Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I hate this commercial:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wFRF/abbvie-there-for-them-crohns-disease-and-ulcerative-colitis

It's so melodramatic, and feels like it's 17 minutes long. At the end it says "To be continued." No. Just no.

I know two people with Crohn's. They don't like this commercial either.

What on earth? Is this commercial trying to shame people with Crohn's or UC? "Look what your debilitating disease is doing to your kids!" Really wrong message here.

• Love 6

Honestly.  I’m pretty sure your mom or dad would MUCH rather be watching you play in the game or help with homework rather than run to the bathroom every five seconds.  Your plaintive looks sure aren’t helping anything kids.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I've used TurboTax  for years but their latest commercial really is appalling.  A guy on a large cruise ship falls overboard and the people he was talking to only yell to him about getting his taxes done.  Since we read about people falling off of ships occasionally it infuriates me that in this commercial no one screams, no one runs for help.  Nope, they just leave the guy in the ocean to drown.  See ya.

They've got a new one  - a woman is in the hospital after having a baby, and her husband/boyfriend is in the room with her. Then a second guy comes in with a balloon shaped like a heart and a teddy bear. The attending nurse goes, "Well, at least your taxes are free."

WTF?!

• Love 5
On 1/12/2018 at 4:46 PM, wiseguy182 said:

"The 'I love Brad'" lady is another one. "You looooved Brad." Is she suggesting that there was some sort of sexual relationship with the owner and Brad? It certainly sounds like it. Ew! 

In this case, "you" is a rhetorical device and she's referring to her own relationship with "Brad". Kirstie Alley once commented on her love of the engine vibration of her motorcycle with a clarity you can get away with on a late-night talk show, but not in an ad. Perhaps that's the case with this lady, maybe enjoying some naughty fantasies with the feel of Brad's stick shift in one hand. She's probably not referring to anything kinkier.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Honestly.  I’m pretty sure your mom or dad would MUCH rather be watching you play in the game or help with homework rather than run to the bathroom every five seconds.  Your plaintive looks sure aren’t helping anything kids.

If they meant to have the kids be sad because their parents were ill, they needed better kid actors. But somehow I don't think that's the problem.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

They've got a new one  - a woman is in the hospital after having a baby, and her husband/boyfriend is in the room with her. Then a second guy comes in with a balloon shaped like a heart and a teddy bear. The attending nurse goes, "Well, at least your taxes are free."

WTF?!

Not only is it WTF, but upon second viewing, the baby has bright red hair, and so does the second guy with the balloons!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

WTF?!

I immediately remembered the joke about the wife's baby's father being the milkman.that was one of the better ads.

• Love 1

Nature Made vitamins has another annoying commercial out (remember the seaweed wrap one, which they're still airing?) The kids run up to mom and say, "Mom, we made princess toast for you!"  And Mom stutters, saying, "Oh, uh, thanks."  Then the narrator says, "You have no idea what's in princess toast, but you do know what's in our Nature Made gummy vitamins."  Why doesn't Mom just ask the freaking kids what's in the freaking toast?!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Haleth said:

I've used TurboTax  for years but their latest commercial really is appalling.  A guy on a large cruise ship falls overboard and the people he was talking to only yell to him about getting his taxes done.  Since we read about people falling off of ships occasionally it infuriates me that in this commercial no one screams, no one runs for help.  Nope, they just leave the guy in the ocean to drown.  See ya.

I agree. I also hate the one with the guy impaled by the swordfish.  It just disturbs me since it happens in real life.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Congrats! You don't have to pay taxes. . . . because you're dead!

Actually......that doesn't get you out of it.   You still have to file a final return in the year you die.  

Edited by Maverick
On 4/28/2016 at 6:00 PM, KLovestoShop said:

With the heat of a billion suns, I despise that awful woman in the Gain commercial who boogies around to Whoop There It Is whenever she smells herself.  I yell at the TV, "bend the hell backward and smell your ass, then sing, Whoop There It Is.  Seriously, if I'm totally annoyed by a commercial, I will NOT buy that product.  If Gain were the only detergent, I'd go to beating my clothes on rocks in the river.  

