Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I've lost over 30 lbs, it took me 2 years. I didn't use weight watchers, I still eat pretty much anything I want, I just eat less of it. It took me a while to get used to eating less, but it took me a while to get used to eating more of stuff too. I didn't put that 30 lbs on all at once, it took me a long time, so it doesn't bother me that I took it off slowly. I bought a new belt a year ago, had to, all my jeans were falling off. When I bought the belt, I fastened it in the first, loosest notch, I've been in the second notch for several months now and this week I went to the third notch, it's not exactly comfortable there, but I can put it there. I just changed my eating, smaller portions, I don't fry much, I use the Forman Grill quite a bit, I eat more salads and try to incorporate more vegetables, but I still eat candy, made a dump cake in the slow cooker today. I guess if you need a machine to yell at you to exercise, you might need Weight Watchers and Nutrisystems, etc. to tell you how to eat, but I didn't find it necessary. And I hate all of those ads. George Forman is kind of cute, but I bought the grill after researching on my own. They've been available a very long time now. I use a slow cooker a lot too and I'm thinking about getting an air fryer and an Instant Pot too. Haven't decided yet, but don't see a lot of ads for those, I am still researching, reading reviews and thinking. Oh, and I do have the Red Copper Flipwich, I still like it.

• Love 5

@friendperidot, we got an air fryer a couple months ago.  It is a Philips brand, large capacity and it works like a dream!  Clean-up is minimal.  So far we have had seasoned wedge fries and crinkle-cut fries, they come out perfect and crispy and fluffy inside.  For the wedge fries you don't even add a drop of oil.  We researched this one, and chose it finally because it is big enough to do a whole chicken.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm puzzled by the latest Symbicort ad. This Grandpa who huffs and puffs is wearing a shirt of a less lurid chartreuse than the first two Grandpas, yet the wolf in the cartoon is still in that eye-vibrating green.  At least the cartoon at the end shows wolves in a non-predatory, non-nasty, almost cute light.

I always hated cartoons that showed certain animals in a bad light. Like the ones where the mice (who you really DON'T want in your home) are all cute & lovable and the cat (who you DO want) is a slavering, mean, ugly predator.

It annoys me that they keep using the same exact script in each commercial, but just change the actors.  

• Love 1

Cosentyx has come up with an even more annoying commercial, in my opinion.  It starts out with a woman coming down the stairs, saying, "Psoriatic arthritis tries to get in my way - watch me" and then she goes into the kitchen to make sandwiches.  SANDWICHES.  If you're in so much pain you can't even put a piece of cheese on a piece of bread, you need to go to the ER.  I know this is a painful condition - my friend has it - but please.  The woman looks so snarky, as if to say, "I'm so healthy I can make a sandwich, not like those OTHER losers with psoriatic arthritis!"

Then, later on in the commercial, one of the other characters smirks at the camera and asks, "Do you think I'd miss the chance to show them how it's done?"  Ugh, big-ego lady, get over yourself already.  

One gets the idea that Cosentyx not only helps your arthritis, but it gives you an attitude as well.  I just want to slap all of them.

Oh, and all the people who mentioned the commercial that tries to guilt people for having to rush to the bathroom all the time (and disappoint their loved ones)...you're right, it's a horrible way to sell anything, especially medicine.  All of us who are familiar with that sprint to public bathrooms feel bad enough without having a drug company guilt-trip us.

• Love 2

As a long-time Verizon customer, let me say to Verizon: Rotate your freakin' ads!  There have been what, four or five ads with Thomas Middleditch -- change 'em up once in awhile!  Also, if you can afford to play those ads on every channel, five or six times in a 15-minute period -- then why can't you afford to lower my bill?  Tell me that!  Take some of that ad money and give your customers a break! 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, DeaconBlues said:

The Navy Federal Credit Union "zip line" commercial.  https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ARNQ/navy-federal-credit-union-app-zip-line 

What's up with the main protagonist being so #%@#$ smug and self-satisfied?  Who talks like that, with their nose up in their air and a holier-than-though shit-eating grin on their face?  What an unlikable woman.

navyfed.PNG

Well, I am going to call this one a "bitch" because that's just what she is for pushing that woman on the zipline when the woman clearly was uncomfortable going through with it.   If I were that woman, when I got on my feet I'd punch her lights out.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, DeaconBlues said:

The Navy Federal Credit Union "zip line" commercial.  https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ARNQ/navy-federal-credit-union-app-zip-line 

What's up with the main protagonist being so #%@#$ smug and self-satisfied?  Who talks like that, with their nose up in their air and a holier-than-though shit-eating grin on their face?  What an unlikable woman.

navyfed.PNG

The new neighbor who just moved in a few houses down, for one. I want to punch her and the woman in this commercial. 

• Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 7:54 PM, smittykins said:

I remember reading an article claiming that it tasted like ass.

Is that intended to help you be satisfied with the portions, or to make you more likely to cheat and have to use the product longer to get the results you want?

On 1/20/2018 at 11:34 PM, SmithW6079 said:

All. The. Fucking. Tax. Preparation. Commercials.

So have you seen the one for Turbo Tax with the fisherman impaled with a swordfish?  W.T.F. Turbo Tax?  It's not cute, it's not funny--it's horrifying and put me in mind of how Steve Irwin died.  Yeah, that makes me want to use your tax service.  Except, no.  Assholes.

• Love 2

Cosentyx has come up with an even more annoying commercial, in my opinion.  It starts out with a woman coming down the stairs, saying, "Psoriatic arthritis tries to get in my way - watch me" and then she goes into the kitchen to make sandwiches.  SANDWICHES.  If you're in so much pain you can't even put a piece of cheese on a piece of bread, you need to go to the ER.  I know this is a painful condition - my friend has it - but please.  The woman looks so snarky, as if to say, "I'm so healthy I can make a sandwich, not like those OTHER losers with psoriatic arthritis!"

I know the genie is out of the bottle now, but I really wish drug companies didn't advertise on TV because sometimes I feel like that's all I ever see.

So have you seen the one for Turbo Tax with the fisherman impaled with a swordfish?

It makes me think of that Jerry Lewis movie "Hook, Line and Sinker" ... which was a real stinker.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Is that intended to help you be satisfied with the portions, or to make you more likely to cheat and have to use the product longer to get the results you want?

I'm pretty sure that's their MO--once you stop eating their prepackaged "food" and go back to the real stuff, you gain the weight back, forcing you to come crawling back.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, Drogo said:

Most annoyed right now by the Chobani "Not Greek!" yogurt commercials that are everywhere now.  Sorry, but this doesn't even look like a real product you could buy in a supermarket; the name is so generic and the packaging is remniscent of a "Yum Cola" can or "Sugar O's" box in the background of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

chobani_smooth_yogurt.jpggreatestamericanherothehitcar_0700_4298.enhanced-buzz-19693-1374866605-25.jpg?do

Ha! I thought those were all photos of fake products until I looked closer at the first.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

Because fuck Brad.

Maybe she could get together with the Quiznos mechaphile?

1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

I have and I hate it. Or the one with the guy who fell off the cruise ship and no one can be bothered to rescue him. It's not edgy, TT, it's mean and stupid.

Speaking of which, I saw a new installment in that brokerage's wealth/class envy ad campaign. This one features a woman you know who takes fabulous selfies and pictures of sunsets. Oh yeah, and she's a filthy rotten rich bitch. *rolls eyes*

On a related note, there's a new Chevy ad I was only-half watching with the douchebag focus group guy opening the door to one of their crappy cars and relatives of the people being tested came pouring out like some sort of clown car. Because it's a "family van", I guess.

• Love 1
On 1/21/2018 at 0:00 AM, Drogo said:

The Senokot commercial where Wife is informing Husband of her chronic constipation... is that serious or tongue in cheek?

I posted about this one a while back, I think--the way they talk to each other is so weird! Is it the one where the husband reads the label like a little kid who's just learned how?

Edited by TattleTeeny
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I have and I hate it. Or the one with the guy who fell off the cruise ship and no one can be bothered to rescue him. It's not edgy, TT, it's mean and stupid.

I hate that one. It's not clever or funny.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

So have you seen the one for Turbo Tax with the fisherman impaled with a swordfish?  W.T.F. Turbo Tax?  It's not cute, it's not funny--it's horrifying and put me in mind of how Steve Irwin died.  Yeah, that makes me want to use your tax service.  Except, no.  Assholes.

Not to mention the repeated annoying screeching coming from the swordfish.

On 1/21/2018 at 7:08 PM, AuntiePam said:

As a long-time Verizon customer, let me say to Verizon: Rotate your freakin' ads!  There have been what, four or five ads with Thomas Middleditch -- change 'em up once in awhile!  Also, if you can afford to play those ads on every channel, five or six times in a 15-minute period -- then why can't you afford to lower my bill?  Tell me that!  Take some of that ad money and give your customers a break! 

Is that the kid with the curly hair and the lisp? If I weren’t already a VZ customer,  i would never sign up for it, just because of these ads. 

Eta: ok, not the kid, the really annoying guy.  So do we know who the annoying kid is?

