Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, backformore said:

ETA: I understand that some people are interested in getting this info. My family member who did the test used the company " 23 and me" because it also screened for genetic health markers.

I asked a colleague of mine who these ancestry websites use to do their DNA analysis (DNA labs are expensive, you don't rent a warehouse and buy a couple of pieces of equipment and run samples, they cost millions of dollars to build and run). He told me 23 and me uses LabCorp. According to their web site they have all the proper accreditations so should have all the required quality assurance and quality procedures in place to give good results.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm happy calling them "idiots" - the Yogurt Idiot, the IKEA "START THE CAR" Idiot, the Dilly Dilly Idiots. It's a pan-gender epithet.

Yes; it insults them for what they do, which is what's at issue, not their gender, which isn't, no more than their race or sexual orientation would be if it was a man of color or a gay man who happened to be doing the annoying. 

• Love 8

Since there isn't a thread for "how I amuse myself making fun of commercials," I'll put it here. If I didn't make fun of late night stupid commercials, I'd be annoyed. Saw one for Growth Factor Number Nine, some kind of male testosterone/strength enhancement or something, I stopped hearing after the Number Nine and starting singing, "selling little bottles of love potion number nine."

• Love 13
5 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Since there isn't a thread for "how I amuse myself making fun of commercials," I'll put it here. If I didn't make fun of late night stupid commercials, I'd be annoyed. Saw one for Growth Factor Number Nine, some kind of male testosterone/strength enhancement or something, I stopped hearing after the Number Nine and starting singing, "selling little bottles of love potion number nine."

I would've started in on "Revolution Number Nine," with that intonation of "number nine, number nine" moving from one speaker to the other. Always thought that was exceedingly creepy. And loved it!

• Love 6
On 12/18/2017 at 10:12 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Da FUCK? You mean they're actors playing cancer patients? FUCK THAT NOISE. Now I don't have to feel guilty or manipulated, because they're using ACTORS and not real people.

Yes, it's true. How do I know this? Because the  guy in their commercial is such a shitty actor....it's SO obvious he's not a "real" person who really has cancer

• Love 5
17 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Can we stop calling women in commercials "bitches"? (Yogurt bitch, etc.) It's clearly meant as an insult to women in general and has a misogynistic undertone. There's no male equivalent, or if there is, it's not been used in the commercial threads.

I suppose there's not much occasion to use 'mansplaining', since most men in commercials are as dumb as stones. The moron in the Domino's commercial who sees a tree fall on his car and panics because his stupid pizza might be ruined is a perfect example of it. Because men only care about something that's easily replaced, not the however many hundred of dollars of damage that was just done to their vehicle.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 8
On 12/27/2017 at 10:37 AM, chessiegal said:

The article talked about triplets getting different results, not twins, let alone identical twins. Triplets could all be fraternal and therefore you'd expect different results.

The Doctors did a DNA test with identical triplets.  The results varied only in the percentage of each nationality represented.  They all had the same result otherwise.  It was a reasonable margin of error.  

On 12/27/2017 at 11:02 AM, proserpina65 said:

Oh, I hate her too.  And the guy who ditches his lederhosen for a kilt.

Stupid and though the DNA tests are not accurate I doubt they are that far afield. 

On 12/27/2017 at 1:32 PM, Nowhere said:

The Jergens commercial with Leslie Mann and her daughter drives me insane. The way the daughter says, "Mom, I'm twenTeeeeee." Emphasis on the T sound big time. Listen, Apatows. If your daughters make it bigger than your own shitty movies and Jergens commercials, I'll be really surprised. 

Leslie Mann is a terrible actor!  And horrible at improv which Bridesmaids illustrated.

My all time worst commercial is running again.  In hospice you are supposed to make people comfortable as they move toward death, not save them from the normal passage we all make!  Don't you dare die, Berta, even though you are here to do just that.  

• Love 9

OK - here's my latest contribution.  And it's about the commercial - not the cause.

The World Wildlife Foundation's about elephants and tigers.  Especially the one that focuses on an incredibly beautiful tiger and adds a bullet audio.

These spots sneak up on you, and I can't grab the remote fast enough.  They really ruin my day (and I've supported animal causes my entire life)

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

OK - here's my latest contribution.  And it's about the commercial - not the cause.

The World Wildlife Foundation's about elephants and tigers.  Especially the one that focuses on an incredibly beautiful tiger and adds a bullet audio.

These spots sneak up on you, and I can't grab the remote fast enough.  They really ruin my day (and I've supported animal causes my entire life)

100+ likes!  I agree and work with animals, too. 

• Love 2
On 12/29/2017 at 8:35 PM, LillyB said:

I am hating the Jergen's mom, the woman who is shilling for Clorex and the Tregaliga  schlub.