I wish I could post local commercials because we have ones here for a local car dealership. The owner is a 50-something woman who dresses like a a low end madam in nearly every commercial.  Super short, tight skirts, low cut tops, bleached platinum hair. She has a new one now where she's dressed like a 1970's rock groupie, in leather and dog collar jewelry, singing along with a geriatric local band. Really tacky for a car dealership owner.  But, I guess I shouldn't be surprised because aren't car salesmen one of the least trusted professions?  

And in the ERA of "sexual sins" that AD cant get any traction

On 1/6/2018 at 0:37 PM, QuinnInND said:

Nothing wrong with giving a kid a candy cane in general. But when they're acting like a hellion, giving them one to shut them up, that's another thing. 

In todays society - Kids run rampant (HIDE YOUR TIDE CAPSULES PLEASE!!)

And our pets got to obiedience school

On 1/2/2018 at 6:06 AM, xls said:

IKR?! Let her go if she wants to go, don't close the window on her u b!tch!

Why would any one idiot - voluntarly give someone/something else your DNA

And then of course your have to believe them where your tree began

Such a stupid society - all our world is nothing except in the smartphones

• Love 2

Just remember people - you have the power of the mute button - mine is getting worn out - or even better the flip channel button (that works once in awhile)

There is NOT ONE tv ad that is worth a yellow snowball (think about it).  Can anyone read the fine print after a lawyer;big pharma (AKA Snake oil);auto ad?

• Love 1
On 1/13/2018 at 5:14 AM, wiseguy182 said:

The people that talk about what they sacrificed. Okay, I get it. The troops really have sacrificed a lot and that is commendable. But the ones they pick for this commercial? "I sacrificed my family." Uh, no you didn't. Your family is still alive, you didn't give them up! Or..."I missed a lot of Christmases and birthdays." Well a lot of us have. That isn't limited to just troops! I work in the lodging industry and haven't had a Christmas off in 13 years. What about the doctors and nurses tending to the wounded on  Christmas Day in the hospitals? They didn't get Christmas off either.

When your Motel 6 is located in a combat zone, subject to shelling any time of the day or night, which might result in your grievous injury or death, then you can compare working a shift in a hotel on Christmas Day to being away from your family for months at a time. And if your family lives in the same town where you work, then you get to go home at the end of your shift. You aren't limited to a spotty Skype connection because you're several thousand miles apart.

I work with a lot of disabled veterans, and yes, family often gets sacrificed because of injuries, both mental and physical, whether it's the family member who couldn't handle the changes in their loved one, or because the veteran had trouble dealing with their injuries. 

• Love 18
On 1/13/2018 at 5:14 AM, wiseguy182 said:

Then I should bring up that the organization itself is a scam, like too many charities these days. Your contributions may not go to those who need them, and may wind up in the hands of the greedy higher-ups who use them for extravagant purposes. 

Bold mine.  Not sure where this information's coming from, but WWP's got a 90% overall rating with CharityNavigator.  94% of their income goes toward veterans programs and additional fundraising efforts, and the CEO is uncompensated.

Most annoyed right now by the Chobani "Not Greek!" yogurt commercials that are everywhere now.  Sorry, but this doesn't even look like a real product you could buy in a supermarket; the name is so generic and the packaging is remniscent of a "Yum Cola" can or "Sugar O's" box in the background of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

chobani_smooth_yogurt.jpggreatestamericanherothehitcar_0700_4298.enhanced-buzz-19693-1374866605-25.jpg?do

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Someone does, but I won't be the one filing it...

That's how I feel about all the ads for pre-paying for a big fancy funeral so your loved ones aren't embarrassed. Not my problem, why should I care?

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Seriously... The Mutual of Omaha Whole Life Insurance commercials are making me stabby! The woman who had to give her husband a proper funeral. I want to know what the heck is a proper funeral.

You know how much it costs to not have a funeral? Nothing. Funerals are a huge waste of resources. JMHO.

