Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, bilgistic said:

I can't hate on him as a teacher (well, the casting of him as a teacher). He's supposedly the "fun, cool" teacher, and I appreciate the choice of using a black man as a teacher, which I'm sure must be the most minor of the minorities in teaching.

I remember only three black male teachers in my entire life from Kindergarten through college. One of them was a driving instructor and one was a basketball coach that I assume had at least one class, but I don't recall what it was.

I had a white male teacher in third grade and loved him. He read us A Wrinkle in Time--several mesmerizing pages a day--and taught us multiplication tables. I struggle with multiplication to this day. I have an English degree.

Having the black Mr. Jackson "rap" is a little on the nose, but as a white woman, that's a cultural aspect I can't disparage, even though I'm guessing a bunch of white dudes sat around and thought they were making a brilliant commercial. I think his hair is braids twisted and pinned together atop his head, which is another cultural touchstone I can't address because I don't have the experience.

My only issue is the ad is played eleventy-billion times an hour and in every show I stream. It's also showing up online as still ads in articles I read online. It's reached saturation point.

He really is a teacher.

http://www.toneyjackson.com/

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Then why not show all three people alone?  Why show white and Latino couples but a lone black woman?

If they included a black couple and a single Latino, would you be as offended?

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Because racism is deeply ingrained in our culture. That's as nice as I can say it. Let's stop dismissing @Neurochick's experience and feelings.

Thank you.

As you said, racism is so deeply ingrained in this culture that we, and I mean all of us, don't see what's wrong with showing people of other races coupled, and seeing a black woman alone.  The link I provided pretty much explains it.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6

Mod Note:

People can interpret things in different ways, all perspectives are equally valid. Some may prefer to view it as a woman alone out of choice; independent women FTW!  Please remember anyone being portrayed as single isn't a diss and to imply as much is fairly insulting to those (no matter their race) who are single as a life choice. 

As a general reminder: Please respect all opinions even if you disagree and don't attempt to force your personal opinions on others or be dismissive of them. That said, I think it's time to move on from this particular discussion.

Thanks.

• Love 16

Oh man I had to  register just to take part in this topic.  I LOVE bitching about annoying commercials!  :D

Here's a few of my "faves"...

Trivago Guy of course.  So weird.  There's just something not quite right with this dude...and the one where he does a little dance?  It's uncomfortable to watch!  Part of the problem also is that the company seems like such a...errr...non-service.  It's like if 25 years ago a company advertised that they would look up numbers in the phone book for you or something. 

The Chevy "real people not actors" ads.  They've started to dwindle finally but for a while there you couldn't watch TV for more than 30 seconds without seeing Mr. pasty doe-eyed soft beard dude pointing out things about cars that nobody cares about and then listening attentively to the utterly moronic responses of all the real people.  The ads should actually be titled "real annoying people, not actors."  It truly seems like they set out to make all these people come across like idiots.  They even did one ad where the pitch man shows the car to a bunch of dogs!  lol...tells you something about how much the "real people" really matter...

Oral B.  Actually, pretty much any toothbrush/paste or razor ads are almost universally stupid and annoying.  You'd think you were talking about a Formula 1 car or something!  It's a fucking toothbrush!  lol...but the Oral B ads where some gal recounts asking her dentist if an electric toothbrush would be "better than a manual."  Something about the way they are filmed and the way the people speak always bugs me.  The one featuring the black woman where she does the worlds worst "mind blown" hand sign is really bad - she has a strange juttery way of speaking with little pauses and then quick phrases.  The Sensodyne ads are bad too where "a real dentist" is being "interviewed" about how they always recommend Sensodyne for their patients with sensitive teeth...oh!  And the ad where the two girls are looking at pictures and one exclaims loudly "why aren't you smiling in any of these pictures??" and it's because the other one has yellow teeth poor girl!  Luckily her friend is able to save her!

edit - thought of one more that I've lately found really annoying - the ad where 2 parents are standing outside the bathroom door vid-capping the action while their kids totally destroy the bathroom!  "This is gonna go viral!" they exclaim and then later dad is cleaning up the mess and mom runs in and exclaims "we've got 20,000 hits already!"  Quality parenting. 

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

And the ad where the two girls are looking at pictures and one exclaims loudly "why aren't you smiling in any of these pictures??" and it's because the other one has yellow teeth poor girl! 

