Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I had to stop wearing heels about 30 years ago, my feet can't do them. I haven't seen the Shoedazzle ad, but I'd probably like the shoes if I could get them doll size. I live my shoe fantasies through my dolls, they can wear whatever wild and crazy shoe I can come up with. They also don't have to stand or walk.

Editing because I have discovered Chinese embroidered flats, I bought about a dozen pair last year. They let me live my cute shoe fantasies. I see ads for them on websites to keep this about commercials. And I have clicked the ads to get a better look.

I would love to have a link to such a website. I love the Chinese canvas T straps.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:44 PM, friendperidot said:

Another EHarmony ad that is annoying the crap out of me. In this one, the fool says, "I wasn't finding the quality of girls I was looking for through my friends. If he wasn't finding the quality of girls he was looking for, methinks maybe he needs to upgrade the quality of his friends.

I'm reminded of the scene in The Big Bang Theory where Leonard asks Penny to set up Howard with one of her friends, and follows up with "it does't have to be a good friend". Changing friends won't help if he's the kind of guy that nobody wants to inflict on the quality of girl he' s hoping for. 

• Love 3

I don't even care if someone else had mentioned it, because it is totes worth repeating:

That godawful DiGiorno's pizza song.  Wherever I am, I dive to the place where the remote is, so I can hit "MUTE" before that chick belts out: "Panpanpanpaaaaa-aaa-an!"

If not the worst jingle ever, it is on the shortlist of: "Makes Me Want to Bite Off an Ear"...my own.

• Love 7

There’s a commercial I see quite often but don’t know what it advertises.  I think it might be Tylenol or Advil or something.  It features one of those classic TV commercial modern families - young, hip with the tech, interracial.  There might be a cute doggy around too.  They are all going about their busy day around the house...dad’s at the computer doing stuff when one of the little scamps runs by and he swivels round in his chair and sits the kid on his lap.  Mom is in the kitchen with kid #2 doing stuff when a carton of milk gets spilled all over and she quickly cleans up.  No yelling and screaming.  Everyone is just busy with family chaos and lovin it!  The ad ends with mom and kid #2 in the kitchen doing what I assume is a happy milk clean-up dance.  And mom’s moves are highly annoying!  

Hate that ad.  And apparently it doesn’t even do a good job of burning the brand into my neurons...

• Love 6
On 1/6/2018 at 8:06 PM, NYGirl said:

I came here to complain about that Ronaldo commercial!  Why does that chambermaid still have a job when she took a picture of a guest locked out of his room in his underwear and then posted it online for everybody to see!! 

Because it's OK when a man is sexually harrassed.

21 hours ago, voiceover said:

I don't even care if someone else had mentioned it, because it is totes worth repeating:

That godawful DiGiorno's pizza song.  Wherever I am, I dive to the place where the remote is, so I can hit "MUTE" before that chick belts out: "Panpanpanpaaaaa-aaa-an!"

The DiGiornio's pan pizza is godawful too.

I'm hating the Turbo Tax commercials playing ad nauseum, especially the ones that feature the phrase "at least your taxes are free!"

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

You know that my pillow ad where whatshisface says he employs thousands of people? He is lying. My Pillow employs 1500 people, not even close to multiple thousands. Why can't he just be honest and say hundreds?

He is so creepy. He's even creepier when watching him for an extended amount of time when he's on QVC. In the commercial and during his Q appearances he always says something about how he's not going to be there for forever to hold a competitors pillow down while a woman in each instance has her head is on it. The look he has on his face each time he says it is just icky.

• Love 3

I hate My Pillow commercials. If a pillow or a mattress would help cure insomnia or poor sleep why doesn't your doctor suggest it, Not to mention it's drug free and is not going to potentially have you getting up at o dark thirty and getting behind the wheel of a car half naked and doing any number of dangerous things. Then there are the possible side effects of a drug. If I opened my bathroom cabinet and that dude was standing on the other side I'd scream bloody murder and call the police. And, they last/run too long.

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I just noticed on the latest My Pillow ad I saw that Mike prominently features a cross necklace, so we can see he's wearing it. That makes me even less inclined to buy one of those pillows. People who feel obliged to show off their piousness piss me off. 

Or he could just like wearing a cross. I frequently do, and I'm not religious. I just like how it looks.