Edited by janeta
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I posted about this one a while back, I think--the way they talk to each other is so weird! Is it the one where the husband reads the label like a little kid who's just learned how?

It bothers me more that she has to tell him. It shouldn't be dinner conversation, sure, but they're married and they live in the same house.. Did he not already possess this information?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, janeta said:

Is that the kid with the curly hair and the lisp? If I weren’t already a VZ customer,  i would never sign up for it, just because of these ads. 

Eta: ok, not the kid, the really annoying guy.  So do we know who the annoying kid is?

I haven't seen an ad with a curly-haired kid with a lisp, but I'll bet it's Gaten Matarozo -- he's one of the kids on Stranger Things. 

2 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I haven't seen an ad with a curly-haired kid with a lisp, but I'll bet it's Gaten Matarozo -- he's one of the kids on Stranger Things. 

They are FIOS ads (which is also VZ, i think?)  i think Stranger Things may be in my netflix queue...

6 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

It bothers me more that she has to tell him. It shouldn't be dinner conversation, sure, but they're married and they live in the same house.. Did he not already possess this information?

Yeah, that's the weird part. He's never noticed his wife having issues? She's never said she's constipated? He's never seen that product before in the bathroom or something similar to it?  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, janeta said:

i think Stranger Things may be in my netflix queue...

It's not bad (far from perfect) but has a nice 80s nostalgia to it and the child actors (including Gaten Matarazo) are actually great and really likeable. 

One the topic of commercials, Apple comes through again with their new #selfies commercial with a variety of people mugging for self portraits while a Muhammad Ali monologue about being "the greatest" plays in the background.  Ali gets a pass -- it was his shtick -- but I seem to remember a long time ago when unrepentant vanity and self-absorption was actually frowned upon.  It's one thing to have a positive self-image and not be hung up on negative feelings about the way you look...it's another thing entirely to be so vain that you're constantly plastering your selfie on every social media platform 20 times a day to show the world how "great" you are.  I guess this is the new age, but it feels so wrong.

• Love 1
On 2018-01-19 at 9:51 PM, Pracarual said:

The ad that gives me bile is the Phil Nickleson ad with his fake daughter fake drawing fake pictures of him while narrating a fake story about her fake dad and he's making pancakes and acting (badly) like she's his kid. Why do this ridiculous scenario? Just sell the medicine! 

Oh and can anyone explain to me why all of a sudden every couple in every ad is biracial? It's like a memo went out "White Dad, Black Mom in 2018." The alternate reality presented in ad land is so out of sync with the people they are targeting it's insulting. Like me, for example: I don't care who marries whom but my circle is boringly mundane: same races and opposite sexes. 

As i’ve said before, I really hate ads that have these socially conscious elements.  I’m conflicted because i’m neither racist nor homophobic.  I have literally zero concern with who marries or gets nasty with whom and a persons race or sexual prefs have no impact on my interactions with them at all.  But ads that are selling a thing and feature biracial or gay couples or something like the iPad ad that is obviously running with the gender-neutral kid really irk me.  First it feels manipulative and calculated, and I think secondly is what pracarual gets at - this implication that these are things we’re all just experiencing every day and it’s just totally bland and normal.  Like “well we’re selling stuff to America and we know Americans are gay and biracial so let’s do that!”  I mean I know that’s what we’re shooting for in the long run but to me right now it just doesn’t work...

5 hours ago, DeaconBlues said:

It's not bad (far from perfect) but has a nice 80s nostalgia to it and the child actors (including Gaten Matarazo) are actually great and really likeable. 

One the topic of commercials, Apple comes through again with their new #selfies commercial with a variety of people mugging for self portraits while a Muhammad Ali monologue about being "the greatest" plays in the background.  Ali gets a pass -- it was his shtick -- but I seem to remember a long time ago when unrepentant vanity and self-absorption was actually frowned upon.  It's one thing to have a positive self-image and not be hung up on negative feelings about the way you look...it's another thing entirely to be so vain that you're constantly plastering your selfie on every social media platform 20 times a day to show the world how "great" you are.  I guess this is the new age, but it feels so wrong.

IKR?? I've lost count of the times i've been sitting in traffic at a red light, watching another driver twisting and turning and posing for that *just right* selfie that they absolutely HAVE to take RIGHT THEN--!  OMG.   wtf?

• Love 3

Yes, TurboTax, nothing makes me flock to a product quite like thoughts of gruesome chest wounds, adultery, and a man drowning while the douchebags who could rescue him chitchat on the deck above. High-larious!

e-trades, it may surprise you to learn that not everyone aspires to being wealthy. If I'm going to "get even" with the rich fucks in your commercials, it would be due to how obnoxious some of them are, not their bank accounts. (Boat guy rubs me the wrong way.)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

What does a fisherman impaled with a swordfish have to do with filing income tax? There are so few innovative, creative commercials these days. Where's Don Draper when you need him? Lol.

