Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 2/7/2018 at 6:18 PM, millennium said:

These are the same assholes who ingrained "Time to make the donuts" on my generation.   So they'll just have to suffer my indignation.

I hear ya, I really do but I'll take the old school commercials over the new stuff like Mountain Dew "puppymonkeybaby" any day of the week.

27_dunkinfred.w710.h473.jpg

• Love 22
18 hours ago, Eliot said:

I will crawl on my knees and scrabble around the bottom of a supermarket shelf to find any toilet paper brand other than Charmin, that's how much I hate those stupid fucking bears.

That's how I feel about the Snuggle fabric softener bear. 

Maybe they're related.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Aaarrgghh the Dish Remote commercial! "I want to see the move that goes 'Stella! Stella!'" How stupid do you have to be nit to know the name of that movie?

I get the feeling that she really doesn't know what that movie is about.  If she did she would not want to watch it with her children.

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Scientology is recruiting during prime time TV and it's infuriating. 

I feel sick.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Brattinella said:

We haven't seen a Scientology commercial, I guess those of us in flyover country aren't wanted!

10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm on the east coast and I haven't seen any Scientology ads. What channels are these showing up on?

10 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm on the East coast and I saw one on NBC.

10 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

West Coast here and we just had one during the Opening Ceremonies on NBC as well.

It's the same one they ran during the Superbowl. They ran it during the Opening Ceremonies.

I got another one!  Those Sodastream "better bubbles" commercials.  "I get the fizz I crave...but with better bubbles."  What does that even mean?  As though what people crave when they drink pop is just the fizz.  I mean yeah that's part of it, but the sweetness and flavour is at least as important - hence the dozens of different soda pops you can choose from.  If all I want is bubbly water I could just get sparkling water!  Not like it's some amazing new invention.  Bubbly water ain't satisfying anyone's pop craving!

• Love 8
On 2/7/2018 at 6:52 PM, mojoween said:

Two Sundays ago my son came home from work and said “I want a steak, I’m taking you out to TGI Friday’s.”  And it made me realize that I hadn’t seen a Friday’s ad in a really long time and I got nervous because often that means the company is going belly up.

Well, be careful what you wish for.  Since 7 p.m. tonight, I have seen the same Friday’s ad twice during every ad break on both CBS and FOX. 

WTF.  Yes, I like steak.  No, I don’t want two of them.

The Texan in me is appalled at the thought of getting a steak at TGIFridays. 

On 2/8/2018 at 10:10 AM, janie jones said:

I was just about to post about this ad.  It doesn't make sense.  Why does the driver swerve?  He knows the basketball is coming at him; it's not like he was driving down the road and a basketball came out of nowhere.

The driver doesn’t know. The dude bros we’re trying to do a trick shot into the basketball hoop when the truck drove by. The commercial isn’t really clear about that, it took me a few viewings before I figured it out. And it still doesn’t seem to have anything to do with jewelry.

• Love 1
On 1/29/2018 at 12:28 PM, funky-rat said:

Yes!  I'm so ticked about Panera changing to that over easy egg.  Too hard to eat on a sandwich!  Ticks me off!  The only substitute is a yellow scrambled egg like substance that is NOT the same.

I made an over easy sandwich once and when I bit into it the yolk went splattering and flying across the room (and some dribbled down on my face and cloths). Whenever I see that commercial I am reminded of that. I hope those ordering one know you have to bust the yolk first or there are going to be a lot of people sitting across from them with egg yoke all over there face and not to happy about it either!

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

The driver doesn’t know. The dude bros we’re trying to do a trick shot into the basketball hoop when the truck drove by. The commercial isn’t really clear about that, it took me a few viewings before I figured it out. And it still doesn’t seem to have anything to do with jewelry.

Aren't they at like a track or something?  They're not on the road.

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Aren't they at like a track or something?  They're not on the road.

It's a remarkably stupid ad.  It's supposed to be funny I guess, but it's making light of something some dumb kid (or just some dummy of any sort) might actually try.  I actually think it's supposed to be a truck driving by on a road near a b ball court rather than any sort of arranged stunt on a test track.  That's how irresponsible the ad is...

• Love 3
On 2/7/2018 at 10:50 PM, mojoween said:

The Kay Jewelers ad where the one bro throws the basketball at the windshield of a tractor trailer cab is one of the most irresponsible things I have ever seen.  Also, it has jack to do with buying jewelry.