But the picture-erasing lady DOES have white teeth. Blindingly, unnaturally so. And then the other one tells her use...whatever. Such a bad commercial, I can't remember what it's for. WHY does everyone have to have unnaturally white teeth? Teeth aren't supposed to be white as snow.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But the picture-erasing lady DOES have white teeth. Blindingly, unnaturally so. And then the other one tells her use...whatever. Such a bad commercial, I can't remember what it's for. WHY does everyone have to have unnaturally white teeth? Teeth aren't supposed to be white as snow.

yeah and the strange intensity and over-concerned way the first girl acts is funny...you'd think she was wondering why her friend had sprouted a second head in the pictures.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

yeah and the strange intensity and over-concerned way the first girl acts is funny...you'd think she was wondering why her friend had sprouted a second head in the pictures.

Right? Who stands hovering over their friends policing what they do with the stuff on their phones?

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Right? Who stands hovering over their friends policing what they do with the stuff on their phones?

oh I just looked up the ad and see that I had it wrong.  She asks "why are you deleting these photos?"  Guess I need to pay closer attention to these annoying adverts!  lol...

actually, the version of the ad I see on youtube has a line in it that I haven't seen on TV before.  The worried girl takes a second look at the photos and says "ohhh yeah.  They are a little yellow."  And she's a little more likeable.  Wonder why that is always cut from the ad because the thing works better with that line left in...

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
Just now, Zevious Zoquis said:

oh I just looked up the ad and see that I had it wrong.  She asks "why are you deleting these photos?"  Guess I need to pay closer attention to these annoying adverts!  lol...

Still, it's none of her business what her friend does with her photos.

• Love 4

yeah and the shot at the end where they snap a happy selfie and thank god the teeth are finally pristine white and life is good - the whole theme of adverts using modern smart phone and social media catch phrases and habits in a non-ironic/sarcastic way is really annoying.  It seems many advertising agencies think most people are fully on-board with the whole facebook narcissism thing.  Like most of the population of North America just thinks its great when people are walking around snapping selfies and capturing vids to try and "go viral" on youtube.

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 3

The "Target Run" commercials bug me for some reason. I don't advertise that I'm going to Target. I sneak away, take my time walking around the store and come home with something I probably didn't need. 

Theres a Chevy dealership here in SE Virginia with a young guy going around high fiving everyone. He tells the viewers to stop on by, but he's off on Wednesday. It makes me want to show up on Wednesday just out of spite. 

Edited by Stacey1014
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Christ what a moron. Is Zach The Pimp actually talking to his henchwoman on fucking speaker phone?!? Oh Hilary where are you, come out to play...

Zach the pimp is over at Young and the Restless. lol

So there is a new ad. I think it's justrad or justreb or just something or other. The girl gets boots at the door and screams, so the husband screams. Then she sees some boots in the mirror at night and screams. So the husband wakes up and screams. Then she has a walk in closet full of boots and screams. He walks in and screams. She sounds an air horn at him and asks why he is screaming. Then sounds it again.

I had to disassemble my weapons, clean them, reassemble them, test them, and get ready to meet the ad agency.

• Love 3

A local jewelry store has been running a Patek Philippe ad, with a father and son out on a drive in an expensive convertible. This kid looks to be about 11, wearing a dress shirt tucked into khaki pants. My husband looked at the ad and said "that kid is so going to have his ass kicked at school"

Makes you want to grab your pitchfork and form an angry mob!

• Love 1

I am so sick of some of the commercials that run on almost every episode of a show I watch.

First is that horrible shrieking Cathy Miller and her stupid brownie pan rhyme about how difficult it is to make brownies that don't crumble.  Just shut up!

Second is that kid who talks with a fake sounding baby voice for the Shiners hospital.  I can't hit the mute button fast enough.

The worst is the charcoal black face mask.  It is so disgusting.  I do not want to see a close-up shot of someone squeezing blackheads. 

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Callasin said:

First is that horrible shrieking Cathy Miller and her stupid brownie pan rhyme about how difficult it is to make brownies that don't crumble.  Just shut up!

Her voice is like a million fingernails on a million chalkboards.

I want to yell at the AT&T ad which features the  chubby  little boy that morphs into a morbidly obese man who I doubt is even able to walk who is  asking for another juice box that he has had probably 100,000 too many juice boxes. I  just checked the label on the "healthful"  pomegranate juice I have been drinking and it has 34 grams of sugar per 8 ozs - 8+ teaspoons!