Doing tax prep commercials. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

As i’ve said before, I really hate ads that have these socially conscious elements.  I’m conflicted because i’m neither racist nor homophobic.

One problem with highlighting a group is that it may tick off some other group caused to think "what about us?" They also don't always get it right; there have been some pretty insulting ads aimed at African-Americans over the years.

As i’ve said before, I really hate ads that have these socially conscious elements.  I’m conflicted because i’m neither racist nor homophobic.  I have literally zero concern with who marries or gets nasty with whom and a persons race or sexual prefs have no impact on my interactions with them at all.  But ads that are selling a thing and feature biracial or gay couples or something like the iPad ad that is obviously running with the gender-neutral kid really irk me.  First it feels manipulative and calculated, and I think secondly is what pracarual gets at - this implication that these are things we’re all just experiencing every day and it’s just totally bland and normal.  Like “well we’re selling stuff to America and we know Americans are gay and biracial so let’s do that!”  I mean I know that’s what we’re shooting for in the long run but to me right now it just doesn’t work...

I'm not sure I understand--what should happen in the meantime before this "long run" arrives? Should white and hetero remain the default even though a business wants to sell its service or product to as many people as possible? I'm not saying it's not manipulative and calculated--maybe it is. Probably is, but so is all advertising, regardless of what combination of marrieds is hawking the housewares. And maybe the people in the ad you see are simply the best actors for the job (is that naive? Haha!).

I don't know what it says about me but I always just saw an "ordinary" girl in the "what's a computer" commercial.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Sorry and with all due respect,  i'm not sure what you're referring to in your response? 

Jon Hamm, aka Don Draper, is actually appearing in a series of tax preparation commercials for H&R Block.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

When Dh saw this ad, he said she should just tell him it makes you poop.  They live in the same house.  No need for a drawn out explanation.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, DeaconBlues said:

I am shocked, SHOCKED, that the Ali family is allowing this.  They are legendary with how infrequently they allow his image to be used for anything.  The only thing I can think is that someone else owns the rights to that recording.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

Jon Hamm, aka Don Draper, is actually appearing in a series of tax preparation commercials for H&R Block.

I didn't know that! Geesh, sounds like he's a bit desperate for acting roles. Or H&R Block paid him a lot money.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I didn't know that! Geesh, sounds like he's a bit desperate for acting roles. Or H&R Block paid him a lot money.

I doubt Jon Hamm is desperate for acting jobs. It's well known that celebrities on commercials get paid well for very little work.

• Love 2
Just now, chessiegal said:

I doubt Jon Hamm is desperate for acting jobs. It's well known that celebrities on commercials get paid well for very little work.

I love looking at Jon Hamm.....i wouldn't care if he was doing a commercial for Depends!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm not sure I understand--what should happen in the meantime before this "long run" arrives? Should white and hetero remain the default even though a business wants to sell its service or product to as many people as possible? I'm not saying it's not manipulative and calculated--maybe it is. Probably is, but so is all advertising, regardless of what combination of marrieds is hawking the housewares. And maybe the people in the ad you see are simply the best actors for the job (is that naive? Haha!).

I don't know what it says about me but I always just saw an "ordinary" girl in the "what's a computer" commercial.

I agree. As someone who is part of an interracial family, I'm happy to see folks on TV who reflect our family makeup. More importantly, I'm happy that my 8-year-old sees these families. I'm sure gay couples/families feel the same. And let's be honest - these types of families are still a blip in the commercial landscape, which is why you even notice. The vast majority of TV families are still straight and one shade, whatever that shade may be. 

I also think that we all consider ourselves to be normal and maybe a little bland. We need to buy cereal and paper towels just like anyone else. *shrug*

Changing gears, I've seen that really annoying insurance commercial with the girl screaming at her dad to take her to her friend's house while he's sweating and trying to mow the lawn. The he rewards her with a pool. What?! It's funny because one of my favorite commercials right now is from the same campaign, It's the one where the kid is in Italy having a bit of a rough time and he ends up sketching that really beautiful ceiling and sending it to his parents. I really like the music and the whole thing. 

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 4

The new Gushers commercials.  Maybe they took some tips from the Skittles pox, because nothing says "yum" like swallowing liquid soap, or squid ink. 

Apparently that stuff gushes?  Gross.  This is like watching people try to eat the laundry pods.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Thank you for responding to this in a much more articulate and kinder way than I could have.  

• Love 1