Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

They make me lunge for the remote, lest I gag.  Which means I change the channel before their poor daughter has that funny Oh, dear gods embarrassed look on her face, but it's not with sitting through those twits to get to her.

• Love 3
On 10/18/2019 at 11:17 AM, chessiegal said:

I'm guessing the Skittles commercials are aimed at 12 yrs and under.

Quoting myself because we are visiting grandchildren who watch very little TV, and have never seen the Skittles giraffe commercial. They have eaten Skittles and like them. I showed them the ad , ages 8, 6, and 4, and they all thought it was hilarious. There's your demographic.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

So the variant of these with the dog was cute, but this one - what's with the kid clearing his throat and his smug little smile at the end? I don't get what the takeaway is supposed to be from that.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Emma9 said:

So the variant of these with the dog was cute, but this one - what's with the kid clearing his throat and his smug little smile at the end? I don't get what the takeaway is supposed to be from that.

I really dislike this whole commercial premise. Splil.. yell...  towel cones to the rescue. Just pick up the item and move. Will never buy this product.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I really dislike this whole commercial premise. Splil.. yell...  towel cones to the rescue. Just pick up the item and move. Will never buy this product.

Oh, I agree, but at least I mostly get the point they're trying to make. But this one with the kid smirking like he got something over on the parents...why is that supposed to sell me on their paper towels?

• Love 3

“The future of laundry is a desk.”  That’s how I hear it every single time, then the voiceover clearly says “disk” the rest of the time.

”They say at a certain age you just stop caring. I wonder what age that is.” Brings out a strong urge to smack, every time. I think it’s the smugness, and I just don’t like the accent fir some reason.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Calamity Jane said:

”They say at a certain age you just stop caring. I wonder what age that is.” Brings out a strong urge to smack, every time. I think it’s the smugness, and I just don’t like the accent fir some reason.

Oh I see what you did there! I agree sooo much!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

Yes, I found that at a certain age, I just stopped caring about the relentless pressure on women to be skinny, use makeup, agonize over our hair, wear crippling high heels, and always be "sexy" in any given situation.

I feel sorry for that old lady who can't allow herself to relax. But damn, she is smug. It irritates.

• Love 20
On 10/19/2019 at 12:51 AM, xls said:

I HATE THIS !

I hate the song.  With the passion of a thousand suns.  A radio station I used to listen to had a DJ that had a thing for this song and played it all...the...time.  Over 20 years after it was released.  It's just so danged repetitive, doesn't really say much, and is just generally dull.  "Life.  Live is life.  La da da da da life.  Live is life."  Lather, rince, repeat, with "La la la la la" in between the lead singer's repetition.

• Love 2

The commercial for some new sort of feminine pad.  With guys and men saying they are "on their period" to everyone.  This would include girlfriends, a father and maybe at a meeting.  This is even more icky than the one for the razor or whatever with the women standing in front of bushes and singing la la la.  Truly, this pad commercial has hit a new low.  Men! Saying! They Are! On! Their! Periods!  Let that digest for a minute.  Try watching that one with your teen sons.  Or Father. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, Kemper said:

The commercial for some new sort of feminine pad.  With guys and men saying they are "on their period" to everyone.  This would include girlfriends, a father and maybe at a meeting.  This is even more icky than the one for the razor or whatever with the women standing in front of bushes and singing la la la.  Truly, this pad commercial has hit a new low.  Men! Saying! They Are! On! Their! Periods!  Let that digest for a minute.  Try watching that one with your teen sons.  Or Father. 

Are you sure that was for a pad?  Or was that the PSA for "changing the conversation" about periods and how if men had periods, it would be more accepted.  It's ridiculous either way.

• Love 4

Katy M - you are probably correct. How on earth can anyone tell.. all I can focus on is the guy telling his girlfriend (while they were making out) that he was “on” his period. 

I am all for PSA’s - I just wonder who asked for this particular one. Because it is a true crisis. For sure.

4 hours ago, Kemper said:

Katy M - you are probably correct. How on earth can anyone tell.. all I can focus on is the guy telling his girlfriend (while they were making out) that he was “on” his period. 

I am all for PSA’s - I just wonder who asked for this particular one. Because it is a true crisis. For sure.

Yes, it's horrible.  I was just talking to a friend about in on Saturday, actually.  I said that at first I thought it was going to be a PSA for trans people and how men have periods, too.  And then it went a different way.  And why do we need a conversation about it?  We were both pretty against this PSA.  It's uncomfortable.