I just saw this for the first time this morning was like "WTF does the beginning off the commercial have to do with jewelry?" It might as well have ended with "at least your taxes are free."

• Love 4

I don’t know if this is a local or national commercial, but there’s one with a pre-teen Lolita type girl, all made up, floating in a swimming pool, eating macarones and watching what looks like a black and white French art house movie on her iPad.  It’s for Verizon Fios.   Why are they using such a young girl in a sexually suggestive way to sell cable tv?   

As far as Dunkin’ Donuts is concerned, if they think they will be successful by only focusing on coffee, they need to think again.  In my area, there are three DD shops within easy driving.  But right across the street from each of them is a Starbucks.  Whenever I drive by any of them, the line for the Starbucks drive through was huge, but there wasn’t one car at DD.  Why do these long standing companies think they have to have all things like every other?  My favorite DD was the chocolate cream filled covered in powered sugar——they no longer make them.  DD started going downhill when they started serving bagels and sandwiches.  Stick to what you do best and quit trying to be all things!!!!!!   BTW, my closest DD is out of donuts by 10am.  Super bad management.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

It's a remarkably stupid ad.  It's supposed to be funny I guess, but it's making light of something some dumb kid (or just some dummy of any sort) might actually try.  I actually think it's supposed to be a truck driving by on a road near a b ball court rather than any sort of arranged stunt on a test track.  That's how irresponsible the ad is...

Well then on top of everything else it's poorly made.  You can tell they're on a test track and it never occurred to me that they were trying to make it seem real.

• Love 1
On 2/6/2018 at 8:35 PM, LillyB said:

As a baby boomer, I have to say I am getting very annoyed with all the ads telling me to get tested for Hep C. I have never done anything that would put me a risk for it.

That commercial's wording has been changed; it used to say something like, "Ask your doctor to take a test for Hep C." I remember wondering why the hell my doctor would take medical advice from me.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Well then on top of everything else it's poorly made.  You can tell they're on a test track and it never occurred to me that they were trying to make it seem real.

I've only seen the ad once, so you're probably right.  Still, the one time I saw it it wasn't particularly clear they were on any sort of closed area, and even if they were the whole idea is still pretty irresponsible and dumb for a jewelry store ad...

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They should remove the word "donut" from their company name. And I guess "dunkin" too. Just call it Mediocre Coffee and be done with it.

Dunkin' Donuts coffee is crack.  It's the anti-Starbucks coffee.  I frequently forget they even make donuts--I just go in for my fix.

• Love 2
On 2/9/2018 at 3:26 PM, Silver Raven said:

This commercial is just ridiculous.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wRwM/febreze-one-fabric-and-air-mist-spray-and-stay

And can we talk about the raw wood planks that make up the stair railings in that one house?

All I know is that I laughed and laughed at that lady's feet when she goes over the railing!

I got another one!  Those Sodastream "better bubbles" commercials.  "I get the fizz I crave...but with better bubbles."  What does that even mean?  As though what people crave when they drink pop is just the fizz.  I mean yeah that's part of it, but the sweetness and flavour is at least as important - hence the dozens of different soda pops you can choose from.  If all I want is bubbly water I could just get sparkling water!  Not like it's some amazing new invention.  Bubbly water ain't satisfying anyone's pop craving!

I don't drink regular soda, but I drink a ton plain seltzer, and two separate people just this week told me about Sodastream's superior bubbles!

Edited by TattleTeeny
On 2/4/2018 at 3:27 PM, tanyak said:

I know Panera is healthy/clean/whatever.  But lately, I also find it incredibly expensive for what it is.  

IA, it's one reason I don't go as much anymore.  Panera used to be a big deal in my house, lol.  Fresh food, nice staff, and it wasn't the normal fast food type items.  So the pricing felt fair for what I was getting.  But now, the long waits, errors in orders, constantly switching up the menu, and the decreasing quality of the food mean the price matters to me now, because the food no longer seems worth it.  I once paid $16 for a pick two meal, a pop, and a coffee.  I was reading at the restaurant, and I didn't want to just sit there, so I got a coffee as well.  Never again.  One night out there will put a dent in your wallet.  As for the wait time, the staff is still very nice, but it takes forever for even a small order.  Now they have a staff member yelling out orders at the pickup line, because they're so backed up and there's a long line of dishes waiting.  

