Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, StarlitPie said:

So it's taken this damn commercial to finally get me to create an account...but man do I hate the new Johnsonville sausage commercial - the one with the 70's style throwback game show where the guy wins a boat full of sausage. I hate hate hate the narrator guys voice, its so nasally it drives me insane!!!

It feels good to get that out.

Welcome @StarlitPie

I don't mind the Johnsonville commercials. It was the creepy grandpa on the eHarmony commercials that motivated me to create my account. ;)

Now that I think about it I haven't seen any of those lately. Hmmmm

• Love 3

"Tastes like better"....theme for the almond mild or some such milk like product. 

So bad.  Annoys me.  Basically "It tastes better" but they yoda the words to make it seem like its not some completely cliché and unoriginal thought 

But they fail. 

• Love 6

Why the hell should I care that Domino's is redoing all their stores?  I mean, even if I liked their pizza and ordered from there, its a DELIVERY and/or CARRY OUT store, so what difference does it make to the customers what their stores are like?  I never eat in there.  You spend like five minutes inside if you order carry out.  I don't think I have ever been inside a Dominos. 

• Love 12
18 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Why the hell should I care that Domino's is redoing all their stores?  I mean, even if I liked their pizza and ordered from there, its a DELIVERY and/or CARRY OUT store, so what difference does it make to the customers what their stores are like?

The ads are a total fail in not explaining clearly why they're redoing the stores, but judging by the video shots, they're adding a small amount of seating. Not sure if they'll do that around here; Little Caesar's got rid of their seating so that they could switch business classes (from restaurant to food vendor) when the regulations changed.

On 9/15/2017 at 3:39 PM, peacheslatour said:

Dammit. I am a stupid, stupid peacheslatour. Why did I watch it? WHY??? "Ball room"?  Blergh.

What's even worse than calling those jeans "ballroom" jeans, is actually seeing men who wear ANY type of pants/trousers, and their entire package is explicitly outlined. Now THAT is not an attractive look. IMO

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, configdotsys said:

If I see that Best Buy college dude that spits out donut pieces while saying "Neeeeedy!" again, I am seriously going to go berserk.

Is THAT what he's saying with his mouth full of donuts?

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:10 AM, Zevious Zoquis said:

I thought of one more that I've lately found really annoying - the ad where 2 parents are standing outside the bathroom door vid-capping the action while their kids totally destroy the bathroom!  "This is gonna go viral!" they exclaim and then later dad is cleaning up the mess and mom runs in and exclaims "we've got 20,000 hits already!"  Quality parenting. 

Ohhh, I hate that ad but them hoping it "goes viral" reminds me of this for some odd reason:

I thought they no longer did this, but I've been noticing new ads featuring ingreaful brats lately. There's one in which the kid removes the "#1" from his father's cap and another one that have started getting heacy play.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, missbonnie said:

I just found this topic and I am going to assume that these have been mentioned but here goes. The idiot Sonic guys, Skittles Pox, the Drug Addiction hotline and that damn Dove chocolate with the French song. 

Like that guy in the scrubs with the stethoscope is a REAL doctor!! Lol.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, missbonnie said:

I just found this topic and I am going to assume that these have been mentioned but here goes. The idiot Sonic guys, Skittles Pox, the Drug Addiction hotline and that damn Dove chocolate with the French song. 

Welcome! You have found your people - we hate all of them and more snark is always welcome.

