Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm not sure I understand--what should happen in the meantime before this "long run" arrives? Should white and hetero remain the default even though a business wants to sell its service or product to as many people as possible? I'm not saying it's not manipulative and calculated--maybe it is. Probably is, but so is all advertising, regardless of what combination of marrieds is hawking the housewares. And maybe the people in the ad you see are simply the best actors for the job (is that naive? Haha!).

I don't know what it says about me but I always just saw an "ordinary" girl in the "what's a computer" commercial.

Yeah, I don’t disagree with you.  I don’t really understand myself but it just bugs me when I see it in advertising.  It doesn’t bother me in any way at all in TV shows or movies.  Maybe it’s because the ad is such a small segment and so that element tends to take greater significance or something.  Also, I don’t ever believe for a second that it isn’t a completely calculated element.  Maybe i’m too cynical but I just don’t believe it’s ever because those are just the best actors...and that’s part of the problem for me too.  I always kind of imagine the guy who owns the company is a total racist pig but he wants to sell his shit so yup, biracial couple in the advert!  

And as far as that iPad ad goes, the first few times I saw it I assumed it was a boy.  I think because of the way she says “dude!” When she sees her friend’s cast.  It sounds a bit “bro-ish.”  Then I noticed the nail polish...and I thought “hmm, ok I guess it’s a boy who wears nail polish?  Edgy?”  Then I realized “ah, no it’s a girl but they are obviously doing that gender neutral thing.”  

On 2018-01-23 at 2:32 AM, DeaconBlues said:

It's not bad (far from perfect) but has a nice 80s nostalgia to it and the child actors (including Gaten Matarazo) are actually great and really likeable. 

One the topic of commercials, Apple comes through again with their new #selfies commercial with a variety of people mugging for self portraits while a Muhammad Ali monologue about being "the greatest" plays in the background.  Ali gets a pass -- it was his shtick -- but I seem to remember a long time ago when unrepentant vanity and self-absorption was actually frowned upon.  It's one thing to have a positive self-image and not be hung up on negative feelings about the way you look...it's another thing entirely to be so vain that you're constantly plastering your selfie on every social media platform 20 times a day to show the world how "great" you are.  I guess this is the new age, but it feels so wrong.

I enjoyed season 1 of Stranger Things but i’m finding I actually kind of hate season 2.  It really feels like a piece of fan fiction...I think the writing is pretty crappy.  I found 11 to be a very appealing character in the first season but i’m finding her really annoying now.  The whole thing is like a couple rpg guys (of which I actually am one lol) decided to turn their awesome Call of Cthulhu campaign into a TV series...

...oh, and the episode where she takes off to find her sister is incredibly bad.  The “gang” of supposedly tough ne’er-do-wells is laughably lame. They don’t even achieve Warriors parody quality...

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Amethyst said:

The new Gushers commercials.  Maybe they took some tips from the Skittles pox, because nothing says "yum" like swallowing liquid soap, or squid ink. 

Apparently that stuff gushes?  Gross.  This is like watching people try to eat the laundry pods.

Is that the gum with a liquid center? I remember that from when I was a kid. Only tried it once - first bite squirted the flavor, and then after that it was the most tasteless gum ever.

On ‎01‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, peacheslatour said:

You want to talk pretentious? They're using some bastardized version of Carmina Burana  in a chicken strips commercial or some shit, didn't really pay attention to the product because I was so appalled.

I don't think they're trying to be pretentious - I think it's a deliberate juxtaposition.  I like that commercial, but I can see why others might not.

On ‎01‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

They've got a new one  - a woman is in the hospital after having a baby, and her husband/boyfriend is in the room with her. Then a second guy comes in with a balloon shaped like a heart and a teddy bear. The attending nurse goes, "Well, at least your taxes are free."

WTF?!

I think that one is funny.  The others, not so much.

On ‎01‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, Brattinella said:

Not only is it WTF, but upon second viewing, the baby has bright red hair, and so does the second guy with the balloons!

That's the whole point - to imply that the mailman is the real father.

• Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:58 PM, wiseguy182 said:

Exactly. A lot of people have sacrificed a lot in the wars. My point is, why didn't they get some of *those* people for the commercials? People talking about missing holidays seems such small potatoes to those who sacrificed limbs, senses, etc.

I've seen plenty of Wounded Warrior commercials with wounded veterans in them.

• Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, bilgistic said:

Whatever the coffee was, those commercials starred Anthony Head, a.k.a., Rupert Giles from Buffy (TV) before Buffy aired! I'm a nerd.

And the woman (Sharon Maughan) had an ex-husband in one commercial who was played by the actress' real-life husband, Trevor Eve.

On ‎01‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:12 PM, AuntiePam said:

It's a rare medical condition causing difficulty with bones, including teeth -- cleidocranial dysplasia.  Gaten was on Ridiculousness awhile back and showed what you can do if you're born without collar bones, like he was  He's got a great attitude about it.  He didn't have any teeth in the first season of Stranger Things.  Then he had surgery -- his teeth were "pulled down" -- so he had teeth in the second season. 

