Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

"The original Whopper clocks in at 660 calories (more than half of them coming from fat), 40 grams of fat, and 28 grams of protein. The Impossible Whopper comes in at 630 calories (again, half from fat), 34 grams of fat, and 25 grams of protein.

The Impossible Whopper does have significantly lower cholesterol — 10 milligrams compared to 90 milligrams — but has more sodium at 1,240 milligrams compared to 980 milligrams."  From healthline.com.

It does have slightly fewer calories and less fat, but also less protein, and the percentage of fat is just as bad.  The sodium count is almost 300 milligrams more than the regular Whopper, though.  (Most of the time when a manufacturer removes fat, they replace it with salt.)  So I guess it depends on how you calculate good for you/bad for you, but let's just say it's still really bad for you.  And not vegan, since it's cooked on the same conveyor belt type grill as BK's other burgers.

I wouldn't consider that "worse" than the original. And I'm vegetarian, not vegan. 

7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Large scale agriculture, enough to feed billions of people, would use a lot of land, too.

I'm not saying don't eat the Impossible Whopper if you want to.  Just don't think you're being healthy by doing it.

I've never had a Whopper in my life and meat or no meat I never will. I would just like it if we tried a little harder to care about the environment. It's a small thing, I know, but it's a start.

• Love 4
On 9/23/2019 at 4:15 PM, shlbycindyk said:

There's currently a commercial running for some car insurance company where a woman is pushing her child in a stroller to the doctor's office because she can't afford car insurance.  My first thoughts are, doesn't she have a mama, daddy, siblings, or some friends that could take them to the doctor?  How about cab fare?  No buses in that town?  For some reason this commercial just drives me crazy.  On the other hand, I could just be overthinking all of this.

Every time that commercial comes on, my husband and I argue about whether or not that kid is real.

• LOL 3

The Jimmy Dean commercial with the damned harmonica.  Its worn out its welcome. I hope he swallows that harmonica 

🤯current Amazon commercial with the microwave oven whose beep sounds like a smoke alarm. I see what you did there, amazon, making people look up thinking their smoke alarm went off just to see a commercial for you selling a shitty microwave.

Makes me hate amazon even more

• Love 3

The “I’m allergic to all things green” kid from the Kraft commercial would get a rough lesson from me. Watch me as I buy mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert and he doesn’t get any because he’s allergic to ALL things green.

Of course, the constipation from being fed beige foods (and me giving him castor oil instead of Maalox) might do the trick.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3

Much like the Mazda commercials with the cover of the Cranberries song has been so overplayed I change the channel, American Express has become the latest in having commercials whose musical cover is nice the first time you hear it but not the next ten- especially when those ten are in the same afternoon because you’ve bought time on every other channel and every other commercial break. The high frequency only serves to make me remember that you don’t know moderation in advertising.

My mom didn’t believe me when I said it was overplayed, but after the commercial played a third time in an hour of programming she conceded. 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I don't know what this commercial is for...but the couple whispers! almost the entire time.  They keep repeating the whispering...repeating and repeating.  I have to turn it off so maybe that is why I don't know what it is for.  They have a baby and need to have things quiet? I know they hold their phones up.  The last time I saw it was during an NFL game. 

I also hate the Amazon "Ave Maria" one...  

• Love 5

re the lady pushing a sick kid in a stroller all the way to the doctor because she doesn't have car insurance or it's cousin, the guy that hates to hitch rides, but has no choice because he doesn't have car insurance and all of the rest of their relatives, in my area, the poor side of town, that doesn't happen. It's more like "insurance, we don't need no stinkin' insurance." and they drive where they need to go anyway and hope they don't get pulled over.