• Love 4

For me, it has nothing to with the fact that he's wearing it. It's that, instead of simply opening one more shirt button (or just not worrying about it at all), he's contorted it into a ridiculous position just so we know he's wearing it.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 11

Apparently sleeping on a My Pillow redeems your soul and also makes you as religious as Mike Lindell because in the ad I linked above, the guy in the medicine cabinet is wearing an obvious cross by the end of the commercial after starting out without one.  Thus, if you're agnostic or atheist, watch out, 'cuz Mike will make sure you "repent and are saved".

• Love 11
8 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I just noticed on the latest My Pillow ad I saw that Mike prominently features a cross necklace, so we can see he's wearing it. That makes me even less inclined to buy one of those pillows. People who feel obliged to show off their piousness piss me off. 

In the medicine cabinet My Pillow commercial, the male is shown wearing a cross after Mike has made his life all better....

• Love 5
On 1/4/2018 at 1:01 PM, Eliot said:

Speaking of "awful and cruel" ads, the one for that home healthcare company, Brightstar I think it's called, makes me want to scream and throw things at the TV. It's narrated by a woman whose mother is sliding into dementia and they choose Brightstar "because Dad made us promise to keep Mom at home."

Yeah? Well FUCK YOU, "DAD." And fuck you, Brightstar, for playing on the guilt and agony of families who are facing really difficult decisions about what is safest and best for their elderly parents. News flash: That's a huge fucking house that old lady is living in, and as someone whose father is suffering mid-stage dementia right now, I can tell you that that huge fucking house with all of its hazards - stairs, ovens, electrical outlets, appliances, slippery floors - is probably the most UNSAFE place for that old lady to be, with or without a home health aid.

Moving an ailing parent to an environment that is safe, well-appointed, and appropriate for their condition (where they can get round the clock care and physical and cognitive therapy) is hardly akin to shoving them off on an ice float into the Arctic Sea.

Yes!

• Love 9

All Liberty Mutual insurance commercials need to be permanently banned from tv. And the person that thought up this marketing strategy needs to be fired.

The one I'm getting a lot now on the Justice Channel is the guy who totaled his new car and wanted a replacement: "The guy says 'You picked the wrong insurance plan....NO....I picked the wrong insurance company'", in the most snotty, smart-alecky way imaginable. Well I guess you told him. Now you don't have a car, but you got a one-up on the phone representative of an insurance company you're no longer with. Great job.

"The 'I love Brad'" lady is another one. "You looooved Brad." Is she suggesting that there was some sort of sexual relationship with the owner and Brad? It certainly sounds like it. Ew! 

Who can forget the "What are you supposed to do, drive 3/4 or a car?" lady. No.

Or how about the one that downplays when people get in their first accident? It's as if they're saying: "Drunk and negligent drivers that kill people? Meh, no big deal. It was their first accident."

Speaking of insurance, has anyone seen that Omaha Mutual Insurance Company one where the middle-aged guy with the extremely irritating voice is conducting a class full of seniors? He says "Take your seats". Dude, these are your elders! You don't need to treat them like infant children that need constant direction. Stop kissing everyone's ass with you "Yes sir, yes ma'am" crap and get off my t.v.

• Love 15

There’s some drug company ad that’s annoying me right now. A snotty-assed little brat is whining about his mom’s rheumatoid arthritis and how she won’t be able to do “all the things she does for us, which is like, a LOT.”

How about, “My mom is exhausted and in pain all the time and I want her to feel better”?

Oh, and make your own bed you entitled little twatling.

• Love 20

There's a current Lowe's ad that really gets on my nerves. A woman walks into her half bath and sees there's no place on the back of the commode to put a roll of toilet paper. So she rearranges everything, including a lot of decorative stuff, and there's still no room for the toilet paper. Naturally she chooses to completely redo the bathroom. They do make wall-mounted toilet paper holders and they're really cheap. They even sell them at Lowe's. I also hate the couple that resorts to buying a new refrigerator because their current one won't hold all their party food. I bet it would if they actually purged all the expired stuff.

• Love 12

Apparently the last gross Gushers commercial where the dumb ass teen squeezes the ink of an squid/octopus into her mouth and indignantly and angrily exclaims 'That isn't a gusher!' wasn't enough. Now we have a jackass in the bathroom squeezing pink hand sanitizer into his mouth and shockingly exclaiming the same thing.

Do they really think this makes people -even kids- want gushers? It's not funny or appetizing just annoying and gross. Especially because the two gusher users seem dumb as posts. 