Are you talking about the parody commercials made several years ago by a UK organization, based around the question of what commercials would be like if men had periods?  I think the "manpon" commercial was the best known, but they did several.  They were designed to showcase how ridiculous and sexist the stigma against menstruation is, because it would be treated quite differently if it was something experienced by men.  And they ended with some statistics, I think about the huge number of women and girls around the world who do not have access to feminine hygiene products or safe access to toilets during their periods.

Ah, here - I found an article about them.

• Love 4

I rather like the commercial where all of the boys/men are having their periods, to me it emphasizes that that it's quite a natural process and so what? I like the one young man checking his behind in the white pants in the mirror for evidence of leakage, I can't of been the only female person doing that. It's just nature, why should we have to hide it or being ashamed because it happens. I think a lot of the reason is because it's a woman thing and that pisses me off. So what if women have their own body things, it's nothing to be ashamed of, but yet, it's been that way forever. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am a vegetarian not quite vegan, but I think I know overcooked when I see it.

Oh good. When I saw that commercial I thought the food stylist had used fake chicken made out of wood, because it looks as dry as wood chips. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I rather like the commercial where all of the boys/men are having their periods, to me it emphasizes that that it's quite a natural process and so what? I like the one young man checking his behind in the white pants in the mirror for evidence of leakage, I can't of been the only female person doing that. It's just nature, why should we have to hide it or being ashamed because it happens. I think a lot of the reason is because it's a woman thing and that pisses me off. So what if women have their own body things, it's nothing to be ashamed of, but yet, it's been that way forever. 

Of course it's been ridiculous.  I was in high school when all girls were required to wear skirts. My friends would ask me to follow them upstairs to tell them if they "were showing". Can you even imagine?

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Of course it's been ridiculous.  I was in high school when all girls were required to wear skirts.

I was 3 years in college before girls were allowed to wear pants to class, had to be skirts all through elementary/jr. high/high school. Now, I'm retired and I haven't worn a dress for 5 years, since the last time I went to a funeral. And I wore hose and a slip, I'm old and old-fashioned.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I was 3 years in college before girls were allowed to wear pants to class, had to be skirts all through elementary/jr. high/high school. Now, I'm retired and I havewen't worn a dress for 5 years, since the last time I went to a funeral. And I wore hose and a slip, I'm old and old-fashioned.

Thanks for the memories!  In high school we had "girls counselors" who would patrol the halls looking for fashion crimes.  At the time a lot of us were wearing skirts with inverted pleats in the front and the counselors (one of whom had the utterly fabulous name of Marthella Spinneweber) would stop us and poke a ruler in our pleats to make sure we weren't wearing /gasp/ culottes.

• Love 6

I don't like the new Carl's Jr. ads (not that I can remember one of theirs that I DID like) where the woman is trying to talk sexy to her burger.  At the end, it turns out that she's eating it in the break room at work near her understandably confused co-worker so it's supposed to be funny, but the part where's she talking to the burger makes me queasy.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Thanks for the memories!  In high school we had "girls counselors" who would patrol the halls looking for fashion crimes.  At the time a lot of us were wearing skirts with inverted pleats in the front and the counselors (one of whom had the utterly fabulous name of Marthella Spinneweber) would stop us and poke a ruler in our pleats to make sure we weren't wearing /gasp/ culottes.

In sixth grade my friends and I had a sit-in in the principal's office to protest having to wear skirts to school, by the next year the whole district decided we could not only wear pants to school but we could wear jeans. Good old progressive Seattle.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
On 10/18/2019 at 11:51 PM, xls said:

I HATE THIS !

I absolutely hate this too. The music is terrible. It sounds like a middle school band that can't keep time together and some of them are out of tune. And what's with the band walking around with the scruffy looking band leader? Does that have something to do with clean windows? How does it relate?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

The commercial with men saying they're 'on their period', checking their pants for stains, loaning each other tampons, etc. is not really a PSA, it's for a product called 'THINX'. This is some kind of panty that supposedly takes the place of a pad or tampon. The reviews I read indicate they don't really work that well, except as backup.

The fact that the audience doesn't realize these are actual commercials for a product suggests this ad campaign was not very well researched.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

The commercial with men saying they're 'on their period', checking their pants for stains, loaning each other tampons, etc. is not really a PSA, it's for a product called 'THINX'. This is some kind of panty that supposedly takes the place of a pad or tampon. The reviews I read indicate they don't really work that well, except as backup.

The fact that the audience doesn't realize these are actual commercials for a product suggests this ad campaign was not very well researched.

I looked in to them. They were crazy expensive, and if "heaviness" is an issue, they can't be used without backup protection, killing that for me.