• Love 7

I hate all Chewy.com commercials they are all so stupid. The woman lugging around the big bag of dog food with the 'tired of lugging around big bags of dog food get it delivered' or the moron could use a cart. The one with the woman with a new puppy told she can get everything from Chewy.com great so the puppy can wait three or four days until it all arrives to eat? Also according to her no one tells you what to do when you get a new dog. I must have had the wrong friends and family they all gave advice whether I wanted it or not. The moron who wanted another dog but her husband was worried about the money but somehow chewy.com convinces him?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Don't know if this is a national ad, but the Aspen Dental commercial with the brunette & her "dental emergency" and her praise for Aspen "saving the tooth" is just aural torture. Her raspy vocal fry is 1000x's worse than the migraine suffering, pirate dress up mom.  OMG, I cannot listen to her croaking out words about her stupid tooth. without spinning into an immediate rage.  Did Aspen's services cause that abomination?  If she showed up in their office with that affliction, did the dentist or hygienist suggest she seek out an ear-nose-throat physician ASAP?  Honestly, I couldn't work with or live with or socialize with anyone with that voice.  I'd be in jail for assault. 

24 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I hate all Chewy.com commercials they are all so stupid.

Oh, yes I don't like these either.  Mostly because they are dumb as you pointed out. But there is one version where a blonde woman pronounces 'food' as FEW-d.  She is dead to me.  As is the lady who uses nicotine "GOM" to help her stop smoking.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I ignore the Chewy.com commercials because they have made my life easier. My cat is on a prescription food, and ordering from them is easy, arrives at my door in 2 days, no shipping charge, and the food is cheaper than I can get from my vet.

• Love 8

My only issue with Chewy(other than the $49 minimum for free shipping)is that, yes, they deliver right to your door, but if your order is heavy and you have lifting restrictions(like me), you better hope you can catch the delivery person so s/he can help you get it through your door.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, smittykins said:

My only issue with Chewy(other than the $49 minimum for free shipping)is that, yes, they deliver right to your door, but if your order is heavy and you have lifting restrictions(like me), you better hope you can catch the delivery person so s/he can help you get it through your door.

I push the box into the house on the floor from my front step, then open it and get the food inside the box out. It would be worse if I got it from the vet - carry it from vet's office to car, then carry it from car into the house.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, smittykins said:

Petco will deliver anything you have on repeat delivery for free - no minimums.  I don't buy $49 worth of stuff in a month, so it's not worth it for me.  I spend about $30 on kibble, my mom gets my canned food at Sam's Club, and I buy pee pads once a month for the Tidy Cat breeze - they're about $7.  My cats don't eat treats.  Well, Sylvester likes Sheba Meat Sticks, but that's it, and he doesn't get one every day.  Even with the canned food, I wouldn't hit the $49 minimum.  Even if I did, I'd have to have it all at once.  Petco spaces my shipments out nicely.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

Chewy will ship free, no minimum, if you do autoship. I don't. My cat's prescription food is $47.94 per case, so I order 2 at a time. I save over $5 per case what the vet would charge me, plus I don't have to drive the 6 miles to the vet each way to pick it up. In my case, Chewy saves me time and money.

• Love 6

You folks are making me SO glad I work for a vet. "Purina for Professionals" is what I use. I get a $36 bag of prescription food for $19.93, including shipping. I can't stress enough that if you are at all able to, get a part-time job at a vet.  You apply to Purina, they verify with your vet that you work there, and then you can buy discounted food, which they ship to you. I can get Fortiflora cheap, too (Kitty Probiotics).

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You folks are making me SO glad I work for a vet. "Purina for Professionals" is what I use. I get a $36 bag of prescription food for $19.93, including shipping. I can't stress enough that if you are at all able to, get a part-time job at a vet.  You apply to Purina, they verify with your vet that you work there, and then you can buy discounted food, which they ship to you. I can get Fortiflora cheap, too (Kitty Probiotics).

No thanks. I was a vet tech and before that I volunteered at the Humane Society. I couldn't take it. You are made of sterner stuff.

• Love 5

I don't like people who go out of their way to be mean and nasty just because they can.  I often turn off a TV show where that is occuring because it is upsetting.

But Mayhem is played by Ryan O'Reily, and he can do no bad in my eyes.

• Love 6
On ‎09‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, Colleenna said:

I wouldn't consider that "worse" than the original. And I'm vegetarian, not vegan. 

It sure isn't any better than the original, and the sodium content definitely is worse.  Depends on if that's medically important or not; not everyone is sodium sensitive.  I mentioned the vegan thing because apparently some vegans are upset about BK not being able to cook the Impossible Whopper separately.  Obviously that wouldn't necessarily be a problem for vegetarians.

