Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Marie shows up on The Talk on occasion. She looks the same to me. (Disclaimer: I don't watch it, but it's on the TV at the gym).

Thanks for the disclaimer ChessieGal !! Lol. I'd ask the gym owners for a discount on my membership just for having to watch "The Talk"!!

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Thanks for the disclaimer ChessieGal !! Lol. I'd ask the gym owners for a discount on my membership just for having to watch "The Talk"!!

Hah! I could always just look away, but you know what they say about a train wreck. ;-}

• Love 2

From a website posted in 2002

Quote:

Head, for one, was anxious to resolve the caffeinated cliffhanger. Although the British actor is now starring as Rupert Giles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, he still gets recognized from playing Michael in the commercials. "The last installment aired about a year ago," he relates, "and I fear it will be the last time we delve into these people's lives. My character had just met her ex-husband (played by Sharon Maughan's real-life spouse, Trevor Eve), which took our storyline into a new area. Trevor naturally shared his own chemistry with Sharon, so it was really easy for me to play feeling awkward and uncomfortable. We thought we were in for a feud. They had at least three more episodes planned. We were supposed to shoot two, and suddenly we didn't."

Quote:

The Taster's Choice couple was kept apart longer than General Hospital's Luke and Laura--with about as many entanglements. Laughs Head, "It started with me loaning her a jar of Taster's Choice for a dinner party. When she returned it, I could not invite her in because I had someone in my living room. Then, I went to apologize, but this guy opened the door. He turned out to be her brother." It got more complicated when her son joined the mix. "He said, 'Oh, I heard about you.' And I said, 'I haven't heard about you!' He tells his father, 'Mom's got a new boyfriend.' And the ex says, 'Oh, really. We'll see about that!' There were some wonderfully tense moments. Very Noel Coward-ish." Indeed.

So I guess that's where it ended. Hm.

• Love 7

Thanks all, I had forgotten those Taster's Choice ads. But they were rather fun, more fun than obnoxious like so many ads today. I know there's a thought that people remember the names of the product in bad commercials better than they remember the names of the products in clever commercials and then when it's time for purchase, they go with the name they remember. Not me, I remember the names in the bad commercials and avoid those products. I don't know that I then buy the products from the clever commercials, I'm pretty set in my ways and my buying habits. Maybe if it's a new product or if I'm unhappy with my old one.

It's one thing if it's toothpaste and quite another if it's a car. My last 2 cars were Chevy's and I'm not opposed to buying another one, I'm open to others, but I will be doing research about different cars first, the ads play little importance in that purchase decision, but I will not be getting a car from the last dealer I bought from and it's totally because of his obnoxious daughter, and his so cute you want to barf grandchildren singing "Jesus Loves Me." There are about 200 other dealerships in the area that don't do that, surely I can find a car I like, at the price I want to pay, from one of them.

And I might go back with Liberty Mutual Insurance, not for the ads, but because I usually had good response, the cost was better for me. I will not get insurance from The General, again not because of their ads, which I hate the brat screeching, "we getting married!" but because of their poor performance. I don't know, since I don't have money for a car or insurance right now it's moot.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Local car dealerships that use their kids in the commercials are the worst.  I think that happens everywhere and I hate it. 

There's one here that does it--Randy Marion Chevrolet. I haven't seen a commercial in a while, but I have a wonderful button on my TiVo that lets me skip the commercials in one fast chunk.

• Love 2

My closest two Honda dealerships are 16 & 17 miles away  - one to the east and one to the north. I went to the north one back '07, because I'd bought my '93 Civic there. I wanted to look at Civics and Fits ... and the salesman kept showing me Accords.  I rebelled and went to the east one, where I bought my current Fit.  Since then, I've discovered the service dept. in the north one is SO much better than the one to the east, so I'm back there.  I'm not sure I'll get another car - this one's almost 11 years old and has fewer than 80,000 miles on it and is still running great. By the time I need a new car, I'll probably be too old & infirm to drive, so my next car will be the bus or Uber.

Neither of the two Honda dealers use their kids in their ads, knock on wood.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

There's one here that does it--Randy Marion Chevrolet. I haven't seen a commercial in a while, but I have a wonderful button on my TiVo that lets me skip the commercials in one fast chunk.