I don't mind his voice so much, but the writing for his character in the commercial is annoying as all get out, and would actively make me not get FIOS even if it was available in my area.  (Which it isn't.)

There's a commercial about some contraceptive device, and its wording is kind of stupid: something like "wouldn't you like to forget about taking your BC pill?" But the footage that goes with it is women freaking out that they forgot their pills. So it seems like those chicks have already achieved what the commercial is asking about, haha!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Is that the gum with a liquid center? I remember that from when I was a kid. Only tried it once - first bite squirted the flavor, and then after that it was the most tasteless gum ever.

We used to call it "cum gum".

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Jamoche said:

A gummy candy, but not actual gum.  They were ok.  I was more of a fruit by the foot girl.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't mind his voice so much, but the writing for his character in the commercial is annoying as all get out, and would actively make me not get FIOS even if it was available in my area.  (Which it isn't.)

He's on today's episode of The Doctors, discussing his condition.  It might be available on OnDemand.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Yeah, I don’t disagree with you.  I don’t really understand myself but it just bugs me when I see it in advertising.  It doesn’t bother me in any way at all in TV shows or movies.  Maybe it’s because the ad is such a small segment and so that element tends to take greater significance or something.  Also, I don’t ever believe for a second that it isn’t a completely calculated element.  Maybe i’m too cynical but I just don’t believe it’s ever because those are just the best actors...and that’s part of the problem for me too.  I always kind of imagine the guy who owns the company is a total racist pig but he wants to sell his shit so yup, biracial couple in the advert! 

But the commercials featuring straight white people probably don't have the best actors for the job a lot of the time either.  Maybe they need a woman who looks like she could be the daughter of the old lady.  Or a blond person because the other person has brown hair.  Or someone who is just plain better looking.

6 hours ago, Jamoche said:

More like fruit snacks with goo in the middle.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:09 AM, HipOldBat said:

Cosentyx has come up with an even more annoying commercial, in my opinion.  It starts out with a woman coming down the stairs, saying, "Psoriatic arthritis tries to get in my way - watch me" and then she goes into the kitchen to make sandwiches.  SANDWICHES.  If you're in so much pain you can't even put a piece of cheese on a piece of bread, you need to go to the ER.  I know this is a painful condition - my friend has it - but please.  The woman looks so snarky, as if to say, "I'm so healthy I can make a sandwich, not like those OTHER losers with psoriatic arthritis!"

Then, later on in the commercial, one of the other characters smirks at the camera and asks, "Do you think I'd miss the chance to show them how it's done?"  Ugh, big-ego lady, get over yourself already.  

One gets the idea that Cosentyx not only helps your arthritis, but it gives you an attitude as well.  I just want to slap all of them.

Oh, and all the people who mentioned the commercial that tries to guilt people for having to rush to the bathroom all the time (and disappoint their loved ones)...you're right, it's a horrible way to sell anything, especially medicine.  All of us who are familiar with that sprint to public bathrooms feel bad enough without having a drug company guilt-trip us.

Yeah! I think that is the one that is one of those serialized commercials that I hate. They had a theme something like "what's missing" (I guess we find out it's you in the next episode).

I hated the regular Cosentyx commercials that were just aimed at psoriasis too. See me, SEE ME, SEE ME, geez.

• Love 3
On 1/23/2018 at 3:17 AM, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, that's the weird part. He's never noticed his wife having issues? She's never said she's constipated? He's never seen that product before in the bathroom or something similar to it?  

It's just so creepy that he is so fascinated by the fact. "Reaaaallly?"

• Love 4

I despise the new Jergens commercial with the pain in the ass mother and her 20 year old daughter.   When mom interrupts her daughter's shower, and the girl says " I locked the door", the mother responds, "locks, pfuff".  If that were me, I'd be packing up and moving out.  

The other commercial I hate is for some drug where a dorky man takes the stuff and then spends his days bouncing around like an out of control bobblehead 

• Love 7

You know what I hate about a lot of commercials? There's so much doom and gloom. They're trying to get your money by scaring you. "Your car WILL break down!" "You WILL get sick!" "This drugs side effects WILL kill you!" "You ARE going to DIE!!!" All aboard the Nope train to fuck that-ville.

• Love 10

The health-related ad that starts with "suppose you only got one car for life" is causing me massive rage, because it seems to be saying you start with a perfect body and mind and you bring all your later health problems on yourself.  I'm sure my aunt who got Alzheimer's disease at the age of 54 didn't bring it on herself. 

