Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 10/6/2019 at 11:44 PM, Gramto6 said:

I am on my last nerve with the Plexaderm commercial! I am a 70 yrs old woman, divorced, two kids, 6 grands, remarried and widowed, breast cancer survivor. Yes, I have bags and sags and wrinkles and I have earned every one and am proud of it!! I would never want to look anything other than what I do. Why is our society so obsessed with looking young/younger??? Used to be age was respected and honored.

Here, here!! As a fellow old fart (also 70, with lots of bags, sags, and wrinkles) I agree with you. 

I don't know when youth worship started, but it needs to stop. 

• Love 11

OMG, that stupid GrandPad commercial. "Your gonna be a great grandma!" The exact tone of voice people use to tell a toddler "We're going out for ice cream!"

Just now, peacheslatour said:
Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

wtaf?

This is horrifying!

Oy, this one has been on my radar for a while, but I didn't post because it feels cruel to say that the actress's incredibly pronounced facial bone structure freaks me out. It isn't something she can control. And the commercial itself is very weird.

But with that being said, I fully support featuring a woman who isn't a youngster and doesn't have a "perfect" body and is so fabulously comfortable and confident.

I'm torn between admiration and feeling squicked out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
On 10/4/2019 at 11:23 AM, proserpina65 said:

Have you had one?  I wondered about it, but didn't want to spend the money in case it sucked.

I've had an Impossible Whopper. As others have mentioned the texture is different. But the taste still comes from the same things that define a regular Whopper. Bun, tomato, lettuce, mayo and a smoky taste from the grill.

51 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I've had an Impossible Whopper. As others have mentioned the texture is different. But the taste still comes from the same things that define a regular Whopper. Bun, tomato, lettuce, mayo and a smoky taste from the grill.

I've tried it a couple of times and liked it. I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan, so it doesn't bother me that they use the same equipment they cook meaty things on. What I really like is that with the Impossible Whopper there is zero chance that I'll bite down on a chunk of gristle since I have an uncontrollable gag-and-spit reaction to less than tender meatstuffs, leaving me to enjoy my fake burger with total abandon. That's all I ask.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 4

What I really like is that with the Impossible Whopper there is zero chance that I'll bite down on a chunk of gristle since I have an uncontrollable gag-and-spit reaction to less than tender meatstuffs, leaving me to enjoy my fake burger with total abandon. That's all I ask.

THIS. I am not a vegan or anything close to it but the last time I ate a steak a piece of fat got stuck in my back teeth. I could not stop gagging. That was the last steak I will ever eat unless I make it myself and cut every discernible bit of fat off.

• Love 6
On 10/8/2019 at 9:17 AM, Ohwell said:

I thought is was just me who was scared!  Gah!  I wondered who that was and thought it might be Busy Phillipps.  Her facial expression scares the shit out of me.

She makes those faces because she's a terrible actor.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I want to throw something every time I hear "like you do sometimes, Grandpa?". UGGGH!!!

That kid is a terrible actor and way too old to be having a Three Little Pigs birthday party.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, Colleenna said:

The Impossible Burger™ is not yet widely available in stores. Impossible Foods has a web site where you can search for grocery stores that carry it. It's not a pre-formed patty....it actually looks like ground beef, so you can make your patty as large as you want. Or use it for meatloaf. 

Sorry, no.  My mom's meatloaf is the best in the universe, imo, and no fake meat will ever come close.

6 hours ago, Haleth said:

That kid is a terrible actor and way too old to be having a Three Little Pigs birthday party.

I thought it was the grandpa's party, but I'll confess to not paying that much attention.

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 1:59 PM, janie jones said:

My friends had Impossible Burgers at a barbecue recently.  The flavor was so-so, but I thought the texture was fishlike.  It was off-putting.

Ewww, sounds nasty.  I hate fish for many reasons, and texture is one of them.

• Love 1
On 10/1/2019 at 9:10 PM, Aryanna said:

Domino's is gross.

Maybe you just haven't tried them lately. Remember their campaign from a few years ago? The message of which was, to paraphrase but not by a lot, "We're not as shitty as we used to be!" How could that not inspire confidence? 

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Yep.  I feel a bit nauseated. 

And I love oatmeal. 

I'm hating the one for a cell plan (I think) where everyone's yelling "Yeah!", ending with a gal working a hula hoop. 