I know, they're on all the time. I assume it's Randy's wife and daughters in the commercials.  The other one down here I see all the time is for Keffer Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep.  The general manager - disclaimer: my former boss is a friend of his, and I bought my Durango there - usually does commercials with one of the Carolina Panther players, but in a few ads, they have featured one of his daughters and the player's son.  I would always tell my boss "Tell Joe to cut down to 6 Red Bulls before he shoots those commercials!"

• Love 1

Well, our local furniture store, Darby's, has featured KatyBeth Darby since she was about four years old.  It has been fun watching her grow up, and she is now an adult.  In the most recent commercials, a new child gives the tag line. 

1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Gross.

OH HELL no!  I only read the description and NOT GONNA DO IT.  Eww.

23 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

He's a Broadway star, and a star of Stranger Things.

Upon doing some research I just discovered that.  However that doesn't change my mind ...he's got the most annoying voice ever.

The Nationwide insurance commercial with Tori Kelly warbling about the little guy behind the wheel has me fumbling for the remote as soon as I hear the guitar. The lyrics are terrible and so are the vignettes. I never thought I'd feel this way, but it's a tremendous relief to see Peyton Manning and Brad Paisley pop up. At least they're trying to be funny instead of being painfully earnest about insurance.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't find his voice annoying. He just has a speech impediment. I hope he's working with speech therapists because that shit absolutely will not fly as an adult.

Had I known it was an impediment I wouldn't have said anything.  I just thought it was his voice to tell the truth.

• Love 1

The annoying voice person I can't stand is the woman from the Bathfitters commercial. She has this really annoying accent that sounds like it's trying to be upper class ("all those weeks without our bahthroom...ahnd the messss....")

She reminds me of that scene in "Trading Places" where Dan Aykroyd goes back to the snobby country club and one of the debutantes is saying, "Ahnd she stepped on the bahhllllll."

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:09 PM, BabyVegas said:

Ok, I've been waffling back and forth on whether to post this one, but it's been bugging me for days. Usually I like Subaru's ads, or at least I don't hate them. But I felt like their latest Outback ad was kind of tasteless, for lack of a better word. In the ad, there's a couple evacuating their house from something. The grab a bag, throw it in the car, realize they have more room, and start going back for useless crap, like an exercise ball. When people flee and they can only take very little with them it's not because their car won't fit more, it's because there is no time. I get that the point they're trying to make is that the car is roomy, but there are plenty of other ways to make almost that exact commercial without setting it as an emergency. Perhaps I'm overreacting a little bit because of the recent events in Hawaii, but, at least for me, this felt like a major misstep for Subaru.

ETA: I feel like I should clarify - the reason it annoys me is that I feel like the commercial is implying "if you'd bought a Subaru, you wouldn't have lost all those family photos and other still-meaningful non-essentials" which is the part that I think is tasteless.

If it's the commercial with a giant asteroid about to hit earth, it's actually a Volkswagen ad, not a Subaru ad. But yeah, lack of time is often the issue (depending on how much warning there is), rather than space.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't find his voice annoying. He just has a speech impediment. I hope he's working with speech therapists because that shit absolutely will not fly as an adult.

It's a rare medical condition causing difficulty with bones, including teeth -- cleidocranial dysplasia.  Gaten was on Ridiculousness awhile back and showed what you can do if you're born without collar bones, like he was  He's got a great attitude about it.  He didn't have any teeth in the first season of Stranger Things.  Then he had surgery -- his teeth were "pulled down" -- so he had teeth in the second season. 

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Frankly, I feel so damned old watching that commercial because I cannot understand what ANY of those kids is saying.  It needs captioning for the 'get off my lawn generation'.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

The Nationwide insurance commercial with Tori Kelly warbling about the little guy behind the wheel has me fumbling for the remote as soon as I hear the guitar. The lyrics are terrible and so are the vignettes. I never thought I'd feel this way, but it's a tremendous relief to see Peyton Manning and Brad Paisley pop up. At least they're trying to be funny instead of being painfully earnest about insurance.

I don’t like any of The Nationwide commercials with musicians. I don’t know why, but there’s something that screams “sellout” when I see them. It started with the Rachel Platten commercial. 

7 hours ago, MichelleAK said:

If it's the commercial with a giant asteroid about to hit earth, it's actually a Volkswagen ad, not a Subaru ad.