• Love 5

I think Peloton was reading the posts complaining about their commercials because they aren't shooting them in front of windows looking out on the city from the penthouse or the mountains, in big empty rooms with the Peloton in the place of honor in front of the big windows. And they don't have the instructors yelling at the rider about how good they are doing and "come on Peloton!" The voice over talks about how it being affordable  (so it's not just for the rich). They're not as insulting as the ads of last year, I still don't want one because as I've said before pushing 70 is all the exercise I'm going to do. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

Aw, c'mon & join me in my exercise program....You put your right foot in, you put your right foot out. You put your right foot in and you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey and you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

I also run my mouth and jump to conclusions. Eye-rolling is done, but erratically.

• LOL 11
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Aw, c'mon & join me in my exercise program....You put your right foot in, you put your right foot out. You put your right foot in and you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey and you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

I also run my mouth and jump to conclusions. Eye-rolling is done, but erratically.

I do all that, and I also push my luck. 

😄

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

In sixth grade my friends and I had a sit-in in the principal's office to protest having to wear skirts to school, by the next year the whole district decided we could not only wear pants to school but we could wear jeans. Good old progressive Seattle.

My mom remembers being in elementary school and having to wear skirts to school. Which, considering she grew up in Iowa, really sucked whenever wintertime rolled around. It wasn't until she got to junior high that they started allowing girls to wear jeans to school. 

• Useful 1
29 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

My mom remembers being in elementary school and having to wear skirts to school. Which, considering she grew up in Iowa, really sucked whenever wintertime rolled around. It wasn't until she got to junior high that they started allowing girls to wear jeans to school. 

Iowa here too.  We were allowed to wear pants under our skirts in winter.   I graduated in 1963 and we still weren't allowed to wear slacks/pants/jeans. 

I still can't figure out the reasoning -- something to with propriety, I suppose. 

Or keeping kids kids. Women were wearing slacks for 50 years by then, so why didn't it trickle down to kids?

• Love 3
Just now, AuntiePam said:

Iowa here too.  We were allowed to wear pants under our skirts in winter.   I graduated in 1963 and we still weren't allowed to wear slacks/pants/jeans. 

I still can't figure out the reasoning -- something to with propriety, I suppose. 

Or keeping kids kids. Women were wearing slacks for 50 years by then, so why didn't it trickle down to kids?

Yeah, I think my mom said that about the whole "wearing pants underneath" thing, too. Still not an ideal solution, but it was something. 

She never understood the reasoning behind that, either. Your last sentence-my mom talked about how she always laughed at the shows from the '50s and early '60s showing mothers walking around in dresses all day long, because her mom was not like that at all. She wore slacks all the time. The only time my mom's family ever really dressed up, outside of her having to wear dresses to school, was if they went to see relatives for a family get-together. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I do all that, and I also push my luck. 

Gosh, I get more exercise than I thought!

53 MINUTES AGO, ANNBER03 SAID:

My mom remembers being in elementary school and having to wear skirts to school. Which, considering she grew up in Iowa, really sucked whenever wintertime rolled around. It wasn't until she got to junior high that they started allowing girls to wear jeans to school. 

Iowa here too.  We were allowed to wear pants under our skirts in winter.   I graduated in 1963 and we still weren't allowed to wear slacks/pants/jeans. 

or teaching girls from an early age to be subjugated and prepare them for life barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen and to let the men wear the pants and keep them out of decent paying jobs. Missouri girl, here.

Edited by friendperidot
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Or keeping kids kids. Women were wearing slacks for 50 years by then, so why didn't it trickle down to kids?

It certainly keeps the girls from competing on a level playing field with boys. At recess the boys played soccer, basketball, baseball, etc. We girls wanted to play too but wearing dresses we couldn't so we'd sit on the swings or monkey bars and watch the boys play. It teaches girls to be passive little cheerleaders instead of competitors or possibly even rivals.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Gosh, I get more exercise than I thought!

53 MINUTES AGO, ANNBER03 SAID:

My mom remembers being in elementary school and having to wear skirts to school. Which, considering she grew up in Iowa, really sucked whenever wintertime rolled around. It wasn't until she got to junior high that they started allowing girls to wear jeans to school. 

Iowa here too.  We were allowed to wear pants under our skirts in winter.   I graduated in 1963 and we still weren't allowed to wear slacks/pants/jeans. 

or teaching girls from an early age to be subjugated and prepare them for life barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen and to let the men wear the pants and keep them out of decent paying jobs. Missouri girl, here.

Not really. Women didn't wear slacks until around WWII. When women moved into the workforce during WWII, wearing dresses wasn't practical when crawling around welding planes and ships. 