There are some commercials (can't remember specifics) and a TV Show Promo where I have to close my eyes because they make me feel ill.  I don't know how to describe it (and I can't provide examples because I close my eyes) but it will show a street scene, for example, then the scene will spin fast and hard to show something else - almost like you're going underground and coming back up again.  It sucks.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, funky-rat said:

There are some commercials (can't remember specifics) and a TV Show Promo where I have to close my eyes because they make me feel ill.  I don't know how to describe it (and I can't provide examples because I close my eyes) but it will show a street scene, for example, then the scene will spin fast and hard to show something else - almost like you're going underground and coming back up again.  It sucks.

Sounds like a form of vertigo.

• Love 1

Progressive Insurance commercials are hit and miss (no pun intended). I hate the one where the rival insurance guy is on a date with Flo's sister. She is so rude and nasty to him. I don't know why they think pulling an Eddie Murphy (Flo playing all her relatives) is a good idea or that we need to see the sister character ever again. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Progressive Insurance commercials are hit and miss (no pun intended). I hate the one where the rival insurance guy is on a date with Flo's sister. She is so rude and nasty to him. I don't know why they think pulling an Eddie Murphy (Flo playing all her relatives) is a good idea or that we need to see the sister character ever again. 

I hate that one, too.  Sure, it's creepy that he has a picture of Flo on his phone. But, she was ignoring him well before that point.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I hate that one, too.  Sure, it's creepy that he has a picture of Flo on his phone. But, she was ignoring him well before that point.

It was just a promo shot of Flo. It’s not like he got the picture by hiding in the bushes outside her house. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

It was just a promo shot of Flo. It’s not like he got the picture by hiding in the bushes outside her house. 

I worked with someone who had a picture of Jeri Ryan in a frame on his desk.  It was out of a magazine and it was still creepy.

12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I worked with someone who had a picture of Jeri Ryan in a frame on his desk.  It was out of a magazine and it was still creepy.

We got a promotional brochure for some company at work that had smallish headshot-type photos of their team members. One of the women had used a picture of Jennifer Aniston. We thought it was weird and hilarious.

What are the odds that the seemingly mild-mannered guy on the date with Flo's sister would turn out to be obsessed with Progressive and Flo? I'm smelling a serial killer...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

So, you're saying I shouldn't have that framed picture of Chris Pratt on my nightstand? haha

• LOL 7
7 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

So, you're saying I shouldn't have that framed picture of Chris Pratt on my nightstand? haha

Maybe just put it away if you invite a date over for "coffee."  Or, if Chris Pratt's phone dies when his car breaks down right in front of your place and he needs to use your phone.

• LOL 9
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm 70 years old. In high school, I took computer programming. We had a nearly room-sized Burroughs computer that ran off of punched cards (and the only air-conditioned classroom in Miami). My first job was as a keypunch operator and since then, except for about 4 years when I was a travel agent, I've been in some form of data processing.  I don't think I'm the only one who's had a life in technology. Those commercials that portray we geezers as technological idiots are actually referencing our parents - I remember writing a list of steps for my mom to take to program her VCR.  Those commercials apply to people, at best, in their 80s and older.

And...guess what...we ladies don't wear black dresses with lace collars unless we're RBG and it's a robe. And we don't usually wear our hair in buns. I think the commercial creators forget that we're the Woodstock generation.  We're old hippies and some of us STILL wear tie-dye. John Lennon would have been 79 last week.

It's one of the reasons (probably the only one) I like the Consumer Cellular ads - they're old people, but they don't really act like the stereotypical commercial seniors.

You rock, PW!

P.S. I took key punch in high school.  For years thereafter, I had a key punch card in my wallet that said "Live each day as if it were your last."

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I actually just figured the guy was looking at the Progressive website or app. 

• Love 7

Will this one ever go away? From the adult throwing up her hands in disgust at having her phone taken away to the little moppet scowling at her grandfather - sure, the phones are the only problem, and these charming people will have a wonderfully meaningful visit with the grandparents as soon as they're device-free.

• Love 3

I’ll go against the grain. I really like the Impossible Burger. There is a good restaurant near me that serves it, along with an Impossible Meatloaf. Both are very good. I’m not a vegan or vegetarian but I do try to limit red meat consumption. This is a decent alternative when I feel like having a burger.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:51 PM, friendperidot said:

Dairy Queen has a chicken and waffles thing going now. I want to smack the woman upside the head every time I hear her say, "my man!" And the daughter is pretty annoying too. I don't mind the husband's "my lady." But the wife's response just raises my hackles. I think it's the way she says it.

Shauna Mulwae-Tweep! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

You rock, PW!