Like I said, eat the Impossible Whopper if you want.  It might be very tasty.  But it's definitely not health food.

21 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Petco will deliver anything you have on repeat delivery for free - no minimums.  I don't buy $49 worth of stuff in a month, so it's not worth it for me. 

This is part of my problem with Chewy.com, too.  That, and the fact that their prices for the name brand pet foods I buy aren't more than a few cents cheaper than Walmart, and the rest of what I buy is store brand and a lot cheaper than Chewy's name brand stuff.

I hate their commercials because they make new pet owners look like idiots for not already have food and a water bowl when they bring the pet home.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I don't like people who go out of their way to be mean and nasty just because they can.  I often turn off a TV show where that is occuring because it is upsetting.

But Mayhem is played by Ryan O'Reily, and he can do no bad in my eyes.

Um, actually that's Dean Winters. He was great in L&O SVU.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

This is part of my problem with Chewy.com, too.  That, and the fact that their prices for the name brand pet foods I buy aren't more than a few cents cheaper than Walmart, and the rest of what I buy is store brand and a lot cheaper than Chewy's name brand stuff.

I hate their commercials because they make new pet owners look like idiots for not already have food and a water bowl when they bring the pet home.

The people at Chewy are very nice, but about 2-ish years ago, when I was having some problems with Petco, a friend told me to talk to them because she loves them (but she has several large sporting dogs, and gets a lot of stuff from them monthly). I mentioned more than once I was on repeat delivery with Petco, and they made no mention of repeat delivery being free without a dollar threshhold (per someone's post above, it apparently is), or perhaps that's changed in the time between when I talked to them and now.  Because I recall her telling me how to order my stuff so I'd hit the dollar threshhold, and that I'd just have to get one monthly shipment.

Good to know they've gotten rid of that, just in case I get irritated with Petco again (they redeemed themselves after the problems I was having, and I was able to donate a bunch of foot to the local cat cafe).

• Useful 1
42 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

For me, it’s Blue Buffalo’s “Love them like family?  Feed them like family.”  I’m on disability and can only afford to give Shadow Cat Chow(my mom paid her adoption fee and helps with vet bills).

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, smittykins said:

For me, it’s Blue Buffalo’s “Love them like family?  Feed them like family.”  I’m on disability and can only afford to give Shadow Cat Chow(my mom paid her adoption fee and helps with vet bills).

I hate their commercials.  They imply that those of us who can't afford their expensive food are bad pet owners.  Even though the disclaimer they've been forced to add clearly states that both brands of food provide complete and balanced nutrition.  So I don't need to waste hard-earned cash on Blue Buffalo.  Don't feel bad about doing the best you can - Cat Chow is fine for most cats.

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, smittykins said:

We feed Blue Buffalo kibble (Friskies Tasty Treasures with Cheese for cans - my female is a total snoop and refuses to eat pate, so it must be the meaty bits), but it is pricey - no doubt.  Purina Cat Chow is perfectly fine per my vet (her only advice was to try to skip the super cheap dry foods that are nothing but corn).  I don't recall if Purina Beyond is expensive anymore or not - it's grain free. Our late beloved Shadow cat developed dental disease and then kidney failure.  She mostly wanted kibble - she didn't care much for cans - so we switched her to grain free to help slow the diseases.

Purina also has a loyalty program.  I can PM you the info when I get home.  You can enter bar codes from their products (Cat Chow included) to earn points toward food, or other items.

• Useful 4
10 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Oh, I know I know, I loved him in SVU as well.  But he will always be Ryan O'Reily to me.  Did you ever see OZ?

Nope, don't have HBO.

Don't feel bad about doing the best you can - Cat Chow is fine for most cats.

Last time I had Nathan at the vet, he was looking him over and got a very puzzled look on his face. He walked over and picked up his chart and said "It says here that this is a 13 year old cat. This is a five year old cat!" I assured him the chart was correct and he asked what I feed him. The answer? Purina Cat Chow. If Nathan is any example then Cat Chow is just fine. Don't let anybody guilt you into spending more than you can afford.