I think the Nora Dunn Clorox ads are cringeworthy - she's bullying people into using the product, and if they were going for "funny", they really needed to be over-the-top ridiculous with it.  Instead, it just comes off creepy.

I don't know what Tregaliga is?  Is it some kind of pharmaceutical?

• Love 2

I'm not exactly sure what the commercial is for, but there's a cancer patient standing in a kitchen talking about how much the service benefits her.  She's fucking obnoxious.  Couldn't they find someone less off-putting?  She's probably an actress.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 3

Hey, Southwest Airlines. While I have no opinion of your product, I do feel that "transfarency" is not a real word. It's a terrible, made-up word that you are apparently going to beat into the ground. I could maybe overlook that, but now you're telling me that behind every seat number is a story, a moving human drama accompanied by a twee, breathy, affectation-laden voice warbling about the places you will go. I just really don't like sap. 

Chevy: a real person in their douche-directed focus groups explains the variety of trucks thusly: "you've got the basic and you've got the beefy." Sure, dude. It's totally not embarrassing to describe a vehicle as beefy. And now Chevy brings us real employees, not actors! to share their employee discount with us. Can I get a savory sports car with that? A creamy sedan? 

• Love 9

Why is it that the ASPCA, Humane society, St. Jude's and the Shriners are all asking for a 19.00 a month donation.  It seems like such a random amount. Before I donate to any of them, I want to know the amount that goes to the charity and how much is used for fundraising.

• Love 10

"It's a bogo free phone, bro!" Is that what they're saying? Bogo? What the hell are they saying first of all? second, they are so annoying I can't even hate watch the commercial. And when the woman working joins in the douchbaggery by repeating whatever they said with them, it's more than I can handle. NOBODY acts like that and it's not cute. 

• Love 8
Just now, Nowhere said:

"It's a bogo free phone, bro!" Is that what they're saying? Bogo? What the hell are they saying first of all? second, they are so annoying I can't even hate watch the commercial. And when the woman working joins in the douchbaggery by repeating whatever they said with them, it's more than I can handle. NOBODY acts like that and it's not cute. 

Bogo means "buy one, get one."

• Love 2

There's some annoying holiday car commercial with a couple fighting brats in the back seat. Instead of pulling over and smacking them, dad hands them each a candy cane. Yes.. Let's reward them for crappy behavior. Ugh. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

There's some annoying holiday car commercial with a couple fighting brats in the back seat. Instead of pulling over and smacking them, dad hands them each a candy cane. Yes.. Let's reward them for crappy behavior. Ugh. 

With sugar no less. Did the people who wrote this commercial have children? I think not.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Hopefully, they've pulled the yogurt bitch's commercial for good because I never want to see her again. 

Since we are now in weight loss season, I wouldn't be surprised to see those commercials again soon.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

When my nephews were little, they did this...all the way from Miami to Disney World. My brother told them to knock it off. They didn't. Once they checked into the hotel, the boys were still at it, i.e., "he's looking at me!" so my brother packed everything up and checked 'em out of the hotel and they drove back home in complete silence. The kids *never* acted up in the car again.  Alex will be 40 this year and he STILL mentions it every now and then.

• Love 21
17 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'm not exactly sure what the commercial is for, but there's a cancer patient standing in a kitchen talking about how much the service benefits her.  She's fucking obnoxious.  Couldn't they find someone less off-putting?  She's probably an actress.

Do you mean this ad?

Her name is Vivian Dominguez and yes, she is an actress.  But she also has breast cancer.

https://vivavivian.org/

17 hours ago, LillyB said:

Why is it that the ASPCA, Humane society, St. Jude's and the Shriners are all asking for a 19.00 a month donation.  It seems like such a random amount. Before I donate to any of them, I want to know the amount that goes to the charity and how much is used for fundraising.

Can't speak to the others, but St Jude's gets an 88.7% rating from Charity Navigator.  I have 2 friends who work at St. Jude's, and a few friends whose children were patients there, and it's a very good organization.  I donate to them every year.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When my nephews were little, they did this...all the way from Miami to Disney World. My brother told them to knock it off. They didn't. Once they checked into the hotel, the boys were still at it, i.e., "he's looking at me!" so my brother packed everything up and checked 'em out of the hotel and they drove back home in complete silence. The kids *never* acted up in the car again.  Alex will be 40 this year and he STILL mentions it every now and then.

And, THAT, my friends, is the right way to parent.

• Love 19
30 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think it used to mean "buy one, get one free" but now it means "buy one, get one half off". And I blame Payless Shoes.