• Love 10

I get really pissed off every time I see the commercial with Joan Lunden and A Place for Mom.  My first hand experience with that company was really bad.  We were looking for a nursing home/rehab for our dad and the first place I called was A Place.  What Ms Lunden doesn't tell you is that the company won't even talk to you unless you are paying for the placement totally on your own.  When I told the rep that dad was on Medicaid, the witch actually hung up on me.  NO, I'm not kidding.  She said "We don't handle Medicaid people" and then hung up without allowing me to ask any other questions.  Joan Lunden should be ashamed.   

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I get really pissed off every time I see the commercial with Joan Lunden and A Place for Mom.  My first hand experience with that company was really bad.  We were looking for a nursing home/rehab for our dad and the first place I called was A Place.  What Ms Lunden doesn't tell you is that the company won't even talk to you unless you are paying for the placement totally on your own.  When I told the rep that dad was on Medicaid, the witch actually hung up on me.  NO, I'm not kidding.  She said "We don't handle Medicaid people" and then hung up without allowing me to ask any other questions.  Joan Lunden should be ashamed.   

Did you report them to the BBB, or post a review on yelp?  That is infuriating!

• Love 9
On 12/31/2017 at 3:56 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

Chevy: a real person in their douche-directed focus groups explains the variety of trucks thusly: "you've got the basic and you've got the beefy." Sure, dude. It's totally not embarrassing to describe a vehicle as beefy.

Other comments in this ad: "Looks mean!'  "Like it is comin' to eat ya!"  "Goosebumps" 

Jesus, Chevy, real men don't TALK like that!  And from the articles I have read about this, they really DO use real people, and it is NOT scripted!  WTF?  I must say, though; this one is starting to be a favorite commercial because I laugh all the way through it now!

• Love 9
On 1/24/2018 at 11:25 PM, KLovestoShop said:

The other commercial I hate is for some drug where a dorky man takes the stuff and then spends his days bouncing around like an out of control bobblehead 

I seem to have missed this one. Link? Please and thanks.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, riley702 said:

I seem to have missed this one. Link? Please and thanks.

I don't have a link, but it's for a Diabetes II drug that shows a guy getting back on track to an active life - I think it's cute! Mileage truly does vary.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I don't have a link, but it's for a Diabetes II drug that shows a guy getting back on track to an active life - I think it's cute! Mileage truly does vary.

I think he is cute, too, bopping around.  Happy guy.

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Is it the one with the reluctant Basset Hound?  This one?  Seems people either hate this commercial or love it.

eta: Wait long enough and the commercial will appear!

4 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I don’t know how to post links.  Sorry.  But the drug is Entyvio

That is a drug for UC not Diabetes.

eta: The drug is Trujeo, sounds similar.

The new commercials for Taco Bell's fries bug me.

Edited by elle
  • Love 1

GMC has done a commercial like this every year now for a while. See links below. 

I hate that "keeping up with the Joneses crap". What an old and outdated message that they encourage.

They must really like this theme because they've been making a new one every year. 

Hate how the non GMC person is portrayed.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ann1/2016-gmc-terrain-new-years-resolution

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AoIh/gmc-light-up-reindeer

Edited by seasons
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

That's not unusual.  My husband ran into the same thing with his dad.  Nursing homes don't want to deal with Medicaid.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, seasons said:

GMC has done a commercial like this every year now for a while. See links below. 

I hate that "keeping up with the Joneses crap". What an old and outdated message that they encourage.

They must really like this theme because they've been making a new one every year. 

Quoting myself lol

Buick jumping on board with this theme...

• Love 2
7 hours ago, seasons said:

Yeah, like "I bought this for my family and I didn't spend much."  "Yeah, but WE bought this super-snazzy SUV that saved us a LOT of money! (Even though it costs a year's wages to pay for it, we are SO much better than you."

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

To be fair, Chevy didn't really shut down the freeway - they're on a left-sided entrance ramp, which makes it look like it's the middle of the freeway.  That said, I hate the ad and I lurve Mahk.

They still shut down the on ramp though!

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Jaded said:

This one pops up sometimes on different channels that I watch.

That is annoying - the way she says "our first born child" makes me want to tell her getting knocked up isn't deserving a medal.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

This commercial by Skittles grosses me out. >_<

It’s a classic example of an ad that completely doesn’t achieve what the clever ad agency intended.  They are going for a sort of weird/zany fun thing (I guess) but the end result of this ad is that I now can’t eat a skittles without imagining it’s a disease pustule on some (slightly dirty-looking) kid’s face.  It really is quite a disgusting commercial.  Actually even the other ads in the Skittles campaign of the past few years have been quite disturbing.  All the people cursed with the “Skittles touch” where anything they happen to touch instantly turns to Skittles. The afflicted individual is obviously quite perturbed and not at all enjoying their predicament but everyone else is just havin some sweet candy!  It’s horrible and does nothing to make me want Skittles - although I hate the things anyway.  

i just moved in to a new place recently and i’m going “streaming only” no cable so i’m not going to be subjected to nearly as much advertising as in the past.  I won’t miss Chevy’s Beardy McDoe Eyes one bit.  F that guy!

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 11