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

There's a current Lowe's ad that really gets on my nerves. A woman walks into her half bath and sees there's no place on the back of the commode to put a roll of toilet paper. So she rearranges everything, including a lot of decorative stuff, and there's still no room for the toilet paper. Naturally she chooses to completely redo the bathroom. They do make wall-mounted toilet paper holders and they're really cheap. They even sell them at Lowe's. I also hate the couple that resorts to buying a new refrigerator because their current one won't hold all their party food. I bet it would if they actually purged all the expired stuff.

I agree on the Lowes ads, but I have had wonderful customer service there. We bought a new dishwasher recently and they were wonderful. My problem with the refrigerator ad is that it's obviously built in, so how can you put in a refrigerator with more sq. ft.?

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

Apparently the last gross Gushers commercial where the dumb ass teen squeezes the ink of an squid/octopus into her mouth and indignantly and angrily exclaims 'That isn't a gusher!' wasn't enough. Now we have a jackass in the bathroom squeezing pink hand sanitizer into his mouth and shockingly exclaiming the same thing.

Do they really think this makes people -even kids- want gushers? It's not funny or appetizing just annoying and gross. Especially because the two gusher users seem dumb as posts. 

NO ONE wants your nasty product after these commercials!  Horrible and gross.  Pay attention, Gushers!

• Love 3

Wounded Warrior Project is another one. The entire series of commercials and the organization needs to go away.

First of all, you have that homophobic, North-hating country bumpkin Trace Adkins doing them. He sits there, in his slow southern drawl, eyes not focused on the camera, looking thoroughly depressed and half-asleep. Whose bright idea was it to make this guy your pitchman? 

Then I should bring up that the organization itself is a scam, like too many charities these days. Your contributions may not go to those who need them, and may wind up in the hands of the greedy higher-ups who use them for extravagant purposes. 

Trace Adkins and his panhandling: "If you haven't found it in your heart yet to contribute, I urge you to do so because it's a very noble cause." Pardon me if I don't want to take the limited cash I have and give it to the rich. Trace has a net worth of 19 million, surely he could give more.

The deceased soldier whose dying wish was his remaining loved ones get 100,000 people to contribute to Wounded Warrior. ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND?! I feel bad he died and his service to the country is admirable, but jeez, that's asking a lot.

The people that talk about what they sacrificed. Okay, I get it. The troops really have sacrificed a lot and that is commendable. But the ones they pick for this commercial? "I sacrificed my family." Uh, no you didn't. Your family is still alive, you didn't give them up! Or..."I missed a lot of Christmases and birthdays." Well a lot of us have. That isn't limited to just troops! I work in the lodging industry and haven't had a Christmas off in 13 years. What about the doctors and nurses tending to the wounded on  Christmas Day in the hospitals? They didn't get Christmas off either.

Edited by wiseguy182
  • Love 18
On 1/11/2018 at 5:02 PM, TattleTeeny said:

For me, it has nothing to with the fact that he's wearing it. It's that, instead of simply opening one more shirt button (or just not worrying about it at all), he's contorted it into a ridiculous position just so we know he's wearing it.

Thanks for pointing this out.  Having his shirt buttoned up all that way and the cross pulled out and hanging awkwardly had to be a conscious choice.  Not that I care one way or another, but he has to be trying to convey a subtle message with that.

9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I also hate the couple that resorts to buying a new refrigerator because their current one won't hold all their party food.

I'm seriously considering getting a new fridge because my through the door ice dispenser doesn't work.  It's annoying.

• Love 1

Speaking of insurance, has anyone seen that Omaha Mutual Insurance Company one where the middle-aged guy with the extremely irritating voice is conducting a class full of seniors? He says "Take your seats". Dude, these are your elders! You don't need to treat them like infant children that need constant direction. Stop kissing everyone's ass with you "Yes sir, yes ma'am" crap and get off my t.v.

I HATE that commercial. I've ranted about this before. It appears that these people have signed up for some kind of financial seminar, which usually cost a few hundred dollars and what do they get? A stupid fucking sales pitch for Mutual of Omaha. And the guy leading the seminar is soooo condescending. The people asking questions act like subservient morons. Aaarrggh. I can't stand it.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, mmecorday said:

My husband is a Lowe’s delivery driver and he said the fridge ad drives him nuts because the family getting the new fridge is not remotely realistic.  The horror stories he has told me...

Also he said that delivering new vanities is a real bitch.

22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I absolutely loathe that All the Way Up Mountain Dew Ad.  Like so much that I want to run over the ass in the commercial.  (Is that Danny McBride? UGH.)