• Love 11

Who is the woman who does the voice over in the Cancer Treatment Centers of America commercials? Her voice is so annoying! It's bad enough that their message is "Come to us! We cure cancer! No one else knows what they're doing!" Then they have some nasally woman conveying that message.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Nope, don't have HBO.

Last time I had Nathan at the vet, he was looking him over and got a very puzzled look on his face. He walked over and picked up his chart and said "It says here that this is a 13 year old cat. This is a five year old cat!" I assured him the chart was correct and he asked what I feed him. The answer? Purina Cat Chow. If Nathan is any example then Cat Chow is just fine. Don't let anybody guilt you into spending more than you can afford.

The whole series "OZ" is free with Amazon Prime.  Its pretty brutal, but memorable.

• Useful 2

October is here which means it's time for... Medicare Enrollment ads.

I haven't been able to find it anywhere, but every year without fail my local stations constantly airs one for Blue Cross Blue Shield that shows a couple playing cards and the wife giving her husband a smug looks as she beats him at whatever game they're playing. I seen it three times today already, so they sure to do it again this year.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, iHateAmpersands said:

October is here which means it's time for... Medicare Enrollment ads.

I haven't been able to find it anywhere, but every year without fail my local stations constantly airs one for Blue Cross Blue Shield that shows a couple playing cards and the wife giving her husband a smug looks as she beats him at whatever game they're playing. I seen it three times today already, so they sure to do it again this year.

Those ads drive me crazy. On top of the "I promised dad mom could always stay in their house"  and the "I think one of the girls thought I was her mother or her grandmother" atrocities I may just stick with TCM until January.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Postmates ad in which some dude first cuts off his finger and then falls out a window screaming because he cut off his finger. WHY. WHY. This does not make me want to order from you, Postmates; it makes me want to walk away screaming.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Postmates ad in which some dude first cuts off his finger and then falls out a window screaming because he cut off his finger. WHY. WHY. This does not make me want to order from you, Postmates; it makes me want to walk away screaming.

I don't even know what Postmates is, but Martha Stewart looking up and saying "He'll be fine" cracks me up every time.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't even know what Postmates is, but Martha Stewart looking up and saying "He'll be fine" cracks me up every time.

I recently found out what it is, because a local Japanese restaurant fired its drivers, making customers go through UberEats or Postmates for delivery, so I just order elsewhere, but a friend ordered from there when we had movie night at her house last month -- you order from a restaurant, grocery store, etc. and it pays (which is obviously added to your charge) some random person through Postmates to pick it up and deliver to you.  You can track the driver on your smartphone (which I don't have, another reason for not using it), and the guy who delivered our food was quite possibly more drunk than we were judging by the numerous wrong turns and backtracks he took to go just a couple of miles down major roads.

Anyway, despite not being interested in the service being advertised, I also laugh at that Martha Stewart commercial, precisely because of her delivery on "He'll be fine".

• Love 6

For a long time I've thought Domino's Pizza commercials were beyond stupid. But I can't stand the new ones about if there's something wrong with your order they'll fix it.

The lady says, "We'll be expediting this order" and she does that thing where her voice goes up at the end like it's a question but it's not. And they're running around the restaurant taking it so seriously. Gain some perspective people. It's just a pizza.

If they come running up to my door to fix an order, they better be bringing food from a different restaurant. Domino's is gross.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
On 9/29/2019 at 5:27 PM, friendperidot said:

re the lady pushing a sick kid in a stroller all the way to the doctor because she doesn't have car insurance or it's cousin, the guy that hates to hitch rides, but has no choice because he doesn't have car insurance and all of the rest of their relatives, in my area, the poor side of town, that doesn't happen. It's more like "insurance, we don't need no stinkin' insurance." and they drive where they need to go anyway and hope they don't get pulled over.

Or else, people just sell the car.

On 9/29/2019 at 6:56 PM, mojoween said:

I love pinball.  I love The Who.

I do not in any way love whoever the fuck owns the rights to The Who selling out to a damn Toyota ad.

The Who Sell Out 2019

• LOL 2
  • Love 4