Huh, I have no idea how I got those two confused. But now I'm unconflicted about hating the commercial because I have a grudge against VW. (I used to own one of their cars.) Either way, that commercial sucks.

2 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I don’t like any of The Nationwide commercials with musicians. I don’t know why, but there’s something that screams “sellout” when I see them. It started with the Rachel Platten commercial. 

The Peyton Manning ones are the ones that make me want to scream. I mean, I understand the man has gotta do something with his days now that he's retired, but must they show those commercials every ten minutes?!

Edited by BabyVegas
  • Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, wiseguy182 said:

"The 'I love Brad'" lady is another one. "You looooved Brad." Is she suggesting that there was some sort of sexual relationship with the owner and Brad? It certainly sounds like it. Ew! 

What I never understood was if she LOOOOVED Brad so much and "nothing could replace BRAD",  then why is she breaking into her happy dance when she gets her check for a replacement for Brad?

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 0:39 PM, peacheslatour said:

The one I really can't stand is the one where they are fishing and the "stupid" city girl is wearing six inch heels and bitching about sushi and then the country girl comes along and hooks her out of the boat and into the water. Nice people you've got the Farmers Only, assault, kidnapping and leaving a person stranded in the boonies notwithstanding.

Yes - like "country gals" are so much better because they only own farm clothes?  Where the "city gal" dressed for a DATE, not knowing the guy was taking her fishing.  There's no need to put down other people to promote your dating site.  And let's assume that a lot of women own both dresses and heels AND jeans and flannel shirts, and will wear what's appropriate to the occasion. 

• Love 9
On 1/17/2018 at 5:18 PM, chenoa333 said:

And that commercial is many many years old. What does Marie REALLY look like these days (without the Spanx and botox and wig and 4 lbs. of make up) ? She has to be in her 60's by now!

She was on The View last week shilling her new line of skin care products.  She looks exactly the same... with the spanx and botox and wig and make up, of course.

On 1/12/2018 at 4:58 PM, Eliot said:

There’s some drug company ad that’s annoying me right now. A snotty-assed little brat is whining about his mom’s rheumatoid arthritis and how she won’t be able to do “all the things she does for us, which is like, a LOT.”

How about, “My mom is exhausted and in pain all the time and I want her to feel better”?

Oh, and make your own bed you entitled little twatling.

I am SO with you, Eliot!! I have aggressive RA, and lemme tell ya those ads are just annoying AF!! And thank you! I have a new word...twatling!! Did a total spit take and laughed so hard I woke up the dawgs. The other one I hate is "This is YOU, doing more with Humeria!" What it should say is "this is you, puking your guts up for 24 hours after your Humeria injection!" or "This is you! Injecting what feels like liquid fire into your body!!"  Now dance around and go mountain climbing!  Ok, enough about my rheum-mate from hell.  (rubbing hands in evil glee) Now waiting to tell some obnoxious whiney brat "I'll get you, you little twatling!! And your little dog too!" 

Edited by Oldcrone
misspelled a word....
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Oldcrone said:

I am SO with you, Eliot!! I have aggressive RA, and lemme tell ya those ads are just annoying AF!! And thank you! I have a new word...twatling!! Did a total spit take and laughed so hard I woke up the dawgs. The other one I hate is "This is YOU, doing more with Humeria!" What is should say is "this is you, puking your guts up for 24 hours after your Humeria injection!" or "This is you! Injecting what feels like liquid fire into your body!!"  Now dance around and go mountain climbing!  Ok, enough about my rheum-mate from hell.  (rubbing hands in evil glee) Now waiting to tell some obnoxious whiney brat "I'll get you, you little twatling!! And your little dog too!" 

There seems to be a new commercial trend these days with advertisers trying to pile extra guilt onto sick people. There's the RA ad, then that other one discussed here about the people with Crohn's disease who disappoint their loved ones by running to the bathroom instead of being present for all those special moments.

Being sick is hard enough. Being sick and wracked with guilt about it doesn't make anyone feel better.

• Love 18
10 hours ago, backformore said:

What I never understood was if she LOOOOVED Brad so much and "nothing could replace BRAD",  then why is she breaking into her happy dance when she gets her check for a replacement for Brad?

Because fuck Brad.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

She was on The View last week shilling her new line of skin care products.  She looks exactly the same... with the spanx and botox and wig and make up, of course.

