Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I always try to imagine an ad like this where a MAN was doing the shoving, and how the viewers would like that.

I never even noticed her shoving him.  People can all watch the same commercial and see different things.  All I remember was her screaming.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

The Senokot commercial where the hubby is strangely fascinated by his wife's digestive issues. I thought it had run its course, but it's baaack. I just want it to go away.

Seriously.  It is the WIFE who annoys me the most, though.  She is almost gagging, getting the words out!  How, in this day and age, is this STILL such a delicate matter we can barely speak of it? Jeez, everyone poops, ya know?

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:08 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I hate this grinning idiot:

I will always remember him for playing pyschos, like in Scream.

There's a new "real people" ad from Chevy in which the douchebag is asking people to chose which, to their horror, of their friends is "most dependable". Gimme a break.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I will always remember him for playing pyschos, like in Scream.

Are you thinking that's Matthew Lillard?  Once you mentioned Scream, I could see a resemblance, but unless I'm way off, that's not him.

2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Seriously.  It is the WIFE who annoys me the most, though.  She is almost gagging, getting the words out!  How, in this day and age, is this STILL such a delicate matter we can barely speak of it? Jeez, everyone poops, ya know?

And on late night TV and retro channels, everyone poops into a Cologard box. Which, on top of its annoying ubiquity and perkiness (Yes. A perky box asking you to poop into it), doesn't even make sense: regardless of which result you get, it tells you to see your doctor. So why would you bother with mailing in your poop?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jamoche said:

And on late night TV and retro channels, everyone poops into a Cologard box. Which, on top of its annoying ubiquity and perkiness (Yes. A perky box asking you to poop into it), doesn't even make sense: regardless of which result you get, it tells you to see your doctor. So why would you bother with mailing in your poop?

I'd do a lot more than poop in a box to avoid a colonoscopy. 

• Love 14
26 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'd do a lot more than poop in a box to avoid a colonoscopy. 

I'm pretty fast on the mute these days, but I'm pretty sure it said you'll get one anyway. They're pitching this at people who are at-risk for colon cancer, so whichever result you get the doc still has to confirm it.

15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

No, what they're pitching is a less invasive test for people with no family history of colon cancer. It's an alternative to a colonoscopy for people who are at low risk.

Exactly. I have a family history of colon cancer, so am not eligible for Cologuard. I've had  3 colonoscopies, and had benign polyps that could have become cancerous removed each time. It's such an unpleasant preparation, I wish I could just have some DNA + presence of blood tested. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Jamoche said:

I'm pretty fast on the mute these days, but I'm pretty sure it said you'll get one anyway. They're pitching this at people who are at-risk for colon cancer, so whichever result you get the doc still has to confirm it.

My husband is a cardiac patient and is doing quite well with skatey-eight prescription meds, some of which are blood thinners. I mention this because we have worried for the past few years about him not getting a colonoscopy. That would involve stopping his meds for a while and/or running the risks of clots or hemorrhaging.  So we just procrastinated. Anyway, he was finally approved for the cologuard test and it was so much better than worrying about him bleeding after a colonoscopy. I'm sure there are procedures for that possibility but then again it's not like I could tourniquet him or anything. We have heard of perforations, etc. happening.  It is pretty expensive if you pay out of pocket - $650- but if you qualify some insurance covers most of it. At least we haven't gotten a bill so far.  The results were sent to his doc and she called with the news that he was all clear. So it was great for him compared to the alternatives.

It does help to have a sense of humor about the whole cologuard experience though. We didn't want to have UPS pickup since we had a UPS store one town over, and there is a very definite time frame you must work within. Anyhow the UPS store I remembered had closed so we had to chauffeur his sample around central CT for 45 minutes to get to another store. It was kind of like a Mister Hankey adventure (South Park) LOL

Sorry for the TMI

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 10
On 9/27/2017 at 7:48 PM, Ebonner228 said:

As a self-diagnosed sufferer of misophonia, I cannot stand the T-mobile/Netflix commercial. I can't get to the mute button fast enough. Why is this even allowed on TV?! 

I was watching some channel yesterday and this ad came on at least once every commercial break. Dingdingdingdingding! Whhommmm. Dingdingdingdingding! Whhommmm. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one for whom it has a cringey, negative effect. 

On 9/30/2017 at 1:36 PM, theredhead77 said:

I hate the Natalie Portman Dior commercial. I'd hate it less if it didn't show her shoving whoever the man in the relationship is.