P.S. I took key punch in high school.  For years thereafter, I had a key punch card in my wallet that said "Live each day as if it were your last."

For years, I carried 96-column punch cards in my purse (ironically enough, they were 1/3 the size of the 80 column cards.) I found them useful for making notes. 

• Love 3
On 10/10/2019 at 2:22 AM, catlover79 said:

I want to throw something every time I hear "like you do sometimes, Grandpa?". UGGGH!!!

Every time I hear that kid say that (I thought it was another commercial,  tho), I imagine the father yelling "WhyYouDirtyLittle!" and throttling the kid, like Homer Simpson choking Bart. 😃

On 10/10/2019 at 7:15 AM, Haleth said:

I think I mentioned this in the past, but the whole concept makes little sense. Are we sppsd to cheer that grandpa wolf is able to eat the three little pigs? 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

I think I mentioned this in the past, but the whole concept makes little sense. Are we sppsd to cheer that grandpa wolf is able to eat the three little pigs? 

To say nothing of those idiotic wolf ears they're all wearing.

I attribute ads like this to millennial-age ad pitchmen who are vaguely familiar with the name 'Three Little Pigs', but who haven't bothered to read the story (or even watch the old Disney cartoon) and don't even understand that the story is pro-pig, not pro-wolf. Show us grandpa wolf-even with the COPD meds they're shilling-successfully blowing down the third pig's brick house!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 10/13/2019 at 10:04 AM, Ashforth said:

What are the odds that the seemingly mild-mannered guy on the date with Flo's sister would turn out to be obsessed with Progressive and Flo? I'm smelling a serial killer...

I saw this commercial last night and it occurred to me that he might be one of those two guys from the competing insurance company that are always trying to get Progressive's secrets or something.  Is he supposed to be one of those guys?

Edited by janie jones
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I saw this commercial last night and it occurred to me that he might be one of those two guys from the competing insurance company that are always trying to get Progressive's secrets or something.  Is he supposed to be one of those guys?

I think you're right. Good catch.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

Definitely.  I immediately recognized him. 

• Love 7

Just saw a commercial for the WW2 movie “midway”. Why is it in every war (and sometimes astronaut) movie commercial they need to include a scene of woman saying “come back to me” to a soldier/astronaut as he heads off to war/space? It’s getting old seeing the same played out scene. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, janie jones said:

Yes, he's one of those two guys who's in a bunch of commercials trying to get the name your price tool, which he references in this one: "What am I into? Mostly Progressive's Name Your Price tool ... Flo has it, I want it, it's a whole thing."  He has a picture of the tool, which is held by Flo, more than he has a picture of Flo.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

It took me a while to figure out that the guy Janice was dating was the Other Insurance Company guy.  I don't hate the Flo commercials like some do and I think Stephanie Courtney is very talented to be playing all the family characters.  The thing that bugs me about this commercial is how rude Janice is to OIC guy.  If she thinks he's boring why did she agree to go on a date?  He's trying to be nice... unless he's trying to get to Flo through her sister. 😲

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It took me a while to figure out that the guy Janice was dating was the Other Insurance Company guy.  I don't hate the Flo commercials like some do and I think Stephanie Courtney is very talented to be playing all the family characters.  The thing that bugs me about this commercial is how rude Janice is to OIC guy.  If she thinks he's boring why did she agree to go on a date?  He's trying to be nice... unless he's trying to get to Flo through her sister. 😲

This commercial has levels of intrigue I never suspected!

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not annoyed by the Mayhem Cat commercial, but some cat advocate group is pissed because people won't adopt cats now that they're depicted as destructive. Oh, puh-leeze.

I imagine that anyone who'd avoid taking in a cat JUST because they saw the Mayhem Cat Commercial would   more likely drown a cat after after the first furball than the average person. IOW this ad may actually be sparing cats from getting adopted by antsy if not abusive humans.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not annoyed by the Mayhem Cat commercial, but some cat advocate group is pissed because people won't adopt cats now that they're depicted as destructive. Oh, puh-leeze.

Cats are destructive.  And I say that as an unapologetic cat-lover.  I think most people realize that all those mayhem commercials are exaggerated. If you're getting life advice from any form of TV, you probably have issues anyway.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I think Janice always acts self-absorbed and rude. I'm not sure if he knew Janice is Flo's sister or not. He seemed taken aback to see her there.

• Love 3

I don't even know what the commercial is for but I hate the one with the husband and wife whispering free phone football over and over and over and over to each other. HATE IT!!! Their whispery voices are soooooo annoying.

• Love 3