It DID used to mean buy one get one free.  Payless Shoes sucks.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I did the same thing. It wasn't Disney, it was just the county fair but they faught the whole way there. I pulled into the parking lot, told them if they kept fighting we were leaving. They stopped for as long as it took to get out of the car then they started again. I opened the trunk, put everything back inside and we came home.  Any time one of them would act up in the car, the other would remind them "don't forget what happened at the fair". Thankfully, my daughter is raising her kids the same way. I don't deal with brats. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 21
35 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

I opened the trunk, put everything back inside and we came home. 

I might have been tempted to put them in the trunk and drive home...I guess it's good that I never had any kids. ;-)

• Love 20
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think it used to mean "buy one, get one free" but now it means "buy one, get one half off". And I blame Payless Shoes.

I don't think it's so specific as to mean by one get one half off.  The second item could be any discount:  It could be buy one, get one at $15.  The way I've seen it used, BOGO really is just an acronym for "buy one get one" and the deal on the second one is specified.

• Love 2

11 HOURS AGO, PREVAILING WIND SAID:

I did the same thing. It wasn't Disney, it was just the county fair but they faught the whole way there. I pulled into the parking lot, told them if they kept fighting we were leaving. They stopped for as long as it took to get out of the car then they started again. I opened the trunk, put everything back inside and we came home.  Any time one of them would act up in the car, the other would remind them "don't forget what happened at the fair". Thankfully, my daughter is raising her kids the same way. I don't deal with brats. 

commenting on small talk

Hey Candy Crush, I know you want us to see them as boring and pathetic, but I am totally on the sides of the people with the utterly disinterested "nope" to the random stranger asking if they know how it feels to finally feed their endorphin addiction beat a level on the game.

• Love 9

The latest Chevy "real people" commercials have them sitting at a table out on a freeway, talking about how it sucks to be stranded

I really wish I would have been there when they taped that, so I could run my car over those people  and maybe end it all

What is surprising is everyone seems to HATE those commercials, where somehow they turn "real people" into something that seems more fake than if they just used actors, but THEY KEEP RUNNING THEM AND MAKING NEW ONES.  Who on earth is giving them the feedback that these commercials work and should continue?

• Love 15
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Who on earth is giving them the feedback that these commercials work and should continue?

The same people who host the ads, with the weird reality distortion field that makes the "real people" not want to disappoint them, are running the focus groups for the ads?

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, Wings said:

The Doctors did a DNA test with identical triplets.  The results varied only in the percentage of each nationality represented.  They all had the same result otherwise.  It was a reasonable margin of error.  

Stupid and though the DNA tests are not accurate I doubt they are that far afield. 

Leslie Mann is a terrible actor!  And horrible at improv which Bridesmaids illustrated.

My all time worst commercial is running again.  In hospice you are supposed to make people comfortable as they move toward death, not save them from the normal passage we all make!  Don't you dare die, Berta, even though you are here to do just that.  

IKR?! Let her go if she wants to go, don't close the window on her u b!tch!

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:25 PM, Nowhere said:

I thought the "Jersey Shore" thing went out of fashion several years ago. It was annoying then, and it's still annoying.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, Brattinella said:

And the Chevy SUPERDOUCHE!

Yeah, there's a new one with the "real people, not actors" sitting on an interstate off-ramp discussing their feelings about being stranded on a crowded freeway.

• Love 3

Hey Candy Crush, I know you want us to see them as boring and pathetic, but I am totally on the sides of the people with the utterly disinterested "nope" to the random stranger asking if they know how it feels to finally feed their endorphin addiction beat a level on the game.

Yes, apparently when you beat a level in Candy Crush, you have visions of a Rip Taylor inspired Mardi Gras float or that your cat is suddenly Evel Knievel. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

Yes, apparently when you beat a level in Candy Crush, you have visions of a Rip Taylor inspired Mardi Gras float or that your cat is suddenly Evel Knievel. 

I don't get those ads.  When I play a game, and I can't get past a level for a certain period of time, I just uninstall it.  I guess I'm not as patient as others.

Have to say, though, I do like the one with the cat crashing through the wall.  I lol at that one.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, HipOldBat said:

I don't get those ads.  When I play a game, and I can't get past a level for a certain period of time, I just uninstall it.  I guess I'm not as patient as others.

Have to say, though, I do like the one with the cat crashing through the wall.  I lol at that one.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

What is surprising is everyone seems to HATE those commercials, where somehow they turn "real people" into something that seems more fake than if they just used actors, but THEY KEEP RUNNING THEM AND MAKING NEW ONES.  Who on earth is giving them the feedback that these commercials work and should continue?

Seriously who??? Isn't there anyway to let them (the people who ok these adds) know how much we hate their adds and how ineffective they are?

• Love 4