She looks so beautiful in this ad, but it's one of the most random ads on TV right now. What would you do for love? Apparently, she'd jump off a pier, dive into the ocean, cling to some sort of rail, take the bus home, get a hotel with an awesome view of the Eiffel Tower, do donuts on a beach... 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Jamoche said:

You have to see (call) your doctor to order the kit for you, you can't just pick one up on your own.  I feel sorry for the poor shlubs who have to open these things.  That's got to be one of the worst jobs in the world.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Are you thinking that's Matthew Lillard?  Once you mentioned Scream, I could see a resemblance, but unless I'm way off, that's not him.

So that's his name? Yeah, looks like him to me, but I remember him being blonde for some reason.

It's been discussed before, but this ad Untuckit is so pretentious that it borders on parody. 

You didn't cure cancer dude! You took something that has been around for centuries and made a couple of alterations.  

• Love 15
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

You didn't cure cancer dude! You took something that has been around for centuries and made a couple of alterations.

He didn't even do anything new; he's just the first to think it's worth advertising, rather than just put them in stores for anyone who wants them.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

He didn't even do anything new; he's just the first to think it's worth advertising, rather than just put them in stores for anyone who wants them.

And as countless women can tell him, making a shirt too short to tuck in (even though you want to) has been done as a cost-cutting measure for ages.

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 7

I don't think this is been discussed yet, but the Wells Fargo ad with the two women in the taxi and one realizes that she left her debit card at the restaurant.  The friend is all concerned and wants to go back, but the woman who lost the card is smiling like a nut and trying to show her friend that she can turn her card off through the app. 

Don't get me wrong. That's a great feature. But as someone who's lost her debit card before, not having it is a pain in the ass. It takes about a week to 10 days to come, you need to get in the bank and withdraw money if you don't have another way to get to your cash, etc.  I can understand having an expression of relief that nobody can get to your account, but I wouldn't be grinning like a fool, either. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, topanga said:

I'm really tired of the Hyundai 'Sweet Caroline' commercials. I actually used to like the commercial, but the stations here play it ad nauseam. 

I loved the commercial. But I can see getting tired of hearing it after a while.

• Love 4

This commercial for Kyleena a birth control IUD has been discussed before I know. It seems to be in heavy rotation again. I find myself going between feelings of annoyance, anger and frustration everytime I see the weird and scrunched up faces the women make.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You know, one of things I like about this place is someone can use "ad nauseam" correctly & no idiot tries to "correct" it by saying, "nauseum."

It's also a very fitting phrase to use in a forum about annoying ads, although I don't think any would literally bring you to the point of (ad) nausea.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Jaded said:

This commercial for Kyleena a birth control IUD has been discussed before I know. It seems to be in heavy rotation again. I find myself going between feelings of annoyance, anger and frustration everytime I see the weird and scrunched up faces the women make.

I wonder where that woman at the airport was planning on going, and what she was planning on doing.

• Love 1

Oh my god, these Lime-a-Rita commercials with these insufferable "whoo! girls" are killing me. First of all, those "a-Ritas" are gross (though I suppose they'll do in a pinch, haha!) but, worse, the oh-so-crazy antics ("one of THOSE nights") described in the commercials are SO LAME! Seriously, I am in my mid-40s and my wild nights are less bland than those of these fools.

• Love 8

The Allstate (?) guy who leaves the toilet seat up in retaliation for his family ignoring him as he drives is back, and I'm not sure whether this is a new commercial, or a shortened version of the first commercial focusing on something I didn't notice the first time around, but this time he's talking about the discount (or maybe cash back thing) he gets and doesn't share "with Mom."  And then he glances at his wife (who, of course, has headphones in her ears and is ignoring him) and asks, "Right, Mom?" 

I find that FAR more creepy than his passive-aggressive toilet seat revenge.  Referring to your wife/husband as Mom/Dad when talking to your children is completely harmless to me - e.g. saying "Go tell Mom dinner is ready" rather than "Go tell your mom dinner is ready" - but referring to them that way when talking to anyone else, and, especially, directly addressing them as Mom or Dad makes me shudder.

• Love 1

Ugh, like the "Dr. Mom" cough medicine commercial...which wouldn't have been gross if "Dr. Mom" had been administering to a child. But no, there were no kids in sight; it was her husband (who, for whatever reason, couldn't get up for his own cough medicine)!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

That reminds me of the Sucrets commercial from the 70s with the man waking up his wife in the middle of the night whining that “I can’t sleep with this cold,” and she says, “All right, I’ll get the aspirin and Sucrets.”

”Aspirin?  And Sucrets?” he asks dumbly, as if he’s never heard of either of them before, and she patiently explains that the aspirin is for his aches and fever, and Sucrets for his sore throat.  In the final scene, he’s out like a light and she’s playing solitaire, saying “I’m glad one of us can sleep!”  I would have told him to get it his damn self!

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 9

And it's made worse when the mom just tilts her head with that kind and gentle smile--you know, the same one that she uses when she comes home to dumb "Dad" ruining the entire kitchen just because he had to "babysit" his own kid for an hour.