I haaaaaaaaates that ad so very much.  Repetition makes me want to claw my own ears out so hearing the same bit of a song for 30 seconds makes me nearly homicidal.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, wiseguy182 said:

Wounded Warrior Project is another one. The entire series of commercials and the organization needs to go away.

I just cannot imagine my WWII vet and career military grandfather referring to himself as a "warrior".

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

I just cannot imagine my WWII vet and career military grandfather referring to himself as a "warrior".

My father would just say he was doing what he had to do. "Warrior" never entered the vocabulary.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Jamoche said:

It's better than the new word the Pentagon uses - "war fighter".  As a veteran, this just grates on my nerves.

• Love 6
On 1/2/2018 at 7:45 PM, TobinAlbers said:

Northwest Mutual has launched commercials about parents living it up with their kids now rather than working and planning to later. I get the sentiment, but holy smokes in one of the commercials the dad is mowing the yard in unbearable heat and his teen daughter in THE most annoying, entitled voice ever is yelling at him to take her to a friend she house. And then she has the temerity to rolls her eyes ata him because he's not dropping everything for her. We're supposed to like that he decides to install a pool so that he and the wife and the kids can enjoy time together but I was so appalled at their daughter that I couldn't be happy for them. She had such an ugly attitude.

Speaking of bratty kids, I saw a new car ad in which a little girls the family car hers and then gives her mother the stink eye when asked about having a new little sister.

On 1/3/2018 at 9:57 AM, janie jones said:

I've never seen this commercial, so I'm not disagreeing that it's ridiculous, but I can think of two reasons a married couple would have two different networks.  1. One of them has an employer who pays for their cell phone plan. 2. One of them is still under contract with another carrier and they will switch when that's up.  (Or they're not even married?  Is it certain they're even married?)

I hate ghat ad with the fishwife commenting on his slow network after getting a speeding ticket,  but when she says "your network", it's the same "your" a parent uses to describe a mishaved child, e.g., "your son set the house on fire".

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Unless they are actually FIGHTING a war.  Then that is the literal definition.  Warriors, that is.

Although that may be the denotation, the (or one) connotation of "warrior" is often that of someone fighting in medieval times.  What I find pretentious is them trading on the connotation of a knight in shining armor or glorious samurai.  But maybe it's not their fault if people on their couches watching the commercials aren't as quick to respond to "Wounded Soldiers" without them painting that picture.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Although that may be the denotation, the (or one) connotation of "warrior" is often that of someone fighting in medieval times.  What I find pretentious is them trading on the connotation of a knight in shining armor or glorious samurai.  But maybe it's not their fault if people on their couches watching the commercials aren't as quick to respond to "Wounded Soldiers" without them painting that picture.

I don't recall any samurai or knights in that commercial.  Do you have a link?

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I suspect "Warrior" was selected for the alliteration. 

Oh, I think so also, but I doubt they would have used that alliteration if it weren't so evocative.

Just now, Brattinella said:

I don't recall any samurai or knights in that commercial.  Do you have a link?

What?  I was talking about the connotation of the word.  I said nothing about samurai or knights appearing in any commercial.

• Love 4

Ok, I've been waffling back and forth on whether to post this one, but it's been bugging me for days. Usually I like Subaru's ads, or at least I don't hate them. But I felt like their latest Outback ad was kind of tasteless, for lack of a better word. In the ad, there's a couple evacuating their house from something. The grab a bag, throw it in the car, realize they have more room, and start going back for useless crap, like an exercise ball. When people flee and they can only take very little with them it's not because their car won't fit more, it's because there is no time. I get that the point they're trying to make is that the car is roomy, but there are plenty of other ways to make almost that exact commercial without setting it as an emergency. Perhaps I'm overreacting a little bit because of the recent events in Hawaii, but, at least for me, this felt like a major misstep for Subaru.

ETA: I feel like I should clarify - the reason it annoys me is that I feel like the commercial is implying "if you'd bought a Subaru, you wouldn't have lost all those family photos and other still-meaningful non-essentials" which is the part that I think is tasteless.

Edited by BabyVegas
  • Love 13

I've used TurboTax  for years but their latest commercial really is appalling.  A guy on a large cruise ship falls overboard and the people he was talking to only yell to him about getting his taxes done.  Since we read about people falling off of ships occasionally it infuriates me that in this commercial no one screams, no one runs for help.  Nope, they just leave the guy in the ocean to drown.  See ya.

• Love 18