Millennium, sorry for your terrible experience at Dunkin Donuts.  I'm more troubled by the corporate's apathy than the manager's.  These people at the stores are representing the brand, so the whole "we can't do anything about that" just makes me mad.  But I think lack of CSR training is a DD thing.  I would understand in the early morning when it's insanely busy, but this happens all the time.  The one near me usually screws up with my coffee.  I often get plain instead of whatever creamer I requested, or they'll throw the donuts in a bag and the icing will be smeared on the bottom, instead of on the donut itself.  I finally had to start asking for them to place them on top of each other, or just wrap them in tissue paper.

Co-sign with these Extra gum commercials.  Extra, indeed.  I have a feeling they blew their ad budget on this campaign, because it's been running nonstop and I am sick of this twee love affair and these stupid gum-wrapper drawings.  

• Love 3

I didn't know we had a new DD in our neighborhood until I read it on the City Police's FB page. They claim the cops go there for the coffee.  Sure, they do. 

I worked with a woman who's kid was named Duncan. His email addy was "notadonut@(whatever)"  He'll have to change that to "notacupofcoffee"  My favorite was the Dunkin' Donut - the cake doughnut with the extra "handle" on it to hold onto it whilst dunking. Looked like a Q. Extra bite (or two) for the same price!!  I haven't seen that one in ages, either.

23 hours ago, Brattinella said:

We haven't seen a Scientology commercial, I guess those of us in flyover country aren't wanted!

Speaking of Scientology and flyovers ... I visited Washington DC in 1975.   I was in 7th grade.   As I stood outside the Jefferson Memorial, a skywriting plane flew overhead and spelled out:  READ DIANETICS.

It was years before I understood what that was all about.

• Love 4

I remember seeing a commercial for "Dianetics" a lot when I was a kid. I seem to recall it involved a lot of images of volcanic lava spewing out in the background or something.

But yeah, I had no clue what that was all about, either :p. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

As far as Dunkin’ Donuts is concerned, if they think they will be successful by only focusing on coffee, they need to think again.  In my area, there are three DD shops within easy driving.  But right across the street from each of them is a Starbucks.  Whenever I drive by any of them, the line for the Starbucks drive through was huge, but there wasn’t one car at DD.  Why do these long standing companies think they have to have all things like every other?  My favorite DD was the chocolate cream filled covered in powered sugar——they no longer make them.  DD started going downhill when they started serving bagels and sandwiches.  Stick to what you do best and quit trying to be all things!!!!!!   BTW, my closest DD is out of donuts by 10am.  Super bad management.  

I know my litany of complaints against Dunkin Donuts seems endless, but your post reminded me that my recent order of a cinnamon donut at DD was rebuffed by "We don't have cinnamon donuts anymore."

To quote Jerry Seinfeld:

People love cinnamon. It should be on tables at restaurants along with salt and pepper. Anytime anyone says, "Oh This is so good. What's in it?" The answer invariably comes back, Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Again and again.

But my Dunkin Donuts no longer has cinnamon donuts.   I got the same sobering reply at a DD in a neighboring state.   The cinnamon donut has gone to Donut Valhalla, to take its place in the Great Hall of Donuts alongside lemon-filled, the Dunkin Donut (with the handle) and another recent casualty, the Jelly Stick.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, millennium said:

I know my litany of complaints against Dunkin Donuts seems endless, but your post reminded me that my recent order of a cinnamon donut at DD was rebuffed by "We don't have cinnamon donuts anymore."

To quote Jerry Seinfeld:

But my Dunkin Donuts no longer has cinnamon donuts.   I got the same sobering reply at a DD in a neighboring state.   The cinnamon donut has gone to Donut Valhalla, to take its place in the Great Hall of Donuts alongside lemon-filled, the Dunkin Donut (with the handle) and another recent casualty, the Jelly Stick.

This is very disappointing.  How hard is it to have a bowl of sugar and mix cinnamon into it?  I used to keep a jar of it in my pantry; a favorite food of my childhood.