After the war, when women were forced out of the workforce in order to make room for returning GIs, there was a strong social movement to define what was "acceptable" for women. The reemergence of women in slacks coincides with the women's liberation movement. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Not really. Women didn't wear slacks until around WWII. When women moved into the workforce during WWII, wearing dresses wasn't practical when crawling around welding planes and ships.

I'm remembering Joan Crawford and others (Katharine Hepburn) wearing slacks in movies from the 30's.  My memory ain't what it used to be though. 

My grandma always wore a dress, but that's her generation -- born in the late 1800's.  It certainly wasn't the kind of dress that Mrs. Cleaver wore, or Donna Reed.  And definitely no heels.

But men too -- old movies and TV show men coming home from work and keeping their suit jacket on.  Or their work clothes/uniforms. 

Men didn't have comfy clothes either, did they, before the 60's? 

• Love 4

I don't dislike the entire commercial for Russell Stover's boxed chocolates, except the part where the one woman comes up from behind and hugs the other woman in the kitchen. It's probably because I don't like people sneaking up on me, even if it's just a hug. She's lucky she didn't get an elbow to the ribs out of a reflexive action.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2019 at 1:26 AM, Calamity Jane said:

That commercial causes me irrational rage. Get over yourself lady. Big frick, you still waste tons of money on makeup. Good for you! GRRRRR

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Popples said:

I don't like people sneaking up on me, even if it's just a hug.

I was in the audience when Sammy Davis Jr. snuck up behind Nixon & hugged him. (I was there under duress). The look on Nixon's face when he didn't know WTF was going on was priceless. For a moment, I think everybody thought he thought he was being assaulted and where the hell was the Secret Service.

DjtsjjwVsAAX4M0.jpg

• Love 10
10 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I was born in 1963 and had to wear a skirt to an all-girls school (in the UK).

With socks or 20 denier tights (remember those?  Mending them with nail polish?).  The idea of being allowed trousers underneath makes me very jealous.

Edited by Brookside
So my post actually makes sense.
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I think Peloton was reading the posts complaining about their commercials because they aren't shooting them in front of windows looking out on the city from the penthouse or the mountains, in big empty rooms with the Peloton in the place of honor in front of the big windows. And they don't have the instructors yelling at the rider about how good they are doing and "come on Peloton!" The voice over talks about how it being affordable  (so it's not just for the rich). They're not as insulting as the ads of last year, I still don't want one because as I've said before pushing 70 is all the exercise I'm going to do. 

I'm still seeing the "come on, Peleton" pretentious commercials.

Isn't Peloton something like $60 a month? To me,  that's not really affordable to ride a bike and watch some guy on TV.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm still seeing the "come on, Peleton" pretentious commercials.

Isn't Peloton something like $60 a month? To me,  that's not really affordable to ride a bike and watch some guy on TV.

I priced it out. For the cost of a Peleton, I can have 4 years of gym membership, which includes spin classes, weight training, a pool, hot tub, sauna, and all the group-x classes I want to take. And mine is a 24 hour gym, so if I get the urge for a swim at 3 AM, I can. Of course, I don't mind actually, you know, leaving the house......

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I saw an ad the other day for some pharmaceutical.  It features a woman who is the conductor of a marching band.  Through the whole ad she is seen out in front of the band waving her arms back and forth in this robotic, completely repetitive way and stamping her feet to the music.  It looks so stupid!  lol.  I hate drug commercials.  

Also, the ad for the laundry detergent where the guy shows up for his date with the stretched out misshapen t shirt collar...he gets to the table and quickly yanks his pull-over sweater off before sitting down.  All I can think is that he's creating a huge cloud of hair and dead skin flakes all over the table!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

https://www.simplemost.com/purdue-has-new-chicken-nuggets-with-hidden-vegetables/

I'm infuriated by this commercial, which perpetuates and encourages the idea that children don't like vegetables.  Guess what, if you make simple, well-prepared vegetables from when they first start on solids, your children will eat and enjoy them.  They don't need to grow up (and continue) on a diet of crappy, over-processed, unhealthy (fast) food.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

I saw an ad the other day for some pharmaceutical.  It features a woman who is the conductor of a marching band.  Through the whole ad she is seen out in front of the band waving her arms back and forth in this robotic, completely repetitive way and stamping her feet to the music.  It looks so stupid!  lol.  I hate drug commercials.  

I think that's the Myrbetric one for overactive bladder.  As someone who was in marching band in hs and college, yes, she looks ludicrous.  

• Love 2