• Love 11

My mom had a friend who used to say "Just stuff me in a Safeway box when I die.  I don't give a shit."  She's still alive and kicking and cussing.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

When your Motel 6 is located in a combat zone, subject to shelling any time of the day or night, which might result in your grievous injury or death, then you can compare working a shift in a hotel on Christmas Day to being away from your family for months at a time. And if your family lives in the same town where you work, then you get to go home at the end of your shift. You aren't limited to a spotty Skype connection because you're several thousand miles apart.

I work with a lot of disabled veterans, and yes, family often gets sacrificed because of injuries, both mental and physical, whether it's the family member who couldn't handle the changes in their loved one, or because the veteran had trouble dealing with their injuries. 

THIS!  One billion times!❤️❤️

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Can they not get another spokeswoman for Nutri System because Marie Osmond is obnoxious with a capital O.

Not to mention as relatable to the average overweight person as Marie Antoinette was to the Parisian citizenry.

• Love 16

I really hate this trend of turning commercials into mini-series. Volvo started it but it seems to be spreading. There is even a local law firm in my state that's doing commercials in episode form. Sheesh.

• Love 4

I know, I keep complaining about Farmer's Only, but they really are getting on my last nerve right now. I am reaching for the mute button as soon as I realize one of their ads is on. A few minutes ago, I muted, and happened to be looking at the screen waiting for the ad to be over. It was the one with the guy in the bar who asks were all the country girls are, then presses the app on his phone and suddenly, there they are! What I noticed looking at it without sound, is they are Stepford Wives, they don't move except their mouths singing the jingle and they are perfectly beautiful, yep, Stepford Wives. I guess that's what some people want or some ad agency think people want it. But if I am ever looking for a relationship and at this point in my life, nope, been there, done that, got the divorce papers, but I don't want a Stepford person, I want a real person, warts and all and I want to be wanted by a real person, warts and all. Just don't squeeze the blackheads or put eye bag tightener on me and film it, please! But I will take a Futzuki...and maybe I will, I saw them in Walmart yesterday.

Edited by friendperidot
nevermind, no edit
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

I really hate this trend of turning commercials into mini-series. Volvo started it but it seems to be spreading. There is even a local law firm in my state that's doing commercials in episode form. Sheesh.

I thought the Nescafe people started it back in the day with the British couple that fell in love because she borrowed some coffee from him when they were neighbors. 

Yes, I am that old.

• Love 23
10 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Exactly. A lot of people have sacrificed a lot in the wars. My point is, why didn't they get some of *those* people for the commercials? People talking about missing holidays seems such small potatoes to those who sacrificed limbs, senses, etc.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I know, I keep complaining about Farmer's Only, but they really are getting on my last nerve right now. I am reaching for the mute button as soon as I realize one of their ads is on. A few minutes ago, I muted, and happened to be looking at the screen waiting for the ad to be over. It was the one with the guy in the bar who asks were all the country girls are, then presses the app on his phone and suddenly, there they are! What I noticed looking at it without sound, is they are Stepford Wives, they don't move except their mouths singing the jingle and they are perfectly beautiful, yep, Stepford Wives. I guess that's what some people want or some ad agency think people want it. But if I am ever looking for a relationship and at this point in my life, nope, been there, done that, got the divorce papers, but I don't want a Stepford person, I want a real person, warts and all and I want to be wanted by a real person, warts and all. Just don't squeeze the blackheads or put eye bag tightener on me and film it, please! But I will take a Futzuki...and maybe I will, I saw them in Walmart yesterday.

I find myself in a weird place because the concept of a dating website being apparently off-limits to a wide swath of people (city folk) bothers me, but the commercials are kind of catchy.

Actually, what these websites don't take into account is that often times, IRL, opposites attract. I don't need someone that's exactly like me in every way, and neither does anyone else.

Those ads are also incredibly deceptive. I love how every single commercial from a dating website (such as match.com, etc) have all these absolutely wonderful looking people on there. Having tried a few of these, I can tell you that 99% of the people on there are nowhere near that good-looking. I used OkCupid for a while because I don't drink or smoke and am not into the bar/club scene, which makes meeting people difficult in today's world. But most of the people on there are there because they can't get a date. The old, the fat, the ugly, you get the picture. Of all the people that "liked me", (I think it was over 100), there was maybe a small handful that I would consider even remotely good-looking, and one of those was a scam from someone using a model's picture to get money. (And no, I didn't send him any).