• Love 4

chenoa333, I sometimes like the look of tight jeans that show entire packages, but only on tv, I'm old, so I find it embarrassing in real life and I'd be a dirty old woman looking at young boys. I really don't mind oogling actors on tv, they are somehow not real or they are real, but they have things on display because that's what they do. And as complicated as all that sounds, I was on the receiving end of a couple of staring events recently and it was totally unwelcome. One was a man my own age that is no longer welcome in my home, the staring is just part of it. When I've known he was coming over, I put on a bra even though I don't wear one at home most of the time. The other event was while I was out walking this weekend. I am 67 years old, 4'11, weigh about 15 pounds more than I need to. I don't really look 67, but I also don't look 27 or 17 or even 37. I have long, mostly silver hair, my blonde of years past has turned a nice silver and I'm happy with it, I no longer use L'Oreal or what ever brand it was, even though I am worth it. But I was walking on a neighborhood street, a male person rode by on a motor scooter or motor cycle, I'm not exactly sure, but I think scooter because I didn't hear him until he was almost on top of me. Anyway, he drove past, practically fell off while he turned around to look, then he went to the corner, turned around and came back for another look. I didn't really think a lot of it until a few minutes later when I was no longer on a neighborhood street, I was on the outer road of the interstate, I like using that road because there are sidewalks, but I'm thinking my path is going to be changed to only neighborhood and major busy streets because then he had to go by me again and beep his stupid horn. It actually scared me. It is not cute, friendly, flirtatious for a man on a motorcycle or scooter or car to beep at a woman walking alone. It's creepy, it's irritating, it's rude and it's frightening, don't do it! I will be carrying my phone in my hand instead of my pocket from now on and I won't be using that outer road. And that pisses me off.

And I love the Dove chocolate commercials with Edith Piaf, sometimes, I have to go to Youtube so I can hear the entire song.

And I'm sure there are commercials that annoy and irritate me, just am not thinking of any at the moment.

• Love 3

There's one thing about the My Pillow commercials that's been annoying the hell out of me ever since I noticed it: The "ping!" sound effect that they use over and over in each one. I can't un-notice it, and now the ads are twelve times worse because of it.

6 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

There's one thing about the My Pillow commercials that's been annoying the hell out of me ever since I noticed it: The "ping!" sound effect that they use over and over in each one. I can't un-notice it, and now the ads are twelve times worse because of it.

I'm pretty fast on the mute with that one. But I notice they're still doing the "2 for 1" deal that got them in trouble: https://consumerist.com/2017/01/03/bbb-reminds-mypillow-that-perpetual-sales-are-called-lower-prices/

It's been more than enough time to pull any ads that were still in rotation.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, Brattinella said:

And I'm not even ready to discuss the inherent problems of My HOUZZ. Distasteful and an instant mute.

I've watched a couple of the celebrity infomercials out of curiosity.  And I've got to say that they were kind of a head scratcher and the way they put that commercial together is less surprising, not less annoying/ tone deaf, as a result.

I kind of expected the celebrities to work with Houzz to give some deserving person who is huge into charity work or suffering an illness or had a natural disaster help remodeling/rebuilding (like most reality shows).

But no, so far its 2 for 2 on this theme...  I'm a celebrity and my family member lives in an out dated or cramped house and now I'm going to remodel their basement as a gift that Houzz is underwriting.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

The Amazon commercial with the lovely Asian family, beautiful baby and gorgeous dog is RUINED with the horrible song they chose.  It's a mad-dash for the mute button when it comes on (which is all. the. damn. time.)

Funnily enough, I had just come in here to say the same thing. It doesn't matter how good of a mood I'm in when that thing comes on, it fucking ruins my day. That poor dog.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

The Amazon commercial with the lovely Asian family, beautiful baby and gorgeous dog is RUINED with the horrible song they chose.  It's a mad-dash for the mute button when it comes on (which is all. the. damn. time.)

Whenever I hear a bad music choice like that one, I wish I weren't too lazy to do deep research into the relationships between the ad makers and the musicians, because I'm positive I'll find something personal going on. No objective decision maker could greenlight a thing like that. 

• Love 4
On 9/19/2017 at 7:43 PM, chenoa333 said:

And why does he wear his teeny glasses halfway down his nose? It doesn't make him look any more doctor-like, if that's what they were going for.  I want to take my finger (I won't say which one) and jam those things back into place.

• Love 3
On 9/16/2017 at 5:32 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

"Tastes like better"....theme for the almond mild or some such milk like product. 

So bad.  Annoys me.  Basically "It tastes better" but they yoda the words to make it seem like its not some completely cliché and unoriginal thought 

But they fail. 

"Tastes like better" reminds me of that allergy med (or whatever) commercial: "Six is greater than one!!"