• Love 5

I wonder where that woman at the airport was planning on going, and what she was planning on doing.

Maybe she had planned on joining the mile high club.

All the women in that commercial appear to be brain cell deficient.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Allstate (?) guy who leaves the toilet seat up in retaliation for his family ignoring him as he drives is back, and I'm not sure whether this is a new commercial, or a shortened version of the first commercial focusing on something I didn't notice the first time around, but this time he's talking about the discount (or maybe cash back thing) he gets and doesn't share "with Mom."  And then he glances at his wife (who, of course, has headphones in her ears and is ignoring him) and asks, "Right, Mom?" 

I find that FAR more creepy than his passive-aggressive toilet seat revenge.  Referring to your wife/husband as Mom/Dad when talking to your children is completely harmless to me - e.g. saying "Go tell Mom dinner is ready" rather than "Go tell your mom dinner is ready" - but referring to them that way when talking to anyone else, and, especially, directly addressing them as Mom or Dad makes me shudder.

Sorry but I think he's adorable.

5 hours ago, smittykins said:

That reminds me of the Sucrets commercial from the 70s with the man waking up his wife in the middle of the night whining that “I can’t sleep with this cold,” and she says, “All right, I’ll get the aspirin and Sucrets.”

”Aspirin?  And Sucrets?” he asks dumbly, as if he’s never heard of either of them before, and she patiently explains that the aspirin is for his aches and fever, and Sucrets for his sore throat.  In the final scene, he’s out like a light and she’s playing solitaire, saying “I’m glad one of us can sleep!”  I would have told him to get it his damn self!

Grrr, I remember hating that commercial for the very reasons you state. I put it up there with Wisk commercial where the guy has ring around the collar and he glares at his wife because clearly this is all her fault and not because maybe he should wash his filthy neck and the fabric softener one where the MIL says to her son "I see one of your wife's (obviously inferior) fabric softener sheet is stuck to your back."

• Love 10

I can take or leave the Progressive insurance ads with Flo, depending on which ones I see on the air, but am I the only one getting an "All About Eve" vibe from Jamie nowadays? Like, he started out as the affable sidekick, but now he stars in his own commercials. The online radio I listen to feature a lot of Progressive ads just with him. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I can take or leave the Progressive insurance ads with Flo, depending on which ones I see on the air, but am I the only one getting an "All About Eve" vibe from her  Jamie nowadays? Like, he started out as the affable sidekick, but now he stars in his own. The online radio I listen to feature a lot of Progressive ads just with him. 

I think he's cute, especially in the one where he's trying to explain to the guy at the desk who he is.  "I trained you."

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I can take or leave the Progressive insurance ads with Flo, depending on which ones I see on the air, but am I the only one getting an "All About Eve" vibe from Jamie nowadays? Like, he started out as the affable sidekick, but now he stars in his own commercials. The online radio I listen to feature a lot of Progressive ads just with him. 

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let this mean that they're GETTING RID OF FLO AT LONG LAST! I'm not really a fan of Jamie but virtually ANYone has to be an improvement over Flo, [IMO, natch]!

• Love 4

There is an ad in Australia right now for a healthy pre-made food range called Youfoodz that features a little kid playing a Gordon Ramsey-like chef with The Good Place style substitutions for the swearing associated with Ramsey. It is highly obnoxious.

This is the short version, a 30 second version airs on TV.

3 hours ago, GenieinTX said:

Am I the only one massively disturbed by the Rooms to go ad with kids singing "My Stuff" to the tune of "My Humps?"  All I can hear is "my lovely lady lumps".  Ugh Fergie, did you really need that commercial money?

And I disagree that the Amazon/Dog/Lion ad song is the worst song ever.  I vote for this one, that song is horrible!  https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w2FC/snhu-break-the-cycle-song-by-twin-bandit

What is it with all of the whiny female singers in ads these days?

• Love 6

We've discussed the dad who "pinkie-promised" his little girl's b'day party, only to be ruined by a septic tank incident, right?  Didja notice the septic tank dude is the guy on the zipline "now that I'm fiftttyyyyyyyyyy" ? I happen to loathe both commercials, but I don't think it's because he's a common factor. I'd hate 'em even if they had Harrison Ford in them.

• Love 2
On ‎09‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:18 PM, Jaded said:

I'm so tired of that ABC Thursday night lineup commercial with that "Look What You Made Me Do" song by Miss Swift. 

I hate the commercial, but now I kinda like the song.

On ‎09‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:18 PM, Jaded said:

I'm so tired of that ABC Thursday night lineup commercial with that "Look What You Made Me Do" song by Miss Swift. 

I hate the commercial, but now I kinda like the song.

• Love 1