King has the Impossible Burger

Carl's Jr has the Beyond Burger.

I tried the Beyond, they sell them in the grocery store. They were $8 for four, so yes, expensive. I didn't care for it.

Best veggie burger I've had is a tempeh burger from Natural Café (in California, not sure if it's in other states).

As much as we used to make fun of Aunt Sandy, she had a really good black bean burger recipe.

If you could find out what kind of veggie burger they are using, you probably could find it in your local grocery store and make your own burger 

The Impossible Burger™ is not yet widely available in stores. Impossible Foods has a web site where you can search for grocery stores that carry it. It's not a pre-formed patty....it actually looks like ground beef, so you can make your patty as large as you want. Or use it for meatloaf. 

• Useful 1

The Subaru "pre collision braking" with the little girl who kicks the seat and nearly gets her whole family killed. I know, I know, she's just a little pipsqueak. But I can feel the rage from deep in my bones every time I see her.

https://youtu.be/0DRG0Dzr74U

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But it's not her; it's Dad's fault for taking his eyes off the road. Mom's there to be the responsible adult where the kids are concerned. His job is to drive safely.

If that's not the standard for a school bus driver, who has to be responsible for the behavior 30 kids while he drives, I guess it has to be a dad's responsibility while driving with one or two kids.  What if mom's not there? How is mom supposed to know that kid is about to kick seat?  So, I would say, just an accident.

• Love 3
On 10/4/2019 at 8:27 AM, funky-rat said:

Some co-workers said that they tried it (they're not vegetarian or vegan).  They said it didn't taste too bad, but had an odd texture.  They also said the key was to have cheese on it (take that for whatever it means - I have no plans to try one).

My friends had Impossible Burgers at a barbecue recently.  The flavor was so-so, but I thought the texture was fishlike.  It was off-putting.

• Useful 2

Dairy Queen has a chicken and waffles thing going now. I want to smack the woman upside the head every time I hear her say, "my man!" And the daughter is pretty annoying too. I don't mind the husband's "my lady." But the wife's response just raises my hackles. I think it's the way she says it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Dairy Queen has a chicken and waffles thing going now. I want to smack the woman upside the head every time I hear her say, "my man!" And the daughter is pretty annoying too. I don't mind the husband's "my lady." But the wife's response just raises my hackles. I think it's the way she says it.

Awww - I think they're all cute. I'm not interested in the food they're hyping, but I do love DQ soft serve.

• Love 2

This woman - I seriously want to slap her.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/o_hL/audi-q5-road-closed-t1

15 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I agree. Something about this just makes me uncomfortable.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ixei/dairy-queen-chicken-and-waffles-basket-date-night-at-dq

• Love 3

The Old Navy commercial with Busy Philips is disturbing.  From the facial expression she made to her dancing, it leaves me with uncomfortable feelings. I know Halloween is approaching soon but Old Navy didn't need to do this scary $hit.

• Love 7

I am on my last nerve with the Plexaderm commercial! I am a 70 yrs old woman, divorced, two kids, 6 grands, remarried and widowed, breast cancer survivor. Yes, I have bags and sags and wrinkles and I have earned every one and am proud of it!! I would never want to look anything other than what I do. Why is our society so obsessed with looking young/younger??? Used to be age was respected and honored.

• Love 22
On 10/6/2019 at 8:54 PM, mxc90 said:

The Old Navy commercial with Busy Philips is disturbing.  From the facial expression she made to her dancing, it leaves me with uncomfortable feelings. I know Halloween is approaching soon but Old Navy didn't need to do this scary $hit.

I thought is was just me who was scared!  Gah!  I wondered who that was and thought it might be Busy Phillipps.  Her facial expression scares the shit out of me.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oG9f/old-navy-high-rise-slim-straight-jeans-reunion-featuring-busy-philipps

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 9