Thanks for the math lesson.

• Love 3
On 9/19/2017 at 11:04 AM, missbonnie said:

On 9/19/2017 at 5:43 PM, chenoa333 said:

17 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

And why does he wear his teeny glasses halfway down his nose? It doesn't make him look any more doctor-like, if that's what they were going for.  I want to take my finger (I won't say which one) and jam those things back into place.

I'll bet someone wanted to give him the gravitas of an older doctor without doing the research into why older doctors and other people over 40 need little glasses like that for looking at things close up (presbyopia), but young guys like him wouldn't. They did get the halfway down the nose thing right, though.

• Love 1
On 9/13/2017 at 7:05 PM, tanyak said:

I assume the ad is selling underwear because his name was under that logo? The funny thing is, Ronaldo always seems to be half naked anyway. All that oohing and ahhing in the ad like it's a rare thing. Hell, that's a Tuesday on his Instagram page. 

Nope. Altice is a broadband internet service for mobile devices.  You've probably never heard of it because it only exists in the NYC metro area in the US.

On 9/11/2017 at 7:16 AM, seasons said:

This. This makes me stabby. Everything about it. Especially that incredibly irritating music. 

See my comments just upthread about what it's advertising (hint:  it's NOT his underwear!).

On 9/12/2017 at 4:39 PM, proserpina65 said:

I had it on mute and I still hated it.  Of course, everything about Cristiano Ronaldo makes me stabby, especially his smug, smirky face.

Sorry, all, I should have mentioned that the Ronaldo ad is for cable TV. Supposed to show the speed of transmission as the picture of him gets sent all over again and again. Blech.

Latest irritation:

"I'm soooo hungry!"

" Ice cream..."

"French fries..."

Shoot me.

https://contrave.com/video-assets/

Edited by seasons
Well, that explains the voices in my head.
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, seasons said:

Latest irritation:

"I'm soooo hungry!"

" Ice cream..."

"French fries..."

Shoot me.

https://contrave.com/video-assets/

I noticed it's started airing again too just in time for the holiday season to make women feel bad about eating. It took some looking but I found that damn commercial on YT. I hate this thing with the fire of a thousand suns.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I noticed it's started airing again too just in time for the holiday season to make women feel bad about eating. It took some looking but I found that damn commercial on YT. I hate this thing with the fire of a thousand suns.

That brain made up of crouching dopey women. That's some f*cked up shit right there.

Good point Jaded about making women feel bad about eating.

Send that desert tray my way, especially if I'm having grilled chicken and veggies for dinner.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Okay, I finally saw the T-Mobile/Netflix ad and it is so annoying, with the BoopBoopBoopBaDoop sound, repeatedly.  Quit it!

I actually used to be neutral on the Netflix sound in general (in fact, I maybe even liked it, because I associated it with the show starting) but for the first time since that commercial came out, I was watching something on Netflix that had that sound, and when I heard it, I had this Pavlovian response of annoyance.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, seasons said:

Volume is really low but this is too snarkworthy to miss...

Stick with it until the end.

Sorry though that you can't get those two minutes back... lol.

Does My Pillow arrive with your own personal cross on a chain? <snark>  Sleepy Dude Customer isn't wearing one at the beginning, but he's got one dangling out his shirt at the end, just like Mikey. 

Mikey seems like such a milquetoast kinda' guy that I was floored to read of his background:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smallbusiness/how-this-entrepreneur-went-from-a-crack-addict-to-a-self-made-multimillionaire/ar-AAsg4oY

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1

I'm starting to be really annoyed by Joan Lunden's A Place for Mom ads. There's a line about them matching up economically, personality and several other criteria. But for people in my socio-economic class, they're staying in their homes until they die or as long as possible before their family puts them in a nursing home and personality of the resident and the home are not even under any consideration, it's where ever they can find a bed they can afford after selling off all their assets.

And a fairly new, but annoying ad is for some loan company for businesses, a big song and dance number like a Broadway show. Rapid Advance, that's the name. Stupid, irritating!

• Love 3