• Love 4

I don't drink coffee, so I don't have a dog in the fight. There is a Starbucks in a strip mall that is next to a stand alone Dunkin off a three lane highway. On the rare occasion I'm out around 8 am, the Starbucks has a line, but it's off the highway so it doesn't block traffic. The Dunkin has a line blocking the right hand lane.

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

IA, it's one reason I don't go as much anymore.  Panera used to be a big deal in my house, lol.  Fresh food, nice staff, and it wasn't the normal fast food type items.  So the pricing felt fair for what I was getting.  But now, the long waits, errors in orders, constantly switching up the menu, and the decreasing quality of the food mean the price matters to me now, because the food no longer seems worth it.  I once paid $16 for a pick two meal, a pop, and a coffee. \

Pick 2 never used to be that expensive. There was a selection of salads, sandwiches and soups, you pick 2 and the total was a set amount. You could select a more premium option for a dollar or two more. Now it seems like each item is only slightly cheaper than it's full portion counterpart.

If you have a Newks or Corner Bakery in your area I recommend them instead. I just discovered Newks, being new to GA and they blow Panera out of the water.

52 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I remember seeing a commercial for "Dianetics" a lot when I was a kid. I seem to recall it involved a lot of images of volcanic lava spewing out in the background or something.

But yeah, I had no clue what that was all about, either :p. 

I remember that commercial too! And since I was an avid reader I think I was interested. Mom must have put her foot down that it was above my age range, despite me reading Tom Clancy, Stephen King and VC Andrews during 6th - 8th grade (but never Sweet Valley High, that was too risque and I'd have to wait until I was older).

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Pick 2 never used to be that expensive. There was a selection of salads, sandwiches and soups, you pick 2 and the total was a set amount. You could select a more premium option for a dollar or two more. Now it seems like each item is only slightly cheaper than it's full portion counterpart.

If you have a Newks or Corner Bakery in your area I recommend them instead. I just discovered Newks, being new to GA and they blow Panera out of the water.

I remember that commercial too! And since I was an avid reader I think I was interested. Mom must have put her foot down that it was above my age range, despite me reading Tom Clancy, Stephen King and VC Andrews during 6th - 8th grade (but never Sweet Valley High, that was too risque and I'd have to wait until I was older).

Your mother approved of VC Andrews? But not Sweet Valley High?

• Love 9
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Your mother approved of VC Andrews? But not Sweet Valley High?

She had no idea what the content was. I suspect she was literally judging the SVH books by their covers.

32 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I swear, V.C. Andrews was like a rite of passage for "underage" girls! We all did it, it seems, and no one's parents gave a shit, haha! Someone needs to write a sociological study about this!

I wonder how they sell these days, I certainly wouldn't let my kids (if I had any) read them, if only by telling them did.

• Love 3

I buy them sometimes to read between my "real" books (lots of nonfiction and crime-related stuff). They're not as good (or..."good"), very formulaic, overwrought yet flat, and perfect for mindless consumption. 

My parents probably didn't know what was in V.C.'s books but also wouldn't likely have cared; I've always loved Stephen King, and also read The Exorcist and Helter Skelter pre-junior high and those loons didn't bat an eye (I was not a very supervised child).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

I was so surprised by a commercial I saw the other night.  It was for Book of the Month Club.   I thought the BOTMC went away when Barnes and Noble came into being and especially when e-readers started.  But there it was, touting the service that sends you a new bestseller every month.  It's an ok commercial, but will the younger generations go for this?    So what will be next?   Will we be seeing commercials for the old Columbia Records Album of the Month Club?  

When I was in high school, my friends passed around The Godfather and Valley of the Dolls, covered in the brown paper from a grocery bag (we covered all our textbooks in that), so that it looked like a textbook.  Then, when we were supposed to be at the statewide Senior Retreat, there we were trying to get into the local art house theater to see Valley of the Dolls.  Didn't happen because we weren't 21.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 1

Thank dog there's a new Chevy focus group commercial! Said no one ever. Chevy Douche is chilling on some farmland with parents and kids and asking the kids which truck they'd want their mom and dad to buy if the kids knew it would be passed down to them. Of course, Chevy Douche disses the Ford truck and hypes the Chevy vehicle. Lo and behold, all the kids chose the Chevy. At this point, if my parents offered me their Chevy truck, I would have to assume they hated me. 

The only upside to this new commercial is the inevitable Mahk video. 

• Love 5