What a novel idea! Is her "skincare" line 6 syringes filled with botox? Are people that ignorant to believe these celebrities skin care products really work? Christy Brinkley, Cindy Crawford, Kim Zolziak, Robin Mcgraw...the list is endless. And THEY use botox and fillers and collagen. But the rest of us folks are supposed to be gullible enough to believe these women use ONLY their skin care products to look so "youthful". Marie is no exception. And she gets her Nutri meals for free", probably has a workout fitness room in her home. I hate all of these fake biatche$. Thanks for letting me vent! Lol

Edited by chenoa333
Spelling
  • Love 12
53 minutes ago, Eliot said:

There seems to be a new commercial trend these days with advertisers trying to pile extra guilt onto sick people. There's the RA ad, then that other one discussed here about the people with Crohn's disease who disappoint their loved ones by running to the bathroom instead of being present for all those special moments.

Being sick is hard enough. Being sick and wracked with guilt about it doesn't make anyone feel better.

Depression med commercials have done this for a long time. "Look at your family who is having to do things without you. Don't you feel BAD for them?!" Fuck off with that.

• Love 11

I have come to the decision that I will not watch or listen to any meds commercials and this includes ads for treatment centers and supplements. I either mute the tv or change the channel, life is too fucking short. I wish it were illegal to advertise prescription drugs like it used to be.

• Love 17
26 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have come to the decision that I will not watch or listen to any meds commercials and this includes ads for treatment centers and supplements. I either mute the tv or change the channel, life is too fucking short. I wish it were illegal to advertise prescription drugs like it used to be.

I mute these commercials always, or change the channel.  I refuse to let that crap into my consciousness.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Is it a sellout when the commercial is what gave you your first break?

3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

That country singer emoting about Nationwide like she was singing about puppies and America and freedom...she practically had a little tear in the corner of her eye. Jeebus

Tori Kelly?  She's no more a country singer than I am.  :)

• Love 1

I have come to the decision that I will not watch or listen to any meds commercials and this includes ads for treatment centers and supplements.

I think you've got the right idea. Following this plan would probably help with my anxiety issues. I literally want to punch those Tresiba ready folks in the face.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Should we read into this that it took a while for LM to send that check? Anyway, her grief is gone and she can afford to be with Brad's younger brother.

No, she's just fickle.

• Love 2

The ad that gives me bile is the Phil Nickleson ad with his fake daughter fake drawing fake pictures of him while narrating a fake story about her fake dad and he's making pancakes and acting (badly) like she's his kid. Why do this ridiculous scenario? Just sell the medicine! 

Oh and can anyone explain to me why all of a sudden every couple in every ad is biracial? It's like a memo went out "White Dad, Black Mom in 2018." The alternate reality presented in ad land is so out of sync with the people they are targeting it's insulting. Like me, for example: I don't care who marries whom but my circle is boringly mundane: same races and opposite sexes. 

• Love 10

I'm puzzled by the latest Symbicort ad. This Grandpa who huffs and puffs is wearing a shirt of a less lurid chartreuse than the first two Grandpas, yet the wolf in the cartoon is still in that eye-vibrating green.  At least the cartoon at the end shows wolves in a non-predatory, non-nasty, almost cute light.

I always hated cartoons that showed certain animals in a bad light. Like the ones where the mice (who you really DON'T want in your home) are all cute & lovable and the cat (who you DO want) is a slavering, mean, ugly predator.

• Love 5

I would like to amend my original statement. I have decided to also mute/change the channel for all pay day loans, mortgage refinances and reverse mortgages. These things are all rip offs and like my friend Brattinella says, I refuse to let this garbage into my consciousness.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Because fuck Brad.

I mean.  They did everything together, and then that asswipe has the nerve to get totaled?  Did he even put up a fight?  What a loser.

I happened to be right next to the TV screen when one of those new Weight Watchers Whatever ads came on so I saw the fine print at the bottom.  I didn’t read the whole thing or ones for anyone else, but the one under the blonde woman in the blue dress says she lost 27 pounds with a combination of a prior diet plan and WW.  Oh really?  I understand they are saying that WW must have helped, but fuck that noise.  Bunch of snake oil salespeople.  I can’t even articulate why that irritated me so much, but it does.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Well yeah, until you go off their prepackaged food...

Which I'm told (never tried it) is really crappy. I have a doctor who said her husband tried it and quit because the food was awful.

• Love 2