But I see your point. I hate it when the say "City folks just don't get it." Uh, what exactly don't we get? My mother was from the country and my dad from the city. They make it sound like that a country person and a city person getting together would never happen in a million years.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, wiseguy182 said:

Exactly. A lot of people have sacrificed a lot in the wars. My point is, why didn't they get some of *those* people for the commercials? People talking about missing holidays seems such small potatoes to those who sacrificed limbs, senses, etc.

No, it's not, because sometimes the "small potatoes" have the most impact; don't underestimate the power of "normal." I've seen veterans choke up about missing a daughter's birthday party and joke about missing their legs.

2 hours ago, wiseguy182 said:

But most of the people on there are there because they can't get a date. The old, the fat, the ugly, you get the picture. Of all the people that "liked me", (I think it was over 100), there was maybe a small handful that I would consider even remotely good-looking,

How dare the "old, the fat, the ugly" dare to assume they're entitled to love and companionship.

• Love 15

actually there are dating sites for the old and the fat. I've seen a couple of old people and now & then see one for fat women, I don't know if fat men are allowed, not being fat (anymore, yay!) but mostly not being interested, haven't checked. But the ads for the old and fat do not bother me near as much as Farmers only and EHarmony and then the ones for the old, horny, married men to get in touch with hot, young, greedy babes, those seem to air very late at night on the cheap channels. But back to Farmers only and their stupid tag line about "city folk just don't get it..." Everyone looking for love, whether they be city, country, old, young, fat, skinny, or somewhere in the middle, they are all looking for the same general things, someone they are attracted to, someone that makes them feel good about themselves, someone with some common interests and goals. Now the late night ads with hot, young, greedy babes looking to hook up for sex and other benefits from old, horny, rich men are looking for a little bit different things.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, wiseguy182 said:

But I see your point. I hate it when the say "City folks just don't get it." Uh, what exactly don't we get?

They're targeting a stereotype who holds negative stereotypes about the other group, so what might a stereotypical rural person think about city folks?

• Love 2
16 hours ago, friendperidot said:

The one I really can't stand is the one where they are fishing and the "stupid" city girl is wearing six inch heels and bitching about sushi and then the country girl comes along and hooks her out of the boat and into the water. Nice people you've got the Farmers Only, assault, kidnapping and leaving a person stranded in the boonies notwithstanding.

• Love 5

Can they not get another spokeswoman for Nutri System because Marie Osmond is obnoxious with a capital O.

I second this. And the loud-mouthed idiots doing the Orajel commercials can go away any time now, that would not hurt my feelings a bit. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I second this. And the loud-mouthed idiots doing the Orajel commercials can go away any time now, that would not hurt my feelings a bit. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!

You said it!  That boom boom boom boom just drives me crazy!  They don't need to SCREAM.

• Love 5

The Orajel commercial where the woman says, "I had other things to do" instead of tending to her toothache. Having a toothache is not good, lady! It means something is wrong. Get to the dentist! Put off your other things!

• Love 11
23 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

And that commercial is many many years old. What does Marie REALLY look like these days (without the Spanx and botox and wig and 4 lbs. of make up) ? She has to be in her 60's by now!

F U Nutri System.....you're full of $hit.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I thought the Nescafe people started it back in the day with the British couple that fell in love because she borrowed some coffee from him when they were neighbors. 

Yes, I am that old.

Wasn't that Taster's Choice?  Or are you talking about something else?  There was also the Country Crock couple whose hands were the only thing you saw.

The difference between those and what Volvo is doing now (the Volvo commercials are the only serial ones I can think of lately) is that they spread them out.  Like, they'd air one, and a few months later, once everyone had seen the first one, they'd air another.  But Volvo will put them all out at once so you see them in the wrong order, and have no context, because it's one thing chopped up into pieces, rather than episodes.

• Love 4