• Love 1

Hate the Secret deodorant commercial with a bunch of women lined up, pits exposed.  A voiceover informs us there are all sorts of shapes to women's underarms, but thank goodness Secret is able to handle all that uniqueness.  The ad closes with a woman saying something like, "And I've got another one!" (referring, I guess, to her other armpit).  I would gladly pay some small monthly fee NOT to have commercials from the Northern Bears, any pharmaceutical company (especially ones with Fleetwood Mac songs in them), any commercials that explain or discuss itching or oozing sores from any condition (including Shingles), constipation....the list goes on and on.  When cable was introduced, I'm pretty sure we paid a premium not to have any ads, but maybe I'm delusional.

• Love 8

There is a drug commercial with some doucebag roaming the city streets with a film crew, miming setting up shots and talking to supposedly random passerbys about their condition.   The guy tries to be oh so serious and concerned with his deadpan stare, glasses and grey stubble.   The guy just really bugs the crap out of me and I wish one of the interviewees would punch him in his smug face.  

• Love 2

Good God, there is an ad that is annoying the hell out of me right now.  The commercial itself is not that bad, but it has this bouncy, catchy song that catches your attention every time it airs, and it's airing at least once, and sometimes twice, in every commercial break.  And because it's for a local medical group, and it's enrollment time, it's going to air for the next four freaking months.  I'm already screaming every time it comes on.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I would gladly pay some small monthly fee NOT to have commercials from the Northern Bears...

Those are Charmin bears. Northern is the obnoxious "You can forget your bathroom traumas, but the [wallpaper, paper roll holder, assorted toys left in the bathroom] can't." ads. And I always roll my eyes at the notion of one's bathroom "experiences" being so effing traumatic. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, riley702 said:

Those are Charmin bears. Northern is the obnoxious "You can forget your bathroom traumas, but the [wallpaper, paper roll holder, assorted toys left in the bathroom] can't." ads. And I always roll my eyes at the notion of one's bathroom "experiences" being so effing traumatic. 

I used to buy the ones with the puppy ads, but then they switched to the obnoxious British "bum wipe" woman. I'd go store brand but they don't do double rolls so they aren't actually cheaper.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, riley702 said:

And I always roll my eyes at the notion of one's bathroom "experiences" being so effing traumatic. 

If your bathroom experiences are that traumatic, I think it will take more than a different brand of paper to fix that!

• Love 11

If your bathroom experiences are that traumatic, I think it will take more than a different brand of paper to fix that!

your bathroom experiences are not usually that traumatic for you, but the wall decorations, toilet paper rolls and random toys have to observe it and some of that could be quite traumatic! I have had some experiences that could be traumatic if another creature was observing. And maybe it's time for some Pepto Bismal, thinking of their catchy jingle, I'm trying to be delicate, someone may be eating.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Jaded said:

Between watching The Daily Show, Colbert and Late Night with Seth Meyers I've seen this commercial more times then I've cared to.

I'd not seen that before, so thanks for giving me a new thing to hate.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Jaded said:

Between watching The Daily Show, Colbert and Late Night with Seth Meyers I've seen this commercial more times then I've cared to.

Man, it doesn't matter which production she's in, Kristen Stewart can't come up with any other facial expression beyond "constipated".

• Love 22
On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, Zevious Zoquis said:

yeah and the shot at the end where they snap a happy selfie and thank god the teeth are finally pristine white and life is good - the whole theme of adverts using modern smart phone and social media catch phrases and habits in a non-ironic/sarcastic way is really annoying.  It seems many advertising agencies think most people are fully on-board with the whole facebook narcissism thing.  Like most of the population of North America just thinks its great when people are walking around snapping selfies and capturing vids to try and "go viral" on youtube.

Plus, her teeth don't look any whiter at the end of the commercial.  They look just the same to me.

• Love 7

This will be unpopular but I grew up with cold, unemotional parents: the commercial with the guy sitting in a Volvo or whatever blubbering about not being ready for his little girl to get married... give me a break. The guy looks so familiar. Is he famous or on some other commercial these days?

16 hours ago, Jaded said:

I just saw this commercial today.  Ugh, I'd forgotten that Kristen Stewart existed and now this commercial has to come and remind me.  

• Love 4
On 9/6/2017 at 4:19 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

I would gladly pay some small monthly fee NOT to have commercials from the Northern Bears, any pharmaceutical company (especially ones with Fleetwood Mac songs in them), 

If you think about it, both of those commercials could use the Fleetwood Mac song.   Picture the Northern Bears singing "You can go your own way ..."

(Are you that broke, Lindsey Buckingham?)

• Love 2